Downtown XTO Energy Proposed Tallest Building

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#51 edperc

edperc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:classical music, art, philosophy, eastern religion, biking, raquetball, gardening.

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

I just visited the cities of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore and found myself hugely depressed at the sight of the recession that those cities are experiencing. Empty retail and office space all over, rusty old industry everywhere, high jobless rates etc, etc, etc. Then I come back to FW and see all sorts of development and read about all of the people moving to Tarrant County and the possibilty for countless other urban developments.

I've lived in "BIG" cities. Living in FW, I never feel small. I rarely feel as though anything is missing, and I certainly NEVER find myself thinking of Dallas and how much bigger and better it must be than us. They are them and we are us. We're going to see more development here. We're going to see the construction of more downtown buildings and such. I appreciate that Downtown isn't overun by half full office towers! We now find ourselves in a position to be able to add office space and I hope to see it done as intelligently as FW seems to be handling its many other recent developments. I wish more folks realized just how small it continually makes us sound to talk about Dallas the way we do. Whether or not we get this 50 story tower, I'm still going to be proud of this city and the many wonderful advantages there are to living here as opposed to MANY other American cities.

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:31 AM

I wonder if there would be any way for the architects of this building to pay homage to the old CNB clock by putting another one on top of the building. The old one always appeared as a big black ugly box when it wasn't working, but there are plenty of ways they could design one into this new building. It wouldn't have to revolve - it could just be a large digital display integrated into the top of the building with a face on all four sides. It could possibly have three messages: time, temperature, and "XTO".

#53 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:02 AM

I'll believe this 50 story tower when I see it.  ;)

View Post

Good to see you're getting cynical with age Jonny...by the time your 24, you'll be out on your rooftop patio waving your fists at cars driving too fast through your 'new urban' neighborhood...

View Post

Huh? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

And I'm sorry to jefffwd for having a hard time accepting reality. Downtown Dallas is already estimated to have more people than downtown Fort Worth, and there are more units u/c & in the works there than here. I don't like it any more than you do, but it's the plain and simple truth, and it irks me that people continue to think of Fort Worth being so far ahead of Dallas. They are LIGHT YEARS ahead of us in urban renewal, I'm sorry. Maybe if Fort Worthians understood this, there would be a bigger push to get more urban developments going...

And also don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see a 50 story tower downtown, but that would be such a huge accomplishment for Fort Worth that it makes me skeptical. I hope my pessimism turns out to be unfounded, but I'd really be happy with anything built there aside from parking, even a city park.

View Post

It's OK, Jonny. I'm just glad that a 16 year old cares. :(

Like I said before, use that energy to help make things better when it's your time to be a decision maker.

#54 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

I just visited the cities of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore and found myself hugely depressed at the sight of the recession that those cities are experiencing.  Empty retail and office space all over, rusty old industry everywhere, high jobless rates etc, etc, etc.  Then I come back to FW and see all sorts of development and read about all of the people moving to Tarrant County and the possibilty for countless other urban developments. 

I've lived in "BIG" cities.  Living in FW, I never feel small.  I rarely feel as though anything is missing, and I certainly NEVER find myself thinking of Dallas and how much bigger and better it must be than us.  They are them and we are us.  We're going to see more development here.  We're going to see the construction of more downtown buildings and such.  I appreciate that Downtown isn't overun by half full office towers!  We now find ourselves in a position to  be able to add office space and I hope to see it done as intelligently as FW seems to be handling its many other recent developments.  I wish more folks realized just how small it continually makes us sound to talk about Dallas the way we do.  Whether or not we get this 50 story tower, I'm still going to be proud of this city and the many wonderful advantages there are to living here as opposed to MANY other American cities.

View Post

True. ;)

#55 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

I wonder if there would be any way for the architects of this building to pay homage to the old CNB clock by putting another one on top of the building.  The old one always appeared as a big black ugly box when it wasn't working, but there are plenty of ways they could design one into this new building.  It wouldn't have to revolve - it could just be a large digital display integrated into the top of the building with a face on all four sides.  It could possibly have three messages: time, temperature, and "XTO".

View Post

Why don't you do a mockup on top of the tower that you designed?

#56 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

I wonder if there would be any way for the architects of this building to pay homage to the old CNB clock by putting another one on top of the building.

