In: Saviano's, New club in City Streets space by Halloween :wacko:

http://www.star-tele...are-losing.html

#2 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

Too bad about Sammy's closing - it was the downtown restaurant that I went to most frequently (which wasn't all that often - but it was something I would occasionally stop at on my way home from work). I wonder what the violation of the lease was. The article makes it seem that it was because he purchased another restaurant - though I don't know why something like that would be rationally prohibited in a lease.

I have never been to Billy Miner's but have a friend who has regard for it and tells me that it is busy when he has been to it. What I don't understand is, if the place does, in fact, make money, why would the owner want to simply shut it down? Why not sell it to somebody else to keep it going? It seems to me that there is value in the brand name and the reputation that is being allowed to simply evaporate.

Zippy's is no loss to me personally - last time I was ever in that building it was still a Whataburger. But it does seem to me that there is now a certain void. Given the number of people who work downtown and the street traffic in the evenings, it is kind of odd that if one wishes to get an ordinary cheapo fast food type burger meal one now has to drive to someplace other than downtown to get it. Given how many such places exist pretty much everyplace else, presumably there would be a certain demand for it downtown. Perhaps a good opportunity for someone.

I've driven past Savianos in Euless many times and was curious if it was any good but have never stopped in.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#3 eastfwther

eastfwther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:46 PM

As areas like Magnolia and W7th continue to grow, you're going to see the effects on downtown businesses. I, for one, think it's a good thing. Downtown has almost had a monopoly in Fort Worth for years, and in my opinion, most downtown offerings were getting pedestrian and bland (restaurants and bars). I've heard some people speculate the Bass' never wanted other major development around downtown because of the competition with Sundance Square. I don't know if that's true, but I do know Magnolia Avenue's restaurant are much more interesting than most anything in Sundance.

#4 urbancowboy

urbancowboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sustainable, Livable, Urbanism

Posted 25 September 2010 - 04:53 PM

I haven't had Saviano's in years, but it was good when I had them. I have always wondered why there isn't more retail downtown. You would think that at least have a "Gap" by now or something along those lines. I wonder what downtown would be like if Sak's had opened up there in the 90's as originally planned instead of going to NE Mall.

#5 walton91

walton91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:55 PM

"Sammy's" is closing but not really going away. I had lunch in there on Saturday and the owner told me he's taking all his employees over to Picchi Pacchi. It will be pretty much the same greatness but in a new location. As for the violation, I guess that might be considered competition for Sundance Square? It seemed to me that the reason he bought the new restaurant was because Sundance Square wouldn't commit to a long term lease on his spot. I think he sensed something may be up and got the new restaurant so he'd have a place to go. That sounds feasible to me that Sundance Sq had this in the works for a while since Saviano's is ready to roll right into both spaces right away. I could be very wrong on that but that was my impression. Anyway as a customer of the great Shelton Givens Barber Shop, the Sinclair is going to be a great one-two punch for me on Saturdays.

#6 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

City Streets:

The only thing that surprised me was how long it lasted.

They did have the AC advantage but it just seemed the longer they were in business the more every club in there looked the same. I visited the one in Addison when it first opened, it was a LOT of fun especially the country dance club mixed in with a cigar bar and a disco, maybe people get tired of variety.

That place is HUGE on the inside and it's not a cookie cutter layout so I'm interested in what they do with the place.

Still don't understand how downtown Fort Worth can call itself Cowtown when the closest CW bar is Billy Bob's, wonder if ESPN will notice that.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#7 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

I have always wondered why there isn't more retail downtown. You would think that at least have a "Gap" by now or something along those lines. I wonder what downtown would be like if Sak's had opened up there in the 90's as originally planned instead of going to NE Mall.

I agree that Downtown Fort Worth needs more retail! However, what needs to be done in Fort Worth is locally owned independent retailers need to be drawn to Downtown. Retailers such as Gap, department stores, and other national retailers are most often only attracted to CBD's with a substantial residential population, i.e. Chicago, Boston's Back Bay, Philadelphia Center City, and the like. Fort Worth has always surprised me how few (if any?) locally owned boutiques look to Downtown as a place to set up shop--instead they all seem to stay in the Westside/Camp Bowie corridor.

