mmiller2002's Content

There have been 42 items by mmiller2002 (Search limited from 20-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#94910 The Black-Eyed Pea Files for Bankruptcy

Posted by mmiller2002 on 03 December 2015 - 01:14 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Wasn't the original restaurant in the current Lucille's location? The Arlington location pictured in the story is relatively new and really nice. I don't know how the Hurst location ever survived the Airport Freeway construction.

Yes on the Lucille's location.

#94689 Camp Bowie Blvd.

Posted by mmiller2002 on 20 November 2015 - 11:43 AM in Transportation

It's time to replace the  bricks with a red concrete faux brick surface.  Clearly the FW street maintenance department can't handle the current workload either by lack of attention or budget.  They can make the concrete surface "brick-like bumply" to satisfy those that like the noise and traffic calming effects of the real bricks...

I drive CB all the time and have lived a few blocks from CB since 1983.  I love the charm of the bricks, but we need to consider function and tax dollar expenditures strongly.  When I re-did siding on my home, I used Hardie Board instead of real wood.  Best decision ever!

#94686 Southwest/Chisholm Trail Parkway

Posted by mmiller2002 on 20 November 2015 - 11:21 AM in Transportation

OMG, the gauntlet of traffic lights southbound on University from I-30 to the Jack In The Box area is terribly timed!  Traffic routinely backs up on the I-30 westbound exit for University, and traffic backs up on University in front of the Botanic Gardens.  Is the "construction" done"  What about traffic light management?  Anyone know?

It's a real deterrent to go from my place to the UPV area (just like I avoid City View and S. Hulen at all costs). 

#94685 Fort Worth Stockyards

Posted by mmiller2002 on 20 November 2015 - 11:01 AM in Commercial

I'm no expert, but it would take a lot of money to make them safe, no matter what the intended use.  Then whatever they are turned into would have to make money...

I wouldn't be in favor of tax money use for the project.  Wasn't that market/bazaar/whatever rehab on N. Main a tax money-pit?

#94659 Is that Eye Works EVER going to open ?

Posted by mmiller2002 on 19 November 2015 - 01:38 PM in Commercial

That will provide some nice glare into our eyes.

#94657 Falafel invasion hitting Dallas, is FW next ?

Posted by mmiller2002 on 19 November 2015 - 01:34 PM in Arts and Entertainment

No need for trendy restaurants -- Fort Worth already has excellent falafel, at Pak-a-Pocket at Bryant Irvin and Bellaire. (Their gyros, shawarma and baklava are even more amazing.) It's tucked away in a strip mall behind a car wash, barely visible from the road, which just emphasizes how great the food and service are to have stayed in business for 30 years.

I have eaten there many times, and my daughter was a regular there from AHHS for lunch.  My only beef is that they use thin pocket pitas for gyros like I can buy in the grocery store instead of those nice thick ones like Terra or that tiny Greek place on 7th uses.

#94495 New development proposed on Camp Bowie at Gingerman location?

Posted by mmiller2002 on 11 November 2015 - 01:02 PM in Commercial

I can't find the diagram anymore, but I seem to remember that an earlier design included taking over the gingerman lot too and putting gingerman in one of the new buildings.

#94493 TCU: Speaking of the Berry St. Initiative

Posted by mmiller2002 on 11 November 2015 - 12:55 PM in Commercial

The lot that the cellar was on will be a parking lot.  All those buildings will be torn down soon.

I have never been, but was it like the old Blossoms on the Boulevard at Camp Bowie and Merrick?  It had home cookin' restaurant with a bar/small venue in the basement.

#93716 Alleys in Residential Areas

Posted by mmiller2002 on 28 September 2015 - 11:47 AM in City Issues

While trees in the location are pretty for a while, when they get bigger they are a problem for garbage and delivery trucks.  And their roots can damage the sidewalks

#93597 Alleys in Residential Areas

Posted by mmiller2002 on 21 September 2015 - 11:15 AM in City Issues

Sometime last year, the city cleared our alley and put down gravel to prevent plant growth. It's been nice to A) not maintain it ourselves like we were and B ) have a clear space that discourages lurkers between houses.  It was a good use of tax money.

In our North Hi Mount house, some of the neighbors behind us dumped gravel for their McMansions' rear facing garage.  That gravel makes it hard to mow...

