Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

DT: Omni Fort Worth Hotel (447 FT/33 ST/2008)

Downtown Hotels New Construction Skyscrapers

• Please log in to reply
536 replies to this topic

#51 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

Now they just need to fix the one way "pairs"---How can Jones be a northbound one way street when turning onto it from EB Lancaster is an illegal turn? What type of Aggie engineering was that??? That's totally messed up and needs to be fixed...

#52 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 18 2006, 11:31 PM) View Post

What type of Aggie engineering was that???

Tread carefully...

#53 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:01 AM

oh... you Aggies... always so paranoid! wacko.gif tongue.gif

#54 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE(AdamB @ Dec 19 2006, 01:01 PM) View Post

oh... you Aggies... always so paranoid! wacko.gif tongue.gif

I think we're defensive and self absorbed, not paranoid. rolleyes.gif

#55 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 11:49 AM

Defensive? Check! Self Absorbed? Check! Paranoid about someone "disprespecting" you? CHECK! Often times BORDERLINE PSYCHOTIC? BIGGGG CHECK!

In all reality I have nothing but love for you Aggies. You're a strange bunch, but overall pretty good guys. smile.gif

#56 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:58 PM

It appears now they have about half of the piers drilled and poured for the building. All of this is still taking place on the north end of the site. I have also noticed that the foundation work is taking place for some of the elevator core that will serve the entire building. Rock excavation is still taking place where the old ramp was located on the southeast corner of the site. I think it is interesting that they are now working on the foundation, yet we still don't know how tall the building will be.

#57 grow_smart

grow_smart

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(redhead @ Dec 18 2006, 09:31 PM) View Post

Now they just need to fix the one way "pairs"---How can Jones be a northbound one way street when turning onto it from EB Lancaster is an illegal turn? What type of Aggie engineering was that??? That's totally messed up and needs to be fixed...

Hey redhead - this left-turn is prohibited because of the lack of visibility 'through' the bridge that was built for the TRE. I heard the City may look into this again when Lancaster is re-opened; but I don't think this visibility issue can be fixed. Until then, it's left on Commerce, right on 14th, left on Jones.

#58 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

Now getting this thread back on topic. On the first page, I have now updated the construction photographs. They were taken on December 17th.

#59 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 19 2006, 09:58 PM) View Post

I think it is interesting that they are now working on the foundation, yet we still don't know how tall the building will be.

Mr. Roberts are you hinting that this foundation work could make the building taller than 507ft ?

#60 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

In simple terms, yes. After visiting with the architect and receiving the conceptual drawings, this board knows that the original 498'-6" height was not to the structural top of the building and we also know that the building was raised 8'-6" during the construction drawing phase. The last response that was received is that they are not going to release the final height information. The latest drawings that were released indicate the hotel was very close to becoming the tallest building in the city. I'm beginning to wonder if they haven't added more floors to the building and it will actually be the tallest building in the city when it is completed.

If anyone has new information on the height, I would appreciate them posting it here.

#61 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:08 AM

I hope they make it the tallest building DT. Maybe it would create some friendly competition between a few parties to build in order to claim the tallest building.

#62 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Mr. Roberts. Just the same I'll be happy at just 500ft. And not keep my hope's high. This is Fort Worth after all and "tall building" are almost dirty words in this town.

With our self imposed height restriction's. On our west side and in the upcoming TRV. I agree with some restriction. But I belive they go overboard.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:36 PM

Well, I have good news. The building will start rising out of the bottom of the big dig soon. Formwork has been placed for some walls in the lowest level of the basement and you can also see the beginnings of the foundation for the elevator core.

The Omni's Signage, Lighting, and Landscape Packages will be put up for review by the Downtown Design Review Board at their regular meeting at 1:00 PM on January 4, 2007. I have now posted the agenda on the Forum Calendar. The link to the agenda is: http://www.fortworth...nt&event_id=294

#64 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

Mr.Roberts,will this meeting be shown on a cable access channel?
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#65 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thiers a tiny blip in the Jan 2007 Fort Worth Texas magazine. It ties into what Mr. Roberts said last week. In thier it says the Omni Hotel will be "15 to 21 story"

In other words it seems to me that the powers to be. Are looking at data that says thier need to be more room. And looking at other data that says it may not be needed.

I do find it odd that they started the Hotel and still don't know how big thier going to build it.

#66 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

Or they know and won't release the height.

#67 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(JBB @ Dec 27 2006, 10:43 AM) View Post

Or they know and won't release the height.

I find this more likely. I think we'll be getting a surprise from the Omni folks once they *do* announce it.

--

Kara B.

#68 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

By the time major foundation work is started, the basic design of the building is complete. Both the architects and the owners now know the final height of the building. They are just not releasing the information.

The Downtown Design Review Board meetings used to be carried by City Cable Channel 7, but it was dropped for low viewership. The only way to "see" this meeting is to attend it on January 4th.

#69 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

I am assuming that the height "secret" would include both the Hotel and condo tower??
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#70 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Perkins @ Dec 28 2006, 11:21 AM) View Post

I am assuming that the height "secret" would include both the Hotel and condo tower??