#8 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:52 AM

Compared to other cities, I think Fort Worth's CBD is still in its infancy. Not 100% sure but I don't think you could purchase a residence in downtown Fort Worth until around 2005, I remember whining on the forum around 2001-2003 that I wanted to live downtown but I did not want to rent and there were zero options to purchase unless you could afford to buy an entire building or block.

With the majority of the downtown square footage being controlled by a select minority, progress is going to be slow because expansion by committee, by its nature is slow, bland and beige.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#9 DKM

DKM

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Looks like Sundance doesn't have a good burger joint anymore. Is there one outside of Sundance but still Downtown?

#10 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:23 PM

Jake's is very good and in Sundance Square
http://jakesburgers....-mainstreet.php

I've heard the 7th Street Grill has good burgers but I have never been... Also, Love Shack @ So7 is not too far. Also, don't forget about Risky's... although known for BBQ they have a great burger:

Mesquite Grilled Cheeseburger$6.95
Fresh Certified Angus beef® Mesquite Grilled and served on a toasted bun with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, jalapeno pepper and mayonnaise (on the side). :cheez:

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:54 PM

I haven't ever tried Riscky's hamburgers. I have eaten burgers at all of the other places. I will have to give their hamburgers a taste.

#12 DKM

DKM

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:07 PM

I forgot about them and they are not listed on the Sundance Square dining website.

#13 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

Also, Love Shack @ So7 is not too far.

As long as we're going out of Downtown, please also consider the Near Southside. There are several places with burgers that get high marks: Lili's Bistro and Cat City Grill on Magnolia, and I'd wager Old Neighborhood Grill on Park Place would be good as well. Shaw's Burgers and Shakes (formerly Scampi's) will be open in the next few weeks on Magnolia. And there's Spiral Diner's extremely tasty vegan burgers as well for those of us who don't do meat. They're on Magnolia as well.

--

Kara B.

#14 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

Also, Love Shack @ So7 is not too far.

As long as we're going out of Downtown, please also consider the Near Southside. There are several places with burgers that get high marks: Lili's Bistro and Cat City Grill on Magnolia, and I'd wager Old Neighborhood Grill on Park Place would be good as well. Shaw's Burgers and Shakes (formerly Scampi's) will be open in the next few weeks on Magnolia. And there's Spiral Diner's extremely tasty vegan burgers as well for those of us who don't do meat. They're on Magnolia as well.

I want to try the Spiral Diner but I have severe peanut allergies. Don't they use peanuts in a lot of their dishes?

#15 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 02:03 PM

I want to try the Spiral Diner but I have severe peanut allergies. Don't they use peanuts in a lot of their dishes?

I wouldn't say "a lot," but some dishes do. You can ask for advice from the staff, either in person, calling, or e-mailing. They also have a special allergy menu, but I don't think it breaks out peanut-free stuff. http://www.spiraldiner.com/ Definitely check with them, though - I don't have any special knowledge of all their ingredients. Just a fan. :)

--

Kara B.

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

I realize we are off topic, but I really like the Spiral Diner's burgers. The last time I had one at the Old Neighborhood Grill, it was excellent. We probably should get this thread back on topic, and if anyone wants to start a thread on South Side eats or out of downtown dining, the forum is yours.

#17 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:35 PM

Here's another restaurant coming to Sundance Square: Ojos Locos Sports Cantina.

Tex-Mex sports bar to open in downtown Fort Worth

100-ounce beers. That's three-quarters of a gallon. Loco indeed.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

The case went before the Downtown Design Review Board earlier this month, but I wasn't sure what restaurant was going into the space.

#19 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 05:59 PM

Wow--Dixie House didn't last long. When did it close? Not a fan myself, but I thought it would do well there.

#20 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

The Dixie House closed some time back. I thought it would do well there, also. One of the reasons they closed was due to a sewer smell throughout the restaurant. I'm hoping that in this new renovation, they will fix whatever created the problems in the space.

