293 replies to this topic

#151 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

They need to get a new stock photo for the bike share though.  Brian moved to Chicago a year ago.

ECObikeshareridership.jpg

My blog: Doohickie

#152 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

They posted on FB that 2016 had 55,841 rides and 286,149 miles ridden. That's what, 33% more rides this year?  

#153 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:52 AM

Absolutely appalled that during the Stock Show, the Bcycle system shuts down the station closest to the SS. This apparently is done at the request (demand?) of SS management. I suppose they want to assure that no one gets into the Show without the paid parking extortion. IMO this is precisely the event where alternative transportation like Bcycle should be encouraged.

From the B-Cycle Newsletter:

At the request of the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo, the Gendy and Lansford station will be closed beginning Friday, January 13th and will reopen Sunday, February 5th.

#154 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:58 AM

Their thought process is probably more along the lines of lots of traffic in the area, both motor and pedestrian, and they would prefer not to deal with people not from the area creating more traffic confusion on bikes.

#155 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

The same station is open during the Cowtown marathon weekend, with many times more pedestrians in the area (and within a few dozen yards of the finish line), and no problems. In fact it's the best way to get to/from the Cowtown Marathon.

#156 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:13 AM

The same station is open during the Cowtown marathon weekend, with many times more pedestrians in the area (and within a few dozen yards of the finish line), and no problems. In fact it's the best way to get to/from the Cowtown Marathon.

I don't see the marathon attracting a whole lot of articulated livestock trailers and other large vehicles driven by people who don't live in the city.

#157 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

None of which are in any proximity to the station that is being closed. This station is directly adjacent to the beloved City built parking garage, which during the SS generates 100% of it's revenue exclusively for the SS. If we wish to protect bikers from livestock trailers and the like, best to shut down the stations in Trinity Park.

#158 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

IMO this is precisely the event where alternative transportation like Bcycle should be encouraged.

You've obviously never tried to ride a bike wearing cowboy boots.

#159 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

None of which are in any proximity to the station that is being closed. This station is directly adjacent to the beloved City built parking garage, which during the SS generates 100% of it's revenue exclusively for the SS. If we wish to protect bikers from livestock trailers and the like, best to shut down the stations in Trinity Park.

I'm not saying I agree with the reasoning, just speculating what their reasoning is.

#160 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

I asked about this on Facebook and they said it's got to do with horses.

edit - The official response 

Any area that is open to horse traffic is closed to bicycles and skateboards during the stock show.

#161 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

Huh?  Are they using the B-cycle stands as hitching posts?  And are they taking measures to keep non-rental bicycles out for safety reasons?

#162 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

Any area that is open to horse traffic is closed to bicycles and skateboards during the stock show.

So I guess the entirety of Trinity Park and the Trinity Trails is now closed to bicycles?

This is a public street that goes North/South between the Science Museum and the WRMC parking lots.

BS excuse IMHO.

• JBB likes this

#163 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

I was at the stock show on Monday, and Gendy St. was closed to normal traffic.  We paid to get into the show in the little space between the Science Museum and the National Cow Girl Museum, and once we passed though there, we were "inside."  Looks to me like if they kept that B-Cycle station open, then people would have to bring the bikes through one of the entrances to the stock show.

#164 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

The age old civil war waged by equines against the horseless carriage or similar (etal bicycles).

"The horses win; daaahhhh horses win!

#165 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

Actually, you are historically correct.  The bicycle rivaled the horse long before the invention of the horseless carriage.  I believe as far back as 1817.  But bicycling was mainly an urban form of transportation for "dandies."

I don't know why everyone is making such a fuss over the closing of two bike-sharing stations.  Heck, there are a whole lot of other area stations available in and around downtown and the Trails.  In  answer to the question in Post#162, the Trails are still open.

#166 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

I've seen a similar concern in D.C. right now where many bike share stations are closing due to the inauguration. 

#167 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

I don't know why everyone is making such a fuss over the closing of two bike-sharing stations.  Heck, there are a whole lot of other area stations available in and around downtown and the Trails.  In  answer to the question in Post#162, the Trails are still open.