I figure that, if this theory proves true, they probably just added floors to the condo tower portion of the building. Somebody more knowledgeable than me may want to correct me, though.

--

Kara B.

#71 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

The condo tower is probably what has been raised in height. The project consists of only one building. The base of the building houses lobbies, meeting rooms, and hotel functions. The middle section of the building is the hotel, and the condo portion is the boat shaped tower rising out of the mid section.

#72 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:22 PM

I was at Omni's web site last night and looking at Omni hotels in other cities. Kinda fun seeing how the other hotels look. It seems like San Diego kinda comes close to what Fort Worth will get. Thier's is brown/brown and ours is kinda blue/tan in color.

I would say our hotel looks nothing close to most of the Omni's hotels they got out thier now. Seems like they wanted the Fort Worth hotel look as much like a office tower as possiable. I wonder if that was the case?

#73 Texas Super

Texas Super

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:High Rise, Sports Facility, Educational, Residential, and Commercial Construction. Motorcycle riding in the Texas Hill Country and Arkansas.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

undefined
QUOTE(texastrill @ Dec 27 2006, 09:31 AM) View Post

Mr.Roberts,will this meeting be shown on a cable access channel?

I think Im to trying to reply to the wrong post, Im new in this forum so forgive me as I figure this out.

#74 Texas Super

Texas Super

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:High Rise, Sports Facility, Educational, Residential, and Commercial Construction. Motorcycle riding in the Texas Hill Country and Arkansas.

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Dec 27 2006, 10:16 PM) View Post

By the time major foundation work is started, the basic design of the building is complete. Both the architects and the owners now know the final height of the building. They are just not releasing the information.

The Downtown Design Review Board meetings used to be carried by City Cable Channel 7, but it was dropped for low viewership. The only way to "see" this meeting is to attend it on January 4th.

I would imagine that the existing soil conditions at the Omni site, which is rock, and the 10 ft diameter piers, which go 65 ft deep would allow enough of a load bearing safety factor to increase the height quite a bit if so desired. I think its worth the cost to beef the foundation up especially if your in a hurry to get started and you havent completed your design. Im 1984 we were building the Infomart in Dallas at Oak Lawn and I-35 and it was designed to go 18 floors and be taller than the World Trade Center next door but after construction was underway it was decided to only go 6 floors which we did but with future plans to take it up to the original design which unfortunatly never happened but is still possible due to the foundation design.

#75 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

Actually, I can't imagine the Infomart taller than it already is. The scale of that building, especially considering the Crystal Palace it commemorates, seems exactly right. I kinda hope they leave it alone.

#76 apearson28

apearson28

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

i would think if they were planning to increase the height significantly by adding more condos, there would also need to be an increase in the amount of parking in the garage which i dont really see happening. i expect a minimal increase in height or a decrease. not gonna get my hopes up for anything

#77 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

I've always thought any height increases would be minimal. Originally, the design drawings showed a 499' building with dimensions to the penthouse roof. The elevator overrun was shown above this point and had no dimensions. At these heights, even minimal changes in height would result in the Omni placing higher in the overall city ranks for tall buildings. You have to remember our four tallest buildings are 567', 547', 525', and 488'.

I have also uploaded new construction photographs of the project on Page 1 of this thread.

#78 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

Columns are now coming out of the bottom of the hole and the concrete is being poured around the walls of the core inside the parking garage. I didn't have my camera when I drove by there this week. However, this weekend, I will get some construction shots.

Also, I have information on the signage and landscaping package that was presented before the Downtown Design Review Board today. Both elements of the design are are very corporate and unexciting. The landscaping is also very typical.

Finally, from two sources, I'm beginning to get more information on the height of the building. More on this later.

#79 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Storm Photography<br />Storm Chasing<br />EMS<br />and<br />I love great architecture

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

Ohhhhh man…… The suspense is killing me on the height!! conf.gif

If it is taller than BP, would this mean that BP will raise the “box” another couple of levels? rotflmao.gif

Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#80 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(Perkins @ Jan 4 2007, 11:41 PM) View Post

If it is taller than BP, would this mean that BP will raise the “box” another couple of levels? rotflmao.gif

Steph and I have been joking about that...Burnett Plaza just adding some more concrete to the box would be hilarious. Double points if the new section didn't match either of the two current ones. laugh.gif

--

Kara B.

#81 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

We don't have a inner city rivalry.

#82 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jan 4 2007, 11:52 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Perkins @ Jan 4 2007, 11:41 PM) View Post

Steph and I have been joking about that...Burnett Plaza just adding some more concrete to the box would be hilarious. Double points if the new section didn't match either of the two current ones. laugh.gif

Wouldn't suprise me at all! rolleyes.gif

#83 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

If you go to the first page of this thread. I have posted pictures taken of the construction progress on January 7, 2007.

#84 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the updates Mr. Roberts!

That ramp appears pretty steep near the top, is that a normal dgr? Or is it just because of limited space behind the ramp?

Looks like something you would see in Hazard County. Where’s the “General Lee” when you need it? cool.gif

Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#85 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Most of these construction ramps are pretty steep. However, they still have to be graded to be negotiated by heavy construction equipment and workers.

