• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sorry if this thread has been discussed somewhere else on this forum, but through my extensive search (wink wink) I've found nothing. My question is, what is taking so long with this project? I know Fort Worth is known for slow construction progress, but come on...

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

It has nothing to do with slow construction. It's a lack of money.

#3 GenE

GenE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:History, photography,

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'd like to know what this is about.

I am 57 and was in 3rd grade when JFK was assassinated. Everyone who was cognizant during that time, can remember where they were/what they were doing when they learned of the assassination. Further, my late father was a high school teacher in a very small town. I just this weekend speculated with my sister, of what possible preparations teachers took on that day, to notify students of the shooting and death of a President. I do not know of or remember schools making preparations to deal with students that may have been wildly emotional over such an event. (This speculation arose over thoughts of the recent death of Paterno as well as events that surrounded the deaths in the last twenty some odd years of such personages as John Lennon, Princess Diana, JFK Jr., etc.).

Thanks,

GenE Shockley

#4 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

Found a small blurb from a Catholic newsletter from December with an update about the funding issues. It sounds like it is close to happening.

http://fortworth.cat...p?article=44015

#5 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

It seems prudent to use the money for a more useful purpose. Dallas has the JFK legacy... FW, not so much

#6 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

It seems prudent to use the money for a more useful purpose. Dallas has the JFK legacy... FW, not so much

Maybe. But Dallas gave Texas a bad name back then...fairly or unfairly, many around the country felt bad about JFK ending his life in our state. But Fort Worth gave Kennedy a Texas-sized welcome, and our city should make tribute to that fact.

#7 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Maybe. But Dallas gave Texas a bad name back then...fairly or unfairly, many around the country felt bad about JFK ending his life in our state. But Fort Worth gave Kennedy a Texas-sized welcome, and our city should make tribute to that fact.

While I agree with your historical thoughts, I agree we could be more prudent to use the money elsewhere. We welcomed him, he slept, he made a speech, then went to Dallas. The only reason it has any historical notoriety is because later that day he was killed. I guess it is part of the story, but I guess I just don't think it's worth the money. I think I could list off a few more things that that money could properly go to.

#8 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Odd no one here talking about JFK memorial groundbreaking today ? Anyway I still hope one day the whole block will be a greenspace with JFK looking over it. And not this odd block of bathtub plugs passing as art ! And a tunnel to nowhere. And a lone building serving no purpose.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

.... Anyway I still hope one day the whole block will be a greenspace with JFK looking over it.....

Fort Worth's JFK Memorial Project should reminded us less about his final hours in our city and more about his legacy regarding the country's landmark legislation, The Civil Rights Act of 1964 that he started prior to his death and that was eventually enacted into law by his predecessor and Texan, President Lyndon Baines Johnson.

IMO the joint contributions made by both men will only be fully recognized when this Texas city has a memorial to equally commemorate President LBJ. Austin, Dallas and Houston each have major memorial landmarks recognizing LBJ. Why not Fort Worth?

Brief overview of The Civil Rights Act of 1964:
Our Documents - Civil Rights Act (1964)

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Civil rights act is a mixed bag, at best.

But very glad this memorial is proceeding for a great leader and American.
www.fortworthview.com

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Civil rights act is a mixed bag, at best.

According to a vote taken of Americans from a wide demographics, the legislation ranked among the top ten documents in American History. Such a significant and high ranking alone justifies Fort Worth's recognition to both JFK and especially, LBJ who is a giant in Texas History.

Our Documents - The People's Vote

#12 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

As long as it is privately funded by those who want it...

#13 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

As long as it is privately funded by those who want it...

I guess I didn't know it was privately funded. By that fact, I think I am more okay with the tribute.

Don't get me wrong, I love presidential history, and really liked JFK. I just had trouble being okay with something like this with public dollars. But it's different, to me, if it's private dollars.

#14 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

This tribute is very important to the city of Fort Worth, no matter how the money was raised imo.

Hopefully the Kennedy family w/Taylor Swift(wink wink) show up for the ribbon cutting, would be very special.

I wish Lancaster Inc. hurry up and start developing Lancaster, geeeeez.. sorry, I got off base a little there

Now where was I.... oh yes back to the Kennedy tribute, The Dallas Museum of Art and the Amon Carter Museum of American Art

are thinking of putting together something very special read here S.T. Article.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Posted Image

#16 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

According to the walking tour we took recently, the site for this memorial was a parking lot back when John and Jackie stayed at the Hotel Texas. The story was that he came out early while Jackie was dressing for the 'last breakfast', and spoke with reporters gathered in the parking lot. When asked where Jackie was, he supposedly quipped, "Well, it takes her longer to get pretty than it does me." He then went back inside, then to the breakfast, then on to his date with history.
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#17 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

I saw the construction project myself a few days ago and believe it is a generous tribute to JFK who visited here the day before the assassination. Public monuments also augment the downtown cultural environment, thereby increasing tourism.