Because our elected officials like to talk about transportation alternatives, but then when there's a 3 week long event that's a known pain-in-the-... to park at, we close down the closest best way to get there!

Look at those brand new equestrian barns and where they are located and tell me this has anything at all to do with horses. This is about revenue.

#168 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

This wonderful FW Magazine article talks a bit about two new potential ideas for bike sharing in FW. Smart bikes, which don't require stations (perhaps similar to MoBike in China), and bikes with electric assist motors.

#169 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:21 AM

Vbikes invade Fort Worth: 

http://www.star-tele...e156950244.html

But it's not all goodness and light:

https://www.citylab....utm_source=SFFB

#170 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

A friend tried out one of the bikes and he said it was pretty awful.  They have features meant to reduce maintenance (such as air-less tires) that hamper ride quality.  And it's not much of a deal over B-Cycle, especially since you have to put a $99 deposit down, and they keep the deposit unless you request it be returned (the idea is that they keep the deposit in anticipation that you'll continue to use the bike service).

#171 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:30 AM

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. For a fledgling bike share system like B-cycle in Fort Worth (that still hasn't been able to attract a presenting sponsor) this sort of competition/confusion is needed like a hole in the head.

#172 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

But are they guaranteed an exclusive franchise for Fort Worth?  Or should the free market be encouraged?

#173 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

Who is the "they" in your question?

#174 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:05 PM

I don't disagree with that assessment at all. For a fledgling bike share system like B-cycle in Fort Worth (that still hasn't been able to attract a presenting sponsor) this sort of competition/confusion is needed like a hole in the head.

"They" is B Cycle (as mentioned by Volare).

#175 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Fort Worth Bike Sharing (non-profit) I presume does have an exclusive B-cycle franchise for Fort Worth. But of course that doesn't preclude other models from showing up. The article that I linked first in post 169 talks about some of the drawbacks of these venture capital based sharing systems. I've been to some cities in China that have 4-5 of these systems competing (each has bikes of a different color) and I can't say that the increased competition has improved the service there.

#176 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

...but they don't have some exclusive franchise with the City of Ft Worth for bike sharing (as far as I know).

They do, I think, have an established brand and a dedicated following.  From what I read and hear about VBike, I just don't see them as being competitive against BCycle.

. To start, they have only 6 bicycles.

. The ride quality of their bicycles is poor (per reports, I don't know this personally).

. It's difficult to plan/depend on them because they don't have fixed locations like BCycle.

. Based on the picture in the article, they don't have baskets which may be a problem for some users.

They may establish some niche for themselves, but I don't see them hurting BCycle too much.

#177 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 05:11 PM

ST article on dockless bike share

http://www.star-tele...e190067239.html

I really like our system, there's always a bike where I expect there to be a bike. 

#178 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:55 PM

B-Cycle has been teasing electric bikes again.

#179 M2guy

M2guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 06:06 PM

B-Cycle has been teasing electric bikes again.

I think it would be great! I like the fact that they arent all over the city like the limebikes etc. excited for electric since riding the electric scooters in San Diego

#180 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 07:27 AM

Electric scooters may be coming to town soon, too. https://www.star-tel...e219688830.html My friends in other cities swear by them for getting around without a car.

#181 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

Electric scooters may be coming to town soon, too. https://www.star-tel...e219688830.html My friends in other cities swear by them for getting around without a car.

I'm really excited about this prospect. I've yet to ride one, but seen them around. For .5-3 mile trips they seem really handy. And if we don't get them, life just goes on.

#182 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:08 AM

I test rode an electric assist Bbike this morning. They are a lot of fun. You get up to speed in just a couple of pedal cranks. I just did a lap of city hall but im really curious how they do on hills.

They said they expect 50 of them in the fleet in Mid April.

You can test one until noon today at City Hall.

#183 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

I test rode an electric assist Bbike this morning. They are a lot of fun. You get up to speed in just a couple of pedal cranks. I just did a lap of city hall but im really curious how they do on hills.

They said they expect 50 of them in the fleet in Mid April.

