- - - - -

Demolition of the Landmark Tower (380 ft., 420 with clock)

• Please log in to reply
543 replies to this topic

#151 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 21 2006, 09:59 PM) View Post

That is one great shot! Do you have more of the construction of the building?

Just this one (also Bill Wood)
IPB Image

#152 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

OK, I was bored last night and was playing around on the computer....smile.gif

IPB Image

That was the most awesome building when I was a kid! I will miss it! cry.gif

#153 Wildcard

Wildcard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

That is an awesome shot of the building under construction! Keep these great shots coming! Does anybody know what type of store "Krugers" was? I see a vertical sign with that name on it at 6th and Houston in the photo but I don't remember that being there at all.

#154 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Wildcard @ Feb 22 2006, 03:34 PM) View Post

That is an awesome shot of the building under construction! Keep these great shots coming! Does anybody know what type of store "Krugers" was? I see a vertical sign with that name on it at 6th and Houston in the photo but I don't remember that being there at all.

Unless I'm mistaken, Krugers was a jewelry store based in Wichita Falls. The last store closed 3 or 4 years ago. Interestingly, Wichita Falls was the birthplace of two national chain jewelers. Gordons and Zales, although both moved out of Wichita Falls a long time ago.

What is the building on the right hand side of the photograph? It looks like it used to be where Burnett Plaza is today.

#155 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(cberen1 @ Feb 22 2006, 05:41 PM) View Post

What is the building on the right hand side of the photograph? It looks like it used to be where Burnett Plaza is today.

The tall building on the more panoramic of the photos was the Medical Arts Building, and yes, the "big Cheese" sits on that spot now.

#156 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have split this topic. I think all of the discussion of the Medical Arts Building and its replacement, Burnett Plaza is worthy of a separate thread. For that discussion, follow this link: http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=1367

Since this topic is split, we can now keep this discussion more focused on the demolition of the Landmark Tower.

#157 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

I have edited the history of the building slightly. Through some research, I found that the original proposal for the building gave it 28 floors. Two floors were added to the building when it was being redesigned after the 4 story bank opened.

#158 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Feb 23 2006, 07:11 AM) View Post

I have edited the history of the building slightly. Through some research, I found that the original proposal for the building gave it 28 floors. Two floors were added to the building when it was being redesigned after the 4 story bank opened.

Interesting!

Is it true that the clock was an afterthought? I have hear rumblings that the original plans did not include the revolving clock.
Somewhere i have a post card with the "newley opened" CNB without the clock. How much time passed before it was decided to ornate the top with the once famous timepiece?

#159 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:15 PM

Yes, the upper two floors and the clock were all added after the base of the building was completed.

I think the clock was completed in 1958, about one year after the office portion of the building opened.

#160 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:26 PM

Posted on Mon, Feb. 27, 2006

Your chance to blow up a high-rise
By SANDRA BAKER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

FORT WORTH — It’s been dubbed "The Blast Raffle."
So, if you’ve ever wanted to implode a downtown high-rise, XTO Energy is giving you the chance.
The Fort Worth oil and gas company has begun selling raffle tickets to determine who gets to push the button that will detonate more than 300 pounds of explosives to take down the 30-story Landmark Tower at Seventh and Houston streets on Saturday, March 18.

Joy Webster, vice president of facilities for XTO, said the Presbyterian Night Shelter and A Wish With Wings, which grants wishes to ill children, will share in the raffle’s proceeds, the charities designated by Bob Simpson, XTO’s chairman and chief executive.
Because the company’s offices are downtown, it wanted a downtown charity to benefit, but Mayor Mike Moncrief called the company and suggested A Wish With Wings, she said.
"We decided to split it between the two," Webster said.
Tickets are $25 each and may be purchased in person or by mail.
Tickets can be bought in person at The Simpson Building, 110 W. 7th St., in downtown Fort Worth, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., or by mail. Raffle tickets will be filled out with a name, address and phone number.

