571 replies to this topic

#101 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

....I think it is a longshot for Fort Worth to get Amazon. But I think Fort Worth is more in contention then most people realize. 

Consider this,  if Dallas had a P.I. nearly ready to go, it would be hands down the leader. 

Fort Worth is just 30 miles west and has all the intangibles that Dallas has.  Because Fort Worth is a stealth in the mind of many people does not mean that it is a stealth in the mind of executives who evaluate potential sites regardless of the amount of good press that each can muster.  The assets will be the determining factor.  Its always good to be a darkhorse; less fire from the opposition.

If Fort Worth does get Amazon, it will never again be thought of as Greater Dallas.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#102 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

All week I have been reading about whos in whos out ? And opinions are all over the map. And even Amazon twitted and said the NYTimes has it "wrong" No city is the front runner. And it got me thinking about facebook. Fort Worth beat 220 other cities. And in a year long fight. And even further back. When Fort Worth won the money plant back in the early 90"s or was it the 80's ? Anyway. I think it is a longshot for Fort Worth to get Amazon. But I think Fort Worth is more in contention then most people realize.  

Fort Worth gets facebook . http://rapidcityjour...6aed3bf2e3.html

That is true NID... I just have a sneaking suspicion and a gut feeling that Amazon's final decision is going to somewhat surprise a lot of people.

#103 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:54 PM

At this point in the process, with the requirements being so broad that no one location is a perfect fit and so many areas are presumably throwing their hat in the ring, every city is a longshot. There's nothing to the RFP that Amazon couldn't find out on their own. The sweepstakes is all about laying out incentives.

#104 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

At this point in the process, with the requirements being so broad that no one location is a perfect fit and so many areas are presumably throwing their hat in the ring, every city is a longshot. There's nothing to the RFP that Amazon couldn't find out on their own. The sweepstakes is all about laying out incentives.

Of course, we are not speculating on every city, just Fort Worth.  Other cities presumably are concentrating on submitting their best offer.  It can be reasonably presumed that cities without international air service; that cities without a strategic location within the Continental U.S.; and that cities that do not have urban space availability are at a disadvantage.

What is that you believe that Amazon can find out on their own; and why do you seem to want that Fort Worth should just lay low, leaving it to Amazon when other cities are not laying low and are actively preparing their offer?

#105 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:41 PM

Will you please point out where I said that Fort Worth should lay low? Much of what they're looking for in their RFP, available real estate, transportation, housing, a trained workforce, etc., they can find with a Google search or by working with a commercial real estate firm. They're looking for cities to present incentives.

Fort Worth should aggressively pursue Amazon. Any city in the country that doesn't is insane. I was merely agreeing that it's a longshot for them to land here. Or New York, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Chicago, or any other city that is interested in HQ2.

#106 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:22 PM

Will you please point out where I said that Fort Worth should lay low? Much of what they're looking for in their RFP, available real estate, transportation, housing, a trained workforce, etc., they can find with a Google search or by working with a commercial real estate firm. They're looking for cities to present incentives.

Fort Worth should aggressively pursue Amazon. Any city in the country that doesn't is insane. I was merely agreeing that it's a longshot for them to land here. Or New York, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, Pittsburg, Chicago, or any other city that is interested in HQ2.

I see it as your reply to post #102 and saying that the work of Amazon is all that is required accepting for incentives.

Yes, incentives are being sought and every state will find a way to provide those incentives; that is obvious.  You think or implied that Fort Worth and other cities should wait for Amazon to find its location by a google search; if that is your thought, then fine.  I don't believe that Amazon, if it believe that all that it would take them to do to find the best location is to run a google search, would have issued a RFP; thats my thought.

It is generally understood that certain cities are longshots; nothing new here.  But to enhance your chance, a city will have to show them land, show them a thriving central core and show them a community with the quality of life that it wants to enjoy.  Fort Worth must present; or it will be overlooked.

