105 replies to this topic

#101 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Only concern about the limited service hotels going in is that they could dilute the market a little, making the feasibility harder for a larger, convention-type hotel (500+ rooms with lots of meeting/conv space) from developing in the near term.  According to the CVB those larger properties actually go out and recruit meetings and groups whereas the smaller ones simply respond to demand that is existing.  And, the limited service brands really aren't very inspiring hotels that would cause someone to go out of their way to stay there. 

I'm not suggesting FW attempt to actively intervene in preventing the development of limited service hotels (its their right to develop the limited service hotels) other than ensuring their design is good).  

Possible exceptions are the Sinclair (Marriott Autograph) and the AC Hotel. 

#102 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

During a recent trip to San Antonio, time was spent overnight in a 1909 office building that today has been redeveloped into a hotel. Let me say that the building is excellently redone and removes any doubt that I may have had about the feasibility of these kinds of projects.  In Downtown, I would rank the Petroleum Building as the both the best and first former XTO properties to be converted into a hotel.

http://www.fortworth...om/rattikin.jpg

#103 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,786 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

Rename, at which hotel/former office building in San Antonio did you stay?

#104 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:45 PM

Rename, at which hotel/former office building in San Antonio did you stay?

Gibbs Building circa 1909, San Antonio (105 North Alamo, Downtown)

https://www.google.c...k5pvxjtqIJLmpM:

#105 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,786 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:17 AM

I do know where that building is located in San Antonio.  I actually think that any of XTO's buildings could be converted into a hotel or residential.  Our Sinclair Building is being converted, so it is possible.

The last time I stayed overnight in San Antonio, I was at the Drury Plaza Hotel, which is the old Alamo National Bnank that was converted.  I got a suite at a ridiculously low rate.  It was very nice, and I really enjoyed my stay in the historic building.  The bank lobby is now the hotel lobby.

#106 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,832 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

.... I actually think that any of XTO's buildings could be converted into a hotel or residential.  Our Sinclair Building is being converted, so it is possible....

That's right, our Sinclair Building...You never really think that a commercial building can be truly converted into a residential or hospitality property until you actually experience the conversion and realize how nicely it can be done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Hotels, New Construction, Conventions, Convention Center

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users