40 replies to this topic

#1 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

This from the daily NEA newsbrief "The Opening bell" June 06, 2011

(Wendy) Davis' Profile Raised By Filibuster. (banner)

The New York Times (6/5, Ramshaw, Subscription Publication) reports that Davis's filibuster of the original bill, which "effectively torpedoed the 82nd legislative session," "has catapulted this petite, eloquent and seemingly fearless politician into the spotlight, which she has seized to mobilize the state's downtrodden and outnumbered Democrats and to take jabs at Mr. Perry's potential presidential aspirations." The Times paints the filibuster as a watershed for Davis, "who had her first daughter as a teenager, was the first in her family to go to college, and worked her way from junior college and a Tarrant County trailer park to Harvard Law School and the Fort Worth City Council. But what effect, if any, the moment will have on school financing or Ms. Davis's political future remains unclear."

Davis is suddenly a recognized name on the state and national stage. There is certainly difference of opinion among political hacks as to whether the recent filibuster will be good for her long-term career. I personally commend Senator Davis for her stand against the recent attack against public education in Texas. Time will tell whether voters will realize the serious damage to the state's future if education is not a major priority for the state.

#2 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

It was a headline grabbing selfish stunt on the part of Davis. She has only delayed the inevitable at great cost to us taxpayers. The cost of this special session could put many more teachers out of work. A shameful act in my opinion. I am hoping one of her final acts as any Representative of mine.
www.fortworthview.com

#3 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

Just because one is out numbered is no excuse for not speaking up for the educational needs of the children of this state. Like Councilman Burns, who spoke up against bullying and by doing so showcased to the state and the nation the great character that some of our elected official possess; she will and should be considered for a state wide office some day - perhaps Governor.

Keep Fort Worth folksy and on the side of prioritizing education.

#4 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:54 PM

Other than getting headlines for Senator Davis, what specifically did it accomplish?

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:49 PM

You could argue that it was symbolic of her support of public education and educators, but as far as it changing the ultimate outcome, it was pretty pointless. Redistricting is going to be a much bigger problem for her future as a state senator than this filibuster.

#6 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:58 AM

Well, we are proud of her, love her much, but this is not a politcs site. Perhaps this whole thread should be locked.

#7 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 08:58 AM

Well, we are proud of her, love her much, but this is not a politcs site. Perhaps this whole thread should be locked.

Good observation

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

It's in miscellaneous, might fit in city issues in a round about way, since there isn't a clear cut spot, miscellaneous will do.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

~moved to Politics

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#10 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Senator Davis' District 10 to remain basically unchanged, at least temporarily:

Friends – today, the constituents of Senate District 10 scored a huge victory!!! A three judge panel in San Antonio joined unanimously in ruling that Senate District 10 should be restored to its current configuration – rejoining Southeast Fort Worth, Forest Hill, Everman, and the Near Northside to the community where they can continue to coalesce and elect a candidate who will represent them. Thank you to all of you, my friends and supporters, for your encouragement and faith in me throughout this journey. You have stood by me and I am so, so appreciative for each and every one of you!

Your friend, and proudly, YOUR State Senator,

--wendy

Star-Telegram story:

http://www.star-tele...by-federal.html

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

First off, YES! I am a Wendy Davis Fan.

The move she made last night at the tail end of the legislative special session attracted enormous interest, from the filled rotunda of the state capitol to the national evening news. Sen. Davis' stand for women's rights may set the stage for a major political career, one that could transcend the state. The state GOP has tried at least three times to silence her (the bucket-loads of cash to her political/medical senatorial opponent a couple of years ago, the readily transparent redistricting attempt to take her district away, and now the veiled attempts to silence her during this latest filibuster.) My take is that she gets stronger and more recognized and they look more foolish and weakened when they fail. 

Here is Bud's opinion on the topic:

http://www.star-tele...r-a-bigger.html

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

The nearly 200,000 people who watched the live Senate feed last night (including myself) got a very interesting view of Texas politics.

My blog: Doohickie

#13 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

Yes sir! Go Wendy Davis
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#14 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

"Hook'em" Wendy!

#15 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

Whatever your political views, you have to acknowledge that Wendy has put Fort Worth in the political spotlight.  I can't recall the last personage who did that, unless it was Congressman Jim Wright.

