Photo
- - - - -

Hogan Office Supply building gets new owner

Downtown Historic Buildings Art Deco Remodeling Preservation Kress McCrorys Shelton Building Ben Hogan

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hogan building gets a new owner
By Sandra Baker and Andrea Jares
Star-Telegram Staff Writers
The investor group that bought the historic 16-story Sinclair Building at 512 Main St. in September has also acquired the historic former Hogan Office Supply Co. building, 901 Houston St.

The investors, Richard and Allyson Baumeister and Ken Jaffe of Swearingen Realty Group, added Adam Smith of Mansfield to buy the three-story, 31,000-square-foot turn-of-the-century building from investors Shirlee and Taylor Gandy. The building houses a FedEx Kinko's copy and printing shop on the ground floor. The deal closed in late March.

The Gandys bought the building in 1997 but never renovated the vacant upper two floors or the basement.

Richard Baumeister said the group is evaluating its options but is considering converting the empty floors into office space or condos.

"It's a beautiful building in a wonderful location," he said.

The building, on the southeast corner of Ninth and Houston streets, is a block north of the Fort Worth Convention Center and the Omni hotel under construction.

It was leased at one time to S.H. Kress Co. and McCrory's Variety Store, according to fortwortharchitecture.com.

--

Kara B.

#2 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

They started ripping some of the facade off the Hogan building today.  There is a lot of construction prep activity around the building right now.

8344789342_9b982dff8c.jpg
Just FedEx it to me by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#3 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

Wow. It took almost a full 6 years to do something with this after the purchase... 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

There has been a little flyer posted in the window on the North side for a while with a rendering.

#5 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

There has been a little flyer posted in the window on the North side for a while with a rendering.

I tried posting it, but wasn't allowed. 

7fwPZnE.png

#6 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Are you all talking about this rendering?
shelton-rendering.jpg

I took a picture of this on the building right after the DDRB decision to allow the facade changes. By the way, there are at least 3 or 4 threads on this building in the forum. Maybe, I should merge them.

#7 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

That's it. 

Can't wait to see it.

Edited by John T Roberts, 04 January 2013 - 08:53 PM.
Removed Quote of Photograph and Previous Comment - No need to make this nearly a double post.

7fwPZnE.png

#8 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Well people of the forum, my sources tell me. hahahaha... just kidding. Fort Worth gov website states that the remodling for this building has begun http://fortworthtexa....aspx?id=106730

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

^You're sources are a bit slow considering Dave told us that 15 days ago :P

I Like the rendering, it's a sharp looking building for sure. But, I don't really understand it either, because as was, the building looked pretty nice. I wonder why they just didn't paint and power wash it and add a few little details like the moulding at the top, the lights between the windows, and the awnings. 

I also wonder if the side facing the square will get any love somehow.

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

The side facing the square will probably get a coat of paint.  That's where the original 1900 and 1910 brick is exposed.  At the current time, that brick is painted to match the color of the stucco on the street sides of the building.

#11 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Right now, the building is covered in scaffolding and wrapped in plastic.  There are signs indicating that there is asbestos being abated.  So, right now, it looks like a big plastic cube...should've taken a picture of it this week.  Maybe next week.

#12 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

^You're sources are a bit slow considering Dave told us that 15 days ago :P

Are you serious? I declare I need to start reading this forum more closely, geeez.

Anyway I think this building will look nice when done.

#13 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

And, poor ole FedEx has a sign up stating that they are still open, but I'm sure they are losing business because the front door is hidden somewhere in the scaffolding.

#14 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hopefully they'll benefit from the facelift.
My blog: Doohickie

#15 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

Here is the bubble-wrapped Hogan building as of yesterday:

8408357776_b84d35e8bb.jpg
Bubblewrapping buildings by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#16 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

It now has an interesting look. 

#17 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

Here is a recent shot of the building:

8727796598_3a0e5ede84.jpg
She'll be good as new in no time by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#18 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

They are putting windows and frames in the building now.

#19 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

Actually, just the frames are in.  They had some windows in at my last post, but they've pulled them out since then.  One thing that seems strange to me - and maybe I'm just not up on the latest trends in construction - is that they appear to be using styrofoam pieces as the decorative elements all over the building.  I saw them putting them in at the base of the windows last month and this week they've put styrofoam pieces all along the upper edge of the building.  Those pieces are now being covered with gray cement or stucco material.  I guess it'll look really nice regardless, but I had pictured them using something different.  If you click on my picture below and zoom in (also at https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/), you can see what I'm talking about...I think you can also see two bags, tied to the scaffolding, with extra pieces of styrofoam.

9103832823_7e67e1f20d_z.jpg
DSC_4969 by dangr.dave, on Flickr

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

This seems to be going a lot slower than I thought it would. 

7fwPZnE.png

#21 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

I know.  I think one of the signs on the building says something like "Coming Spring 2013".  If you scroll up and read the earlier messages on this topic, it looks like they started taking off the old facade back in January.  So, six months and counting to re-do the exterior.  At this rate, Sundance Square will be finished before the Hogan Building is done.

