#1 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

Fort Worth Councilman Wants Near-Total Smoking Ban
Proposed Revision Would Make Fort Worth's Ordinance Similar To Dallas, Austin

POSTED: 9:31 am CST February 14, 2006
UPDATED: 10:57 am CST February 14, 2006

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Lighting up in Fort Worth could soon get pretty tough as city councilman and former smoker Chuck Silcox wants to create a near-total smoking ban.

Silcox said he's received several complaints from people who are tired of breathing in cigarette smoke when they go out to eat.

But the proposal would restrict more than just smoking indoors. The proposed revision would ban smoking inside most restaurants and within 15 feet of a building.

It would make Fort Worth's ordinance similar to the ones in Dallas or Austin.

Some restaurant owners said this could give them a competitive disadvantage.

One owner said the filtration systems they're already forced to have in place work well enough.

"We've never really had a problem with, 'Hey I can still smell the smoke over here,' or things like that," restaurant owner Linda Morgan said.

"They have the right to smoke. I have the right not to smoke with them," nonsmoker Jack Peterson said.

The issue will be discussed at Tuesday afternoon's city council briefing, but no action will taken for weeks, if not months.

A smoking section in a restaurant or club has always made about as much sense as a urinating section in a pool.
blink.gif

#2 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

Its just another way to chip away at our rights..I dont smoke but I promise you it will hurt business...smoking sections are great..WHY?? because you can usually get a table faster and with out a wait..ahahhahaahha

#3 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:07 PM

City Government should stay out of companies business..

If Resturants want to accomodate folks that smoke.. then let them.

Companies can always post a 'No Smoking' sign on their entrance door. [Self Regulation Policy]

City Government can not police the issue anyway. They do not have the resources to do so.

Nuf Said.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#4 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

What about the right to work in a smoke-free workplace? It's a serious health hazard to waitstaff, bartenders, busboys, etc.

My casual observation from cities that have smoking bans is that business doesn't suffer a bit. Smokers still go out to eat and drink (with non smokers) and wait to smoke when they get outside. Not to mention the fact that Dallas, our nightlife competitor, already has a ban--so how does that hurt us? Also, if smoking is outright banned, then no more restaurants will have to invest in more costly ventilation systems.

But like I said, that's casual observation. Does anyone know what the real economic impact of smoking bans is? And does a city wide smoking ban affect insurance?

#5 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

I think it should be taken a step further. I think smoking should be illegal.

Yes - that's radical.... or is it?

The only reason cigs are legal is because the Tobacco industry is one of the largest and most powerful lobbying groups in the world! Why do I think it should be illegal? Because it's basically legal crack. Ask any doctor and they'll tell you that cigarettes are every bit as addictive as heroin or crack or any other hardcore illegal drug! Seriously! They are THAT addictive and the damage to the body is just as horrific...

If a teenager starts smoking pot at 15... and continues to smoke pot for the next 30 years everyone is horrified by that. He or she is branded as a drug addict by society. If a teenager starts smoking at 15, they have a little bit of a bad rep for a while, but that fades away with age and they just become "a smoker" which is somehow more acceptable just because it's not illegal. As for the pot-head... People won't leave their children with him/her, they won't trust him/her with their personal belongings, etc. But why? Is their bad habit really any worse than smoking cigarettes? Is pot really any worse than cigarettes from a health standpoint? Actually, many doctors will tell you that it's not as bad for you as smoking cigarettes... not that it's good for you, of course. Point is, cigarettes rank up there with pot and other illegal drugs in terms of health impact and addiction. It's just the label of being "illegal" that makes pot-smoking so wrong. If you remove the legality of it and just focus on the health issues it really isn't as bad as smoking cigarettes. Pot is just as illegal and crack and yet, it actually is less addictive than tobacco. And, tobacco is a bigger cancer-causing substance than pot. Pot has even been proven to have positive medicinal affects for some illnesses. I haven't seen any studies proving or showing that cigarettes have any positive affects on the body. So then, why is pot illegal and tobacco's not?

Answer: The Pot Industry doesn't have the political lobbiest pulling the puppet strings on the US Government the way that the Tobacco Industry does. Another thing... ever heard a pot-head's arguments for why they should be allowed to smoke dope legally? They have basically the exact same reasoning as cigarette smokers; It's my right... The govt should be allowed to tell me what I can and can't do to my own body... I'd rather die than stop smoking... I'll suffer the consequences, but it should be my decision.... Basically they have the same arguments I heard on the news last night when they were interviewing people at the Old South Pancake House on University about the smoking ban.

Okay, so back to reality... cigs are never going to be illegal, so back to the smoking ban in FW....