View Post

I am not sure of the need to have anything atop of the new building in the way of a clock/temperature message board..; I feel that "XTO" is more than acceptable and would be nice. The one homage that I hope that will be made in the design of a new building is that design pays homage to the historical buildings (ie Commerce, Waggoner, Baker, etc) in its immediate neighborhood in the form of texturing and coloring.

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy"

#57 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 14 March 2005 - 05:17 PM

It's OK, Jonny. I'm just glad that a 16 year old cares. ;)

View Post

Well somebody has to. Oh how I wish 15.92 year olds could legally develop land... :D

#58 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

I have to agree with Johnny on a few things. I am typically a pretty positive person. Being skeptical actually takes some effort for me. However, I spend a lot of time in Dallas. Johnny is right. they are light years ahead of FW when it comes to urban renewal. I love that The Tower is fresh and new again. I love the new Pier 1 tower and I like the Radio Shack campus (would have loved a tower). And I love the plans for the Trinity River... I love that they're re-doing Montgomery Wards - even if it is going to be more suited for Frisco than FW's urban core. And I love that FW is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. However, anyone can take a two hour drive around Dallas' uptown area, and even parts of downtown Dallas, and see that they're blowing us out of the water. In the past few years Uptown has gone from having 3 or 4 mid-rise buildings to a solid continuation of the Dallas skyline. Does anyone have any pictures of the Dallas skyline/uptown from 10 years ago to compare to today? I'm very proud of the progress that is being made in FW. But, it seems like in FW we spend a lot more time talking about what MIGHT happen than we do actually making sure these projects DO happen. This is not the first 50 story tower to be proposed in FW. And, it's been over 20 years since we built anything over 20 stories in this city.

I know people hate FW/Dallas compaisons in this forum. But, it's hard not to compare yourself to the big city next door when you constantly hear what a mess things are in over there and then you hear about the development. Dallas is not growing the way FW is, yet they have all these huge projects going on. Ritz Carlton, W at Victory, Azure, and at least 4 more projects are approved and going up. If all the growth is in FW and FW is Boomtown, then why is Dallas getting all the good projects? Seriously, uptown in Dallas is about the size of downtown Austin now! And, 7-11 just announced they may be building a new skyscraper in downtown Dallas because their lease at City Place is up in 2 years. It's insane how easily things seem to happen in Dallas - well, everything except major football stadiums.. Not only are they building new buildings all over uptown, they're even converting relatively new rental properties into condo/lofts. I have a friend who lives in a high-end rental loft facing 75, just south of Hall. They're converting those to condo's for sale... So what gives?

#59 AdamB

AdamB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Living in the city

Posted 14 March 2005 - 07:20 PM

There is nowhere to go but up in Dallas. We are approaching that situation very quickly. Before we start growing up we are going to wait till the North develops.

#60 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:55 PM

If it makes anyone feel better, San Antonio (the #2 big city in TX) leapfrogged Dallas as a bigger city and their skyline isn't really popping skyscrapers left and right. I been there a few times and as far as I remember, I kinda think Fort Worth has a taller skyline. So don't anyone feel too bad. I'm sure they are wishfull as us.

#61 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:05 PM

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but just a point of information here. . .

In planning and modern urban history the phrase "urban renewal" refers to a specific series of federally funded projects (most of which consisted of The Projects) during the 1960s. Those projects were so ill-conceived and such monumental failures that today's planners eschew the term "urban renewal" in favor of "urban revitalization," "urban infill," etc. I know it seems like a small semantic point, but it's important not to let the great things that are happening get confused with what was such a devastating process for cities.

#62 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:38 AM

... Hey, if Austin is going to get a 700 foot tower than we should at least get one too.... ;)

View Post

I executed a "google search" to find out more about the proposed 700' skyscraper in Austin...what I found was a story about constructing or adding to Austin's Art Museum and a story about the unveiling of a 700 ft Tower; but the proposed skyscraper is planned for LONDON, UK

Both articles printed in ArtsJournal February 2004:
http://www.artsjourn...01archive.shtml

London (2/12/04):
http://www.guardian....1145544,00.html

Austin (02/10/04):
http://austin.bizjou...09/daily27.html

:D

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy!"