The deadline to purchase tickets in person is 5 p.m., Thursday, March 16th.
If purchasing by mail, send a check made out to XTO Energy, with your name, address and phone number to The Blast Raffle, XTO Energy, P.O. Box 17035, Fort Worth, TX 76102.
Envelopes must be postmarked by Tuesday, March 14th.
The winner will be notified by phone Friday, March 17th.
Webster said she has no idea how many tickets will be sold, but based on the number of phone calls the company received after an earlier announcement about the possible raffle, the number should be high.
Pre-demolition work by Midwest Wrecking in Fort Worth is proceeding on schedule, she said.
A 12-square-block area around Landmark Tower, at Seventh and Houston streets, has been designated as the safety perimeter and will be closed for a few hours before and after the implosion, which should take about 13 seconds from the time the button is pushed and the building falls to the ground.

It will then take about three months to haul off the pile of debris. XTO, which bought Landmark Tower in a foreclosure sale in January 2004, will use the block for employee parking for the near term, the company has said.

#161 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:27 PM

Last sentence says PARKING going in it's spot for the near term. So much for green space

#162 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:35 PM

They should at least paint the parking lot green rolleyes.gif

#163 David Love

David Love
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

Your chance to blow up a high-riseBy SANDRA BAKERStar-Telegram Staff WriterFORT WORTH — It’s been dubbed "The Blast Raffle."

So, if you’ve ever wanted to implode a downtown high-rise, XTO Energy is giving you the chance.
The Fort Worth oil and gas company has begun selling raffle tickets to determine who gets to push the button that will detonate more than 300 pounds of explosives to take down the 30-story Landmark Tower at Seventh and Houston streets on Saturday, March 18.

Joy Webster, vice president of facilities for XTO, said the Presbyterian Night Shelter and A Wish With Wings, which grants wishes to ill children, will share in the raffle’s proceeds, the charities designated by Bob Simpson, XTO’s chairman and chief executive.

Because the company’s offices are downtown, it wanted a downtown charity to benefit, but Mayor Mike Moncrief called the company and suggested A Wish With Wings, she said.
"We decided to split it between the two," Webster said.

Tickets are $25 each and may be purchased in person or by mail.
Tickets can be bought in person at The Simpson Building, 110 W. 7th St., in downtown Fort Worth, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., or by mail. Raffle tickets will be filled out with a name, address and phone number.
The deadline to purchase tickets in person is 5 p.m., Thursday, March 16th.

If purchasing by mail, send a check made out to XTO Energy, with your name, address and phone number to The Blast Raffle, XTO Energy, P.O. Box 17035, Fort Worth, TX 76102.
Envelopes must be postmarked by Tuesday, March 14th.

The winner will be notified by phone Friday, March 17th.

Webster said she has no idea how many tickets will be sold, but based on the number of phone calls the company received after an earlier announcement about the possible raffle, the number should be high.
Pre-demolition work by Midwest Wrecking in Fort Worth is proceeding on schedule, she said.

A 12-square-block area around Landmark Tower, at Seventh and Houston streets, has been designated as the safety perimeter and will be closed for a few hours before and after the implosion, which should take about 13 seconds from the time the button is pushed and the building falls to the ground.

It will then take about three months to haul off the pile of debris. XTO, which bought Landmark Tower in a foreclosure sale in January 2004, will use the block for employee parking for the near term, the company has said.

#164 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:04 PM

Further progress has been made recently. They're now wrapping the building in some sort of netting or webbing, presumably to help contain debris during the implosion. I've taken pics - will upload tonight.

--

Kara B.

#165 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:21 PM

There is an interesting web site with a full history of the building, including photographs not seen on this web site. The link to the page on the old Continental National Bank is:

http://www.alexindia...ent/CNB/CNB.htm

The overall web site is at http://www.alexindia.net

#166 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

WOW! Thanks for the link! Great pics!

#167 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

You're welcome. I wrote to the web master, and he gave me permission to link from the forum and my site. He is also a regular visitor.

#168 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

Some pics from a couple of days ago and today, showing the progress of the demolition. These pics show the netting being added to the exterior, which I presume has something to do with debris containment.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#169 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:21 AM

You know, they should have made some plan to preserve parts of the building for display somewhere (somehow), like at least one of the flights of the fire escape stairs, parts of the clock, the big night drop box that was recently removed from the south entrance. sad.gif
So sad that the building never got a second chance to shine.