The ban in Dallas has basically had no affect in restaurant business. Think about it - what are smokers going to do... eat every meal at home for the rest of their lives? They may boycott for a little while, but they're not going to completly withdraw from society. The places that used to allow smoking in Dallas are still just as packed as ever. I for one, prefer to go out to eat in Dallas over FW because I don't have to deal with my meal being ruined by smoke drifting across the partition wall into the non-smoking area. The only bad thing that has resulted from the smoking ban in Dallas is that now, it's miserable to sit outside on a patio for dinner in Dallas because basically now the patio's in Dallas are the smoking sections. So, now when it's really nice outside all the non-smokers are stuck inside because the "cancer crew" has taken over every patio in Dallas.

The ban in Dallas also does not affect bars... you can still smoke in bars in Dallas so anything that is a restaurant/bar or bar/grille, the smoking ban does not apply. Snookie's is an example. I love Snookie's, but I hate going there sometimes because everything I wear in there has to go to the cleaners after eating there because all my clothes stink to high heaven after being locked in there with all the smokers.

Other cities have smoking bans and they are doing just fine. Most cities in California has complete smoking bans in all public facilities - including bars - and the businesses are thriving. El Paso - smoking bans in bars and restaurants... the last time I was there, it was so odd to walk into a crowded bar and realize that the air was clean. People were leaving the bar to go smoke outside. I left that night and didn't stink. It was awesome!

Now, I know I'm probably going to get a lot of heated comments from the smokers... And, I know it's your choice and the government shouldn't tell you what to do, yada, yada, yada.... But, if it's your choice to smoke and you're willing to pay the price for smoking then that's fine with me. But, are you willing to pay the price for my medical bills that are related to allergies and possible second-hand smoking related illnesses? No? Well, then are you at least willing to foot the bill for my dry cleaning so that I can enjoy the same rights to go out to eat and not smell like a frigging ash tray after eating dinner in the non-smoking section? Or, if I decide I want to eat on the patio too, are you going to respect my dislike of smoking enough to put out your cigarette while I eat?

And, for the record... I do not smoke pot or cigarettes. I think they should both be illegal.

#6 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

For the record I do not smoke pot or cigarettes either.

Fort Worth business pays city tax to manage city services. Let Fort Worth business manage their own company. Let them put a big red NO SMOKING sign on their front door... because it is really

A fire hazard which affects customers health
Building is higher fire insurance risk and higher insurance costs
Higher HVAC maintaince costs

IF the city gets involved in a Smoking Ban.. its saying the private companies can not fully manage their own business practices.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#7 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:02 AM

With the ventilation systems that are required, the nonsmoking areas stay clear of smoke. They may not always stay clear of the smell of smoke, but sometimes they reek of cheap purfume or strong disinfectant too.

Patrons have a pretty easy choice: if they don't like the smell they don't have to stay. It's up to the business owner to determine what the atmosphere should be. Just as the music choice or waitress uniforms attracts and repels certain people so will the smell of smoke.

#8 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

CHUCK SILCOX=BIG "OH Brother!"

This is ridiculous to even bring up to the city. I am sure there are plenty more topics of substance which actually affect our dear city. BIG waste o time.

It should definitely be up to the business owners to determine how to run their own business affairs. You can always place a split dining/bar/cigar/cigarette area from the other dining areas. Ventiliation systems are tax deductible, I think? So you might as well and invest in a certain clientele to attract your way. I can understand banning smoking at city mgmt. venues but in private business locations, "Give me a break Nel Carter!"

So what if cigarette lobbying groups have money to "burn", that shouldn't make a difference what the public (including business owners) truly want.

What about the right to work in a smoke-free workplace? It's a serious health hazard to waitstaff, bartenders, busboys, etc.

Though Texas is a "right to work state", owners are not going to change/challenge their client policy based on employee concerns, especially if the money keeps pouring in either way. Owners can simply fire somebody or choose not to hire them in many of instances. It's a definite Catch 22 with losing customers as a waiter/owner and gaining customers who smoke as a waiter/owner.

Pot (hemp) should not NECESSARILY be ILLEGAL, nor CIGARETTE SMOKING. IT should be taxed though. Can you imagine the possibilities. I know of and heard from many about top executives in Corp. America who "smoke and toke" at ease. It's just hypocritical to think that SMOKING a "J" is soooo TABOO in America. It truly is not. I would venture to say that about 30% of Americans who travel on to foreign soil (on marijuana legal land) will most likely smoke some during vacationing.

(Mayor) "Other than the constant smoking in our city's restaurant and bars. The State of FW is PHENOMENAL!". rotflmao.gif
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#9 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:09 AM

All for this ban and hope it will include bars after more discussion.