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:17 AM

Real Estate experts say that the market may be right for the new 50 story XTO building. Although I am skeptical, it appears that there is a possibility the building could be built. The one downside is that it would take more than three years from right now to construct the building and the market could change for the worse in that amount of time.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: http://www.dfw.com/m...ss/11140016.htm

#64 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 09:36 AM

If it makes anyone feel better, San Antonio (the #2 big city in TX) leapfrogged Dallas as a bigger city and their skyline isn't really popping skyscrapers left and right. I been there a few times and as far as I remember, I kinda think Fort Worth has a taller skyline. So don't anyone feel too bad. I'm sure they are wishfull as us.

View Post

Not even close to Fort Worth if you believe in the following website's formula, which ranks Funkytown behind KC, Tulsa, Tampa and Cincy, but ahead of Nashville, Milwaukee, Jacksonville, Portland, Phoenix, and San Antonio.
The World's Best Skylines

#65 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:27 AM

View Post

Well somebody has to. Oh how I wish 15.92 year olds could legally develop land... :D

View Post

Me too. I also wish it was as easy as it is in those stupid infomercials. :D

Trust me, if I had the money, downtown would be on the level as Seattle or Minneapolis. ;)

#66 edperc

edperc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:classical music, art, philosophy, eastern religion, biking, raquetball, gardening.

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:02 AM

The latest ST article gives me the feeling of candy being dangled in front of a baby's face - but the baby is being told that it can't have the candy until it has all its teeth. (Anyone know how to get teeth to grow faster?).

Perhaps XTO should hire a management company to seek out tenants for the proposed building and secure them by contract or lease before they begin planning and/or construction - or perhaps during construction. Wouldn't three years be plenty of time for XTO to be working on leasing the space? At the very least, maybe there will be enough of a corporate buzz around the proposal for the company to want to go forward with the project...

#67 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

... which ranks Funkytown behind KC, Tulsa, Tampa and Cincy...

BAD! VERY BAD! :D

WHAT ARE OR WHO ARE YOU REFERRING TO WHEN YOU WRITE "FUNKYTOWN"?

#68 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

If you excluded the hype and excitement about downtown and looked at just the numbers and the current state of the downtown economy it would appear to be a no-brainer.

Here’s the ST article:

"Room for more space downtown?
XTO considers new skyscraper to replace Landmark Tower
By Sandra Baker
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH - It's been more than two decades since skyscrapers were built downtown, but Fort Worth's XTO Energy may end that streak if it constructs a 50-story building.

Just the thought of adding a sixth Class A office building to the city's skyline put local real estate professionals and observers into a state of euphoria.

A 50-story tower would be the city's tallest and likely bring more opportunities to a market that is almost full. It would also create a premier business address that would attract relocations and spur a reshuffling of downtown tenants, they said.

But can Fort Worth's office market support a building that would certainly exceed 1 million square feet?

With vacancy rates at about 2 percent, the lowest level in years, rental rates higher than in downtown Dallas and with no other office projects on the horizon, industry folks say it is possible.

The question is whether tenants are ready to pay the lease rates needed to justify spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a shiny new structure.

"There's not a lot of quality office space left in downtown," said Richard Minker, president of the Fort Worth commercial real estate company that bears his name. "The market certainly warrants another building of that magnitude."

Johnny Campbell, president of Sundance Square Management, which handles leasing at the City Center office towers, said that the high leasing levels at his property make him think the market might be ripe.

"All of us who work so hard in downtown Fort Worth would love to see the city be ready for that next big expansion," Campbell said.

XTO, a fast-growing oil and natural gas producer, is considering an office tower at Seventh and Houston streets to take the place of the 30-story Landmark Tower. The company has already announced that it will tear down the Landmark in coming months.

The 50-year-old aluminum-sided building has been vacant for years, and it shows the lack of use.

XTO already owns the W.T. Waggoner Building, the Baker Building and Executive Plaza, on three blocks around Landmark Tower. If it doesn't opt to build a skyscraper, the company is considering a low-rise office building on the Landmark site and incorporating its properties into a corporate campus setting.

Only four downtown office towers rate the Class A designation, including the 40-story Burnett Plaza, 801 Cherry St., and the 40-story Carter Burgess Plaza, 777 Main St., each slightly more than 1 million square feet.