#107 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

I didn't mean to imply that cities shouldn't do the work, just that a lot of it isn't necessary. See the article I posted the other day. Obviously since they put out the RFP, every city needs to do the proposal.

#108 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

I didn't mean to imply that cities shouldn't do the work, just that a lot of it isn't necessary. See the article I posted the other day. Obviously since they put out the RFP, every city needs to do the proposal.

I once administered the purchasing of equipment and supplies.  RFP were posted.  Vendors, wanting our business, demonstrated, showed and brought us to their factory.  We did not find them; they found us. 

So what part or parts of the bidding process do you think that cities will not need to do because Amazon will have done it for them?

#109 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:52 PM

Companies make real estate decisions all of the time without putting out an RFP. That's all I'm saying.

#110 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Companies make real estate decisions all of the time without putting out an RFP. That's all I'm saying.

In that case, why do you suppose that Amazon did so; put out a RFP?  

Now this is how I am reading the tenor of your post and it is: 

"well, whatever;  Amazon knows all that every city has to offer and therefore it wasn't really necessary to create such intense competition".  

I think that Amazon does not know all of what is out there and that it has not spent the time to find out. I also think that a city, Fort Worth in particular,  has to bring it best qualities to Amazon and show Amazon that it is a ideal place and is ready to start the building process immediately.

#111 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

Other than "well, whatever", that's exactly what I'm saying.  And I agree with your last paragraph, 100%.

#112 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

Other than "well, whatever", that's exactly what I'm saying.  And I agree with your last paragraph, 100%.

I believe that Fort Worth is so overlooked that it has to make noise whenever it can.  Take a recent posting about Tesla's ambitions in Texas where Fort Worth is not mentioned other than as the second half of DFW Airport; or the national media reporting that Austin and Dallas are the leading candidates in Texas to land Amazon. I personally think that Dallas Proper does not stand a snowball's chance in hell of landing Amazon; its suburbs are its only chance. 

Now are we going to be the winner?; my expectations are cautious at best but if Texas is among the finalist, my expectations become 50/50 - Fort Worth or Austin.  Can Fort Worth top Austin; heck yeah.

Fort Worth has an infectious charm and friendliness that seem to relate to people. Beyond its civic nature, it has all the qualities of a major American metropolis. My concern is what will become of Fort Worth's charm should it become the Amazon City overnight. 

On a personal note, I know that you will be as disappointed as I if Fort Worth does not get chosen by Amazon. :)

• JBB likes this

#113 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

NBC 5 Mayor Rawlings. https://t.co/PWRI7rakGL

#114 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:33 AM

I'm can't decide if a combined regional effort is a negative or a positive approach, but to me it feels like a negative one. How would that benefit FW or any other city in the region if it is built in Dallas and vice versa.

#115 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

I'm can't decide if a combined regional effort is a negative or a positive approach, but to me it feels like a negative one. How would that benefit FW or any other city in the region if it is built in Dallas and vice versa....

From past experience, it is difficult to see much benefit for Fort Worth.  None of the high profile headquarter relocations by Toyota, Liberty Mutual or State Farm to the region have produce significant, tangible benefit to the City while the Collin County suburbs have reap enormous windfalls. 

Rawlings opened up "Regional working with Price" then proceeded to never utter the name Fort Worth again. Saying regionalism is apparently enough to satisfy Mayor Price.  Rawlings traveled to Seattle without Price; what does that tell you? The answer "public humiliation and disregard".  He talked to Amazon about Dallas; who esle?  If Amazon decides on a Northern Dallas location, Fort Worth will never be heard of again in the conversation.

Mayor Price is showing a breathtakingly lame approach to the Amazon RFP.  She should be on a plane to Seattle right away to demonstrate that Fort Worth is interested; but her behavior is like "a deer in the headlight".  Is there anybody on our City Council with the courage to stand up for Fort Worth? Fort Worth will get rolled; Dallas is bereft of any potential site other in its suburbs (Las Colinas,Plano,Richardson,Frisco) and would be perfectly happy with Amazon-Collin County. 