#10 pelligrini

pelligrini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(Willy1 @ Feb 14 2006, 06:33 PM)  

The ban in Dallas also does not affect bars... you can still smoke in bars in Dallas so anything that is a restaurant/bar or bar/grille, the smoking ban does not apply. Snookie's is an example. I love Snookie's, but I hate going there sometimes because everything I wear in there has to go to the cleaners after eating there because all my clothes stink to high heaven after being locked in there with all the smokers.

Other cities have smoking bans and they are doing just fine. Most cities in California has complete smoking bans in all public facilities - including bars - and the businesses are thriving. El Paso - smoking bans in bars and restaurants... the last time I was there, it was so odd to walk into a crowded bar and realize that the air was clean. People were leaving the bar to go smoke outside. I left that night and didn't stink. It was awesome!

Now, I know I'm probably going to get a lot of heated comments from the smokers... And, I know it's your choice and the government shouldn't tell you what to do, yada, yada, yada.... But, if it's your choice to smoke and you're willing to pay the price for smoking then that's fine with me. But, are you willing to pay the price for my medical bills that are related to allergies and possible second-hand smoking related illnesses? No? Well, then are you at least willing to foot the bill for my dry cleaning so that I can enjoy the same rights to go out to eat and not smell like a frigging ash tray after eating dinner in the non-smoking section? Or, if I decide I want to eat on the patio too, are you going to respect my dislike of smoking enough to put out your cigarette while I eat?

And, for the record... I do not smoke pot or cigarettes. I think they should both be illegal.

How about we take your arguement a step further. Maybe there ought to be some laws on crying babies and loud, obnoxious people, offensive perfume, people who don't bathe, and people who pass gas. That'll throw me off my meal more than smoke will.

Erik France

#11 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:00 PM

Lived near Sacramento before and after the smoking ban became law. Not much changed business wise, think some of the clubs I frequented did look less busy but that was just it, they looked less busy because you could actually see across the room.

Initially revenues did go down 10 to 15% but they bounced back and then some, possibly due those with serious allergies or breathing issues were now allowed access.

I did notice one side effect; smokers became more conscientious around non smokers in all situations. Pre ban, friends that smoked lit up whenever or where ever, blew smoke where ever most convenient. Post ban, they always asked if smoke bothered anyone and if they did smoke around people they made sure to blow smoke away from everyone and held their lit cigarettes as far away from non smokers as possible.

I say BAN them and they should add an additional line that stipulates that they must be walking if they are smoking in public areas, this prevents people from congregating in packs just outside the legal distance from entry ways creating a gauntlet non smokers have to get through to enter a building. Fines should start in the $250.00 range and go up, and be earmarked for police budgets.

Before the military really cracked down on smokers I kind of liked their solution. They painted a little red box in the corner of the parking lot and made it the smoking area, just enough room for 3 or 4 people standing back to back. I thoroughly enjoyed the days it rained.

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:00 PM

That's great that our military can come up with "solutions". But this is the same military that was passin em out during the past Wars. I understand that not only is smoking HABITUAL but it is also ADDICTING. Glad that our military can UNDERSTAND the human elements in certain situations.

I say you designate smoking areas. I patron a wonderful Chinese Restaurant near the 820 area and it is setup that way. There are times I will choose the smoking area just to get a quick seat or a lil privacy. biggrin.gif

People that can't STAND people smoking in public places don't do it because of their health, they act like babies because they aren't used to the smell. Am I right here? Me, personally I like certain tobacco scents, it kinda reminds me of my LL days when I would smell parents lightin up at the park and watch me "mow the competition down".

Initially revenues did go down 10 to 15% but they bounced back and then some, possibly due those with serious allergies or breathing issues were now allowed access.

That's alot of "books" to handle out there in SUCKramento. How reliable is this info.? dry.gif

Aren't judges allowed to smoke in their chambers? ohmy.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(safly @ Feb 15 2006, 04:00 PM)  

That's great that our military can come up with "solutions". But this is the same military that was passin em out during the past Wars. I understand that not only is smoking HABITUAL but it is also ADDICTING. Glad that our military can UNDERSTAND the human elements in certain situations.

Back in the days when the military provided cigarettes, complacency toward and acceptance of smoking was a part of society. It was far from exclusive to the military. That was a completely different time.

Two common topics that will always start wars on message boards: religion and restricting smoking in one way or another.