#16 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

With State Sen. Wendy Davis's announcement, sounds like it's going to be a tough race for governor next year.  I'm wondering if Davis will have a primary opponent, possibly Bill White.  Not sure if Abbott will be challenged.  Incidentally, the earlier posts in this thread had June 2011 dates regarding the recent filibuster, obviously a glitch of some sort.

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

I think the dates are correct.  If you remember, she filibustered twice.  Once in 2011 for the budget cuts in school financing and then again this year.

#18 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I think the dates are correct.  If you remember, she filibustered twice.  Once in 2011 for the budget cuts in school financing and then again this year.

Thanks.  Shows you how much I follow the state legislature!

#19 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Wendy was our city councilwoman about a decade ago. She was nice enough to show up at some of our neighborhood meetings and seemed to be rational and relatively honest for someone in politics. No other councilperson has come to our neighborhood (Samuels Ave.-Rock Island) before or since so I'll give her credit for that. Her filibustering "drama" is an old political favorite and is quite popular these days in our polarized, brinkmanship kind of political climate. (Ted Cruz's reciting Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs & Ham during his recent "filibuster" was a thinly veiled satirized caricature of Wendy's more serious version-too bad we don't have a Texas TV version of SNL) Anyhow, as much as I think Wendy is a nice person and perhaps better than average politician in her honesty, Texas has become over the past few decades (since "W" trounced Ann Richards in the Republican Tsunami) as solidly Red State Republican as it was as a Yellow-Dog Democratic state from the post-Civil War Reconstruction era until Ann Richards's term ended the long Texas Democratic era. The Conservative political ideology that characterized the old Texas Democratic party was unwisely abandoned for a more mainstream version that was more inclusive. Thus the Republicans recognized and seized the opportunity by adding the vital to Texans social conservatism to their platform virtually insuring their political dominance for the foreseeable future. I expect Abbot will win handily but if enough minority voters line up and vote then Davis will at least have a respectable showing in the race. I think Davis personally knows this but is looking more towards the long term and a possible national political career. In a hypothetical scenario where someone like Hillary Clinton were elected president (not very likely, IMO, but possible) I could see Davis moving up the political career ladder to a cabinet position. Given that Abbott already has a 20-fold financial backing advantage over Davis and Republicans have honed their negative political ads to a fine and quite politically lethal art, Davis poses little threat to Abbott in the governor's race or to the Texas Republican political establishment. Some demographic predictions suggest the Texas Republican political juggernaut may be challenged in a few decades by growing minority populations but currently its as solid as the granite in the State Capitol building.  

#20 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

You've stated some good points about the political realities in Texas.  You may be correct in your assessment of the outcome of the race for governor. I would note, however, that, even before Davis declared her candidacy, she was trailing Republican Gregg Abbott by only eight percentage points (29% to 21% in the Texas Lyceum Poll). Evidently many Texas voters haven't made up their minds about Abbott and may be willing to consider Davis.  We shall see.

#21 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

Wendy was our city councilwoman about a decade ago. She was nice enough to show up at some of our neighborhood meetings and seemed to be rational and relatively honest for someone in politics. No other councilperson has come to our neighborhood (Samuels Ave.-Rock Island) before or since so I'll give her credit for that.   

Joel Burns did show up at Samuels Ave. Rock Island meetings .

#22 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Wendy was our city councilwoman about a decade ago. She was nice enough to show up at some of our neighborhood meetings and seemed to be rational and relatively honest for someone in politics. No other councilperson has come to our neighborhood (Samuels Ave.-Rock Island) before or since so I'll give her credit for that.   

Joel Burns did show up at Samuels Ave. Rock Island meetings .

Must have missed him somehow. I'll take your word for it. My spouse and I both voted for Mr. Burns and will vote for Ms. Davis (as we did for Bill White) but I've followed Texas politics for years and feel that Abbott has the momentum. Like it or not, Texas is a red Republican state with little hope of that changing in the next few years. Someday the Hispanic minority will become the majority and then Democratic candidates would have a better chance at winning but Latinos have had a lower than average voter participation rate in state and national elections especially in the younger demographic.

