122 replies to this topic

#51 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

I know this TCC looks out of place, but I do embrace a little architectural diversity (yes, I know I've made it clear that I HATE brutalist buildings, but even I think they have their place) so I'll take a little bit of Vancouver down here. 

Hey, it could have been worse. I mean, at least it has windows....

tumblr_m941py3jn11qzzmkno1_1280.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#52 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:57 AM

So much of the crticism of the TCC building focuses on either shape or exterior of the buildings and the fact that they look different from those around them (i.e. they don't fit).  I would argue that 1) as Jeriat said there is value in architectural diversity and 2) the scale, location and elevation of the buildings actually do a great deal to accentuate the buildings and features around them.  If TCC had built a couple of grand buildings on its two primary blocks they would have blocked views of the County Courthouse from the Belknap corridor and of the River from buildings and roads in DTFW.  We certainly would have complained about that.  If you really take a look at the buildings that were built, they are relatively small and out of the way compared to what they could have been.  The courthouse in particular gets to stand out with nothing tall immediately surrounding it.  Contract that with it getting crowded out over time by 5+ story buildings on each of the surrounding blocks.  The TCC buildings help the fabric of DTFW.

I don't expect to make anyone like those buildings that is determined to not like them.  But if the standard for design in FW was consensus on this forum, Tarrant County would still be a prairie. 

Now, if someone wants to argue about the price tag, you'll get no fight from me.  Ridiculous.  But, it's done now so you might as well make the best of it.

#53 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I don't think they're "out of place" - I have no problem with older designs and modern design coexisting - I just don't think they're conceived or executed all that well.  They're not *terrible* like I expected them to be during construction, they're just not as great as I'd hope.  (And I was a fan of the original design models!  Those turned out to be misleading...)

And honestly, yes, I would have preferred TCC build actual buildings on its blocks rather than the half-below-ground things they did, "blocking courthouse views" or no.  Beside the fact that they'd likely be better for the street than what we got (not to mention probably significantly cheaper), I think the courthouse would look stunning in its monumental location, sited on its lawn (with the gross appendage on its west side removed, of course), surrounded by blocks comprised of traditional (in form, not necessarily style) urban buildings.  The blocks of conventional(ish) building designs around it, occupying normal blocks, would create the context from which the courthouse would stand out even more.  It's the tension-and-release of quality urbanism, the density playing against the monumental placement of importance.

But whatever, they're there now.  Don't want to derail discussion of the new courthouse, which I actually think will probably turn out pretty nice for what it is.

--

Kara B.

#54 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Here is a recent shot of the construction:

8687105280_0dacdde20d.jpg
And, ever higher it goes by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#55 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

8693960411_6ea61e55e1.jpg
Going vertical by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#56 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

The new civil courthouse , when operational, may create some people activity at the TCC plaza. Maybe some courthouse staff taking advantage of the asphault seating to eat lunch outdoors. Of course this would be during spring time or late fall, when the weather is comfortable. I’m just happy that civil courts will be separated from their criminal counterparts (both presently in the justice center further down west Weatherford).

#57 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

That would certainly be nice. The slanted building on the left of Dave's picture is a cafe. I don't know if it's any good as I've never been there though. There are some nice little "parklets" scattered around the complex as well with some benches and trees that are very nice to sit in. 

I also hope that maybe the continual building up of Northeast downtown will lead some of the residents of the skyline bluff and the neighborhood across the railroad tracks there to walk more into downtown, and eventually become incorporated into it as a whole. Hopefully whatever is planned after the new surface lot on the Weatherford/Jones/Pecan/1st street will be around 3-7 stories will contain some ground retail as all these civic buildings lack and real reason to visit them besides work or need.

Does anyone know if the garage immediately south of the courthouse was designed to one day operate with retail on the ground floor? The facade along the street is very unique and looks as if it is perhaps meant to be retail one day if the demand is there, especially the Calhoun facing facade would be perfect for restaurants with patios. There are a few other garage's like this, I can think of the Omni's of the top of my head.

I took a picture today from the area I'm talking about. The Courthouse is really making an impact on the skyline from here, now that it has reached 6 stories.