#14 courtnie

courtnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:History, Historic Preservation, Art, Antiques

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

ok..so lets ban cigs...and then we should ban everything that offends us..including things that dont offend you. so if your ok with drinking you coffee in your car but it irritates the person in the next car..then it should be banned and you should get fined for drinking your coffee in your car..so are we gonna hire extra cops to make sure that all smokers are walking and not stoping while smoking? they dont do anything about the long traffic jams and breathing the fumes of other cars or how about the cars that seem to produce more smoke then a 4 alarm fire? C'mon people...get real...its a right and after all isnt that why millions of people come to this country each year? for rights that they dont have elsewhere..if you want to be ruled by a communistic state that tells you what you can do and when..move to Cuba...at least there you can get a Cuban cigar... rotflmao.gif

I would hope that our city government would have more to do then worry whos smoking and whos not...lets see...we have bird issues, smoking issues..whats next is it going to be that the grass isnt green enough around the court house? seriously..

#15 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:44 AM

Disclaimers: I am a non-smoker. I think smoking is a stupid habit to develop, although I have several very intelligent friends who do smoke. Prolonged exposure to second-hand smoke jacks up my sinuses and makes my noggin hurt. I do not like to go places where I am subjected to that.

Also, I live in Arlington, where smoking is forbidden in restaurants. I like the fact that I can go out to eat and not have to breathe in someone else's exhaled tobacco.

But enough about me.

When someone proposes new legislation or regulations, knowing what problem the new rules are meant to solve can be a good place to start in analyzing the merit of the proposed rules.

QUOTE(David Love - well, the S-T actually @ Feb 14 2006, 02:36 PM)  
Silcox said he's received several complaints from people who are tired of breathing in cigarette smoke when they go out to eat.

Ah. "Several" people [3? 300? 3000?] have complained to their city council representative about tobacco smoke in restaurants.

I sympathize with them, but I disagree that new restrictions are necessary. Yes, my city requires restaurants to be smoke-free; however, I eat in Fort Worth and other cities with no such regulations about half as often as I eat out in Arlington and in most cases I don't find myself suffocated by stray smoke from the smoking section. When I do, I ask to be moved. (I hadn't thought about taking up the issue with the local council rather than with my server or the manager.) If my experience is ruined by the presence of second-hand smoke, I mention it to the manager; I may write a letter to the company; and I put the restaurant in the penalty box. That'll show 'em.

I agree to a degree with the point about the restaurant staff, but few have no other option than to work there.

I disagree that the rule change would hurt the restaurants (except possibly those close to restaurants in neighboring cities with no such rules). In fact, most restaurants may benefit for obvious reasons. Why don't more restaurants go smoke-free without intervention then? Because a restaurant gives up more business by being the only restaurant among its competition to have no smoking section than it would gain by being smoke-free [particularly assuming that your competitors' ventilation systems are sufficiently adequate to create a comfortable environment for most people].

I also think there are other options worth considering. The choice doesn't have to be between the status quo and a total ban.

#16 Redshirt

Redshirt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I am and always will be a Texas resident. I was born and raised in Fort Worth. Currently, I am in the Air Force working on the CV-22 Osprey, supporting the Fort Worth economy by working on those Bell heliplanes. :) I am currently stationed at Hurlburt Field home of the Air Force Special Operations Command.

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

I would have to say that the way the military handles smoking is probably the best way. As was stated previously the military uses designated smoking areas(DSAs) for those who smoke. Smoking is banned in ALL buildings and it seems to work out rather well; however, those who can't wait very long between smoke breaks tend to turn to the alternate...dip, chew, etc. So the downside to this is, especially in my workcenter, is drink bottles filled with people's spit which, by the way, emanates a wonderful aroma (thick sarcasm). If you haven't figured out I'm a non-smoker and I can't stand to smell smoke at all, it makes me gag. I think the military has the best idea to accommodate both parties.

As far as the city, state and/or local government telling businesses how to conduct themselves, those entities are there to do the will of the people. If a proposition is brought about and it passes/fails based on those votes of the people who participated then that is what the people wanted, roughly the same thing goes for a city council meeting. Whether or not the government should control smoking should based on what the populous wants. I personally would like to see smoking banned in all public areas at the very least, but I'm only a small part of the collective.

#17 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:01 AM

I guess, I suppose, I could tollerate smokers in a resturant. That is until I hear them hack up all that phlem. Thats when I get grossed out and lose my appetite. throwupen.gif

#18 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:12 AM

Sure.. vote with your pocket book. If you don't like it.. go to a smoke free resturant. It is "your choice". Business owners will get the idea.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#19 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:56 PM

For those on the loss of rights band wagon, in case you’ve not noticed, nearly every thing that is addictive / habit forming is already banned or regulated. In the land of the free, a terminally ill cancer patient can’t obtain a substance that alleviates their suffering. Yet in a country many would consider a bit less free than America, Russia, you can walk into a pharmacy and request any prescription you need, if you can spell it, you can buy it.

