• 1,511 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

http://www.bloomberg...iversities.html

#2 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:37 AM

It's a minefield out there, and the people at TCU know that. The Big XII almost had to go raiding in order to avoid disintegrating. The Big East is in a similar quandary, but has done nothing since adding TCU to solidify itself, and may now suffer the consequences.

#3 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

I think it's the best move that TCU had available and probably the best move that the Big 12 had available. It's hard to tell what that will look like in 5 - 10 years. At the end of the day, it will all come down to what Deloss Dodds decides is in UT's best interests. Nothing else will really factor into the decision.

#4 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

This report  makes me angry and disappointed with the City of San Antonio, The Alamo Bowl and Bexar County.

These entities want teams to come to San Antonio; want the teams to bring supportive and opposing fans; want the fans to eat and drink in the city's restaurants and bars; and require the teams to stay in an area surrounded and accessible by fans that are drinking excessively and that often become unrestrained and rude because of alcohol.  Unfortunately, but predictably, the student athletes get caught up in this mixture.  So what does the San Antonio, the Alamo Bowl and Bexar Count do? 

Their answer is:   Overzealous Prosecution.

Shame on the player, but greater shame on San Antonio, the Alamo Bowl and Bexar County!

http://www.fortworth...b92eefef05.html

#5 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:01 PM

I have a hard time blaming anyone other than Boykin for this. A couple of hundred other players in town for the game managed to get through that atmosphere without getting in trouble. Not only that, wasn't he out after curfew? I get that he's probably paid his dues, but prosecution goes with getting arrested much of the time. If he was let off the hook, we would hear a lot more people upset that he was because he's an athlete.

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:28 PM

FYI - according to The Ticket, the case has been settled.  He plead no contest to a misdemeanor and received a year of probation, a $1500 fine, and has to attend alcohol awareness classes and perform community service.  A slap on the wrist.  His pro career, whatever one he might have, isn't in jeopardy.  He's a choir boy by NFL standards.

#7 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

FYI - according to The Ticket, the case has been settled.  He plead no contest to a misdemeanor and received a year of probation, a $1500 fine, and has to attend alcohol awareness classes and perform community service.  A slap on the wrist.  His pro career, whatever one he might have, isn't in jeopardy.  He's a choir boy by NFL standards.

And what about the drunken fan who was obnoxious and who believed that he had the right to be rude towards another person simply because that person is either an athlete or a member of the opposing team? Did this person or persons received comparable punishment.

Cities and bowl organizers share a large amount of the blame for encouraging visitors to spend freely on alcohol and as a result,  to act unruly.  I think you are being way too lenient on that kind of person.

Please read and then determine for yourself whether or not he deserved this.

http://www.mysananto...r-s-8334380.php

#8 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

I have no idea what happened to the heckler, but Boykin was charged with assaulting a police officer according to the story you linked.  Yes, he broke the law, got caught, and got what he deserved.  I made no comment on the heckler, so I'm not real sure how you reached the conclusion that I'm being lenient.

#9 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

I have no idea what happened to the heckler, but Boykin was charged with assaulting a police officer according to the story you linked.  Yes, he broke the law, got caught, and got what he deserved.  I made no comment on the heckler, so I'm not real sure how you reached the conclusion that I'm being lenient.

Blame should be passed around; and simply excusing the "heckler" because one has no idea what happened sounds lenient to me as well as being pre judgemental regardless of not knowing or taking in account of mitigating circumstances. 

We probably have all witnessed a someone delivering an unseen sucker punch where the victim gets penalized for retaliating.

I stand by my conclusion.

#10 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:37 AM

Please quote the part of any of my posts where I've said that the person heckling Boykin wasn't wrong. I wasn't there that night and I've never read why he was arrested and the instigator wasn't. The other person getting away doesn't change the fact that Boykin assaulted a police officer.

#11 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

Please quote the part of any of my posts where I've said that the person heckling Boykin wasn't wrong. I wasn't there that night and I've never read why he was arrested and the instigator wasn't. The other person getting away doesn't change the fact that Boykin assaulted a police officer.

A. By omission, you were lenient or dismissive of mitigating circumstances:

I made no comment on the heckler, so I'm not real sure how you reached the conclusion that I'm being lenient.

B. Pre judgemental

I have a hard time blaming anyone other than Boykin for this.....

:unsure:

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:22 AM

This is going nowhere. Troll someone else. I'm not omitting anything. I'm saying I don't know. I thought I made it clear that the instigator was wrong as well, but that wouldn't fit into your trolling routine. Shame on me for falling for it.

#13 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:23 AM

Kohlhausen is the real winner here. 

#14 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

Maybe he was the heckler!

#15 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

This is going nowhere. Troll someone else. I'm not omitting anything. I'm saying I don't know. I thought I made it clear that the instigator was wrong as well, but that wouldn't fit into your trolling routine. Shame on me for falling for it.

It may have been in your "thoughts" but exactly where or when is there a statement from you assigning some of the blame to anyone other than Boykin?

Read your posts.

#16 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 08:47 AM

Please quote the part of any of my posts where I've said that the person heckling Boykin wasn't wrong.

While not crystal clear, someone with the reasoning skills of a toddler could probably read a great deal into this statement.

This is part of college football's huge problem right now. Trying to find someone else to blame for why athletes are breaking the law. Baylor made it part of their culture (and they're far from the only ones doing it).

#17 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Please quote the part of any of my posts where I've said that the person heckling Boykin wasn't wrong.

While not crystal clear, someone with the reasoning skills of a toddler could probably read a great deal into this statement.

This is part of college football's huge problem right now. Trying to find someone else to blame for why athletes are breaking the law. Baylor made it part of their culture (and they're far from the only ones doing it).

"While not crystal clear..."  hmmmm! :wacko:

Wouldn't a reasonable person withhold pre judgement and refrain from publicly condemning someone before knowing all of the facts?

P.S.  Could there be such a thing as a "trolling toddler"? :swg:

BTW, there is one thing for you to be reminded of,  as you sink into the quicksand, is that the blame has and is certainly been shared from top to bottom at Baylor. 

#18 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

Blame for the scandal, yes. I was referring to the idea that women were blamed for their own sexual assaults.

#19 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:12 AM

Blame for the scandal, yes. I was referring to the idea that women were blamed for their own sexual assaults.

Completely under quicksand.  Where else will this lead?

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

Nowhere. I'm done.

#21 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Don't know why this was brought back up (or what it has to do with TCU being in the Big XII), but it makes no difference... this is over. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 11:22 AM

Don't know why this was brought back up (or what it has to do with TCU being in the Big XII), but it makes no difference... this is over. 

To avoid creating yet another folder, this seemed like the best place to blog on this particular subject.

As for its resonance, the subject matter can be viewed through multiple lenses.

Agreed, it is over but the greater socioeconomic issues at play are not to be mistook.

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 04:36 PM

TCU having another heck of a year. 

#24 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 26 October 2022 - 08:09 PM

Jb7jqDl.jpg

7fwPZnE.png

#25 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 03:09 PM

Has anyone else seen the graveyard of fallen TCU opponents in the front yard of a house across from the track and field complex on Bellaire Dr W?  Pretty clever.

#26 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 03:44 PM

Yes, Ive driven by that several times. It is clever.

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 04:39 PM

TCU still owns Baylor.

That had to be the Game of the Week.

316144452_1821505378216425_6603827797331 315740730_1821505391549757_4322399767306

7fwPZnE.png

#28 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 19 November 2022 - 06:42 PM

I can't believe that finish.  I really thought they had lost the game.

#29 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 03:40 PM

Fantastic win for TCU and for the city.  

#30 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 02 January 2023 - 08:59 AM

Great game!  Now we'll have an interesting national championship with two teams that have a record of winning in the last few seconds of the game.  