DSC_0546_zpsd533ee8c.jpg

#58 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

As of this morning:

8974758538_b05ec73e77_z.jpg
I love you on so many levels by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#59 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Beautiful photos - all of these and others on this forum!  As a Fort Worth exile who loves to see what's going on there, I really look forward to all of your posts.  And they are so well done.  To all of you who make the effort to take the pics, and then post them here - very much appreciated down here in Austin.  Fort Worth is a beautiful city that's really changing in a good way.  And the FWF is turning out to be repository of the city's evolution and history.  Thank you.

#60 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

Credit to Brian's FB page. 

1025824_10151808051158304_1827197515_o.j

#61 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

You know, you never really appreciate just how BIG the new Civil Courts Building is. Feels massive from even a few blocks away. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#62 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

As of 08/01:

9422075407_0ef9d7a121_z.jpg
Sometimes, we try to wall ourselves off by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

You can see where the angels from the old Civil Courts Building will be placed.

#64 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Today. Hope to start seeing some facade soon. 

DSC_0125_zpsfec447dc.jpg

#65 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

Today. Hope to start seeing some facade soon. 

DSC_0125_zpsfec447dc.jpg

With all of the courthouses, law enforcement offices, and correctional centers in the same vicinity, they need to rename the street, "Law and Order Way".

#66 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Slow and steady wins the race.

10147864445_b73c04df9c_c.jpg

#67 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Great photo Austin55!
Nice one.

#68 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Facade lookin good. A bit dirty right now. Granite pecies look nice, the diagonal set bricks do to. Note the circles near the top to.  This building is starting to get exciting. I think the whole little complex of the Civ Courts, Full Court, and Family and TCC all look pretty cool together. The concave facade on the East side will look real neat. I hope maybe some retail will pop up along Grove and Jones streets in the area to help entice some pedestrianism (made up word).

10936681714_251610234c_b.jpg
New Civ Courts by Micro55, on Flickr

10936797033_240d6e461f_b.jpg
New Civ Courts by Micro55, on Flickr

#69 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Are the angel statues still going up on this one?

#70 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Are the angel statues still going up on this one?

In my picture on post #66 you can see the two cinder block lined sections where the angels will be. 

#71 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

ST: Tarrant County hopes for new Civil Courts Building by year’s end

I thought it had been going slow, now we have a reason. I had'nt realized that Sundance had cleared that nearby lot for the courthouse, or that 3 angels are being saved for the new building. I guess the 3rd will go on the back?

#72 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

I had always heard that two angels were going on the front and the other two were going to be placed in storage.  Maybe they found a place on the building where the third one could be placed.  My guess would be on the east side.  When we designed the parking lot for Sundance, they always mentioned that they might rent out the spaces to the County on that lot.

#73 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

Someone should do some math and figure out where the acoustic focus is of that concave western wall. Would be nifty if it's somewhere on the eastern side of the old court house. Could make for some cool audio demonstrations...

#74 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

The back and sides are nearly done, fron has some more work, as well as the ground floor. No sign of angels.

13791594463_c3809736d8_z.jpgDSC_0051 by Micro55, on Flickr

13791570765_0bc59e4bcd.jpgDSC_0052 by Micro55, on Flickr

#75 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

A photo of the building as of yesterday (04/16/2014).

13918497304_892f1c8af2.jpgUp and coming by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#76 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

Nice looking façade.  Can't wait to see the inside courtrooms.  I'm not exactly sure which courts will be re-located, but I'm guessing:  All the civil district courts from the Curry Justice Center; the probate and county courts at law from the old courthouse; and maybe JP 1 from the courthouse.   Could be wrong; we'll see.

#77 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

The Angels are being installed, you can see the one going in on the back elevator wall from the NBC broadcast. 

#78 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

I may have to drive a b-cycle down there at lunch to check it out, Austin.

#79 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

The Angels are being installed, you can see the one going in on the back elevator wall from the NBC broadcast. 

I may have to drive a b-cycle down there at lunch to check it out, Austin.

Hallelujah!

#80 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Just checked it out and there are two angels on the front and one on the back, all  installed up to their heads.  The place is really coming along.

#81 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Austin, after you let us know that you can see them on the NBC5 News, I looked for the angel.  I did see it over the weekend.  Here's a closeup of one of the angels being installed.  This was taken late yesterday afternoon, near sunset.

civilcts-const1.jpg

#82 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:01 PM

I noticed they seem to be very low on the building, there's a lot of room above them. I Wonder how that will come out.