City Center, which includes the 38-story D.R. Horton Tower, 301 Commerce St., and 33-story Chase Texas Tower, 201 Main St., together have more than 1.5 million square feet.

The Bank One Building at 420 Throckmorton St. is a Class A building, but it is only 12 stories tall with 207,600 square feet of space.

There is now less than 300,000 square feet of Class A space on the market and available for lease, according to brokers. Depending on how much space XTO would need in the proposed building, it could open up as much as an additional half-million square feet.

Even if XTO started construction today, industry experts say it could take up to three years to build a 50-story building. Although it's anyone's guess what the market would be by that time, many expect demand to grow.

Real estate brokers have been dealing with a tight Class A market for almost five years as a result of the March 2000 tornado, which heavily damaged the Bank One tower (now The Tower) and sent its tenants scurrying for space elsewhere. The Carter Burgess engineering firm moved downtown, into a large block of space in the former UPR Plaza.

The market held steady until 2004, when Pier 1 Imports moved from City Center into its new headquarters on the western edge of downtown, opening up 180,000 square feet of space.

But City Center executives were already dealing with much more than that: the property had more than 300,000 square feet of vacant space, Campbell said.

Historically, City Center has absorbed about 30,000 square feet annually, and Campbell says he wasn't sleeping much at the beginning of last year, thinking that it might take years to lease up the property.

"We had our own concerns," Campbell said.

But City Center snagged D.R. Horton, the home-building company formerly based in Arlington, for the vacated Pier 1 space. Tenacious leasing agents also brought in new tenants to fill the remaining space, Campbell said.

Most of those new tenants were new entrants to downtown, Campbell said, meaning that the center is not robbing tenants from nearby properties.

Already this year, 45,000 square feet has been leased in City Center, leaving about 100,000 square feet available, Campbell said.

"Our pipeline of prospects is as active as it's ever been," Campbell said.

The average Class A lease rate for downtown is about $21.79 per square foot, according to the research division of real estate firm Grubb & Ellis. That's 69 cents above what tenants are paying for Class A space in Dallas' central business district. But the vacancy rate there is above 20 percent.

Jim Eagle, president of Red Oak Realty in Fort Worth, continues to predict that lease rates will rise and that by the end of the year, asking rates will be $30 a square foot.

"Common sense tells you there's always going to be tenants looking at Class A buildings and needing office space," Eagle said. "In today's market, we have a shortage of Class A space. I would have never thought I'd see $54 barrels of oil."

XTO has said it would need to ask rents of $30-$35 to make the 50-story tower project feasible.

Bill Behr, a principal and managing partner with NAI Stoneleigh Huff Brous McDowell in Fort Worth, agrees that the market is poised for some change.

He said the downtown office market is at its healthiest since the tornado, and that the challenge for XTO will be to make the economics work.

"We've never pushed those rates in Fort Worth," Behr said. "Fort Worth is very resilient. When we have large blocks of space, they get leased up. It would be incredible if market conditions changed enough to justify that amount of speculative space on the market.""

#69 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:31 AM

I just visited the cities of Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Baltimore and found myself hugely depressed at the sight of the recession that those cities are experiencing.  Empty retail and office space all over, rusty old industry everywhere, high jobless rates etc, etc, etc.  Then I come back to FW and see all sorts of development and read about all of the people moving to Tarrant County and the possibilty for countless other urban developments. 

I've lived in "BIG" cities.  Living in FW, I never feel small.  I rarely feel as though anything is missing, and I certainly NEVER find myself thinking of Dallas and how much bigger and better it must be than us.  They are them and we are us.  We're going to see more development here.  We're going to see the construction of more downtown buildings and such.  I appreciate that Downtown isn't overun by half full office towers!  We now find ourselves in a position to  be able to add office space and I hope to see it done as intelligently as FW seems to be handling its many other recent developments.  I wish more folks realized just how small it continually makes us sound to talk about Dallas the way we do.  Whether or not we get this 50 story tower, I'm still going to be proud of this city and the many wonderful advantages there are to living here as opposed to MANY other American cities.