I was of the understanding that owners need to get abutting neighbors' agreement before paving a part of the alley.  Maybe gravel is a loophole or maybe they didn't care.

#92669 New 7th Street Bridge

Posted by mmiller2002 on 30 July 2015 - 03:15 PM in Public & Institutional

I've got no problem with the unfinished concrete. Some unfinished concrete can look really nice, like the Kimbell.

That's the concrete finish they should have picked...

#92667 New 7th Street Bridge

Posted by mmiller2002 on 30 July 2015 - 03:12 PM in Public & Institutional

I think that there are other unpainted concrete finishes that don't look blotchy.  I'm not a fan of paint either due to maintenance costs.

#92617 New 7th Street Bridge

Posted by mmiller2002 on 29 July 2015 - 11:29 AM in Public & Institutional

Well, it does look better at night in B&W when you can't see the exterior finish as well...

#92603 Public Art

Posted by mmiller2002 on 28 July 2015 - 11:35 AM in City Issues

:P

#92417 General Motors Expansion in Arlington

Posted by mmiller2002 on 14 July 2015 - 11:17 AM in Surrounding Cities

I suppose the demand has not "skyrocketed", but I don't have facts.  These vehicles are always popular, and I think GM is consolidating their production here.  But, again, I'm just supposing.

#92395 TCU Medical School

Posted by mmiller2002 on 13 July 2015 - 11:32 AM in Public & Institutional

It will be on UNT's campus

Hmmm, more neighborhood land grabbing to come?

#92155 West Bend, Formerly River Plaza

Posted by mmiller2002 on 24 June 2015 - 07:58 PM in Commercial

I just got back from Fresh Market.  It's definitely a small Central Market, along with their prices.  It's no Sprouts or Trader Joes.  And, I love Central Market BTW.

I was hoping for some new twist.  Its closer to me.

Bananas were $.69 a pound! (Honduras, not "organic")  That's 20 cents more than Central. Lots of other fresh things were basically the same as Central.

The only item that looked kinda like a deal were the panninis.

I didn't look at dry goods or packaged foods.  Just fresh and frozen.

Though, it will probably do well with the Park Hill/Mistletoe/TCU student crowd.

#92154 Noticed a couple of things along Camp Bowie...

Posted by mmiller2002 on 24 June 2015 - 07:49 PM in Commercial

:blush: In response to Austin55's picture, that's hard to picture at that location.  It looks like a barn...

(for some reason my "quote" did not quote the post)

#91969 Montgomery Plaza: Ver. 2 (Pedestrian & Transit details)

Posted by mmiller2002 on 12 June 2015 - 11:16 AM in Ideas and Suggestions for Projects

Is this just a what-if exercise?  I don't understand...

#91891 Ridgmar Mall

Posted by mmiller2002 on 09 June 2015 - 11:25 AM in Commercial

If you have several shops to look at, the climate control is nice.

#91890 Fort Worth's birthday fest June 6, 2015

Posted by mmiller2002 on 09 June 2015 - 11:22 AM in Miscellaneous

Even when it was up and running, there wasn't much water flowing. Rather than run and slide to the bottom like the promo videos showed, you ran and slid, stopped after awhile, ran and slide again, rinse, repeat. More than one person said it was pretty tiring.

If I recall, the promos I saw made it look like a good opportunity to bonk heads on the way down...

#91619 Is that Eye Works EVER going to open ?

Posted by mmiller2002 on 21 May 2015 - 11:53 AM in Commercial

How would pedestrians navigate a circle?

And, I actually don't think that the lights are too long considering the size of the intersection.  I use it every day.

#91577 Project at Camp Bowie & Hulen South of Walgreens

Posted by mmiller2002 on 19 May 2015 - 11:37 AM in Miscellaneous

Does anyone know what's going on there?  They've dug way below grade.

#91532 Quik Trip zoning case very near Central Market

Posted by mmiller2002 on 15 May 2015 - 11:23 AM in Commercial

That strip of hulen doesn't need any more reason to have traffic turning left...

#91507 Fort Worth Bike Sharing Program

Posted by mmiller2002 on 14 May 2015 - 11:32 AM in Transportation

I can't recall, or find it with the topic search, is the program self-sustaining, or tax funded, or both?