John

#170 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Mar 2 2006, 08:21 AM) View Post

You know, they should have made some plan to preserve parts of the building for display somewhere (somehow), like at least one of the flights of the fire escape stairs, parts of the clock, the big night drop box that was recently removed from the south entrance. sad.gif
So sad that the building never got a second chance to shine.

John

I hope the drop box was saved. The fellow I talked to on the street who had some sort of business association with XTO said he's put in a request to have the drop box door if it could be removed safely. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#171 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:12 AM

This was a plan I came up with about 20 years ago, in fact I made a prototype about 15 but scaped it.

Picture this if you will.......

A desk clock that would be in the shape of the CNB building (about 10 or 12 inches tall) with a rotating clock that really keeps time! Talk about a conversation piece!

It was a neet idea 20 years ago but who would of thought that the clock and the building would be gone!

Anyone good with scale model building and miniature electronics????????

John

#172 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:03 PM

Oh, and for those who haven't noticed - the top of Ye Olde Big Rusty Pipe has come down. You can see it in my pics above.

--

Kara B.

#173 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

sleep.gif A moment of silence for the top of Ye Olde Big Rusty Pipe sleep.gif

#174 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

I took a good look at the building today and the netting on the base is chain link.

#175 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Mar 2 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

I figure after a good ol Implosion party, we can all go get some tetanus shots down at the JPS. Group rate?

Take in some of their architectural designs. Head over to Benito's afterwards.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#176 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE(safly @ Mar 2 2006, 11:54 PM) View Post

QUOTE(johnlp @ Mar 2 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

I figure after a good ol Implosion party, we can all go get some tetanus shots down at the JPS. Group rate?

Take in some of their architectural designs. Head over to Benito's afterwards.

I sometimes felt like I needed a tetanus shot after just looking at Landmark, especially Ye Olde Big Rusty Pipe. If you looked at it around the top, where the now-removed cap thingy was, it sort-of resembled the world's largest rusty nail.

Too bad Guiness didn't have a category for that - with a simple modification to the bottom of the pipe, the old tower could have had one more world record to go along with the clock and fire escape. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#177 Willy1

Willy1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:20 AM

I'm kind of sad that the building is coming down 2 weeks from tomorrow. It's a part of FW history that will be gone forever. I agree the building has become and eyesore. I just hate to see it go instead of being reborn into something new. It's a big part of the skyline and for a long time it WAS the skyline. I hate that it's going to be just a parking lot. How boring. Another piece of FW history slips into, well... history. sad.gif

#178 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE(Willy1 @ Mar 3 2006, 10:20 AM) View Post

I'm kind of sad that the building is coming down 2 weeks from tomorrow. It's a part of FW history that will be gone forever. I agree the building has become and eyesore. I just hate to see it go instead of being reborn into something new. It's a big part of the skyline and for a long time it WAS the skyline. I hate that it's going to be just a parking lot. How boring. Another piece of FW history slips into, well... history. sad.gif

You know...I agree. It's kind of sad. I've poked a lot of fun at the old girl for her deteriorating aluminum wall, Ye Olde Big Rusty Pipe, the design deficiencies, her architectural merit (very little, IMHO), and so forth, but part of me really is going to miss that big aluminum box in the sky. I can only imagine what it must have been like in the '50s - while I'm not a big fan of the style, I can guess that seeing that thing towering over everything else with the big clock on top, shiny and partly transparent with the original clear glass, must have been pretty impressive at the time.

I think XTO should put a tombstone at the edge of their new parking lot:

HERE LIES LANDMARK TOWER
Swaying to the rhythm of the big rotating clock in the sky.

--

Kara B.

#179 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

Here's a challenge to some of you guys who have managed to dig up some great historical photos and whatnot on the building: Does anyone have a copy of the renderings of the remodeled building as a residence that were floating around in the pre-tornado days? I remember seeing them in some type of pre-leasing ad in the S-T. I believe the proposal was for condos or apartments with a large spire topping a non-rotating digital clock at the top of the building. Just curious if anyone has access to that.

#180 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:47 AM

I was thinking about that too JBB. I can't find anything online but I remember those S-T ads with the renderings. I don't think I was too impressed though. Still it was a great idea at the time though. I'm suprised a photo of it wasn't ever in this or the old forum. Or was it???