#83 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

I never noticed the angel figures on the courthouse annex, probably because of their obscure location.  Now the figures will be prominently exposed on the new courts building.  Which has me, as a lawyer, wondering:  Why an angel?  Below is a quoted excerpt from the commonlaw.com website regarding the "Lady of Justice."

"Representations of the Lady of Justice in the Western tradition occur in many places and at many times. She sometimes wears a blindfold, more so in Europe, but more often she appears without one. She usually carries a sword and scales. Almost always draped in flowing robes, mature but not old, no longer commonly known as Themis, she symbolizes the fair and equal administration of the law, without corruption, avarice, prejudice, or favor."

Not suggesting the angel figures be replaced by the lady of justice w/scales.  But what does an angel symbolize?  Mercy and compassion, I guess.  May even inspire some of our hard-core civil judges (no names, here).

#84 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:24 AM

The angels on the old Civil Courts Building were 4 stories tall.  If the floor to floor heights on the new building are somewhat close to what they were on the old one, then the angels should be about the same height in relationship to the floors.  From the photographs of the new building, this appears to be the case.  For reference, go to http://www.fortworth...e.com/civil.jpg. This is one of the older photographs on the site, so the resolution is quite low.

#85 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Yes; the room above them is for the wings.

#86 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

I hadn't remembered them being so tall.

#87 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

This is'nt a complaint, just an observation, but this building is taking fooooorever to build. Did'nt it start before the Plaza? Sundance have built 3 large buildings and a plaza and this guy is still chugging along. 

7FlPCjC.jpg

yVvzq0K.jpg

#88 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Austin, for the record, construction actually started after the construction started for Sundance Square Plaza.  I have a couple of comments.  Courts buildings are highly specialized and they take longer to build.  When an owner builds an office building, they construct the shell without interiors.   This court building includes the entire package, including all of the finish-out.  Even though the Westbrook and Commerce Buildings are almost 100% leased, there are still office spaces inside that have not been finished out. 

#89 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I seem to remember that the family courts building was a very long project as well.

#90 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

The Mullions in the main facade are very nice. Looks they are just wrapping up finishing the ground floor exterior.

X8m47zA.jpg

#91 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

love the facade and loved that we cared enough to take our time to make this building a statement

#92 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

Looking good.  Can't wait to see the inside.

#93 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:42 PM

I love this building it has come out nice

#94 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Looking good.  Can't wait to see the inside.

Personally, I would prefer to not have to see the inside. :swg:

#95 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Good point.  I found out from reliable sources the other day that most of the courts in the old courthouse are staying put.  County courts at law and probate courts (and presumably JP1) will remain in the old courthouse.  The new civil law courts building will house the civil district courts currently in the Tim Curry Justice Center further to the west on Weatherford Street.

#96 BedfordLawyer

BedfordLawyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:40 PM

Good point.  I found out from reliable sources the other day that most of the courts in the old courthouse are staying put.  County courts at law and probate courts (and presumably JP1) will remain in the old courthouse.  The new civil law courts building will house the civil district courts currently in the Tim Curry Justice Center further to the west on Weatherford Street.

It is my understanding that all the courts in the old courthouse are staying put while the civil district courts, the second court of appeals and the district clerk's offices will all move into the new building. Then the Tim Curry courthouse will be remodelled and I believe the plan is to convert that building into exclusively criminal courts and their respective administrative offices.

The Kielich Law Firm

2205 Martin Dr #200

Bedford, TX 76021

#97 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

That is correct--Tim Curry Justice Center civil side will become admin offices and overflow courtrooms.

#98 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Since I've been practicing law I've always thought the state treats county courts at law as step-children to the civil district courts.  Why the Tarrant county courts can't join their district counterparts in more modern facilities is beyond my understanding.  Especially since the jurisdictional amounts in controversy for county courts in Tarrant County has been raised to $200,000 (from $100,000).  Which means they'll be getting a lot more of the cases previously filed in district courts.

In Dallas County,, several years ago,  the county courts at law were moved out of their old courthouse and into more modern facilities, which also house the civil district courts, on commerce street in downtown Dallas

#99 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

Tarrant County court at laws are awesome courtrooms.  The judges like them and they are a great place to practice law.

#100 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 05:20 PM

Does the plan still exist to demolish the Criminal Courts & Jail at 300 Belknap ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users