#23 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Her [Wendy Davis] filibustering "drama" is an old political favorite and is quite popular these days in our polarized, brinkmanship kind of political climate. (Ted Cruz's reciting Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs & Ham during his recent "filibuster" was a thinly veiled satirized caricature of Wendy's more serious version-too bad we don't have a Texas TV version of SNL) .... Texas has become over the past few decades (since "W" trounced Ann Richards in the Republican Tsunami) as solidly Red State Republican as it was as a Yellow-Dog Democratic state from the post-Civil War Reconstruction era until Ann Richards's term ended the long Texas Democratic era.....the Republicans recognized and seized the opportunity by adding the vital to Texans social conservatism to their platform virtually insuring their political dominance for the foreseeable future.  In a hypothetical scenario where someone like Hillary Clinton were elected president (not very likely, IMO, but possible)... Davis poses little threat to Abbott in the governor's race or to the Texas Republican political establishment. Some demographic predictions suggest the Texas Republican political juggernaut may be challenged in a few decades by growing minority populations but currently its as solid as the granite in the State Capitol building.  

It is way tooooooooo soon to make such prognostications.

With all of its large cities and counties, except Fort Worth and Tarrant County going blue, Texas is no longer solidly red and is already trending towards a state which will be up for grabs in the very near future - "Think of Florida or Virginia" and you have Texas next.  Yes thanks to your so call "minorities" who are combining in numbers to become a majority; a continuing influx of moderate to progressive voters from other states; and a younger more inclusive population in general; and Republicans will have to spend enormously to keep Texas and to have even a prayer of getting more than 125 electoral votes in a national election. 

I predict that Davis will show and lead the way in putting the last remain big state, Texas,  in the blue column.

Hilliary Clinton, should she hypothetically capture just the states that President Obama captured in 2012, which is very likely as she is already considered the favorite in all of those states - she would be elected president. 

As for Senator Ted Cruz,  he is cannibalizing his own party; as well as demoralizing a large segment of the Texas GOP who he splintered in the GOP primary.  He is becoming a man without friends or colleagues - the New McCarthy"; he is generally thought of derisively as a "know it all";  and he is one who is being seen as someone who is only interested in his own ambitions at the expense of any and everyone.  Satirically,  I think Ted Cruz is just the right person to go head to head with Clinton.

#24 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Renamerusk, it would be encouraging for your predictions to come true and I do believe someday they will but Texas is an unpredictable state in many ways except for politics. During the post-Civil War Reconstruction era Texas turned solidly Democrat (as Republicans were then the party of Lincoln and the Union)  and that remained an immutable reality until late in the 20th century. But, as noted, mostly because of moral-religious-social issues, once a majority of voting Texans decided the Republican Party best represented their moral/religious/social values, it was like flipping a switch. It would be hard to count the number of elected Texas officials who expediently switched parties in a short period of time from Democrat to Republican to remain electable. I wouldn't quickly dismiss Ted Cruz...he has legions of die hard supporters in Texas just as Ron Paul or Ross Perot had in their day. I think in a presidential race he would have a serious chance at defeating Hillary Clinton because in her time during the Clinton administration she was politically polarizing.  (she tried to put forward a national health care insurance plan that was unsuccessful) We may have a chance in the next Presidential election to find out just how "Progressive" Texas really is.

#25 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

One thing Democrats have going, even in Texas, these days is that they seem more united than Republicans.  Seems that way to me, anyway.  John S, good historical accounts.  You also need to remember that Dwight Eisenhower's era served to divide Democrats between the conservatives who "liked Ike" and the liberals who liked the Democratic presidential nominee Adlai Stevenson and, of course, our own Ralph Yarborough for Senate.

#26 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

With the "minority" population rising, democrats should benefit.

• LSY likes this

#27 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

John S . Is right about Hispanic vote . And how it may change politics in this state. Must point out. In that once mostly Hispanic. Samuels Rock Island neighborhood. Our whole Hispanic family is Republican. My 83 year old dad love's Reagan . I too love Reagan. Just pointing out it's not just a generational thing. And I know Hispanics lean Democrat. Of those who do vote. Just don't think Hispanics will vote for one party 97% in every election. 

#28 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

John S . Is right about Hispanic vote . And how it may change politics in this state. Must point out. In that once mostly Hispanic. Samuels Rock Island neighborhood. Our whole Hispanic family is Republican. My 83 year old dad love's Reagan . I too love Reagan. Just pointing out it's not just a generational thing. And I know Hispanics lean Democrat. Of those who do vote. Just don't think Hispanics will vote for one party 97% in every election. 