Mayor Price will talk about how she and Rawlings flew to Europe on trip to promote North Texas; and once again she her lack of putting the City at the fore front will be excused.   Our only hope is that Congresswoman Granger is doing some behind the scene calling to promote Fort Worth when obviously the current mayor is unwilling to do. Without a Granger Move,  Austin, Texas will win this hands down!

#116 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

Walmart to build new headquarters.  It will be in a campus setting of 350 acres and will be built in Bentonville, Arkansas.

By the way Mayor Price, do you know of any 300-800 acres plot of land in Fort Worth that might be an available site for another company to build a campus setting headquarters?

Tonight, I contacted the City of Fort Worth sending in an email. 

My email asked two questions: "When does Mayor Price plan to visit Seattle, Washington to demonstrate that Fort Worth is the best location for Amazon Second Headquarters?" and "Is the City of Fort Worth serious about becoming the location of Amazon Second Headquarters?"

I also submitted an email to Trinity River Vision inquiring about Panther Island and whether it can be submitted as the site of Amazon Second Headquarters.  Tomorrow writing to the Fort Worth Office of Congresswoman Granger.

#117 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:38 AM

I'm can't decide if a combined regional effort is a negative or a positive approach, but to me it feels like a negative one. How would that benefit FW or any other city in the region if it is built in Dallas and vice versa.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I'm a fan of the regional effort.  Like it or not, Fort Worth and Dallas will forever be connected economically.  I believe that if we had a regional joint bid that highlighted 4 potential locations (Dallas, Frisco/Plano, Southlake/Westlake, Fort Worth) on equal footing, that gives Fort Worth a better shot than if we had a completely separate proposal that competed head to head with something Dallas would put out there.  But it's just speculation.

To answer the last question though, I don't think it's speculation to say that we all benefit if Amazon moves to anywhere in the region.  Employees will be spread out (if it's in Dallas, there will absolutely be employees living in Tarrant County and paying taxes, and vice versa), the airports benefit, the region gains significant recognition, etc.  Even if Plano/Frisco ended up as the winner, I have come to believe over the past couple of years that Collin County is facing an increasingly dire logistical situation when it comes to transportation and logistics of moving people around.  So if Amazon ends up there, fast forward 10 years and you have to think that it's a major traffic nightmare.  At some point developers are going to realize that McKinney and Prosper are too remote, and the focus will return to urban locations that are cheaper and closer in (IE Fort Worth).  The Southern Land Co's announcement of the 30 story apartment building downtown is a nice start, and the more crowded things get in Frisco, the more Fort Worth stands to benefit long-term.  I believe an Amazon relocation to Dallas/Collin County would accelerate that benefit.

#118 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Has "regional effort" been good for Fort Worth so far ? Well it has been good for the Metroplex . Look at the Fortune 500 in the Fort Worth Dallas area. And other "notable companies"  P.S. Take away D.R. Horton and XTO. https://en.wikipedia...Worth_metroplex

#119 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

As I posted earlier in the thread, I'm a fan of the regional effort.  Like it or not, Fort Worth and Dallas will forever be connected economically.  I believe that if we had a regional joint bid that highlighted 4 potential locations (Dallas, Frisco/Plano, Southlake/Westlake, Fort Worth) on equal footing, that gives Fort Worth a better shot than if we had a completely separate proposal that competed head to head with something Dallas would put out there.  But it's just speculation.

I have to say that I disagree with your optimism and speculation  in regards to Regionalism.

With the one major exception of DFW Airport, which came about because of federal dictate, the benefits from regionalism has been markedly uneven.  In a world of equal footing of corporate relocation, Dallas/Collin Co. would get Totoya, Fort Worth/Johnson Co. would get State Farm, Dallas/Collin Co. would get Liberty Mutual and Fort Worth/Johnson Co would get Amazon. In fact little if no speculation is needed. FW/J did not get even one of those corporate relocations and should an Amazon relocation to D/C  happen , it would be a complete sweep in favor of D/C.