I’m not saying make them illegal, just that it should be illegal to intentionally expose others to hazardous / offensive chemicals, because the facts are that second hand smoke can kill people.

Why don’t non smokers speak up more often? Because it’s like trying to separate a crack addict from their crack, tends to evoke some rather anti social behavior, it’s just not worth it.

Another fact to ponder, a Harvard study found: “Extrapolating their results to the U.S. population, the researchers estimate that people with easily diagnosable mental illness comprise nearly 45% of the total tobacco market in the U.S.” What they couldn’t ascertain was whether mental illness made them more susceptible to cigarette advertising or if smoking caused the mental illness.

Maybe that’s why they say those things about meeting girls in bars? cool.gif

#20 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I’m not saying make them illegal, just that it should be illegal to intentionally expose others to hazardous / offensive chemicals, because the facts are that second hand smoke can kill people.

Alcohol kills people too. As of last Saturday, our VP nearly killed a person. SUV's kill people in accidents with low hood height disadvantages. School buses have no seatbelts, and the taxpayers don't seem to mind one bit.

Gimme a break abot the second hand CRAPOLA. That's like saying that I go to a favorite bar/club every night of the week, but ther is too much smoke. I can't seem to go to another bar/club of choice in the area, it's too frustrating. I just can't leave this particular bar/club, I can't. sad.gif

Pity Party anyone?

Smoke FREE areas only exist because society tends to slap on lawsuits left and right, like scratch and sniff stickers on a grade school folder. WORD.

I DO AGREE with 360's assessment on letting the market decide.

As far as the city, state and/or local government telling businesses how to conduct themselves, those entities are there to do the will of the people.

You mean like ol 50's Jimmie Crow LAW? Shewwwt.
www.iheartfw.com

#21 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:17 PM

Alcohol kills people too. As of last Saturday, our VP nearly killed a person. SUV's kill people in accidents with low hood height disadvantages. School buses have no seatbelts, and the taxpayers don't seem to mind one bit.

Actually, people kill people, alcohol can be blamed for a lot, even a few extra births, but those responsible are generally held accountable, regardless of their chemical state of mind, unless of course that state occurs naturally, then they get to go to the place with the fluffy walls.

Safly… you’re grasping, sounds like I’ve stepped on an addiction, I don’t want to separate anyone from their chosen chemical(s), as long as they can keep the carcinogens in their own system. Sounds like the beginning of a new pickup line, “Hey, can I buy you a nicotine patch?” rotflmao.gif Or if someone’s being unusually crabby, antisocial, etc… “We need a Patch STAT!” happy.gif

The market will dictate this issue; more and more cities are adopting this stance as well as entire countries so you might as well stop whining and learn to deal with it, take a deep breath and enjoy it.
--------------------------------------------------------

This one is REALLY confusing: So the only way to protect yourself from Second Hand Smoke when you’re out and about in nightclubs would be to…. Start smoking?

Secondhand Tobacco Smoke More Dangerous Than Smoking Itself
Implications for Women Especially Frightening

Scientists conducting a study on the effects of Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) say that secondhand tobacco smoke causes breast cancer and that it is more likely to cause breast cancer in young women than smoking itself.

"This study could have a broad impact on public policy, and lead to even tougher anti-smoking regulations and more lawsuits," says law professor John Banzhaf, Executive Director of Action on Smoking and Health (ASH). The study was conducted by scientists for the California Air Resources Board.

Although recent studies have linked smoking to breast cancer, this is the first study to show definitively that secondhand tobacco smoke is a cause of the dreaded disease that kills 40,000 women each year in the U.S.

Breast cancer is now the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women, behind only lung cancer. It kills more middle-age women than any other disease. Every fifteen minutes at least three women will develop breast cancer, and one will die.

Professor Banzhaf stated that this study will have a major impact on women's health, and it makes it clear that women should be especially careful to avoid any situation in which they are exposed to tobacco smoke. This is particularly true for women who have a higher-than-normal risk of contracting breast cancer, including women with long-term ETS exposure, especially young women.

"Citing Environmental Tobacco Smoke [ETS] exposure as a known cause of breast cancer could have potentially devastating effects on the tobacco industry as we know it, and induce far more successful legislation to protect non-smokers from the life-threatening effects of secondhand tobacco smoke," says John Banzhaf.

There have been many successful legal actions relating to lung cancer and other diseases caused by tobacco smoke pollution, but this new research opens the door to law suits for breast cancer against companies which still permit smoking in workplaces, especially if the sympathetic young women plaintiffs can show that they have never been exposed to tobacco smoke in their homes while growing up or after establishing their own residences.