On a related note, the second tower crane is now starting to be erected. It won't be long before construction will start moving much faster.

#86 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

If I read right one time. The Omni will be topped out by July Or August. Has anyone else heard about that?

#87 Scott Dorn

Scott Dorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Photographing Dallas/Fort Worth Architecture<br />and general photography<br />Macintosh computers

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:59 AM

Took this Oct 14, 2006

IPB Image
Scott Dorn
Photographically Preserving Dallas/Fort Worth One Building at a time
http://www.flickr.co...s/70886669@N00/

#88 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Now in Denton @ Jan 17 2007, 12:47 PM) View Post

If I read right one time. The Omni will be topped out by July Or August. Has anyone else heard about that?

That would be great, however my main question is....

TOPPED OUT AT WHAT???? conf.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#89 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:06 PM

A couple of renderings I found on HOK's site of the Omni's ground floor. Forgive the quality - the originals were just thumbnails. I blew them up and worked on them in Photoshop as best I could:

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#90 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:45 PM

Can you tell me at what corner that corner shot will be?

#91 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(texastrill @ Jan 22 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post

From looking at the renderings, I think it's the northeast corner on 12th & Houston.

EDIT: Yeah, I think that's right. Here's an overall view for reference. The glass corner looks new.

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#92 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

As a milestone, they are pouring the first concrete floor this morning. It won't be too long before there isn't any dirt visible at all.

#93 Perkins

Perkins

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jan 22 2007, 07:02 PM) View Post

QUOTE(texastrill @ Jan 22 2007, 03:45 PM) View Post

From looking at the renderings, I think it's the northeast corner on 12th & Houston.

EDIT: Yeah, I think that's right. Here's an overall view for reference. The glass corner looks new.

IPB Image

NICE!! A facelift for FW, I love it!

The top portion with glass, is that new or an older version?
Nice looking! biggrin.gif
Extreme Storm Chasing
MesoPursuers.com
C. Perkins

#94 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

The "pillbox hat" is becoming a common theme in downtown Fort Worth architecture.

#95 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks,AG.
The new rendering is great.What are the numbers to the left,floors/height?

#96 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:21 PM

That is the latest color drawing that has been released. I do have a newer black and white version put together for the signage package. The signage package has the building in elevation with barely legible vertical dimensions. For the first time, these dimensions have given the overall building height. Unfortunately, the numbers are so difficult to read; therefore, I could be unsure of the final height of the building. A second source has given me the height of the building and the two numbers appear to be the same. I have not been able to make a final verification that the height information is correct. It won't be long before I will post on the forum the height I think the building will be constructed.

The view that Atomic Glee has posted is the east side of the building. This is taken from a large PDF file that was supplied by the City of Fort Worth. Here is a link to the entire design package of the Omni Hotel.
http://www.fortworth...re.com/Omni.pdf

#97 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jan 23 2007, 10:21 PM) View Post

That is the latest color drawing that has been released. I do have a newer black and white version put together for the signage package. The signage package has the building in elevation with barely legible vertical dimensions. For the first time, these dimensions have given the overall building height. Unfortunately, the numbers are so difficult to read; therefore, I could be unsure of the final height of the building. A second source has given me the height of the building and the two numbers appear to be the same. I have not been able to make a final verification that the height information is correct. It won't be long before I will post on the forum the height I think the building will be constructed.

The view that Atomic Glee has posted is the east side of the building. This is taken from a large PDF file that was supplied by the City of Fort Worth. Here is a link to the entire design package of the Omni Hotel.

John, you mentioned earlier about the signage and night lighting - I think you said it was boring. Can you elaborate at all on the signage and night lighting? I'm especially curious about the night lighting, as the Omni will have a big impact on the night skyline if it has even halfway decent night lighting.

--

Kara B.

#98 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jan 24 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post

John,

From what I can tell it looks like 444 ft from ground to roof and 54.6 ft for the top piece (not including that small piece at the very top. So, I am guessing 498.6 ft plus whatever the top most piece adds.

#99 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Jan 24 2007, 09:41 AM) View Post

John,

From what I can tell it looks like 444 ft from ground to roof and 54.6 ft for the top piece (not including that small piece at the very top. So, I am guessing 498.6 ft plus whatever the top most piece adds.

You going by the Omni.pdf images? I think the building has grown since then. I've heard rumors about the building ending up being 2nd-tallest - hopefully John can confirm or deny said rumors.

--

Kara B.

#100 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Jan 24 2007, 02:43 PM) View Post

QUOTE(jefffwd @ Jan 24 2007, 09:41 AM) View Post

John,

You going by the Omni.pdf images? I think the building has grown since then. I've heard rumors about the building ending up being 2nd-tallest - hopefully John can confirm or deny said rumors.

Oh, yes I was going by the PDF images. I just blew them up and thought I had solved the mystery. Oh well, I hope you are right about the 2nd tallest. However, if D.R. Horton Tower is 547 ft and Burnett Plaza is 567 ft why not extend it a mere 21 ft and say you are the tallest? wacko.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Hotels, New Construction, Skyscrapers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users