Regionalism works in a very limited area; namely transportation (airport). It has made it possible for suburbs to benefit in far greater way than if DFW did not exist.

Regionalism does not work as fairly in the economies of local jurisdictions.  Instead, the competition between the several local economies within the region is fierce and self serving.  I strongly recommend that you watch the video posted above; nothing is as evident in proving my point as is one city exercising its narrowly defined self interest above the other.  In the cloak of regionalism, the Mayor of Dallas admits to traveling to Amazon's headquarters alone.  If he mentions Fort Worth or any city in Tarrant County, it is at the first 2-3 seconds of his interview and then he proceeds talking up Dallas and its suburbs as his definition of regionalism. 

Regionalism does not spread tax revenues fairly or equally.  Schools in Fort Worth, and therefore taxpayers here,  have not benefited from corporate appraisals and the millions of dollars that it infuses into Collin County schools; consider - where are the richest schools in the region located.  I could go on; but the point must be clear by now.

A brighter more affluent future for public safety, public schools, community colleges, public hospitals, etc. is at risk here by Fort Worth taking an approach of regionalism that has been proven to be vastly uneven for itself.  Amazon will change the economic landscape for whatever city it selects and concerning ourselves with ecumenical regionalism is a sure way miss the important dividends simply because you took one for the "Region".

As I have come to see far too late, DFW is not a city; it is a brand.   Brands do not build roads, schools, hospitals or all the things that we in Fort Worth want and need.

#120 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Has "regional effort" been good for Fort Worth so far ? Well it has been good for the Metroplex . Look at the Fortune 500 in the Fort Worth Dallas area. And other "notable companies"  P.S. Take away D.R. Horton and XTO. https://en.wikipedia...Worth_metroplex

The list seems mostly to be the names of companies that originated in North Texas.  What is important in this discussion is the possibility of a major relocation or establishment of a company new to North Texas.  Metroplex or DFW are brands and we in Fort Worth continue not understand the ramifications.

I live in Fort Worth.; not DFW.  It is impossible for anyone to actually live in DFW unless you live simultaneously in Fort Worth and in Dallas.

#121 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Contact your Council Person and ask him or her will Fort Worth submit its own portfolio in answer to Amazon;s RFP.  Suggest P.I.

#122 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

Any proposal Fort Worth sends with Dallas will be seen as a Dallas proposal. Fort Worth would be much better off submitting its own proposal despite Amazon's request for one proposal per metro area.

Fort Worth used to anchor its own metro area, and is by far the largest U.S. city to not anchor its own census-defined metro area.

IMO, Fort Worth ought to be considered its own metro area.

-Dylan

#123 NSFW

NSFW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Bike riding, Trinity Trails, food, supporting local business. Buy Local!

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:06 AM

It would take years for Dallas to clear enough land for an Amazon Campus and cost a fortune.

I think the biggest threat to Fort Worth will be Irving/las Colinas. Drove past there over the weekend. They have the airport nearby, rail transit, freeway access and a mayor willing to offer incentives.

Mayor Price needs to take out a two page ad in the Seattle newspaper promoting Fort Worth, Panther Island, the cost of living, population density, college and universities, Trinity Trails, area lakes, shopping, sports teams and events, and proximity to DFW airport.

A Twitter and Instagram campaign with hastags #amazon #amazonhq2 with photos of Fort Worth would be a great thing to do also.

Adrian

#124 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Does anyone know if the parking lots along the ITC are available?  Many suggestions are being made about sites whose availability is unknown.   There is probably no harm to make these suggestions other than in their current state, they are inconsequential.

That question could be raised about any of the suggested sites, including Panther Island/TRV. 

I don't recall all the mechanics of the arrangement, but PI is full speed ahead regardless of funding. Tarrant Regional Water District has massive financial resources (why do you think the west side gang fought so hard to keep control?) and has been paying the bills for PI in anticipation of being repaid when federal funds and/or TIF money is available.