Banzhaf notes that the U.S. Supreme Court has recently upheld a jury verdict in a wrongful death action caused by an exposure of only several hours to secondhand tobacco smoke, and that the Centers for Disease Control have also warned that even brief exposure to tobacco smoke can cause death.

"The fact that breast cancer alone is perhaps the most feared type of cancer in women could very well be a powerful new warning tool which could be used by anti-smoking organizations, as well as those arguing for more restrictions on smoking," said Banzhaf.

PROFESSOR JOHN F. BANZHAF III
Executive Director and Chief Counsel
Action on Smoking and Health (ASH)
2013 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20006, USA
(202) 659-4310 // http://ash.org

#22 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:34 PM

Love to see a Law Professor with an agenda discussing health issues. Dr. Who?

#23 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:06 AM

The market will dictate this issue; more and more cities are adopting this stance as well as entire countries so you might as well stop whining and learn to deal with it, take a deep breath and enjoy it.

Could you please explain how a city or national government's legislative action is defined as "market" dictates...

#24 Sam Stone

Sam Stone

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

There is as much a market for governments as there are markets for other products and services. The transaction costs are lower the lower down on the totem pole you go, such that those with means (upper and middle classes and the businesses that serve/employ them) move to the jurisdiction that meets their consumer profile. "Smoking Ban" constitutes one feature among many that consumers of government (residents/businesses) receive when selecting a location or electing to remain in one. So, in the "city market" there are those with smoking bans and those without. As your competitors adopt smoking bans, it becomes less costly for you to do so.

I think this is what David meant.

#25 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

Why do lawyers always nit pick the irrelevant? sleepgo.gif

Has anyone else noticed that about 6 months to a year after a smoking ban has been implemented a good number of smokers give up the habit due to inconvenience?

#26 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(ghughes @ Feb 16 2006, 11:34 PM)  

Love to see a Law Professor with an agenda discussing health issues. Dr. Who?

I think the point being made was that there is a direct link between 2nd hand smoke and cancer, one that will hold up in court. Instead of or in addition to taking on the tobacco company goliaths, employees that have been put in harms way by their employer’s policies dealing with smoking can now hold the company they work for liable.

#27 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 20 2006, 01:54 PM)  

Usually it's for the fees, but sometimes just for fun.

#28 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Feb 20 2006, 03:07 PM)  

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 20 2006, 01:54 PM)  

Usually it's for the fees, but sometimes just for fun.

How true, but they are pretty handy for speeding tickets, I have to admit.

I remember my junior high debate coach would tell us, “If your argument doesn’t have a leg to stand on or your opponent is flat out right; nit pick the little stuff, spelling, diction, accent, hair cut, anything to discredit your opponent thereby discrediting his argument.”

I generally assume the nitpickers just lack a credible argument.

#29 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 20 2006, 04:28 PM)  
I remember my junior high debate coach would tell us, “If your argument doesn’t have a leg to stand on or your opponent is flat out right; nit pick the little stuff, spelling, diction, accent, hair cut, anything to discredit your opponent thereby discrediting his argument.”

That may have worked on the junior high debate team, but it's seldom effective in front of a judge. Heck, even juries (and most of us "architecture wannabes") see through that kind of stuff.

#30 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Feb 20 2006, 05:40 PM)  

QUOTE(David Love @ Feb 20 2006, 04:28 PM)  

That may have worked on the junior high debate team, but it's seldom effective in front of a judge. Heck, even juries (and most of us "architecture wannabes") see through that kind of stuff.

Yes but some insist on trying it, just the same.

#31 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

I am all for a smoking ban. I don't smoke.

I do eat too much chocolate ....but that is not affecting the health and comfort of others.

cheeburga.gif

#32 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

Smoking is a nasty, filthy, terrible habit shakehead.gif and I don't frequent any restaurant that has a smoking section.

#33 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:37 AM

It's all good David.

I love smoking & non-smoking section restaurants equally. Personally, I don't smoke (unless I had too much drinkydrinky in a short period of time), but I would ALWAYS patron a venue that would allow people to exercise their legal drug of choice. Smoking is not illegal, so why ban it in a private business? If I am not in the mood for some semi-second hand smokeage then I will not enter it's doors. Perty simple. Case in point a well know Irish Pub in DTFW. Love it, but choose not to expose myself to it everyday.

Second hand smoke is soooo 80's. With all the NEW air flitration technology these days, those waitstaff lawsuits will not make the docket. I can understand if an owner refused to comply with smoking section devices for a cleaner public air, then a waitstaff was dignosed positive after a negative pre employment diagnose analysis. That of course after the employer had a consent waiver for access to certain medical history.