#181 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:28 PM

Can't find a rendering, but here is an excerpt from an old FW Weekly article discussing then-owner Scott Christensen's plans for the residential conversion:

"According to the Landmark summary, Christensen originally planned for the tower to be “an apartment-only project,’’ but “many wealthy Fort Worth families ... approached the (d)eveloper to inquire about buying a floor or part of a floor for their own condominium.’’

As envisioned in the summary, the project would encompass the renovation of the existing tower and construction of an adjacent 20-story building, with projected construction costs of $61 million. Together, the developer boasted, the two towers would offer the “most luxurious and only high-rise residence in Fort Worth’’ with a swimming pool, fitness center, state-of-the-art electronics, and units of up to 6,000 square feet with 12-foot ceilings. The status of financing for the project is not clear."

--

Kara B.

#182 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:28 PM

There use to be a big one that you could see through the windows when they were planning it. It was to have had a pyramid top with a clock. dry.gif

John

#183 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

From an April 1999 DBJ article:

Crestview L.L.C.'s Landmark Tower development at 200 W. Seventh St., set to begin construction in mid- to late- April, has experienced its share of setbacks. In September, the third floor of the 30-story building caught fire. This year, it lost its contractor. Haws & Tingle General Contractors of Fort Worth was supposed to apply for the building permits on the job last March, but it is now off the job. Both Crestview and Haws & Tingle declined to comment about why the business relationship ended. Byrne Construction Co. of Fort Worth has been hired as the contractor.

Alan Meeker of Fort Worth and Scott Christensen of Connecticut-based Crestview are redeveloping the former Texas Building into a 330,000-square-foot condominium complex to include 141 condos; 42,000 square feet of retail and 550 parking spaces. Three floors will be added.

Two 4,500 square-foot penthouses, sold at $175 a square foot, will occupy the 31st story; a new clock face will occupy the 32nd story; and condos will occupy the 33rd story. A nine-level, 270,000 square-foot garage will wrap around the complex on two sides.

Even with its setbacks, Crestview has sold 26 of the available 31 condos for sale and has qualified 210 prospective tenants for the available 110 condos for lease.

Meeker chose the Texas Building site because "its location is in the heart of one of the finest downtowns in the country."

#184 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Mar 3 2006, 12:41 PM) View Post

From an April 1999 DBJ article:
Meeker chose the Texas Building site because "its location is in the heart of one of the finest downtowns in the country."

Of course it's the heart of downtown, it had the tallest tower smack dab in the middle once upon a time. Now XTO could once again build downtown's tallest with that 50 story idea. I thought XTO was about restoring the past in architecture, especially facades of thier buildings they purchase for office use. XTO how about "restoring" the heart of downtown with the tallest building again. Please?
wink.gif Also, just a small 20 something story just isn't worthy of a prime location where a tall structure is more fitting.

Can you imagine the "Heart" of downtown a PARKING LOT??? ohmy.gif

Edited by DrkLts, 03 March 2006 - 01:57 PM.

#185 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE(DrkLts @ Mar 3 2006, 01:51 PM) View Post
Of course it's the heart of downtown, it had the tallest tower smack dab in the middle once upon a time. Now XTO could once again build downtown's tallest with that 50 story idea. I thought XTO was about restoring the past in architecture, especially facades of thier buildings they purchase for office use. XTO how about "restoring" the heart of downtown with the tallest building again. Please?
wink.gif Also, just a small 20 something story just isn't worthy of a prime location where a tall structure is more fitting.

Can you imagine the "Heart" of downtown a PARKING LOT??? ohmy.gif

I agree, it's sad. I know that whatever XTO does build there (assuming something gets built, and eventually I think it will) will be first-class, but I'd still really like to see a Big McLargeHuge tower go up there. In the "fantasy land" thread, I choose this location for my "Pioneer Center," a signature Fort Worth tower inspired by Pioneer Tower at the Will Rogers center. Since it was a fantasy poll, my Pioneer Center was 1200 feet, built as one huge love letter to Art Deco and Moderne and built very old-school style (more authentic looking than, say, the Bank One building). Hey, if I become a multi-gazillionaire, I promise you all I'll build it. smile.gif

--

Kara B.