I appreciate this response. I've heard rumblings that the city would similarly dedicate resources to completing the project if federal funding didn't come together.

That's a big stretch. The CCPD 1/2 cent sales tax diverts ~$90 mil a year. The proposed 1 cent property tax diversion for transit is ~$6 mil per year. Panther Island completion still needs on the order of half a billion dollars. I don't see where that comes from.

#125 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:27 AM

Word on the street is Fort Worth has been told to not even bother submitting a bid due to lack of transit.

Thanks Mayor Mike! You really showed those Feds!

Thanks also to our current council for re-upping the CCPD and the funding of the prison industrial complex.

#126 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

Word on the street is Fort Worth has been told to not even bother submitting a bid due to lack of transit.

Thanks Mayor Mike! You really showed those Feds!

Thanks also to our current council for re-upping the CCPD and the funding of the prison industrial complex.

Word on the street is Fort Worth has been told to not even bother submitting a bid due to lack of transit......Thanks Mayor Mike! You really showed those Feds!....Thanks also to our current council for re-upping the CCPD and the funding of the prison industrial complex.

I strongly suspect that the "word on the street" is an attempt by the competition to discourage us.  I don't for one minute believe that Amazon would behave in such a manner.  Amazon has been emphatic about dispelling rampant speculation about who is in and who is out. - Don't believe fake news.  Factor in that Fort Worth (Alliance) is the location of two Amazon Fulfillment Centers.

Forbes.com has a short but insightful take on what Amazon may be seeking; it sounds like Fort Worth is as close of a match as any number of other cities.  I think Austin, Texas is a real contender accept it has become a notoriously congestive and expensive place to live.  Fort Worth has the Land and is very affordable.

https://www.forbes.c...2/#183fd2b23982

#127 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

It would take years for Dallas to clear enough land for an Amazon Campus and cost a fortune.

I think the biggest threat to Fort Worth will be Irving/las Colinas. Drove past there over the weekend. They have the airport nearby, rail transit, freeway access and a mayor willing to offer incentives.

Mayor Price needs to take out a two page ad in the Seattle newspaper promoting Fort Worth, Panther Island, the cost of living, population density, college and universities, Trinity Trails, area lakes, shopping, sports teams and events, and proximity to DFW airport.

A Twitter and Instagram campaign with hastags #amazon #amazonhq2 with photos of Fort Worth would be a great thing to do also.

No. She needs to lead a delegation to AH-Seattle like her "so called partner" has already done.

Southwest Airlines has 1 non-stop flight daily to Seattle; American Airlines has 9-10 flights daily to Seattle.  If the Mayor of Dallas can catch a flight, presumably out of Love Field to Seattle as a V.I.P. then Mayor Price could take a flight on Fort Worth's airline as a V.I.P too.  What is she waiting for - Permission?

#128 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Any proposal Fort Worth sends with Dallas will be seen as a Dallas proposal. Fort Worth would be much better off submitting its own proposal despite Amazon's request for one proposal per metro area.

Fort Worth used to anchor its own metro area, and is by far the largest U.S. city to not anchor its own census-defined metro area.

IMO, Fort Worth ought to be considered its own metro area.

Well apparently Frisco didn't get that memo because they've already produced a video including Jerry Jones touting Frisco. There's your regional effort.

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#129 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

Another take on the regional effort.

https://www.dmagazin...out-fort-worth/

#130 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

1. As I posted earlier in the thread, I'm a fan of the regional effort......

2. Any proposal Fort Worth sends with Dallas will be seen as a Dallas proposal. Fort Worth would be much better off submitting its own proposal despite Amazon's request for one proposal per metro area.....

3. Well apparently Frisco didn't get that memo because they've already produced a video including Jerry Jones touting Frisco. There's your regional effort.

1. Regionalism, as I suggested, is a cloak for covering up through motives.  Being a fan of it is at your on peril.

2.  Yes Sir!

3. See #1 -  Frisco, Texas "what a naked show of greed". Does Frisco even know that it is the poster child for suburb - Frisco will not get it because of what it is. The pen up rage that Dallas already has for Frisco and its siblings is and will be seismic should the Collin County bandits rob Dallas of yet another high profile corporate relocation.

#131 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Another take on the regional effort.....

I don't view this as an example of regional effort, but an example of interests in Fort Worth seeing the need to promote the City in the absence of real leadership coming from our City Council.

I believe the feeling is growing that the Mayor is not doing enough to make a case to Amazon.  She and the Council have inexplicably forgotten that there is no DFW without Fort Worth ceding it to Dallas and now Frisco.  Why wont the M/CC make a statement(s) to reassure us that a legitimate effort is underway to promote Fort Worth to Amazon.

My only hope and a plausible explanation is that Fort Worth is quietly working its connectivity via Amazon's two Fulfillment Centers in the Alliance Area.

God, I hope so.

#132 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Another take on the regional effort.

https://www.dmagazin...out-fort-worth/

Great piece, but does he really not understand that Amon Carter carried a sack lunch to Dallas because he didn't want to spend money there? Is there some kind of sarcasm I'm missing?

#133 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

Great piece, but does he really not understand that Amon Carter carried a sack lunch to Dallas because he didn't want to spend money there? Is there some kind of sarcasm I'm missing?

I think it is the longtime coming "Shout out" for the City in Dallas media.

#134 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

1. Regionalism, as I suggested, is a cloak for covering up through motives.  Being a fan of it is at your on peril.

I'll watch my back.

• JBB likes this

#135 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'll watch my back.

"No need to; you are among friends" :) .

#136 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

"No need to; you are among friends" :) .

You'd better keep an eye on him.  :glare:

My blog: Doohickie

#137 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

"No need to Hannerhan; you are among friends" :) .

You'd better keep an eye on him.  :glare:

I think he can be saved. :)

#138 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

Fort Worth chamber asking to watch tonight on FOX 4, at 9 and 10 PM. About HQ2 

https://twitter.com/FTWChamber

#139 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

Fort Worth chamber asking to watch tonight on FOX 4, at 9 and 10 PM. About HQ2 ....

I betcha what we write and talk about here on The Forum is read and gets consideration from a broader forum than ours. :)

#140 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

If an East Coast site is chosen, I think Baltimore should not be overlooked.  Baltimore has a similar development in its core that is ready and prepared for a corporate campus and is very similar to P.I. -

http://data.baltimor...port-covington/

#141 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

Here's the FOX 4 story referenced earlier: http://www.fox4news....nd-headquarters

Brandom Gengelbach: "That's not something that one area can handle. That's something the entire region needs to be behind."

With that kind of mentality, Fort Worth never get another large company headquarters!

-Dylan

#142 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

Brandom Gengelbach: "That's not something that one area can handle. That's something the entire region needs to be behind."....With that kind of mentality, Fort Worth never get another large company headquarters!

If we settle for the regional approach by joining in with suburbs and Dallas, Fort Worth will be go down with their leaking ship.  

Only two cities among North Texas have a bonafide downtown; but only one has a ready and sufficient piece of land for new development in the scope that Amazon is seeking.  A city can develop transit; it can not manufacture land.  If you are inadequate in the essential resource, land, than you turn to regionalism to increase your chances. Kudos to Mayor Rawlings who quickly identified his city's shortcomings and continues to hook Mayor Price with the sweet opioid of regionalism.  Why can't Fort Worth seem to end its dependency on Dallas? Why not Fort Worth first?

Gengelbach, Mayor Price and CoC are all subjects of a region which has no problem designating Fort Worth as the backup quarterback; and not the starter - "Dallas Fort Worth Airport is routinely referred to as Dallas Airport" or the Cowboys play home games in Dallas, instead of Arlington...or Texas Rangers from Dallas; enough to make you want to puke.

