66 replies to this topic

#51 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 03:11 PM

It [the Fort Worth skyline] seems so dark from the highway. Not very inviting at all. You can't even tell that anything's going on there. Drives me crazy.

I was driving in to Fort Worth from a trip I took south of the city one night a few weeks ago and went through the interchange and on to the West Freeway towards home. One thing struck me big time: The Pier One building was incredible - it stood out like a shining beacon. The lighting scheme on that one building singlehandedly outclassed the entire big city skyline located a few blocks away. Something definitely needs to be done because Pier One is only underscoring how bland our city's skyline looks at night. (And to certain mentalities that I know exist in this world.... no, the solution is NOT to turn off Pier One's lights out of "fairness" to the rest of the skyline.)

View Post

I second that. The Pier 1 building's design and lighting scheme are both brilliant in my opinion. I think John mentioned in an earlier post that the Commerce building could benefit from an uplighting scheme like that of the FW Club. What a great idea. Its top really does deserve greater emphasis at night. Surely with today's modern light bulbs this illumination can be achieved with minimal additional operating expense. In fact, I would bet that some modern flood lighting (for uplighting or otherwise) would be cheaper than the current strings of lights.

#52 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 11:58 AM

I think John mentioned in an earlier post that the Commerce building could benefit from an uplighting scheme like that of the FW Club.  What a great idea.  Its top really does deserve greater emphasis at night.  Surely with today's modern light bulbs this illumination can be achieved with minimal additional operating expense.  In fact, I would bet that some modern flood lighting (for uplighting or otherwise) would be cheaper than the current strings of lights.

View Post

Not to sound like a hippie (I'm more of a redneck, really), but lights that shine downwards instead of upwards SIGNIFICANTLY increase our ability to see the stars in the city. Then again, all the light pollution and the general layer of smog can make it surprisingly easy to see when I'm on Lake Ray Roberts at night :lol:

#53 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 December 2004 - 12:50 PM

Lights shining down from the top of the Commerce Building would work just as well.

#54 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:31 AM

I'm with Arch. Lighting should as best as possible be directed downwardly so as not to create celestial light pollution and to maximize street level impact. This is possible with reasonably agreeable effects while providing at best short term investment compared to the longer-term costs of otherwise providing less efficient and unintegrated street lighting while bleeding light uselessly upward into the ether.

#55 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 09:22 PM

Norfolk, Virginia outlines their skyline in lights. C. Troy Mathis of Dallasmetropolis.com, and a member of our forum, took this picture recently. These lights are done in the old fashioned style of incandescent light bulbs on strings or built into the buildings.
Posted Image

#56 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 01:20 AM

Maybe once FW has a major water feature on the edge of downtown (aka Trinity River Lake) the businesses in the CBD will all feel their civic duty to light up our skyline with similar lightts again. I love the way the light reflects off that water in Norfolk VA! What a great little skyline!

#57 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:02 AM

Point the lights down as long as travelers can see them from the highways. Or even while approaching dallas-Fort Worth International Airport from the Acton or Bridgeport VOR's. (Or haven't those changed to Glenrose and Bowie now?) Anyway, make a statement.

One problem, though, is that the people who would be paying for the finacial cost of the installation, mantenance, and electricity wouldn't be receiving any financial benefit. Sort of a disincentive for them.

Also, how big a role does haze or air pollution play in our ability to see celestial objects? Even with reduced light pollution, it's not going to look like the West Texas sky.

#58 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:17 PM

OK, so I know the Burnett building is being "relit" with new string lights. But I thought it was supposed to be completed by now. And, what's up with the Carter/Burgess building's lights? I drove by downtown Friday night and I was shocked at how bad the building looked at night. There are entire strands of lights on the western side of the building that were not working, and big holes in the sections of lights that were working. Then I notieced some of the smaller, older buildings in the area of the Transport Life building that only had a small section of working striing-lights going up one side and a few along the roof line. I was embarassed for FW for the way these buildings look. At least the smaller building (sorry, I don't know the name of it) is at least hidden by buildings to the East and West. However, it's visible from I-30, which is unfortunately the only way people "passing through" see downtown... This is certainly not going to make anyone want to stop or come back.

So, is there any news on any plans to fix the lights on any of the other buildings besides Burnett? And, is Burnett still being fixed? It's going to be pretty sad if Carter Burgess - one of the city's largest towers - remains to looks so run down at night.

Has anyone seen the lighting plans for the new T&P Condo's? I've always thought that some sort of art-deco lighting would be great along the top of that building and the T&P Warehouse. And, the old Post office desperately needs to have all those beautiful columns lit up at night.

#59 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

The purpose of the repairs at Burnett Plaza was not to replace the lights, although they are going to do that in addition to the cleaning of the building. As far as I can tell, they are still working on it.

I don't understand what has happened at Carter+Burgess Plaza. Those lights are built in and shouldn't have some of the problems that they are having. The other buildings that are operating with only partially lit strings are really embarassing to the city. If only 33% of the bulbs are burning, then they should be turned off. I think this is a very clear sign that our "Christmas tradition" is dead.

The Tower will have an all new illumination scheme with the lights on the balconies highlighting the facade and the new crown will be illuminated when it is finished. Maybe with that and Pier 1, other building owners will realize they need to do something to add to our skyline at night.

#60 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 20 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

Maybe with that and Pier 1, other building owners will realize they need to do something to add to our skyline at night.

Commerce Building. B)

#61 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:40 PM

Jonny, remember I've tried. I have a contact there and mentioned that they should do some lighting highlighting the decorative top of the building and they stated that lighting the building was not in their plans.

#62 Schneider

Schneider

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:00 AM

I noticed that the lights on the Burnett building were back on last night.

#63 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

I noticed that the lights on the Burnett building were back on last night.

View Post

It's about time!

#64 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm reviving an old thread. 

Bud Kennedy has offered an update to the articles he has written about outlining the skyline in yellow lights for Christmas.  Merry Christmas!

http://www.star-tele...e189849994.html

#65 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Are the City Center Towers (Bass Towers) changing their outline lights to brighter LEDs ?
Tonight, I noticed the lights on the East facing at the top of one of the towers were brighter than the other lights.

#66 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:32 PM

It appears that is the case.  Before the trees leafed out, I could see the new lights from my front yard.

#67 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:51 PM

Bud Kennedy has updated his articles on the outlining of our Downtown buildings at Christmas.  This is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

https://www.star-tel...e189849994.html

The Fort Worth Weekly also has an article on outlining our buildings in lights from this week.  This article is by Jeff Prince.

https://www.fwweekly...kyline-of-yore/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users