Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Pier One Place

Downtown Upper West Side Chesapeake Energy Pier One Modern Architecture

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the Design of Pier 1 Place (64 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate the Design of Pier 1 Place

1. 10 (8 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. 9 (21 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

3. 8 (21 votes [32.81%])

Percentage of vote: 32.81%

4. 7 (9 votes [14.06%])

Percentage of vote: 14.06%

5. 6 (3 votes [4.69%])

Percentage of vote: 4.69%

6. 5 (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

7. 4 (1 votes [1.56%])

Percentage of vote: 1.56%

8. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:34 PM

I suppose John will be transferring this topic before too long (feel free to delete this if you do transfer the other thread) but I am suprised I have seen no comments or pictures of the Pier One Headquarters (the Zippo Building). My job was transferred back to Dallas and I have not driven into downtown Fort Worth in several months. I had a meeting on Eighth Avenue this afternoon and I was surprised at the progress on this building and the RadioShack headquarters. The Zippo is a good looking building, I just wish it was a little closer to the other downtown buildings. It looks a little lonely way out there.

Seems like we have spent all our time marvelling over the progress of the Tower. Posted Image

Edited by John T Roberts, 24 November 2012 - 10:44 AM.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:42 PM

Andy, I have placed weekly updated pictures of Pier 1 Place at Architecture in Downtown Fort Worth - Pier 1 Place. I'm guessing that the members here felt that the coverage on the web site was sufficient. The same goes for RadioShack. I have also provided weekly construction photographs in its corresponding page. Pier 1 is a little lonely out on the river and it definitely towers over the mid-rise buildings in the Upper West Side. Hopefully, the 1/2 mile between Pier 1 and the core of downtown will fill in with more structures with some height.

Maybe one reason for all of the comments on The Tower is that the building itself has been controversial ever since it was constructed, and especially after the tornado.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

How about the latest pictures? Both were taken on April 3, 2004

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 Guest

• Guests

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:43 AM

I noticed yesterday that the temporary elevator is now gone, so I assume that the building has working elevators now. The tower crane proabably isn't far behind.

#5 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:09 PM

I totally agree with you John. Pier 1 needs some friends, right now it looks lonely :rolleyes: . I don't think it would be too hard to get some high rises in there, what with the *proposed* Town Lake project and the existing residences (A new one being built at the corner of Henderson and Peach, I think that's where, too). I can envision a few smaller loft towers (about 10 floors) going up some time soon, and eventually once the whole Upper West Side gets enough momentum, some more The Tower scale residential buildings that would definately fill that gap. If that light rail line ever gets approved, 7th street would be such an attractive place to locate ANYTHING.

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:49 PM

Jonny, you are correct with your light rail assumptions, but I'm now suspecting that will be many years away.

When the construction elevator is removed, that means that there is a working freight elevator inside the building now. The crane is scheduled to come down in the middle of the month. My educated guess is that it will be lowered on Friday, April 16th and then disassembled on April 17th and 18th.

#7 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:05 PM

Yes, tragically I think so too. With our growing urban population, I expect AT LEAST some form of funding/planning of the starter line will be proposed by the next bond election. While it should have been on this one, maybe more people living downtown can convince the city that light rail is at least a priority. But back to the topic...

Are you going to take an updated skyline photo once the crane is gone? I can't wait for it! And a note about the crown, in the rendering the glass looks a lot lighter/transparant. Right now it looks hardly different from the rest of the building unless the sun is hitting it. Idk, it just makes it look unfinished to me. But the night view, WOW I can't wait for that!

#8 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:12 PM

Jonny, I think the glass was changed between the time the rendering was done and it was installed. Slight revisions in design are not all that uncommon between the design phase and the completion of the project.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:19 PM

The tower crane is coming down today.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:25 PM

Well, I was a week off. I knew with the statement that it was coming down in the middle of April, it would be either this weekend or next. I was by there yesterday morning, but I didn't see how much was left to do by 5:00 PM. Soon, I will take a new skyline picture.

#11 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:10 PM

:unsure: Aw, I kinda liked seeing the cranes so boldly incorporated into the skyline. They made it look alive, anyone know what I'm talking about? I guess soon Radio Shack will be taking down their cranes, too. At least The Tower's crane will be up for a while longer, but I hope the CC hotel gets approved soon so that there's still some cranes downtown when that project's over.