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 10:17 AM

I feel like Georgia will be a tougher opponent than Michigan, but very few people gave TCU much of a chance in the semifinals.  The few people I know that made the trip to Phoenix said that it was a great experience.

#32 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 05:59 PM

Great ESPN piece that ran during the pregame:

https://youtu.be/ytii2sYiBW0

#33 Stadtplan

Stadtplan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:54 PM

That is a cool piece. Thanks for sharing.

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 10:28 PM

So... at least the "Modern West" commercial was a highlight of tonight's game. 

7fwPZnE.png

#35 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:47 AM

Of course, the game turned out to be very lopsided in Georgia's favor and TCU fans came away disappointed if not depressed.  But TCU got to a national championship game and that is no small achievement when you consider how biased the ranking system is in my opinion.  Hooray, Horned Frogs!  And I'm glad Fort Worth was in the national sports spotlight for at least a short time, and the country forgot the Dallas Cowboys at least for a day.

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:38 PM

I went to the game. Was really cool to be at a National Champ even if TCU got mauled. SoFi is obviously a cool stadium but not suited to the conditions Monday night, it was a cold, wet rainy mess. 

#37 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:14 PM

SoFi looks like a great stadium and I've heard so much about the terrible weather.  It's a good thing they didn't have the game at the Rose Bowl

#38 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:51 PM

I went to the game. Was really cool to be at a National Champ even if TCU got mauled. SoFi is obviously a cool stadium but not suited to the conditions Monday night, it was a cold, wet rainy mess. 

tony-toni-tone-it-never-rains.gif

7fwPZnE.png

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 08:57 AM

Austin, I know that California has a lot of extreme weather conditions.  I have been to Los Angeles twice, and I was lucky both times that the weather was perfect.  (Sunny Southern California)  I could see how a covered stadium would become undesirable when there is a lot of rain occurring. 

#40 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 12:12 PM

Why would a covered stadium be bad when it's raining?

I'd imagine a covered stadium is better than an open air stadium when it's raining.

-Dylan

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 01:35 PM

Dylan, I'm sure Austin can fill you in on the details of the actual conditions inside the stadium.  I do agree with you that a cover over the field would be better than open air, but if it was windy, I could see how the wind could blow in the rain on the spectators sitting on the upper levels.  I also guess when you see this fantastic stadium with a roof, you would think that it was completely enclosed.

#42 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 03:35 PM

I wasn't there, but from all reports the weather on Monday night was unusual.  The wind was blowing and it was very cold.  The cover over the stadium provided very little comfort for large portions of the seating and the concourses.

#43 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,688 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 04:53 PM

Yeh, the cover on the concourses is actually just a perforated metal, so it does nothing to stop water. The concourses were polished concrete floors and extremely slippery when wet, evidently there were a number of injuries due to this

The ends of the stadium were open, meaning that the heavy winds blew in all the rain and completely drench fans sitting on that side. I was right on the 50, so no issue for us luckily. 

Although the roof over the field and seats itself stops water, there were numerous leaks where water was pouring through. 

#44 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 04:54 PM

I was there and the rain was blowing into the stadium on the fans from both sides. Plus the roof over by the 50 yard line on the TCU side allowed water to fall on the spectators in large amounts as the roof leaked.

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 12 January 2023 - 06:10 PM

With these reports, I'm glad that I didn't even make an attempt to attend the game. 

#46 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 11:58 AM

Yikes! It's amazing the design of a new stadium can be so flawed. Did architects think it would never rain during a game there?

-Dylan

#47 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 13 January 2023 - 01:18 PM

Yikes! It's amazing the design of a new stadium can be so flawed. Did architects think it would never rain during a game there?

Look at Jeriat's post #38..... which is mostly true but not for that day

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 13 January 2023 - 03:07 PM

Yeah, the recent rain events in California are not typical.  Inglewood's annual average rainfall is less than 4 inches and they're already well ahead of that 13 days into 2023.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users