9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

I walked my wife to the office (The Mercado) Near 20th Street on North Main. I have talked about this strip previously. It is a mixed surprise of classic old buildings, beautiful views, broken beer bottles, "Gentleman's Clubs", used car lots and weed covered sidewalks (At best... mostly there is not a sidewalk on either side?) My wife and I spent 90 minutes on this strip on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon and did not see another human walking along the street. This is a crazy place. To some extent, just Texas. (We don't walk much here) Oh ya... I brought my camera with a single lens. 60mm. Let's take a look...

Makes me wonder if this didn't used to be a filling station

And then I wonder what this use to be? A classic, yes.

And ditto, this structure

The old Ellis Pecan Factory. My wife's Grandmother (That has the farm in Arlington now, at 98) used to work here shelling pecans. She took the bus from Arlington. A hard assembly line job she hated. She had to wear pointed high heels as she stood on the line all day. It ruined her feet and still causes her pain 80 years later!

I am not a farm boy, but figure these are roosters. They followed us until we ran. (We did not want them to leave their home you understand.) It is not that we were afraid of them necessarily, though it may have looked that way.

Old electric plant. I miss the smokestacks. Handsome building.

Almost home. (Emerald City)

www.fortworthview.com

#2 Recyclican

Recyclican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Urban Planning, Conservation, Sustainability, Transit-oriented-Development, Historic Preservation.<br /><br />Hiking, camping, reading, BBQing, photography, traveling

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

I am not a farm boy, but figure these are roosters. They followed us until we ran. (We did not want them to leave their home you understand. It is not that we were afraid of them necessarily, though it may have looked that way.

Talk about a priceless photo-op missed. I sure wish someone were photographing North Main from your vantage point in the Tower at that given moment. I can see the Star-Telegram headline now: "Fort Worth Stock Show Rooster Rebellion"

#3 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:18 PM

I hope someone can do something with the electric plant one day. It's such a great building. Will this area be underwater one day with the new route of the river?

#4 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (longhornz32 @ Jan 18 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope someone can do something with the electric plant one day. It's such a great building. Will this area be underwater one day with the new route of the river?

What's the interior of the building like? Big open spaces?

#5 Phil Phillips

Phil Phillips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

Monee,

Your photo from the viaduct, south towards the old Courthouse, with the Bass Bros. Bldgs in the backgroud is very good.

#6 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

Just a shot looking North late this evening. I took video clips of the fireworks there at LaGrave Field after the game was over.

www.fortworthview.com

#7 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Very clear and and I like seeing the LaGrave field. Glad your back to snapping photos......
Mike

#8 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

My high school teacher Mr. Curry told me that this builsing also use to hold clan rallies for the KKK. I dont know if that is true but he was never wrong.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#9 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:18 PM

This info is from the City of Fort Worth website:

Ellis Pecan was constructed as a Ku Klux Klan hall in May 1924, fire bombed in November 1924, rebuilt. Following the decine of the Klan, it was used as a boxing arena and then a department store warehouse in the mid 1930s. Ellis Pecan operated its pecan shelling business at the site from 1946 through early 1999. Gideon Toal originally planned to renovate the facility into office space. However, in May 2004, a group of arts supporters purchased the site and will hold it while the Texas Ballet Theater raises the money to purchase it. The ballet would like to renovate the building for offices, studios, and a 500-seat
Mike

#10 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 21 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

crazy
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas