#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

And so it begins.

I noticed that after The Main Street Arts Festival packed up, the Main Sundance Parking Lots were closed off to parking.
This morning I see what appears to be Construction! (I say, show me a new Porta Potty and I say CONSTRUCTION)

I plan to take progress photos from start to finish. 3 New big buildings, plus. I started a new thread as this is a new beginning. (Not a proposal, not an announcement, but dirt moving.) I am very excited to see, first hand, an exciting new chapter in Sundance Square. Stay tuned to this channel...

Day One
Posted Image

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#2 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes Brian, this is indeed exciting. Please keep the pictures flowing, and maybe a video here and there :swg:

#3 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

When is the last day at the Saucer? Want to make sure I make that....

#4 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Noticed they were totally dark last night.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#5 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

I talked to a guy on saturday at the Saucer and he said it'll be mid May or so before they move into the new building. They had to redo all of the plumbing to bring the place up to code, and found some other issues they have to fix. Basically they are at the point of just trying to get it up to code and then they can open, which is why they are opening the patio for bands, but not inside. Once it's to code, they'll completely move over there.

#6 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I talked to a guy on saturday at the Saucer and he said it'll be mid May or so before they move into the new building. They had to redo all of the plumbing to bring the place up to code, and found some other issues they have to fix. Basically they are at the point of just trying to get it up to code and then they can open, which is why they are opening the patio for bands, but not inside. Once it's to code, they'll completely move over there.

Which new building?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#7 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

The restaurant that was known as 8.0's. (Has the outdoor, covered concert area to the East of it.)
www.fortworthview.com

#8 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

That outdoor patio was great during the Main Street Arts festival! Shade and seats and better beer than you could buy from the festival (and no ridiculous tickets required to buy it either)!

#9 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

We saw Foreigner's acoustic set there a couple weeks ago (although there were NO original members of Foreigner involved LOL) - nice place for an outdoor show!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

The official groundbreaking for the project is Wednesday, May 9 at 10:00 AM.

#11 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

The official groundbreaking for the project is Wednesday, May 9 at 10:00 AM.

Again, sooooo exciting. question, Will section of main that is between the two parking lots, become part of the pedestrian plaza as well?

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

I don't think so. The plaza will go right up to Main, but Main will remain a motor traffic corridor. However, with the new plaza, it will better highlight the city Christmas tree, the Main Street Art Fest, and probably other events that will utilize the plaza.
My blog: Doohickie

#13 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Check out this related story from CBC11 http://dfw.cbslocal....undance-square/

#14 Jtcu

Jtcu

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I can't believe so many people don't know about the free parking structures surrounding downtown.

#15 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

I can't believe so many people don't know about the free parking structures surrounding downtown.

Yeah there is a lot of people who can't read. Signs are everywhere. The only time I've ever had a issue finding a parking space in/around downtown was for Main Street Arts Festival. But I also know how far away I can park and still get free parking, soooo...

#16 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

That is because most people are stupid.

#17 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Amazing how many people are complaining about this....

7fwPZnE.png

#18 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

Are there really that many people that *count* on parking in Sundance square when they head downtown? I don't think I've even tried to park there in the last seven years or so. At this point if people are complaining about losing the parking lot, too bad, it's a done deal! Go find a parking garage people! Your ancestors had to forage for roots & berries, you have to forage for parking! It's the price you pay for living in a city with a downtown worth visiting. Ask somebody from [name your big city of choice] how bad we've got it...

#19 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hey am I seeing this right? On this PDF file it shows that the building that house "Saviano's Italian Pizzeria and Restaurant" and the alike will be knock down to make way for the third building in the plan, am I seeing that right?

#20 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hey am I seeing this right? On this PDF file it shows that the building that house "Saviano's Italian Pizzeria and Restaurant" and the alike will be knock down to make way for the third building in the plan, am I seeing that right?

It will be.

7fwPZnE.png

#21 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

If someone thinks that the only parking in Sundance is those two parking lots, then obviously they pay zero attention to how many people are in downtown on the weekend. Where do you think all of those people are parking, because they certainly don't all live down there.

That said, yes Saviano's building is getting knocked down. I've not heard if they are moving or what is happening.

#22 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Fort Worth needs more distinctive attractions for out-of-area tourists. Sundance Square already symbolized the old West and augmented the city’s cowtown theme, but the square was a part-time event-oriented attraction only. Soon there will be a permanent plaza replacing parking lots. In this case, I’m not one to shed a tear over the plight of displaced cars.

#23 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Fort Worth needs more distinctive attractions for out-of-area tourists. Sundance Square already symbolized the old West and augmented the city’s cowtown theme, but the square was a part-time event-oriented attraction only. Soon there will be a permanent plaza replacing parking lots. In this case, I’m not one to shed a tear over the plight of displaced cars.

Here here.

And I really don't see the need to cry about it. Sundance Square is small enough to walk around. I'm sure losing two surface lots (which is what downtown has TOO MUCH of) will kill anything.

7fwPZnE.png

#24 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I still think that for the tax abatements offered/requested there should have been at least two levels of parking under the square.

#25 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

Sundance Square has released the names of the three buildings. The building at Third and Throckmorton will be called The Cassidy. That is no surprise here because the name had already been thrown out there by Sundance when a condominium or apartment building was planned for the site. The Houston Street Building will be called The Westbrook. This name comes from the 7 story Westbrook Hotel that was on the same block, but turned 90 degrees by facing Fourth Street. The building facing Commerce Street will be called the Commerce Building. I'm worried a little bit about this confusion over the old Fair Building, which was named the Commerce Building from the 1960's until last year.

#26 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Why oh why have a grassy surface layout in the two plazas? There are plazas in the world that are popular and concrete, with amazing art sculptures... Chicago = http://tinyurl.com/c4r6nzc / http://tinyurl.com/cs88392 | NYC = http://tinyurl.com/78vserj | Xinjiekou, Nanjing China = http://tinyurl.com/72q5hdw | Plaza Mayor in Madrid = http://tinyurl.com/bq6sk29 . Just saying, it's easier to move about on concrete surface than grass with a walking path. Burnett park for instance is a struggle to even play frisbee in because of the mixture of grass and concrete path. I don't know and I know it sounds crazy, but I believe you shouldn't combine a park that's normally grassy surface and a pedestrian plaza that's normally is concrete surface..

#27 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Here's the link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article by Sandra Baker on the project.
http://www.star-tele...gets-ready.html

#28 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

ron4life - I haven't seen anything indicating that the plaza is going to feature grassy surfaces. If Pioneer Square is being used as a model, I would expect brick and some sort of stone surfaces with landscaping and water features mixed in. The buildings are probably going to eat up 50% or more of the 2 existing surface lots. This is not really going to be a massive plaza.

Is it at all possible that these building names are placeholders until major tenants are signed?

#29 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Sundance Square has released the names of the three buildings. The building at Third and Throckmorton will be called The Cassidy. That is no surprise here because the name had already been thrown out there by Sundance when a condominium or apartment building was planned for the site. The Houston Street Building will be called The Westbrook. This name comes from the 7 story Westbrook Hotel that was on the same block, but turned 90 degrees by facing Fourth Street. The building facing Commerce Street will be called the Commerce Building. I'm worried a little bit about this confusion over the old Fair Building, which was named the Commerce Building from the 1960's until last year.

If this is the same "Cassidy" building described in the downtown proposed section of this website, it sure was downgraded--from the original 22-story concept!

#30 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

I like the nod to the Westbrook hotel. Is the Cassidy named such because of Butch Cassidy?

#31 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

A really terrific event this morning. (Groundbreaking for the new buildings and public plaza.) Pretty much everybody there was somebody big. I saw 3 Fort Worth Mayors together at one point. Ed Bass, Joel Burns, Wendy Davis Etc, Etc...

Take a look.

www.fortworthview.com

#32 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

Amongst all the excitement being generated at today's groundbreaking, this teaser offered by Johnny Campbell, president and CEO of Sundance Square has to be the most exciting of all:

"The tenant mix will be one that will make everyone who lives and works here excited," he said, adding that he could not be specific, but that there is talk of "additional media properties" in the area. Fort Worth Business Press 5/9/12

Can this be what I have been hoping for and what I believed will really make downtown a place to be and to be seen: a live TV/Broadcasting Station/Studio.... CBS 11?

Keep Fort Worth folksy

#33 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

ron4life - I haven't seen anything indicating that the plaza is going to feature grassy surfaces. If Pioneer Square is being used as a model, I would expect brick and some sort of stone surfaces with landscaping and water features mixed in. The buildings are probably going to eat up 50% or more of the 2 existing surface lots. This is not really going to be a massive plaza.

Oh ok, just making sure

Amongst all the excitement being generated at today's groundbreaking, this teaser offered by Johnny Campbell, president and CEO of Sundance Square has to be the most exciting of all:

"The tenant mix will be one that will make everyone who lives and works here excited," he said, adding that he could not be specific, but that there is talk of "additional media properties" in the area. Fort Worth Business Press 5/9/12

Can this be what I have been hoping for and what I believed will really make downtown a place to be and to be seen: a live TV/Broadcasting Station/Studio.... CBS 11?

Hmm... CBS 11 / CNN / ESPN ? The mystery is full of excitement indeed.

#34 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:27 PM

ESPN iis owned by Disney, Bass owns a signifcant porting of Disney stock. Hmmm

#35 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

ESPN iis owned by Disney, Bass owns a signifant porting of Disney stock. Hmmm

Let's see...

- The Bass Family owns stock in Disney.
- Disney owns ESPN.
- ESPN picked Sundance Square during the Super Bowl.
- The time spent sparked talks and rumors of ESPN coming back.
- There are three new buildings coming to downtown.
- It has been said that there will be "additional media properties" in these buildings.
- The new buildings are in Sundance Square, which belongs to the Bass Family, who owns stock in Disney, which owns ESPN.

.... yeah, you just may be on to something.

7fwPZnE.png

#36 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I would love to see ESPN in Downtown before CBS, honestly.

#37 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

You know, for all the people complaining about the "loss" of parking, I can count eight.... EIGHT places to park within walking distance of the new square in this photo.

Posted Image

7fwPZnE.png

#38 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

True but at this year's Super Bowl the anchor's were still gripping about last years Super Bowl. Saying how they had to drive from Dallas to Fort Worth "everying is too spread out" "Didn't have heat in thier hotel's for three days" Bunch of drama queens if you ask me.

#39 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

A good portion of the Bass's Disney stock was sold in a margin call in 2001. Seems like Ed sold all of his if I remember correctly.

#40 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

True but at this year's Super Bowl the anchor's were still gripping about last years Super Bowl. Saying how they had to drive from Dallas to Fort Worth "everying is too spread out" "Didn't have heat in thier hotel's for three days" Bunch of drama queens if you ask me.

What does that have to do with ESPN having a studio or at least an ESPNZone in Downtown Fort Worth?

7fwPZnE.png

#41 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

I took a vacation day yesterday to attend a Sundance Public Plaza workshop. I was asked to be a part of it (figure) and feel honored. About 35 people including Ed Bass, Councilpersons, City planners, Business leaders, architects on the project,etc. etc...
I am thinking I was the only nobody there. (Somebody has to represent us nobody's) It was 3 1/2 hours long. We started by breaking into groups to have a field trip. Each group was on a different corner in the general plaza area. We then prepared a 5 minute briefing on what we liked and didn't like. I did the "nobody's" proud by mostly keeping my big mouth shut. really, the people in my group were amazingly capable and were excellent communicators. I really enjoyed all the people there. I wanted to take notes at everything that was said by the people in my group. All too smart.

Sundance is really going all out to figure the very best for Fort Worth. I am too excited about what is ahead for the Plaza. In the past I have been more excited about the new buildings. Now I am equally excited about the plaza itself. Sundance has been working on this for 19 years and I think it is all going to be worth it. Strap yourselves in.

Star Telegram, this morning, supports the project in an editorial.

http://www.star-tele...plaza-is-a.html
www.fortworthview.com

#42 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

I took a vacation day yesterday to attend a Sundance Public Plaza workshop. I was asked to be a part of it (figure) and feel honored. About 35 people including Ed Bass, Councilpersons, City planners, Business leaders, architects on the project,etc. etc...
I am thinking I was the only nobody there. (Somebody has to represent us nobody's) It was 3 1/2 hours long. We started by breaking into groups to have a field trip. Each group was on a different corner in the general plaza area. We then prepared a 5 minute briefing on what we liked and didn't like. I did the "nobody's" proud by mostly keeping my big mouth shut. really, the people in my group were amazingly capable and were excellent communicators. I really enjoyed all the people there. I wanted to take notes at everything that was said by the people in my group. All too smart.

Sundance is really going all out to figure the very best for Fort Worth. I am too excited about what is ahead for the Plaza. In the past I have been more excited about the new buildings. Now I am equally excited about the plaza itself. Sundance has been working on this for 19 years and I think it is all going to be worth it. Strap yourselves in.

Star Telegram, this morning, supports the project in an editorial.

http://www.star-tele...plaza-is-a.html

Brian that is good news. Now the "nobody" part is a bit out there would you say? Because I'm pretty sure those smart folks end up coming to this forum to ingest some valuable knowledge for the task ahead :D

#43 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Ron4life is right, you never know who visits this forum.

#44 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

May 20, 2012 Construction Photos:

The Westbrook:
Posted Image

The Commerce Building:
Posted Image

#45 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Each building in this project now has their own Fort Worth Architecture page. You can link to their listings from the Downtown Alphabetical Page.

#46 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

Progress underway for the Westbrook and Commerce Buildings. June 1, 2012

A crop of a larger photo. I should have zoomed in instead. But you get the idea.
Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#47 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

It's good to see that they are actually scraping the pavement off of the site. It will also be interesting to see what remains of the old McCrory's store are still there (northern half of the block minus the Jett Building) and if they pushed any of the Westbrook Hotel into its basement. (southern half of the block)

#48 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Progress underway for the Westbrook and Commerce Buildings. June 1, 2012
A crop of a larger photo. I should have zoomed in instead. But you get the idea.
Posted Image

Once they scrape the rest of the pavement off both the lots, would that not be a PERFECT place to host the Red Bull XFighters? http://www.redbull.c...001243148660786 just pile up some dirt, add some bleachers and the show is ON!

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#49 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

This morning. I love these trucks. I love watching construction like this.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#50 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Just curious, does anyone know if the block of Main Street between to two new buildings will be closed off and made part of the new plaza?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Construction Photographs, Sundance Square, Sundance Plaza, The Westbrook, Commerce Building, Jett Building, Land Title Block

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users