How much does each city within the region, and all cities within the region are beneficiaries, have to pay as their share of incentives sought by Amazon, Mr. Gengelbach; and should Fort Worth help foot that bill for Frisco?.... Dallas?....Irving? should either is chosen by Amazon.

Fort Worth is still waiting for its share from the regional get of State Farms and Toyota.

#143 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

I was talking with a friend in the IT business and I told him I thought Amazon would go to Denver or somewhere on the front range. He said he thinks it will be Boston. So we have a friendly bet to see who comes the closest geographically.

He did bring up some points I hadn't thought of. He said Amazon already knows where they want to go and wrote the RFP to meet their choice. He thinks opening up nationwide for RFP's is a way to secure concessions from their choice with every place making offers and there is always the outside chance someone will make an offer too good to refuse.

As to Fort Worth making a separate offer, the RFP asks for one proposal per MSA. Could be like a high school test, if you don't follow the rules you fail.

#144 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

If we follow the rules, we fail anyway. We won't get serious consideration being part of a Dallas proposal.

That said, I'm concerned we won't receive serious consideration anyway (or haven't received, if your friend is right). The Mercantile area is the only large plot of land we have near a rail station. If transit is a serious priority, TEX Rail's frequency may be too weak. We've got several blocks for high-rises downtown, but the TRE isn't much better.

-Dylan

#145 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:59 AM

.... Amazon already knows where they want to go and wrote the RFP to meet their choice. He thinks opening up nationwide for RFP's is a way to secure concessions from their choice with every place making offers and there is always the outside chance someone will make an offer too good to refuse.....

That is the way I have begun to think about it too.  Amazon will take the best deal regardless of multiple offers within a MSA.  The regional approach that North Texas is so wedded to is simply weaker players in North Texas hoping to be relevant.  A corporate campus development requires one thing - land and plenty of it. 

If you don't have land, then you don't have a realistic shot at the relocation.  Again, transit can be manufactured in a relatively short time; but land has to be acquired and takes years to put together simply because of the many sellers and their individual price points.

#146 BedfordLawyer

BedfordLawyer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

I agree with the comment that Amazon is playing multiple cities against each other but has one or maybe two desired locations already in mind. I do not think Fort Worth, or anywhere in north Texas, is on the real short list. Amazon likely picks a city destined to grow in the future rather than a metro area that is already expensive and well developed, a likely decision for many expanding businesses.

The Kielich Law Firm

2205 Martin Dr #200

Bedford, TX 76021

#147 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

#1....I agree with the comment that Amazon is playing multiple cities against each other but has one or maybe two desired locations already in mind....#2.... I do not think Fort Worth, or anywhere in north Texas, is on the real short list....#3... Amazon likely picks a city destined to grow in the future rather than a metro area that is already expensive and well developed, a likely decision for many expanding businesses.

#1 - It is hard to imagine that Amazon would go through such a process of playing multiple cities against each other when a lot of civic pride and resources are being put on the line.  After the final selection is made, every city will reevaluate why it did not get Amazon. If there is information supporting the fact that a decision had already been made and the unlikelihood that that information will remain a secret will draw a lot of criticism and anger towards Amazon given that cities had gone through the RFP with the false impression that they were viable candidates.

#2. -  Including Fort Worth in the North Texas boat will, yes, not get it on the short list; but I think that alone, Fort Worth should be on the short list. Austin, Texas is the other city that I think is worth of being on the short list.

#3. -  There are few if any 1,000,000 plus metro areas that are not already expensive to live in and growing; it is a relative factor.

#148 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

This is the first official mention that I've seen about Panther Island as a possible location:

http://www.star-tele...e175681491.html

#149 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

This is the first official mention that I've seen about Panther Island as a possible location:

So, city council. About that streetcar . . . 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#150 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:16 PM

So, city council. About that streetcar . . . 

Thank you Mayor Mike for saving us from that tyranny and sending that money right back to those Feds!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users