Is there any chance the Tandy Center reconstruction will have tower cranes involved in it?

#12 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:34 PM

The Radio Shack cranes have been gone for awhile now. Maybe even as long a month now?

#13 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:45 PM

Oops, shows how much attention I pay... :unsure:

#14 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

's ok Johnny... you pay attention to a lot. But I agree that cranes add a sense of life and growth. It's been great seeing them sprouted up.

#15 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:00 AM

Road Work.

Pier One has been getting a great deal of road work done in the past few weeks, does anyone know where we can get a copy of the traffic plan? It appears serveral right turn lanes were constructed.

The parking lots on the Summit (err Pier One Plance) were being poured as well.

#16 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:01 PM

I heard a rumor that Pier One has to be out of there current location by the end of August. Is that correct?

#17 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:31 PM

The parking lots were poured a couple of weeks ago. At the current time, a great deal of road work is now going on at the interchange of Weatherford, Belknap, Summit, and Forest Park. It will be interesting to see what the interchange looks like when it is completed.

I haven't heard the rumor about Pier 1's lease in City Center being up at the end of August. I guess we will find out within the next few months.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:53 PM

Here's the latest and greatest photo taken today from West 7th Street. The Cash America Parking Garage is in the foreground.

Posted Image

#19 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:52 PM

Nice, in that pic you can actually distinguish the crown from the rest of the building. I'm so pleased with Duda-Paine's design, elegant and modern, FW needs more buildings like that.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

I'm now beginning to get anxious to see the crown illuminated.

Yes Jonny, in this view, the crown does distinguish itself. I took other pictures from the standard vantage points, and in those locations, it doesn't show up well. Today, I was conducting a tour of downtown for some 6th graders from Keller ISD and when I returned to my truck, the sun was shining through the crown. It looks very interesting when that happens. If I get time, I will post the picture tonight.

#21 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:40 PM

Excellent picture, John.

Thanks again to everyone who keeps updating this and other projects. It is so rare that I get into downtown Fort Worth any more. I appreciate the updates.

Andy N
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#22 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:17 PM

Thanks, Andy. I'm actually behind on updates and I had a camera malfunction (operator error) taking some of the construction pictures this weekend. Thankfully, a web site supporter came through for me and I will use his pictures when I upload them.

#23 JimmyR

JimmyR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:30 PM

I came across this page about the Pier 1 Building construction. I'm not sure if it has already been posted, but here it is...

http://www.txconstru.../0405_cover.asp
Jimmy

#24 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:02 PM

Apparantly, that helped local folks stay employed for 18 months.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#25 Guest

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:40 PM

Yeow ! Thanks Mr.Roberts you made my day.That last Photo takes my breath away ! This is something Fort Worth will beam with pride forever. Im so taken away with how this Building has taken shape. Can you just wonder what Downtown Fort Worth will look like a year from now when the major Building will be done and how it will give the overall look of Fort Worth .

:P

#26 Guest

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

Oh one more thing I wanted to say. Now this Photo is what I expect Logan to live at . LOL . Its very modern with the glimps of the remodaled Cash America. Very year 3000.I wouldnt be suprised if Hollywood will be coming to Fort Worth of all places to do another "Logan's Run" type movie.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:53 PM

Thank you for the comments on the last photo. Even though the building is partially hidden by the parking garage, I like the contrast between the two.

#28 Guest

• Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:40 PM

Thank you for the comments on the last photo. Even though the building is partially hidden by the parking garage, I like the contrast between the two.

No No. I love it .I like the garage ,as garages go. That pyramid adds to the futuristic look. Thats what I love about the photo. Don't get me wrong I also love our wonderful old Buildings of downtown.

I belive this will be our Modern section of Downtown. As we see The New Bank One looked to the past ,Our Convention center Looked to the past ect. I Don't think we will see brick type of Buildings in this part of Downtown.

Is this good or bad I don't Know? ;)

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

I am always a believer in having a mix of old and new. Since the Upper West Side is fairly low density, any new skyscrapers will probably be of the modern style. However, it is very difficult to predict the future!

