Typcial Residential Lot Width

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 longhornz32

longhornz32

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Architect, photography, woodworking, jazz, guitar/bass/saxophone, sculpture.

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

Is there anywhere I can go to find an average residential lot width for Fort Worth? I have searched TAD but I couldn't really find specific measurements. I'd like to know the average for new construction vs. older but anything will help.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Hambone

Hambone

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Is there anywhere I can go to find an average residential lot width for Fort Worth? I have searched TAD but I couldn't really find specific measurements. I'd like to know the average for new construction vs. older but anything will help.

Thanks in advance.

Most pre-WW2 lots are 50'x140'. Newer lots are usually wider but can vary.

#3 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

I would guess that about 65-75% of the residential lots in Fort Worth have a width of 50'. This was the minimum width for all single family residential property for many years, and is still the minimum for the least restrictive single family zoning category in the city. I am also including in that estimate most of Arlington Heights and the near southside. A lot of homes in those areas are technically on two lots. However, those homes typically sit on two 25' wide lots for a total width of 50'. Obviously larger homes in places like Ridglea, Tanglewood, Overton Park etc. sit on lots much wider than 50'. Based on about 25 years of surveying property in Fort Worth, my guess is that if you could find the data to average it out, you would find the average residential lot width to be about 55 feet.

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Agreed; most lots are 50-60' wide.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 06:25 AM

Among the nation's largest cities, Fort Worth ranks 10th in average lot size, 7,096 sqft. We also rank fifth in average house size, 1,692 sqft. https://www.storagec...gest-us-cities/

#6 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 02 August 2021 - 08:06 AM

A close relative of mine lives in Seattle and owns a bigger corner lot in Wedgwood with the original 1920's home and a decent sized backyard by Seattle standards.  The neighbors tore down the original house and built a larger modern style home that encompasses almost the entire lot with built space either indoor or outdoor so there's zero room for their kids to play.  I asked him why the neighbor kid was always staring out the window overlooking their house and he said that he's waiting for his daughters to go outside and play so that he can join them.  

New 80% Rule and Neighborhood Impact 
The city benefits from the proposed 80% Rule because it allows infill housing in a predictable manner for both neighbors and homebuilders. Most neighborhoods have irregular but generally consistent lot sizes. For example, take this block of lots zoned Single Family 5000. Lots in this neighborhood require a minimum lot size of 5000 feet, but the existing lots are much smaller. The average lot size of all the lots facing one street is 3,893 square feet while the smallest lot on the block is 2,300 square feet. The proposed 80% Rule would allow a house to be built on a lot that is 3,114 square feet, or about 700 square feet less than the average lot.  Because the lot is smaller than 3750 square feet, the new standards would impose a height restriction of 25 feet to insure that the new house would be in character with the surrounding conditions.

Block-Face-Diagram-300x218.jpg

#7 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 12:11 PM

If you're looking for a more accurate answer, I read in the TCU magazine recently about the TCU Urban Studies department and some of the work they do.  Is really cool. 

Think others have posted some of their work on the Forum in years past.  You might reach out to a member of faculty or staff to find out if they have somoene who could help.

https://urbanstudies.tcu.edu/

#8 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 04 March 2023 - 10:08 AM

Wasnt sure where to put this article but S-T is reporting on residential demolition for new construction. Pretty nice permit map too:

https://www.star-tel...=mainstage_lead

SAVmtnv.jpg

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,369 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 March 2023 - 06:10 PM

The link to the article has also been posted on the "Are Current Homebuyers INSANE?" thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users