15 replies to this topic

#1 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

I drove by the other day b/c I could tell they were doing work over there when driving by on 30. Looks like they are wrapping a building on the north and eastern side of the parking garage they built a few years back. I went looking on their website and found the plans but a flyover animation.

http://linktothefutu...id=13&Itemid=39

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:10 PM

I noticed the trailers a few weeks ago, and then I noticed a crane. Shortly thereafter, I saw some of the steel being erected. Thurman, thanks for posting the link to the flyover.

#3 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:30 PM

I noticed the trailers a few weeks ago, and then I noticed a crane. Shortly thereafter, I saw some of the steel being erected. Thurman, thanks for posting the link to the flyover.

Looks as though they are at it again, this time buying up neighboring homes to put in surface parking:

http://dfw.cbslocal....ch-parking-lot/

I think the porous paving being proposed is a great idea, and probably should be required for all new surface parking installations where realistic projections show that the spaces will only be filled 20 percent of the time, like stadiums or even school remote lots. Maybe new churches should be completely restricted from residential areas via zoning regulations, and be required to locate in commercial areas where they could share parking with uses that are complementary in terms of times of use, i.e. stores that are closed or not crowded when church services are scheduled.

#4 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I must admit to being frustrated that they have employed cops to stop traffic so that 2 people can cross the street, or that their shuttle bus doesn't have to wait to make a turn.

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think the porous paving being proposed is a great idea, and probably should be required for all new surface parking installations where realistic projections show that the spaces will only be filled 20 percent of the time, like stadiums or even school remote lots.

I agree. I've seen it used in Europe and it's awesome. I think it makes a lot of sense in Texas where droughts kill the grass and downpours make fields muddy. Get a good surface for driving on so cars don't get stuck, let it go natural when need be.

Maybe new churches should be completely restricted from residential areas via zoning regulations, and be required to locate in commercial areas where they could share parking with uses that are complementary in terms of times of use, i.e. stores that are closed or not crowded when church services are scheduled.

With that, though, I strongly disagree. Maybe once you get to a certain church size, this makes sense, but the vast majority of churches are much smaller, in the 100-200 member range, and they actually are good neighbors in residential areas, in much the same way elementary schools are.
My blog: Doohickie

#6 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Just curious, if a house gets bought by a church & razed for surface parking, does this take it off the tax rolls? Or does it reduce the amount of property tax the city & other taxing entities can collect from the property?

#7 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yes, it takes the building off the tax rolls and adds it as church use property.
My blog: Doohickie

#8 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Latest article on the Christ Chapel expansion:
http://www.fwweekly....ng-bout-chapel/

It's unfortunate that the commentary in discussions like this always seems to be slanted one way or another. The author compares the church's grass parking to a Wal-Mart coming into the neighborhood, which is beyond a stretch. There are also some major facts that are wrong, like the author's implication that Christ Chapel has one big service on Sundays instead of several, when he could have just looked on their website (or God forbid, attend a service while researching the article) and he would have seen that there are 3 Sunday services to spread things out.

Thousands of people want to attend the church on Sundays, so the church spent millions to build a parking garage and is creating environmentally friendly parking lots now. Church employees go out every Sunday morning and drop "no parking" cones on the street for blocks around the church just to make sure people get the message. And yet the neighbors are still pissed. I'm sorry but it just seems to me that the church has done what they could. The neighbors should take a trip on Sunday morning over to Dallas to Highland Park United Methodist or one of those churches, where parishoners fill up the on-street parking for 5 blocks in every direction, and maybe they would change their tune. Or maybe not...people do love to gripe.

#9 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Reminds me of the showdown between Travis Avenue Baptist Church and its neighbors on the Southside during Travis's growth spurt in the 1980's. At the time, and as a Travis member who lived far from the church, I couldn't imagine why the neighbors would be so against having a growing church in their midst that happened to need a few sacrificial real estate deals to build a big new parking lot. Now that I'm older, hopefully wiser, certainly more cynical, and a property owner, I would be very against a big church encroaching on my neighborhood and I would fight it all the way to the City Council. Building complexes on that scale should not be in residential neighborhoods anyway, in my opinion. Since this church is already built, they should offer to build some vertical garden structures that would physically (and beautifully) separate it from its residential neighbors. See Design Warrior:

From Design Warrior

#10 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

... Since this church is already built, they should offer to build some vertical garden structures that would physically (and beautifully) separate it from its residential neighbors. See Design Warrior:

VERY cool sculpture/painting recreation! At a minimum the church should dedicate some sort of greenbelt on the side of its property facing residences; but given the way their property has already been developed this would be at the expense of parking, the main bone of contention with residents. Converting all the remote parking used only once a week to ports design would be a good move, IMO. The way I understand the issue only the new parking is scheduled for this treatment.

As regards the appropriateness of churches in neighborhoods: Residential zoning should be restricted to residential. Churches, synagogues, etc. are not residential, also banks, shops, and auto garages. In a secular environment churches, especially the massive organizations like the one in question, are corporations; businesses with a mission (pun intended). They should be allowed in areas set aside for businesses. Mixed use zoning presents an exception to the above, in my view.

#11 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

TCU is purchasing homes and converting them to parking lots at a much greater rate than Christ Chapel, and I don't see a huge outcry, nor a front page expose in the Weekly. Perhaps Christ Chapel should field a football team and then all would be forgiven? (pun intended) :lol:

#12 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

TCU is purchasing homes and converting them to parking lots at a much greater rate than Christ Chapel, and I don't see a huge outcry, nor a front page expose in the Weekly. Perhaps Christ Chapel should field a football team and then all would be forgiven? (pun intended) :lol:

Ha. Excellent point too.

#13 mmiller2002

mmiller2002

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Interests:Born 1959
    HS Grad 1977
    1982 BSEE Penn State

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

There was a lot of neighborhood action when the osteopathic hospital/school was eating up houses in north hi mount. Institutions can't help themselves.

#14 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:40 PM

Snapped a quick photo of Christ Chapel Fort Worth on my way back from Airfield Falls this evening. 

(Also posting this photo in the Paradox Church thread as an example for that project...same architect, Scott Martsolf)

8flTXIh.jpg

#15 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:33 PM

TCU is purchasing homes and converting them to parking lots at a much greater rate than Christ Chapel, and I don't see a huge outcry, nor a front page expose in the Weekly. Perhaps Christ Chapel should field a football team and then all would be forgiven? (pun intended) laugh.gif

Nah, I think people in neighborhoods near TCU have been dismayed by the university's removal of houses in favor of surface parking lots. 

#16 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,868 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 06 October 2023 - 10:51 AM

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2024002559

PROJECT
Project Name: Christ Chapel Bible Church - Campus Updates
Project Number: TABS2024002559
Facility Name: Christ Chapel Bible Church
Location Address: 3740 Birchman Ave
Fort Worth, TX 76107
Location County: Tarrant
Start Date: 11/1/2023
Completion Date: 8/1/2024
Estimated Cost: $4,250,000
Type of Work: Additions to Existing Building
Type of Funds: This project is privately funded, on private land for private use.
Scope of Work: New stair and elevator tower addition and various interior renovations throughout existing buildings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users