View Post

Half full office towers. Sounds like FW if we built ours high enough. BTW, wasn't the Bank One Tower a half way full office building at one time? Can you imagine Dallas doing the same kind of downtown office building conversions we are pushing. We would be outpimped in the RE market. :D
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#70 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:34 AM

View Post

View Post

Keep it REAL Johnny. Show me the plans and I will show you the investors. ;)
www.iheartfw.com

#71 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:50 AM

View Post

Oh yes, my hometown! The Alamo City does not feel the need to push it's name as a city with tall buildings. If they do, it would have been done 20+ years before FW. Surpassing the big "D" is quite an accomplishment to the city resources, corp. job scalability/market, entertainment (value), recreation venues, and superb hospitality. So FW should really consider if the TRV and mid-rise condos will bring in the tourism/jobs or will tourism/jobs bring in the a succesful TRV and mid-rise condo appeal? Chicken and the Egg, Egg and the Chicken conundrum Ed Bass stated in the ST last year with. FW has a taller skyline than San Antonio, but much of downtown SanAntonio is owned by institutions/museums/ and very historic hotels, parks, and monuments (the Alamo). San Antonio is a much more favorable pedestrian friendly downtown excursion than FW, and the downtown scope there is much broader and encompassed by small cultural/historic districts, the Brackenridge Park/Zoo/Polo Grounds, etc. To get a good look of the San Antonio skyline just drive the NEW 3 lane onramp from the IH10 East into downtown and exit 410 NEast bound on the outside lane. Breathtakingly clear. :D
www.iheartfw.com

#72 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

... which ranks Funkytown behind KC, Tulsa, Tampa and Cincy...

BAD! VERY BAD! ;)

WHAT ARE OR WHO ARE YOU REFERRING TO WHEN YOU WRITE "FUNKYTOWN"?

View Post

Funkytown = Fort Worth. Don't know how it got started but I have heard that for years. I like it much better than Cowtown. :D

#73 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Funkytown = Fort Worth.  Don't know how it got started but I have heard that for years.  I like it much better than Cowtown.  ^_^

View Post

FUNKY-town MOST DEFINITELY DOES NOT EQUAL FORT WORTH! and here is why:

Oxford Universal Dictionary:
FUNK, a strong smell or stink; cowering fear, a state of panic; to cause an offensive smell; to try to back out of anything; to fight shy of, wish to shirk or evade; to be afraid of.

What is affirming about any town should it become associated with any of the above unvirtuos attributes?

I suspect that it is a juvenile attempt by some lame brain hipsters to be kool; and I fail to find anything positive about such an unflattering moniker.
My .02 cents

"Keep Fort Worth Folksy!" :D

#74 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:35 PM

Also from an oxford dictionary...

funk2

• noun a style of popular dance music of US black origin, having a strong rhythm that typically accentuates the first beat in the bar.

I think that's what they were going for.

#75 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:41 PM

I think the funky in Funkytown is used as positive slang meaning strange or unique rather than the literal, negative definition that you're referring to. I believe that nickname was started by a radio station in the 70's or 80's. I know the subject has come up in a previous topic on the forum.

#76 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:59 PM

I've always thought the Funkytown name was silly because if there is any city in Texas that is funky (in the offbeat, alternative, hip, partying sort of way) it's Austin. I mean, come on, FW is a lot of things, but funky?

#77 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:11 PM

That's why I've always disliked it. Not because it is insulting, but because it couldn't be further from being a description of the city's character.

#78 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Quote By Safly

Oh yes, my hometown! The Alamo City does not feel the need to push it's name as a city with tall buildings.

Anybody who has extensively walked DT FW and DT SanAn(non riverwalk) should notice how many great old buildings both cities have. Another thing I noticed about SanAN is that just like Fort Worth many of the old buildings are being productively utilized. Any that remain are currently under construction into residential units with very little vacant buildings if any at all. My opinion is that the lack of development such as Dallas and Houston experienced has allowed us to keep some of our great old assets. Can you imagine the Burk Burnett Bldg or Sinclair with a 50's-60's facade?? The very thought gives me chills!!!! Don't get me wrong however, lets get that XTO building built!!!