#22 bg-raves

bg-raves

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:riding my bike, construction

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:44 PM

Actually, just the frames are in.  They had some windows in at my last post, but they've pulled them out since then.  One thing that seems strange to me - and maybe I'm just not up on the latest trends in construction - is that they appear to be using styrofoam pieces as the decorative elements all over the building.  I saw them putting them in at the base of the windows last month and this week they've put styrofoam pieces all along the upper edge of the building.  Those pieces are now being covered with gray cement or stucco material.  I guess it'll look really nice regardless, but I had pictured them using something different.  If you click on my picture below and zoom in (also at https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/), you can see what I'm talking about...I think you can also see two bags, tied to the scaffolding, with extra pieces of styrofoam.

what you are describing sounds like EIFS to me.  seems to be pretty common around here.   if not i am certainly interested in what this system is and what loads are transferred to the structure/foundations.  thanks,

bg

#23 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

The system with Styrofoam as a backup is EIFS.  The Palace Theater and the Fort Worth Public Library are EIFS.  I'm always interested in seeing these old buildings being rehabbed, but so much of the time when I was looking at it, the building was covered up in some form or fashion.

#24 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

I can always tell when they've put some new material up in the mornings when I walk by on my way to get coffee at the 4-Star because there will be really small styrofoam pieces blowing all over the street.

#25 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

About half the windows were in as of this morning.

#26 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

I just walked by the Hogan Building and I saw that they were "bricking" up the bottom part of the exterior.  I could see the bricks on the wall and could see and hear some guys working, but I couldn't see any actual stacks of bricks on the scaffolding.  Took a closer look and noticed that they are using thin brick tiles on the exterior, which explains a lot.  The rendering shows a red bricked building, but right now everything from the second floor up is stucco.  I was previously puzzled (don't worry, I didn't lose any sleep over it) about whether they had made some changes since the rendering, but now with the understanding that they are just adorning the facade of the buidling with brick tiles all my questions have been answered.  And, I guess the tiles, being a lot lighter than actual brick, would put a lot less of a load on the EIFS system, which appears to be the primary thing covering the exterior of the building currently.  I guess the exterior work should go pretty quickly now.

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

So, how many facades are on this building now?  Did they ever remove the 1937 stucco covering of the original brick?

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

The artist rendition looks a bit better than the nearly final result.  That giant wall on 8th looks incredibly awkward, and not exactly  pleasing to the pedestrian either. The parapet area above the moulding looks a bit odd to. 

9666685375_e96848a4df_b.jpg
DSC_0039 by Micro55, on Flickr

#29 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

The artist rendition looks a bit better than the nearly final result.  That giant wall on 8th looks incredibly awkward, and not exactly  pleasing to the pedestrian either. The parapet area above the moulding looks a bit odd to. 

9666685375_e96848a4df_b.jpg
DSC_0039 by Micro55, on Flickr

Can't always get what ya want, I guess... 

7fwPZnE.png

#30 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, the blank wall on the side is super unfortunate.  (The new City Place garage also suffers from it on the back side.)

--

Kara B.

#31 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

Anybody have some spare pocket change for a mural or vintage brick wall advertising?

#32 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Anybody have some spare pocket change for a mural or vintage brick wall advertising?

That would be better than nothing!

Yeah, the blank wall on the side is super unfortunate.  (The new City Place garage also suffers from it on the back side.)

If I could go off this tangent for a second, some of FW's streets definitely feel as if they were designed purely from a logistics and utilitarian standpoint. Taylor Street as a whole sure feels like it. In the case of CP, it doesn't bother me to much. Across the street, you have nothing. A big superblock which ignores the sidewalk. It isn't really cutting anything off from downtown except maybe hunter Plaza, but they can use the 2nd street pedestrian path. 

5th street behind Bass hall and 6th behind the parking garage face this issue pretty badly to. 

Hogan's blank wall really bothers me because I think it could have been a catalyst for more renovation, and that the street which is there is quite bad to walk down. Del Frisco's is a wall (albeit better now with the balcony) Four Star coffee's building is mostly wall along that stretch. The street could have served as a nice gateway between Houston st. and points of interest on Main, like GW square and the JFK memorial. 

#33 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Oh, I don't think it looks that bad.  The streetscape opens up quite a bit because of the park so you don't get that narrow alley feel that can be so uninviting.  most buildings can't face every direction simulaneously.  Sixth street has very little facing it almost its entire length downtown because most of the businesses face the North/South streets.  Seventh isn't much better.

#34 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

If you go back and look at the photograph that Brian Luenser posted over in the building's other thread in Historic Buildings and Preservation, after the 1910 3rd floor addition, it didn't have any storefront windows on the 8th Street side.  It did have high windows along that facade.

http://www.fortworth...4928#entry71943

The original renderings show new storefront on 8th Street, but due to all of the previous remodelings of the building, it may not have been possible to put windows along that side. 