#30 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:38 PM

That's a great link, JimmyR.

Now, for those schooled in the art, what does it mean when the exterior is described in that article as

the exterior glass provides a reflectivity in tune with sky and light rather than a mirroring.

While the writing style might invite some joking about the cosmic-ness, I suspect there is some substantial work behind that statement and I, for one, would like some education about what goes on in that arena.

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 09:50 PM

I've never really thought of it like that. If you look at the above photos, it looks less like a giant mirror and more like the building blends with the sky.

#32 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 02:05 PM

Update:

Construction appears to be in the clean-up stage. Most of the fencing is down. Serveral of the construction trailers are being removed.

The roadwork around the complex seems to be delayed by the rain, but looking good.

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:50 PM

Now, I have the first interior pictures to show of the building. I also saw the site plan and can see where the western part of Summit will be converted into Pier 1 Place. Overall the project has a very nice site plan. There will be only one tenant in the building -- Pier 1 Imports. They will not occupy the entire building at first because is was planned to handle expansion. The areas that they will not occupy will be left unfinished until they need the space. The building was designed to handle their needs until 2013. When the project was announced, Pier 1 stated the property was large enough to add additional office space. Everyone here on the forum speculated where that additional space would be constructed. I stated that I didn't think they would build toward the river because I think the building is at the edge of the 100 year flood plain. The architects didn't say that, but in looking at the site on the tour, it is pretty obvious they could not build another tower toward the river. When Pier 1 needs more space, another tower will be built to the southeast of the current building. The visitor's parking area occupies that site now.

The interior of Pier 1 Place:

View of the elevator core as you walk in the front door:
Posted Image

Travertine wall of the core:
Posted Image

View of the lobby looking somewhat out toward the north. The people standing in the lobby are all FWAIA members.
Posted Image

View of the south wall of the building core:
Posted Image

The employee dining room is in the lowest level of the building:
Posted Image

Offices ring the exterior of the building with open office (cubicles) between the core and the outer offices. The open office areas have windows which are located at the indentations on the short sides of the building. All of the offices have large etched glass panels adjacent to the door and a clear glass borrowed lite over the door and above the etched glass. This allows even more light to enter the open office areas. A reception area sits on the northeast side of the elevator core and then a large conference room is in the middle of the building on that side that faces downtown. On the opposite side of the building, there is a companion smaller conference room.

Typical office:
Posted Image

All of the decorative lighting on the building will be done internally. On the floors where offices and conference rooms are located, there are pendant mounted fluorescent lights that give both direct and indirect light. These lights sit at the bottom of an angled ceiling that tapers up to the curtain wall. Since the fixtures throw light upward, that cavity is illuminated. The glass in that location is frosted above the vision glass. The lighting for the building is being done as each floor is completed. I've already driven by to see how the illumination will look on the lower floors. This is the Pier 1 Staff Architect's Office. I'm showing this so you can see how the glass and the light fixtures will work.
Posted Image

The open office areas were crowded with architects and system furniture, so I really didn't get a good photograph to show those spaces that are finished. However, I do have a real treat for you. Some of the views out of the 20th floor of the tower.

Looking down the Trinity River toward the southwest:
Posted Image

Looking west toward the Fort Worth Forum's favorite building, Montgomery Ward:
Posted Image

And now the cream of the crop -- The Downtown Skyline:
Posted Image

#34 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

:roflol: Awesome tour, John! Looks like it will be a very nicely designed interior.

And just because, here are a few shots I snapped from the car today:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 gcarey

gcarey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 11:24 PM

Wow, great pics guys. I love the view of downtown.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 06:11 AM

They have a great view. The view from the lobby isn't half bad, either. Jonny, I really like your last shot of the building showing more detail at the entrances. Maybe, I'll walk over along the river and take a straighter shot this weekend. I think the interesting thing about the design is that the deepest inset windows are to give the open office areas a view and natural light. It will also give those workers a chance to see if a tornado will strike twice in the same place. :roflol:

#37 UrbanLandscape

UrbanLandscape

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Chrisitianity | photography | digital arts | writing | fire | architecture | film

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:45 PM

Oh one more thing I wanted to say. Now this Photo is what I expect Logan to live at . LOL . Its very modern with the glimps of the remodaled Cash America. Very year 3000.I wouldnt be suprised if Hollywood will be coming to Fort Worth of all places to do another "Logan's Run" type movie.