#79 lobster

lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

keep in mind *funk* is also a term used for horrid body odor :D

Sam & I have a friend up in Oklahoma that refers to Fort Worth with a variety of names such as Fort Puzzles, Fort Giggles, and most recently, Fort Sodas.. but I don't anticipate any of those catching on in the mainstream anytime soon..

I'm satisfied with FTown... Fort Worth being the largest city in the USA that starts with "F" (the next closest being Fresno) deserves the title ^_^

#80 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 07:07 AM

I've also heard, I don't know how to put this nicely.

-Fort Worthless?

Not that I agree.
www.iheartfw.com

#81 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:50 AM

I've also heard, I don't  know how to put this nicely.

-Fort Worthless?

Not that I agree.

View Post

Where is this pointless "name calling" headed?... ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

#82 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

Let's get this topic back on track. The topic is for discussions of the possible 50 story building to replace the Landmark Tower.

Our administrators and moderators are working on some new forum guidelines and rules. Although topic tangents will be permitted, completely drifting off to subjects totally unrelated will probably not be allowed under the new forum guidelines and rules.

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun, all of us want a better "Fort Worth Forum".

#83 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:29 PM

If the 50 story building has the right system of setbacks, I think they could get away with building something between 800,000 and 1 million sf rather than 1 million +. If XTO takes up 600,000 sf, you would only have between 2 and 400,000 sf of speculative office space, and that doesn't seem like too big a risk to me. Also keep in mind that those numbers are gross sf, not leasable sf, which I imagine would be even less.

If they do build 50 floors, I hope they top it off with a crown. Maybe not a pyramid, but definately something that has unique illumination at night (think Pier1).

#84 Shocker

Shocker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

A crown or something besides mechanical equipment would be nice (not that I believe for a second that XTO would do something that utilitarian.) I really don't like the fact that many of the buildings in downtown FW have really sorry looking rooftops. The majority are pretty ugly to look at from up high. The obvious example is Burnett Plaza, but from up high the Tandy towers are pretty bad as is The Worthington and many others. I'd really like to see caps or crowns like in Chicago or New York. The tops of many of their buildings are actually quite attractive.

#85 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:59 PM

A crown or something besides mechanical equipment would be nice (not that I believe for a second that XTO would do something that utilitarian.)  I really don't like the fact that many of the buildings in downtown FW have really sorry looking rooftops.  The majority are pretty ugly to look at from up high.  The obvious example is Burnett Plaza, but from up high the Tandy towers are pretty bad as is The Worthington and many others.  I'd really like to see caps or crowns like in Chicago or New York.  The tops of many of their buildings are actually quite attractive.

View Post

Yet with the exception of Burnett Plaza, the Tandy Towers and the Worthington Hotel were designed to hide all of the utilitarian equipment from the street. Part of the problem in putting the equipment on the roof of the tallest part of the building stems from Fort Worth's small 200' x 200' blocks. You put a tower up on one of the blocks, and then there is no place for the mechanical equipment to go. You can put it on the roof and screen it from the street, but that is about all an engineer and an architect can do because the equipment requires a large amount of fresh air to operate. The cooling towers require all of the space above them to be open. The only way to really disguise them is to put an open crown or decorative structure entirely around them.

#86 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

Austin developer Tom Stacy proposes a 680-ft., 41-story tower one block north of Austin's Frost Bank Tower on Congress Ave. between 5th and 6th Streets. The building would be taller than any in Fort Worth, but presumbaly would not be as tall as the potential 50-story XTO building.

Austin American-Statesman article

#87 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

So the Austin building is only 41 stories but 680 ft? There must be a crown/decorative top involved, because hotels and residential towers don't have very large floor-ceiling measurements, and that would put each floor at about 17 feet each!

What are the average residential and hotel floor heights anyways? I thought it was 9-10 for residential and about 12 for hotel. What about office? I've been using 14 feet without knowing for sure...

#88 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:36 AM

Sorry, Johnny, but the only info I have on the proposed Austin building is the info linked in the American-Statesman article I previously posted.

However, the article stated the building would contain 3 floors of retail, a ten-story hotel, and the rest would be primarily residential.

The article also mentions several other mid-to-high-rise structures presently proposed in Austin. Interestingly, all but two are primarily residential.

Also mentioned was the conflict between creating a high density, urban environment in central Austin while maintaining certain corridors where state laws and city ordinances protect views of the state's capitol building and the UT tower.

