109 replies to this topic

#101 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

"The foreclosure is not a setback to the momentum of downtown residential development, said Andy Taft, president of Downtown Fort Worth Inc., a nonprofit advocacy organization that has supported marketing efforts to bring urban living to the city’s core. "

Sure hope Mr. Taft is correct. I live just a couple of blocks north of Villa De Leon and the as still uncompleted Lincoln Park Apartments which are due to come online in October. Wonder what impact this might also have on the West 7th corridor developments? Let's hope this is just a minor hiccup and does not signify the beginning of the end of downtown residential development. I do think the location of Le Bijou is somewhat awkward in relation to the downtown and, despite premium prices, few see it as a premium location with all the busy traffic nearby going into and out of downtown. Bet the bargain hunters are already lining up to buy the discounted condo units from the bank.

On a brighter note, the Trinity Campus of TCC reports a much better than expected enrollment for the Fall. Of course, with few exceptions, TCC students would not be able to afford any of the downtown residential venues but perhaps some of the teachers and faculty could. It will be interesting to see what develops from the demise of this smaller project-either an isolated incident or the true start of a declining trend. Nationally, most economic signs are increasingly positive, but downtown Fort Worth has its own little niche residential market.

#102 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

I think they're amazing on the inside and I don't care where you live downtown, if you look hard enough you can find someone doing something a bit off color almost any time of the day.

The only thing I could fault them on was their size for the location, most that would need that amount of space would probably be more interested in a yard, parks, schools. I always thought the ultimate unit size for that location would be 800 to 1500 square feet, maybe some even smaller. Would give the crowd that's really into the arts or going out for a weekend blast a place to spend the weekend or overnight for special events, and yuppies working downtown a good option for a single residence.

Over all I think it was just unlucky timing with people curbing their plans to trade up or for a second place due to an uncertain economy.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#103 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Le Bijou's failure has not an iota of impact on a lot of other developments - the Lofts at West 7th, to use an example from above, are doing very well, from what I've heard, and of course they're seeing such demand that they're going to build another 100 units. I have a feeling that Lincoln Park on the bluff will do similarly well. Pretty much everything else in Downtown has done well. Le Bijou was an extremely pricey development in a weird location - the east side of downtown could stand a bunch of infill lofts & apartments of a more affordable nature, in styles similar to the old warehouse architecture that used to be there. After it becomes more of an actual district, rather than one development in a sea of parking lots, then there'd be some demand for some über-posh Schaumburg townhomes.

The economy's in the tank, and the 'burbs aren't doing so hot either. This is in no way the "end" of Downtown residential development - there will be ups, and downs, but the trend of people relocating to central city areas will be with us for a long time. There is a shift in attitudes and more people will choose central city living in the years to come.

The economy's hurt *everything*, not just Downtown. I think what we will see is some more affordable stuff get built, instead of $1 million townhomes. Which is a good thing.

--

Kara B.

#104 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

Nice places. Im sure they are out of my league though.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#105 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (1849 @ Sep 16 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I wouldn't buy one for $500k. It's all about location and that location LeBlows. Who would pay that to wake to the sunrise and a view of a hobo taking a pee? Come on, this ain't New York City.

rotflmao.gif

#106 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (1849 @ Sep 16 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard they are going to restructure it into another foreclosure in about 10 months. I wouldn't buy one for $500k. It's all about location and that location LeBlows. Who would pay that to wake to the sunrise and a view of a hobo taking a pee? Come on, this ain't New York City.

I just read this and it had me rollin. I never see humor on this sight. (maybe because I skim through most of the thread) Its true. Im sure that is the view.
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#107 mbdalton1

mbdalton1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

The lack of hip, urban style and no true amenities turns me off on this project....sadly.

#108 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

Walking around Le Bijou on Saturday. Mostly empty of course. I think mostly in foreclosures. (I see foreclosures on my favorite real estate web site).

I like the place. I like the looks of it. I love the units themselves. (Have been in all but one) Considered buying there in between my 4 Tower condos. But a few things always turned me off. A. Fringes of downtown. B. Used to a better view of Downtown, Dallas etc... C. Nervous about the foreclosure situation. D. Neighbors.

But great value now. They are way worth what they are currently selling for. Cheap. I believe they are very high quality homes.

Everybody has the things they are looking for in a new home. Many times they are different than the next guy. Me for example. My number 1 issue is noise. I am great (in fact I love) general City noise. Buses, trains, cars, people, concerts etc... But I do not want to ever hear my neighbors. The Tower is great in my opinion for being well insulated. But I walked into the center area of Le Bijou and there was a basketball net, and a kid shooting hoops. I'm out. Would not put up with it for a moment. The sound reverberated throughout the complex. Unless he is part of the only family there, terribly rude an unacceptable. Take that basketball down to the park or school. Or at least get it out of the center courtyard where the noise has no place to go.

Like I say, everybody is different. Maybe some people like the constant sound of a bouncing basketball. May sound like a kid having fun to someone. Not me.
And no mystery, barking dogs is my big one. That is why I live downtown. I do not do barking dogs. I would pull my ear drums out first. That is the main reason I do not live in a place like Le Bijou. They allow dogs, and without restrictions if I remember. You can't leave anything to people's good sense. Too many people have no sense at all.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#109 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

Brian, people with dogs live longer than those that don't have dogs. There is even a TV commercial pointing that out right now. :)

#110 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

.... You can't leave anything to people's good sense. Too many people have no sense at all.

Agreed. When it comes to neighbors and noise, one must--on their own--engineer out as many variables as possible, and even then, there will always be at least one PITA.

Bruce Burton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users