Ahh, Logan's Run...gotta love that movie. I would love to see it remade, and of course, in Fort Worth. Just don't know about them going to the Water Gardens again.

#38 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:07 PM

Great photos, John & Jonny. Thanks for posting them.

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:11 PM

Thanks, Donnie. I was by there today and they have now removed the last construction trailer and they are taking the project signs down.

#40 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

Great pics, guys. Killer views!

#41 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

Thank you. I always have fun sharing my tours with you all. I just wish that I could select one or two forum members to tag along. However, all of these tours have been limited to members and spouse, so none of you qualify. (Sorry)

#42 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Photography, Architecture, Cycling, Broadcasting, Art

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:08 AM

I'm confused about Pier One Place being refered to as the Zippo Building...can someone explain?

Also, does anyone have any idea when the crown will be lit up?

thanks!

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:16 AM

I think some of our forum members think it looks like a Zippo Lighter.

At our tour, I asked about the lighting of the building. The interior spaces that are a part of the lighting scheme are already having the lights installed within those spaces. If you drive by at night, you can already see how the decorative lighting is beginning to work with the lower levels. The people involved with the project stated that the building will probably be illuminated in a ceremony similar to the one they had in Austin for the Frost Bank Tower. (Same architect) In Austin, they tested portions of the lighting on the crown between midnight and 5 AM and only tested a portion of the crown at any one particular time. The architects stated they will probably be doing the same during the months of July and August.

So, now I have a photographer's challenge. If anyone wishes to go take nighttime or dusk pictures, please furnish a photograph of Pier 1 Place undergoing tests or nighttime lighting shots during the early evening. I would love to put some up here on the forum and the web site.

#44 kenkuhl

kenkuhl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Photography, Architecture, Cycling, Broadcasting, Art

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Thought that might be it. It is a somewhat Zippo-esque.

I've been watching for lights when I go by at night...I'll certainly grab photos and post them if I get any.

#45 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:40 PM

I may be completely off-base, but I believe the "Zippo" reference originated in a not-so flattering piece in FW Weekly in one of their year-end awards issues.

I drove down Forest Park on the way home last night and noticed that they had some spotlights shining on the indented center section near the top of the building. I can't wait to see the final lighting scheme.

#46 UrbanLandscape

UrbanLandscape

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Chrisitianity | photography | digital arts | writing | fire | architecture | film

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

I may be completely off-base, but I believe the "Zippo" reference originated in a not-so flattering piece in FW Weekly in one of their year-end awards issues.

Well I still like it.

#47 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:21 PM

I'd gladly go out and take some pics. What time of night would you suggest to be the best for viewing the lights, John?

#48 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

Jonny, the best time to take nighttime shots is just after sunset, while there is still light in the sky, yet the camera picks up the lights on the building. If you can't catch it at that time, it also works to the reverse right before sunrise. The next best time is when it is totally dark, and even then some fantastic shots have been taken at night. I would make it fairly early, because you should be out very late. To get good night photos, you need a tripod. Do you have one?

JBB, you probably were seeing some of the tests. Remember the building is supposed to open on September 1, so I'm sure the lights will be tested often until then.

#49 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:56 PM

Jonny, the best time to take nighttime shots is just after sunset, while there is still light in the sky, yet the camera picks up the lights on the building. If you can't catch it at that time, it also works to the reverse right before sunrise. The next best time is when it is totally dark, and even then some fantastic shots have been taken at night. I would make it fairly early, because you should be out very late. To get good night photos, you need a tripod. Do you have one?

Oh, actually I was referring to what time do they usually have most of the lights being tested, but thanks for the tips on taking night photos. I do have a tripod, so expect something in the next week or so.

#50 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 11:08 AM

They won't release that information because the whole idea is for the public to see the building illuminated at the ceremony. I was told that the tests would be similar to the Frost Bank Tower in Austin. In a previous post, I mentioned the times they tested the lights.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Upper West Side, Chesapeake Energy, Pier One, Modern Architecture

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users