I am not saying that it is a civil liberty or right to smoke in a restaurant, but it is also not right for legislators to put their dirty lil thumbs on AMERICANS everyday and every election year. This is soooo obvious why it is being thrown out for the public to read up on or hear through the grapevine. POLITICAL AGENDA is a double edged sword.

As far as carcinogens go, can you imagine somebody walking up to Del Frisco's mgmt. and telling them that they currently have a lawsuit against them because of their delicious juicy 12 oz. rib-eyes were being grilled over an OPEN FLAME which had created a carcinogenic meat property in reaction to the high heat contact. Thus diagnosing the said plaintiffs colon (or some other) cancerous state. I wonder what that would do for our dear COWTOWN. Think about it and discuss. dry.gif

If it does pass, should certain establishments be grandfathered in?
www.iheartfw.com

#34 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 26 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

The problem with the smoking ban is that's it's very difficult to enforce. If you go to many bar/restuarants in Dallas, especially doing the late hours, people still smoke and noone says anything. I don't smoke, but I was against the ban in Dallas, mostly because I thought it would hurt the restaurant industry, I don't t think it has. And it's funny how you become used to it...whenever I eat out in Addison or FW and they ask smoking or nonsmoking it takes me by surprise. One time I said "smoking" by accident.

#35 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:30 PM

What reason did the powers that be have to make it illegal to drive without a seat belt?

If I remember correctly ... The right to choose was taken away because the society at large was paying the medical cost for all the uninsured drivers that were injured.

Seems to me the same argument could be used for smokers.

#36 Yossarian

Yossarian

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Except smokers by and large die younger and DO NOT actually put that much more of a strain on the medical costs "society" pays - in true dollars.

#37 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

Study: Cigarettes cost families, society $41 per pack

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — Cigarettes may cost smokers more then they believe. A study by a team of health economists finds the combined price paid by their families and society is about $41 per pack of cigarettes.
The figure is based on costs for a 24-year-old smoker over 60 years for cigarettes, taxes, insurance, medical care and lost earnings because of smoking-related disabilities, researchers said.

"It will be necessary for persons aged 24 and younger to face the fact that the decision to smoke is a very costly one — one of the most costly decisions they make," the study's authors concluded.

Smokers pay about $33 of the cost, their families absorb about $7 and others pay a little less than $1.50, according to health economists from Duke University and a professor from the University of South Florida. The study drew on data including Social Security earnings histories dating to 1951.

Incidental costs such as higher cleaning bills and lower resale values for smokers' cars were not included.

Most smoking studies rely on a snapshot of annual costs, said co-author Frank Sloan, an economics professor and the director of the Center for Health, Policy, Law and Management at Duke's Terry Sanford Institute of Public Policy.

Despite the finding that smoking is a costly habit for individuals, society carries less of a burden than generally believed, the study's authors determined.

"The reason the number is low is that for private pensions, Social Security, and Medicare — the biggest factors in calculating costs to society — smoking actually saves money," Sloan said. "Smokers die at a younger age and don't draw on the funds they've paid into those systems."

Given the high costs, it is "remarkable," the authors conclude, that money from the 1998 settlement involving 46 state attorneys general and major tobacco manufacturers largely are not being spent on smoking-cessation or related programs.

Many states use the money to cover budget deficits or, as in North Carolina, on economic development in tobacco communities.

The study's other co-authors are Jan Ostermann, Christopher Conover and Donald H. Taylor Jr. of Duke, along with Gabriel Picone of the University of South Florida. Their research was supported in part by a grant from the National Institute on Aging.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#38 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE(redzeep @ Mar 17 2006, 02:30 PM)  

What reason did the powers that be have to make it illegal to drive without a seat belt?

If I remember correctly ... The right to choose was taken away because the society at large was paying the medical cost for all the uninsured drivers that were injured.

Did you call or write into "Anything you ever wanted to know" on KERA today? Someone put forth that exact question with almost the exact same wording.

#39 heinzrx

heinzrx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:09 PM

Hello all.

New member here. I don't smoke but I have friends that do.

Rant mode: ON...

All you anti smokers crying about secondhand smoke while you live in an urban jungle with poor air quality. How can you live in the DFW metroplex breathing this crap day after day and worry about secondhand smoke in a resaurant/bar one or two hours a week? Or do you eat all your meals at restaurants seven days a week?

Have you ever checked the air quality in your own home? Most people don't even think about it. You might be surprised how much crud is hanging around in your AC ducts.

And if you're worried about smokers costing society big $$ let's also pick on fat people, people who eat unhealthy foods, people who drink alcohol, people who don't exercise, people with genetically derived health problems, people who pile fertilizer and pesticides on their lawns that gets washed into our streams and rivers, people with children whose education is partially paid for by childless taxpayers, people who chose to live in hurricane zones, people who chose to live in earthquake zones, people who drive giant SUVs contributing to our dependence on foreign oil requiring us to send our troops to invade other countries and die by the thousands and costing the taxpayer hundreds of billions.....