#186 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 02:13 AM

Two 4,500 square-foot penthouses, sold at $175 a square foot, will occupy the 31st story

rotflmao.gif That project was DOOMED from the beginning.

I bet some Dallas side condo developer set fire to that 3rd floor, just to keep them hangin on til the market got even more ripe. dry.gif

We go from a $175/ sqft PENTHOUSE condo in '99 to a $279/sqft. PH condo at the tower in '04?

What gives? mad.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#187 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:34 PM

New pic - check the Tower O' Wood in the lobby:

IPB Image

--

Kara B.

#188 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:38 AM

If anyone in the TOWER has an excellent view of the Landmark (soon to be rubble) Tower, please send me a mssg. to get an individual in contact with you. This person is interested in filming a professional shoot during the implosion. Not sure for what reason, but they had promised that the crew will be VERY professional and not allow your domain to be EXPOSED. Thanks.

wink.gif
www.iheartfw.com

#189 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:23 AM

QUOTE(Atomic Glee @ Mar 6 2006, 11:34 PM) View Post

New pic - check the Tower O' Wood in the lobby:

IPB Image

That is one BIG A** game of Jinga they are playing there! newlaugh.gif newlaugh.gif newlaugh.gif

John

#190 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE(johnlp @ Mar 7 2006, 08:23 AM) View Post
That is one BIG A** game of Jinga they are playing there! newlaugh.gif newlaugh.gif newlaugh.gif

John

rotflmao.gif

I wonder if Guiness has a category for that? Maybe we can squeeze one more record out of Landmark before she goes! biggrin.gif

--

Kara B.

#191 johnlp

johnlp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

I noticed that "Ye Olde Big Rusty Pipe" lost it's elbow! sad.gif

#192 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:33 PM

Will there be any views of the implosion without even being in downtown? I'd like to see this happen, but without being crowded by an audience packing downtown. Like an overpass bridge? The one on Pennsilvania Ave that goes over I-35 seems to give a great view. Downtown isn't that packed with buidings that will block it from a good distance. Also I dont wanna breathe in so much dust! unsure.gif

#193 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

I'm thinking of watching it from somewhere on Lancaster, maybe around the post office. Seems like close enough to get a semi-unobstructed view and far enough that I can leave quickly when it's done.

#194 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

Will there be any views of the implosion without even being in downtown? I'd like to see this happen, but without being crowded by an audience packing downtown. Like an overpass bridge? The one on Pennsilvania Ave that goes over I-35 seems to give a great view. Downtown isn't that packed with buidings that will block it from a good distance. Also I dont wanna breathe in so much dust

There are some nice distance views from Trinity Park looking between the Cash America Bldg and Pier One. Also a good view walking towards Radio Shack Campus in Trinity Park. Good views of the majority of the bldg but at a distance. I had thought about watching it from here. Only prob might be looking into the sun of you are going to take pics.

#195 bburton

bburton
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(JBB @ Mar 7 2006, 03:48 PM) View Post

I'm thinking of watching it from somewhere on Lancaster, maybe around the post office. Seems like close enough to get a semi-unobstructed view and far enough that I can leave quickly when it's done.

From my observations, the intersection of Jennings and Lancaster gives a decent view of about the top 3/4 of the Landmark Tower.

#196 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:27 PM

That is a good view from a short distance that isn't right in the thick of things.

I saw the tower of wood yesterday. There are actually more than one. They sit at the mid spans beneath the transfer girders or where the mezzanine floors were hung.

#197 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:59 AM

Tower of Wood.

I wonder if by removing one of those 6 x 6s from the stack, that starts the chain reaction for the building demolition ....

RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY FAST

Dave

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#198 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:09 PM

rotflmao.gif

#199 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

I've used cribbing to lift a streetcar up so we could remove the trucks (wheelset). It's amazing to see some of the temporary support structures that have been built with cribbing in the past. Saw a whole, large house supported that way once.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#200 bryanr

bryanr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

[quote name='Atomic Glee' date='Feb 8 2006, 09:58 AM' post='21085']
From 7th Street, one little detail that I hope gets saved (and that I'd love to have) - that ornate little round mail door (I believe that's what it is):

Did you get informed that the little round dor was a night deposit door? rotflmao.gif
Paschal Class of 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users