Thanks for pointing that out. On some issues such as limiting abortion rights many Hispanics side with Republicans. Ronald Reagan changed the political landscape and proved a conservative could win a presidential race. There were doubts that anyone except a centrist Republican could win a presidential election after conservative Barry Goldwater's defeat in 1964. Despite all of the negativity surrounding the Nixon presidency many of his actions such as creating the EPA and backing environmental protection were far different (almost "left wing")  than the much more conservative Republican party of today. But go back far enough, the Republicans supported minority rights (of the freed former slaves) and would today be considered socially "liberal" while the Democrats, at least in the South, supported the repressive Jim Crow laws (such as literacy tests and poll taxes) in the post-Civil War era. The only thing consistent over time is the lack of a third party making much progress in recent elections-for a while Libertarians seemed poised to gain a share of the electorate but some of them morphed into the Tea Party segment of the Republican party. Like it or not, we are still a two party political system.

#29 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

John S . Is right about Hispanic vote . And how it may change politics in this state. Must point out. In that once mostly Hispanic. Samuels Rock Island neighborhood. Our whole Hispanic family is Republican. My 83 year old dad love's Reagan . I too love Reagan.

... On some issues such as limiting abortion rights many Hispanics side with Republicans....

Neither the 1980 or the 2012 Presidential Election Results for Texas by county support the assumption that Hispanics traditionally side with Republicans. 

Social issues, like abortion, are more relevant to the sub groups that are to be found in every voting block. It seems like other past and perceived issues surrounding civil rights ethnic groups are more important; and that the issue of immigration reform is and remains the key factor to attracting the Hispanic vote. A favorably viewed Immigration Reform by Hispanics is pivotal to winning their vote; not necessarily abortion.

Neither Reagan’s or Romney’s social issue agenda was able to win the vote of the heavily populated Hispanic region of South Texas and San Antonio, whereas Carter and Obama did very well in this region.

For further proof, see below.

Reagan v. Carter, Texas 1980:

http://www.uselectio...ps=48&year=1980

Obama v. Romney, Texas 2012:

http://www.politico....esident/2012/TX

#30 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

Now in Denton pointed out his Hispanic Family votes Republican. I opined that some voters who are strongly opposed to abortion (mostly Catholics and Evangelicals) might also take sides with Republicans over that issue. Side note: Sen. Wendy Davis captured national attention with her lengthy filibuster over a Republican sponsored Bill to limit abortion services availability in Texas which was never in doubt about its passage, as shortly thereafter it did pass and was signed into law. However, although both political parties seek Hispanic voter support the Democratic party has had more success with Hispanics and other minority voters. (I believe I stated the same in earlier posts)  In time, as minorities in Texas become the majority-all demographic forecasts point to that transition- assuming they remain largely in the Democratic fold, they could determine the outcome of future Texas elections.

#31 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

First. I wish the media will stay with one color .1980 Republicans were blue .And now their red . And vice versa with the Democrats . As A HISPANIC myself. I take offence with foolish talk from the Anglo Left "issue of immigration reform is and remains the key factor to attracting the Hispanic vote" To me that's very racist ! Many times you almost never ever see a Hispanic in those talking head shows. From either the Left or Right. When talking about the Hispanic  vote. My Great Uncle "Compos" Who was mentioned in a ST story about the old Rock Island neighborhood. Served in WWII. His son in Vietnam.

My dad in Korea. In the last ten years. We like everybody else. Worried about Jobs , And my many Nephews and Cousins in the military not coming home from the middle east. Polls can and do skew to fit a agenda. Both the Left and Right do this. And all it takes is one more vote then the other side to carry a county. We all know this. Tarrant went red last year. So 100% of the people in Tarrant County are Republicans? No of course not. 

As Far as Mexico. Sadly it has everything going for it. It is close to being a very rich country. Like the U.S. and Canada. But corruption from many but not all. Politicians, Police. Who work with the Drug Lords keeps that from happening. Bringing in the whole population into the US is the only solution ? No go after the real problem. Corruption and Drug Lords. Yes if your parents are illegal .Yea I see how immigration is very important . But saying immigration is a key factor to get the Hispanic vote. Is a very racist statement. And I take offence to that statement.