#35 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Nah it's not really bothersome to me, just wasn't what I was expecting. I can understand there was something probably in the way.

Pretty much all of downtowns east-west streets aren't quite as nice as the north-south ones.

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

All of you are correct in your observations about blank walls.  Unfortunately, all buildings must have a back side.  Some of those items can be tucked into the alleyways, if they are present, but if they are not, then all or part of a street front has to be used for back of the house functions.  If you look at old photographs of Century Plaza (see Reynolds Building thread on this forum), you can see that it had a few windows close to Houston Street, then a couple of bays at the end near the alley where the office building entrance is located.  Between them, there were high windows like the Shelton (Hogan) Building once had.  Yes, Del Frisco's is lacking windows.  At one time, it had them, but also at one time, it was a seven story building.

#37 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Add a decorative awning, more lighting, public seating and some interesting street vegetation; it could be nice.

#38 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

That building looks top heavy. I liked the all-brick plans better.

-Dylan

#39 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

From what I have been told, the end result of the new façade of the Shelton Building has been due to existing conditions.  I was told that the owners and architects expected the original façade to be behind the 1937 Art Deco Remodeling.  The removed the stucco and plaster and the original wall had been removed.  This created the situation where they had to rebuild the façade from scratch and they chose EIFS and stick on brick.

To be honest with all of you, I almost think that restoring the façade that was previously on the building might have looked better.

#40 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

From what I have been told, the end result of the new façade of the Shelton Building has been due to existing conditions.  I was told that the owners and architects expected the original façade to be behind the 1937 Art Deco Remodeling.  The removed the stucco and plaster and the original wall had been removed.  This created the situation where they had to rebuild the façade from scratch and they chose EIFS and stick on brick.

To be honest with all of you, I almost think that restoring the façade that was previously on the building might have looked better.

The Deco facade?  I agree - if they couldn't recreate something like the original renderings, then I'd have preferred a full restoration of the '30s Deco facade.  It'd be preferable to fake stucco recreations of brick & stone designs.

--

Kara B.

#41 dfwerdoc

dfwerdoc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:hockey, cars, architecture, photography, everything and anything apple, medicine.

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

walked up to the building and what  a shame what they've done with the facade ....it's efis: bland and boring. 

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

I agree, I'll bet someone's not to happy spent so much money and time on such a mediocre result.

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Kevin, yes I was referring to restoring the Art Deco façade.  I completely agree with your statements.  After all, the Art Deco remodel was old enough to qualify as a historic remodeling.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I looked inside the building this morning and the columns on the first floor are cast iron.  This makes sense because around 1900, when the building's first two floors were constructed, steel was in its infancy in Fort Worth.  The columns are round and they are decorative.

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

Sign on the south side of the building says "The Brass Tap, Coming Soon. Craft Beer, Fine Wine, Live Music"

Brass Tap website

#46 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'm tellin' ya, Houston Street has potential.  

... then again, I can say that about all of downtown and "the Core Hoods". 

7fwPZnE.png

#47 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm tellin' ya, Houston Street has potential.  

... then again, I can say that about all of downtown and "the Core Hoods". 

The discovery or recognition of Fort Worth as a market-entry destination for companies entering North Texas for the first time is a very encouraging trend that has not happen often in the past.

Fort Worth over everyone.

#48 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

There are already several bars on that strip. Maybe it's DTFW's 6th Street?
My blog: Doohickie

#49 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Maybe so, if that's what we're after.  You know, maybe we're setting ourselves up to be like the French Quarter.  The Galleries and Antique shops are on Royal, the bars and clubs are on Bourbon, the... uhhh...  alternative entertainment is more or less on another street, and the museums and attractions are mostly near Jackson Square.

We've got steakhouses and fine dining on Main St., bars and clubs on Houston St., retail at Sundance Square.  I don't know the extent to which you can program tha and how much of it occurs naturally, but it's interesting (probably defined mostly by rents).

#50 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

Maybe so, if that's what we're after.  You know, maybe we're setting ourselves up to be like the French Quarter.  The Galleries and Antique shops are on Royal, the bars and clubs are on Bourbon, the... uhhh...  alternative entertainment is more or less on another street, and the museums and attractions are mostly near Jackson Square.

We've got steakhouses and fine dining on Main St., bars and clubs on Houston St., retail at Sundance Square.  I don't know the extent to which you can program tha and how much of it occurs naturally, but it's interesting (probably defined mostly by rents).

I'm thinking this:

- Main = Restaurants 
- Houston = Bars 

- Taylor = "alternative entertainment" and clubs 

- Lancaster = Shopping? 

- Commerce = Music/Theatre 

I guess Throckmorton could become a mix with important places like banks and stores. Galleries are already sprinkled around downtown, We have our family friendly district in Sundance. 

7fwPZnE.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Historic Buildings, Art Deco, Remodeling, Preservation, Kress, McCrorys, Shelton Building, Ben Hogan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users