I'm running out of steam, but I think you get the idea. People do all kinds of things that indirectly cost you and me $$. So what? You think banning smoking is going to save you a significant amount of money? When the government can't suck money out of the tobacco companies any more, they'll find more ways to get it out of the taxpayers.

Let the smokers have their vice. I'm sure we all have one or two of our own. Let restaurants choose whether or not to have a smoking section and let diners choose where they want to go.

Slightly off-topic but why do automobile drivers have to wear seatbelts while motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets? That one never made sense to me. I commute on a motorcycle and I always wear a helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves. But if Bubba down the street wants to ride his motorcycle in shorts, baseball cap and flip-flops that's fine by me.

And while I'm on the subject of motor vehicles. We're all probably in much greater and more immediate danger (compared to secondhand smoke) from bad drivers. Mostly drivers yakking on cell phones and elderly drivers who shouldn't be driving anymore. Why isn't there a requirement for elderly drivers to re-certify on an annual basis?

Rant mode: OFF...

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better!

Heinz

#40 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

This issue died weeks ago.

Smoke away.

#41 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 05:40 PM

Welcome aboard, heinzrx!

And, frankly, thanks for some well-placed perspective.

#42 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

WELCOME HeinzRx.

It appears I have found my equal. devil.gif

We can CONQUER this WORLD together. ph34r.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#43 heinzrx

heinzrx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

David Love,

Was just cruising the postings regarding the demolition tomorrow. Beautiful view from your balcony. Just can't believe that you're willing to stand out on the balcony and breathe all that dust! Aren't you worried? tongue.gif

#44 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:33 AM

No dust with this rain coming in. Plus the mote depth and the parking garage will block that spread.

For all of you people arguing for smoking bans.
I guess it's too late to consider banning air polluting IMPLOSIONS.
www.iheartfw.com

#45 redzeep

redzeep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Mar 17 2006, 03:39 PM)  

QUOTE(redzeep @ Mar 17 2006, 02:30 PM)  

Did you call or write into "Anything you ever wanted to know" on KERA today? Someone put forth that exact question with almost the exact same wording.

Yes, I did. Then someone walked in my sales office. So, I missed it if it was talked about.

Smokers don't really bother me ....but, paying these no seatbealt tickets at $150+ sucks!

#46 ghughes

ghughes
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:35 PM

Total Smoking Ban in Calabasas, California:
http://www.sfgate.co...MNGU7HQGCO1.DTL

My favorite part: "Smoking in one's car is allowed, unless the windows are open and someone nearby might be affected."

#47 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

And Americans wonder why Team USA is not in the World Baseball Classic championship round. biggrin.gif

Bunch of babies.
www.iheartfw.com

#48 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE(redzeep @ Mar 17 2006, 12:30 PM)  

One of the reasons I remember hearing is that unbelted drivers were more likely to lose control of their car and increase the risk to others. Really, any unbelted passenger could increase the risk of injury to others in an accident.

The seatbelt issue and the smoking issue are not the same. I can reasonable choose not to patronize a smoky bar or restaurant. Choosing not to share the road with unbelted drivers is more problematic. Not that I've ever given any thought to whether other drivers were belted or felt uncomfortable when spying someone not securely strapped to their controls.

#49 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:53 AM

Buck, I thought the smoking ban was dead? What happened?

CBS 11: Fort Worth Considering Smoking Ban

#50 ashivone

ashivone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

When I lived in Bolivia I would occasionally come across people who had lived and worked in the United States (sometimes legally and sometimes not). When I would tell people I was an American (they always thought I was Argentinian or German) they would invariably say they liked America but that there were too many rules and not enough freedom. They would always say with pride "There, you are rich, but you are not free. Here, we are poor, but we are free". As a red-white-and-blue blooded American I always took some offense to that statement. I thought "We're America, WE ARE FREEDOM!" Now I come back to America and begin to live life as an American again. I go to Dallas and go to a bar, try to light up, and someone says "sorry, you can't do that here...oh, and watch out-- the TABC could arrest you for those two beers you just drank"; I go to a Rangers game and try to park in an empty parking lot and I'm told "sorry, you have to go closer to the stadium and pay $10 to park"; I go 7 miles over the speed limit and I'm told "sorry, you're going a little too fast, you owe us $100"; I still believe we are the land of the free and I don't believe these are outrageous violations of my rights, but I can see why a Bolivian would say "There, you are rich, but you are not free".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users