#21 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

The case went before the Downtown Design Review Board earlier this month, but I wasn't sure what restaurant was going into the space.

Yes, if memory serves me correctly they are wanting to replace the existing windows with glass "garage doors" so they can open up in nice weather.

#22 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

Here's another restaurant coming to Sundance Square: Ojos Locos Sports Cantina.

Tex-Mex sports bar to open in downtown Fort Worth

100-ounce beers. That's three-quarters of a gallon. Loco indeed.

Not that it really matters a great deal but this technically not a Sundance Square building, neither is the building that houses Jakes for that matter. They are definitely very near neighbors of Sundance though.

#23 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:41 PM

I forgot about them and they are not listed on the Sundance Square dining website.

Meh. Thin patties, with meat juice added according to chow, baby. Not bad, just not good compared to the better places in town. I'm sure some of the better restaurants (steak, etc) would have a good burger.

#24 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:16 PM

On the topic of Sundance Square itself, all the activities there over the years will culminate in the Super Bowl events next February. How much more attractive this area would be if the proposed plaza became a reality!

#25 JKC

JKC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:37 AM

On the topic of Sundance Square itself, all the activities there over the years will culminate in the Super Bowl events next February. How much more attractive this area would be if the proposed plaza became a reality!

You're preaching to the choir, but preach on.....

#26 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:48 PM

This new sports bar, Ojos Locos, is open and doing a great business. (5th and Houston) It is as though they were wanting it to be open in time for the Super Bowl/Media people...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#27 FortWorthHoleInTheWall

FortWorthHoleInTheWall

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be a bar opening up in the Carnegie building (or nearby) before the Super Bowl? Frankies maybe?

And I thought the Italian restaurant replacing Sammy's and Zippy's was supposed to open before this week. Today they still aren't open and they need to get a staff trained quickly to handle the crowds.

Regardless of all that, downtown looks pretty sharp right now with the giant tents, new shrubbery and people milling about.

#28 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:24 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be a bar opening up in the Carnegie building (or nearby) before the Super Bowl? Frankies maybe?

And I thought the Italian restaurant replacing Sammy's and Zippy's was supposed to open before this week. Today they still aren't open and they need to get a staff trained quickly to handle the crowds.

Regardless of all that, downtown looks pretty sharp right now with the giant tents, new shrubbery and people milling about.

Frankie's is opening soon if not alreday... http://www.frankiesbar.com/ Ojos Locos is F-U-N! Freindly waitresses (think Hooters), good food (more than bar food - good Mexican food). 100 oz beers (there have to be three peopl partaking to get the 100 oz tube filled all the way up) :wacko: And Brian is right... Lots of flat panel tvs and each booth has its very own flat panel tv as well.

#29 txsloth

txsloth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

What did Ojos Locos replace? I'm having trouble picturing where it is...

#30 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

Ojos Locos replaced Dixie House, which replaced Bennigan's.

Star-Telegram has reported that Frankie's won't open in time for the Super Bowl, much to its owner's chagrin. D-FW Small-business owners get ready for some football

#31 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,431 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

The same article mentions that Saviano's will open on Sunday.

#32 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

The same article mentions that Saviano's will open on Sunday.

Wow, talk about missing the boat :-)

#33 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

I was planning to head down to Sundance Square on Sunday to see all of the set up activities, but a friend asked me to assist him with a problem computer and I spent over five hours trying to fix it. Then, I said if it wasn't too cold, I would go down there one night after work. I'm a bit soft, so with the weather, I'm sure that I probably won't get down there.

#34 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

Sundance management has expressed interest in attracting a clothing retailer to fill the former Billy Miners' space.

http://www.star-tele...s-clothing.html

Neiman Marcus was reported recently as working to reposition itself as less "ultra-exclusive". I wonder if this could be the time for them to come to downtown Fort Worth. It would be cool for SSto have even a smaller version of the Christmas window dressing their store in DT Dallas puts on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users