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

I am going to be at the opening ceremony to this John Kennedy memorial. (Yep, I am a huge fan of his, to the surprise of many) Good man. Great president.

Seemed like I was drawn to his grave today. I guess the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis. John Kennedy memorial coming up, etc...

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#19 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I am going to be at the opening ceremony to this John Kennedy memorial. (Yep, I am a huge fan of his, to the surprise of many) Good man. Great president.

Seemed like I was drawn to his grave today. I guess the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis. John Kennedy memorial coming up, etc...

Posted Image

Probably safe to assume you inadvertently left out the word "assassin's", as in:

Seemed like I was drawn to his assassin's grave today. I guess the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis. John Kennedy memorial coming up, etc...

#20 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Very safe.

Might add Oswald was both assassin and assassinated. Kind of unusual.
www.fortworthview.com

#21 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Any particular reason why they would do the ribbon cutting at such an odd time (9am on a Thursday)? If they want the least amount of people there as possible, then I guess the organizers will achieve their goal.

#22 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Just a guess, but probably media coverage. Early enough in the day to probably get a live spot on a local news station and get coverage on the newscasts throughout the day. More people could be a part of it in the evening or on the weekend, but they wouldn't get near the same mileage out of the media coverage.

#23 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

(Yep, I am a huge fan of his, to the surprise of many)

Catholic connection?

#24 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Catholic connection?

Good guess. But no. Liked all is politics. Equal rights, space program, focus on Country rather than individuals, effort to get people to contribute to society. (As a direct opposition to today's leader.) I am even in the minoritiy that thinks he played the Cuban missile crises perfectly. BTW, I think our worst president in history, by far, was LBJ. I credit him with ruining our Country.
www.fortworthview.com

#25 LoneStareDecisis

LoneStareDecisis

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Catholic connection?

Good guess. But no. Liked all is politics. Equal rights, space program, focus on Country rather than individuals, effort to get people to contribute to society. (As a direct opposition to today's leader.) I am even in the minoritiy that thinks he played the Cuban missile crises perfectly. BTW, I think our worst president in history, by far, was LBJ. I credit him with ruining our Country.

Not to rush to the defense of LBJ, a man who did much for Texas and the country, but I think that his commitment to civil rights, the protection of the environment, as well as his early interest in expanding transportation options through the Urban Mass Transportation Act, make him an unlikely source of most of our modern problems.

#26 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

Star Telegram "JFK tribute to be dedicated next week", read more...

#27 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm excited to finaly see this finished.
Question though. The Article says

He made his last speech in Cowtown, the morning of Nov. 22, 1963, before boarding Air Force One for Dallas

Did he really take Air Force one from Fort Worth to Dallas?

#28 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Yes, Carswell to Love Field.

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Anybody getting pictures tomorrow?

#30 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

From Channel 8 "video"

#31 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Nice simple dedication ceremony this morning. I found it remarkable that Jim Wright (U.S. Representative from Fort Worth circa 1963), as frail as he is, was able to deliver a speech. I was also struck by the fact that only a few people younger than 30 were in attendance. And that most of the speakers at the dedication were elementary school students when JFK came to town (hence they had to stay in class and couldn't witness the president's visit). The JFK memorial site becomes one more reason why Fort Worth is a place for tourists to visit.

#32 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I am posting a link to the seven or so photos that I got of the JFK Tribute ribbon-cutting yesterday. There were some interesting people there, especially the guy dressed as Santa Clause. I even got a photo of Brian Luenser working hard for the money and a photo of my co-worker Kevin and his grandfather Jim Wright. One thing that is pretty creepy is that the statue of JFK was covered most of the ceremony with a big blue blanket, which - at least in my photos - looks like an Afghan woman in a burka. Here is the link to the album:

http://www.flickr.co...ags/jfktribute/

Here is the photo of JFK in a burka:

http://www.flickr.co...ave/8169721943/

#33 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I stopped by around noon, very nice little urban gathering place. Great stuff to read, meet some people who talked about him or was alive when he was. I'm 18, so I missed him by quite a bit.
Posted Image

#34 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Fortunately, I missed the crowds about 3pm yesterday!

Posted Image
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#35 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Remembrance of JFK on the 50th anniversary of his death; the Star-Telegram article by HIrst and Baker below about the breakfast in Fort Worth.

http://www.star-tele...fort-worth.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Memorials, Main Street, General Worth Square, Public Art, John Kennedy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users