Frankly, I think Fort Worth would benefit from not only a 50-story XTO tower, but also a residential tower that others on this forum have cryptically mentioned as a rumor. Even the announced mid-rise projects that the article mentions are far beyond what is being speculated in Fort Worth. Since the tech bomb, Austin is no longer the boom town it once was. Instead, Fort Worth has replaced Las Vegas as the nation's biggest boom town, at least temporarily. I think The Tower has made it clear that Fort Worth can support much more development Downtown than we're seeing now. While Dallas is trying to create urban population density by converting its glut of unused office space to residential, Fort Worth is in very short supply of both downtown offices and residences to attract outside companies or local consumer demand.

#89 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:42 AM

What supporting research/articles/facts do you have that FW has out grown LV? Very interesting.
www.iheartfw.com

#90 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:40 PM

What supporting research/articles/facts do you have that FW has out grown LV? Very interesting.

View Post

Not sure if this helps: 1990 - 2000

More Urban Core info

The real increase is post 2002: Article

#91 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Let's get this topic back on track.  The topic is for discussions of the possible 50 story building to replace the Landmark Tower. 

Our administrators and moderators are working on some new forum guidelines and rules.  Although topic tangents will be permitted, completely drifting off to subjects totally unrelated will probably not be allowed under the new forum guidelines and rules.

I'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun, all of us want a better "Fort Worth Forum".

View Post

You're doing the right thing. :blink:

#92 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:05 PM

None of those websites offer any proof that FW is growing faster than Las Vegas. However, if you do a little research and look at the numbers for FW vs Vegas (not Dallas-FW, but just FW) you'll see that FW has out-paced Vegas for the past several years. FW is over 500,000 - and is the fastest growing city over 500K. Vegas does not have 500,000 population yet, so it's not included in that comparison.

FW is the fastest growing city of over 500,000 though. But, it depends on how you look at it. For raw number of increased residents LA is still tops. FW's claim to fame is based on growth rate, which is different than the actual number of added people. Think of it this way. LA can add 200,000 people and still reflect a smaller growth rate than FW even if FW adds only 50,000 people during the same designated time. It all depends on whether or not you're talking about growth percentage or raw numbers of people moving to a city.

#93 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

Most recent Census Bureau estimates

#94 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:30 PM

Hopefully the concensus is that FW is heading in the right direction. I've always stressed to outsiders, visitors, investors and residents that FW has TREMENDOUS upside advantage for it's size and location. That assumption means very little when we don't act upon it in the right manner.
www.iheartfw.com

#95 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:38 PM

You tell people positive things about Fort Worth? Hm...

Anyone want to take on my building height question? :blink:

#96 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:04 PM

Jonny, there are several variables in floor to floor height. However, 10 feet is probably the upper limit for new residential floors, unless the developer is emphasizing higher ceilings than 8 feet. Hotels can run the same or slightly higher, depending on the construction. Many times hotels can get by with shorter spans, thereby decreasing the thickness of the structure. This can result in lesser floor to floor heights. Office floor to floor heights probably average about 13 feet with 12 feet being the low end and 14 feet being on the high side. Desired ceiling height, distances between columns, structural systems, mechanical systems, and ultimately overall height have some bearing on floor to floor heights.

#97 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:00 AM

In any event I would be just ecstatic to see John's XTO new building rendering considered for final phase, or even better crowned for actual construction. It would certainly be a monumental experience and achievement for him, and one that would surely obtain plenty o buzz for not only the city but for the FWAForum.
www.iheartfw.com

#98 salvag

salvag

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

In any event I would be just ecstatic to see John's XTO new building rendering considered for final phase, or even better crowned for actual construction. It would certainly be a monumental experience and achievement for him, and one that would surely obtain plenty o buzz for not only the city but for the FWAForum.

View Post

Yeah safly, maybe they would mention your name.

#99 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 02:08 PM

View Post

Yeah safly, maybe they would mention your name.

View Post

That appears to be the obvious being stated by sal again.
www.iheartfw.com

#100 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

I Photoshop'd John's tower into the skyline but I don't know how to post it on here. Any help would be appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, XTO Energy, Proposed, Tallest Building

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users