#32 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

First. I wish the media will stay with one color .1980 Republicans were blue .And now their red . And vice versa with the Democrats.

Prior to 2000, the colors were not set in stone and frequently switched.  http://en.wikipedia....he_color_scheme

Ever since Bush v. Gore, the colors have pretty much stayed the same.

#33 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

It is my understanding from some state level party folks that the road has been essentially cleared for Wendy Davis to get through the primary without serious opposition.  The party is betting heavily on Wendy's momentum.  She's very smart, attractive, and has pretty decent political connections for someone without any meaningful political experience.

Personally I don't think she gets all the way through, but I could be wrong.  Whether or not Texas is red or blue, it is still very conservative.  And Wendy is pretty far to the left (by Texas standards).  I don't think she'll push votes away from the party, but she's not going to inspire conservative democrats to hit the polls in big numbers.  She will, however, inspire a lot of republicans to vote just to vote against her.  Republicans REALLY don't like her record and they don't like the way she's conducted herself in her short stint in the Senate.  She'll be under the most intense scrutiny of her life.  And I just don't think she's got the political machine and political experience to weather the storm her first time at bat.  There's just too much headwind.

edit: Also, not being a Texan could hurt her somewhat.  It shouldn't matter.  Many of the greatest Texans weren't from Texas.  But it will come up.

• LSY likes this

#34 LSY

LSY

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

The Texas Democratic Party has a limited number of potential candidates to challenge Wendy in a primary.

After her filibuster, Sid Bass donated $100,000 to her campaign. She'll be fine in the D primary since she has Sid's ear and wallet. I think she'll ultimately be defeated by Abbott in the general election.

The R's will certainly have a tighter race than they have had in decades.

#35 LSY

LSY

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

True, the Hispanic population is increasing in Texas. Hispanics aren't as organized and as motivated as other minority groups. They simply just don't turn out at the polls.

Henry Cisneros' shortcomings really hurt the Hispanic Ds.

#36 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

edit: Also, not being a Texan could hurt her somewhat.  It shouldn't matter.  Many of the greatest Texans weren't from Texas.  But it will come up.

Why? - it did not come up or matter much for either Governor George Bush or Senator Ted Cruz.

#37 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

It's already come up for Davis. "Go back to California" is a popular rebuttal to anything she says.

#38 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

It's already come up for Davis. "Go back to California" is a popular rebuttal to anything she says.

Ha ha...only demonstrates the degree of their intelligence.  Davis was born in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with her parents when she was five.

#39 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Ha ha...only demonstrates the degree of their intelligence.  Davis was born in Rhode Island and moved to Texas with her parents when she was five.

"Excuse me, Governor, have you stopped beating your wife?"

"Huh? What? No.  I mean, yes."

Headline: "Governor no longer beats wife..."

Look, it doesn't matter what makes sense, it's politics.  If politics made sense Catholics and Hispanics would all be Republicans.  Everybody would buy into a single payer health care system.  John Kerry wouldn't have gotten derailed by the Swift Boat Veterans.  James Stockdale wouldn't have been crucified for saying "Who am I?  Why am I here?"  Democrats would realize that out of control entitlement spending ultimately pinches the money available for programs that benefit educating and improving the environment for their primary constituents, young and poor people.  Republicans would realize that they're trying to reduce programs that primarily benefit their primary constituents, retired people.  Politics defies logic.

It's not about what's right.  It's about winning at all costs.

#40 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

Gubernatorial Candidate Wendy Davis on NBC's TODAY SHOW:

http://www.today.com...osts-2D11934722

#41 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

This is jumping ahead since we're not even past the primaries:  Wonder if they'll be a real live debate of issues between Gregg Abbott and Wendy Davis?  I remember in 2010 then Democrat gubernatorial nominee Bill White sought a debate with Gov. Perry, but Perry declined.  White ended up debating an empty chair on the TCC south campus in a one-on-one interview with a Star-Telegram columnist (forgot his name).   This was unfortunate but looking back on it, I guess Perry (of whom I'm no fan) wisely chose to keep silent.  But with no incumbency this time around, the current two candidates have no reason to hide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users