You can test one until noon today at City Hall.

do they limit how "far" you can go on your test ride? would be interesting to try riding up the hill on N Taylor from Ripley Arnold Plaza up to W Belknap.

(oh how I wish I worked downtown!)

#184 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:10 PM

I didn't ask but also didn't want to stray too far.

#185 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

in 2017 they had 59,280 trips, but that seemed to have dipped to 43,236 trips this year.

#186 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

in 2017 they had 59,280 trips, but that seemed to have dipped to 43,236 trips this year.

Maybe some of the dip can be attributed to 2018 practically being the rainiest/wettest year on record?

#187 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:20 PM

Maybe some of the dip can be attributed to 2018 practically being the rainiest/wettest year on record?

Probably right. The Trinity Trail has been very obstructed by high water at the low water crossings for a ridiculous amount of time.

#188 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

I'm sure that has had something to do with it.  Volare, the high water has been an issue, but at least on the Clear Fork Section of the trail, I can very easily navigate around the low water crossings and ride basically where I want to ride by using alternate low traffic routes, or gravel sections of trail.

#189 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:37 PM

My understanding is that the pedestrian advisory moved to continue not allowing dockless Bikeshare companies in FW (and allow Bbike to be the monopoly) but would like to pilot a dockless electric scooter program.

What does everyone think?

#190 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

Well considering the 30,000 dockless bikes that have vanished from Dallas are presumably in a landfill somewhere I guess we can be glad we missed that fad. Of course the latest fad is the electric scooters.

I understand b cycle is working on both electric and dockless additions to the system.

#191 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:48 PM

It would be nice if BCycle were to lower their prices a bit. Bike sharing is $1 an hour in Dallas. It's $8 minimum here (assuming you reset every hour).

But, I guess BCycle can get away with charging more since it's a monopoly.

-Dylan

#192 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

Yeh if you're planning on using it much, the year pass is the way to go. It's cheaper to buy 4 bus passes!

#193 McHand

McHand

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:music, neighborhoods, kids, education, biking, politics, urbanism, food, friends, family

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

My understanding is that the pedestrian advisory moved to continue not allowing dockless Bikeshare companies in FW (and allow Bbike to be the monopoly) but would like to pilot a dockless electric scooter program.

What does everyone think?

I used B-Cycle and Lime scooters, in addition to walking, on my recent stay in downtown San Antonio. Their are advantages to both. The scooters are smaller and fairly unobtrusive, but you can go further and faster with bikes. I didnt see a lot of people using dockless bikes, and frankly, they were in the way.

B-Cycle should increase the locations of docks in town. I think they would see ridership increase.

I think dockless scooters on streets like Magnolia & South Main would have a traffic slowing effect, if people can mindful to ride in the street and not the sidewalk.

Voice & Guitars in Big Heaven
Elementary Music Specialist, FWISD

Texas Wesleyan 2015
Shaw-Clarke NA Alumna

#194 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:12 PM

B-Cycle should increase the locations of docks in town. I think they would see ridership increase....

They would love to, but they don't have the $$ for it. They have been unable since inception to attract a presenting sponsor like other large and growing systems.

#195 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Thier Ebikes are in!

https://m.facebook.c...203952509713939

#196 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

I rode one of the ebikes this weekend again (first did at city hall, but was just a short distance). Started at the big Farrington parking lot and rode to the Will Rogers ticket booth during Fortress Fest. They re a blast! It's very easy to cruise along at over 10 mph even going up a decent sized hill. These will be a hit I think.

#197 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:12 PM

If only the cost to rent a bike were lower. $8 is a bit pricey.

In the meantime, if I want to ride a bike in this city, I'll ride my own.

-Dylan

#198 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:52 AM

I have used the bike sharing a little bit when it first started, but I since I own two bikes, I prefer just to ride my own.

#199 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I don't think it's a big secret that avid cyclists and bike owners aren't the top target demographic for bike sharing programs.

#200 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,693 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

Checked one of the ebikes to actually ride around freely today, they are great and very easy to ride. Only issue is I'd recommend turning them on before you check out, the first one I unlocked had a low battery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users