7 replies to this topic

#1 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

Wikipedia defines a terminated vista as "A building or monument that stands at the end or in the middle of a road, so that when one is looking up the street the view ends with the site."

Fort Worth has quite few of these scattered about, I thought it might be interesting to discuss them. The courthouse terminating main is the most significant and well known. There's a few other notable ones in downtown, the Library is designed nicely as one, and the Intermodal station works really nicely at the end of 9th street, and St. Patricks termiantes a one block section of 11th street, and the convention center does the same in the other direction. 

There's several that aren't that great to. The Criminal Courts & Jail terminating Throckmorton is pretty ugly, and not even centered on the street. The huge brick wall of the ATT building terminates 10th street looking east. 

Burnett Plaza also has an interesting effect on 7th, where it doesn't terminate the street but does sit at the end of it because of the shift in the grid. 

27205225771_1a88b461a2_z.jpgTerminated Vista by Micro55, on Flickr

So anyone know of any more? Got any that you like or dislike? Do share & discuss! 

#2 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

Looking west on Belknap, the Pier 1 Bldg.
Looking south on Summit, the new Ciera Bank bldg
Looking east on Crockett (West 7th development), the new tower of Trinity Terrace

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

• Looking north on 8th Avenue, Pier 1 Imports Building and now River Tower ends that axis. 
  • Thistle Hill sits at the end of Summit Avenue.  This one used to be more striking before Summit and 8th Avenue were realigned. 
  • West 5th Street through Linwood and Montgomery Plaza also has Pier 1 ending the axis.    
  • B.H. Carroll Memorial Building sits at the end of William Fleming.
  • Arlington Heights High School at the south end of Western Ave.
  • Looking east on W. Bowie St. aligns with both the central bay of the original building at Paschal High School and the current main entrance.
  • Byers Avenue dead ends in alignment with the main entrance of Stripling Middle School.
  • Boland Street in the Cultural District aligns with the Pioneer Tower at Will Rogers.   This has become weaker with the construction of the Piano Pavilion at the Kimbell Art Museum.
  • Eyeworks/Regions Bank terminates Bailey Ave.
  • Trimble Tech High School terminates the S. Adams axis.
  • T&P Warehouse and Hemphill Street.
  • T&P Warehouse and Monroe and also Taylor.
  • Jesus Zion Ministries (the old Temple Beth-El) is at the south end of Galveston Ave.
  • Poly High School terminates the Avenue E axis.
  • Amon Carter-Riverside High School sits at the end of Bonnie Brae Ave.
  • The Northside Branch of the Library terminates the end of Circle Park Blvd., and beyond the library and further up the hill, North Forth Worth High School/J.P. Elder Annex is in the same alignment.
  • The Auditorium of Northside High School aligns with Hagan Ave.
  • Broadway Baptist Church and St. Louis Ave.

I know there are many more smaller ones.  I'm sure several of you picked up that many of the FWISD historic school buildings followed this design principle.

#4 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 22 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

There are 2 not mentioned that I was surprised to not see on the list. I guess because they are so obvious to all Fort Worthians.

The courthouse terminating on Main looking North and the convention center looking south.
  • JBB likes this

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

In the first post, the Courthouse is mentioned terminating Main.  I assumed that Austin was referring to the axial alignment looking both directions on Main, north in downtown and south looking up the Paddock Viaduct.  The convention center was also mentioned, but I believe the reference was along the shorter east/west streets.  The view along Main Street in downtown looking both directions is probably taken for granted by most Fort Worthians.  However, when the arena is demolished, there will be another opportunity for the designers of the Convention Centers to create another terminus and signature building/tower/skyscraper.

#6 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

In the first post, the Courthouse is mentioned terminating Main.  I assumed that Austin was referring to the axial alignment looking both directions on Main, north in downtown and south looking up the Paddock Viaduct.  The convention center was also mentioned, but I believe the reference was along the shorter east/west streets.  The view along Main Street in downtown looking both directions is probably taken for granted by most Fort Worthians.  However, when the arena is demolished, there will be another opportunity for the designers of the Convention Centers to create another terminus and signature building/tower/skyscraper.

Yeah I guess I missed Austin's mention of the courthouse on the first post.

#7 Askelon

Askelon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

I always enjoyed entering downtown from the east (now Spur 280,) and facing Mt. Gilead Baptist Church with the skyscrapers behind it. Since then the 5th street ramp has partially obstructed the view. Also remember that the old interurban tracks still existed on that end of 4th or 5th at that time.

Without deviation from the norm progress is not possible. F. Zappa.

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

It won't be long before Mt. Gilead will have a 10 story hotel directly behind it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users