• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 25 August 2004 - 11:20 PM

Here is a new acquisition of mine. I think it is one of the more attractive vintage postcard layouts I have seen. I especially like the ornamental shapes drawn around the pictures - very 1920s.

Posted Image

The post card was issued sometime in the early 1920s. The descriptive text on the back says:

"The best bath house in the city and one of the best in the South. Well ventilated and equipped to give any kind of baths. The most elegant place in the city. Perfect in sanitation. Your inspection appreciated. J.B. Thomas, Mgr."

I have been interested in Mineral Wells history for a while and this postcard was the first time I have heard about The Buck Head. Unfortunately, I am unable to find anything about it on the Internet or in what reference material I have. I have no idea exactly where it was located or if the building still stands.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#2 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 26 August 2004 - 07:06 AM

Dismuke,
Guess I never heard where you got your "name", but this link to Edward and the mineral water must be it.
http://www.wf.net/~f.../historyall.htm

#3 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 27 August 2004 - 12:12 AM

Dismuke,
Guess I never heard where you got your "name", but this link to Edward and the mineral water must be it.
http://www.wf.net/~f.../historyall.htm

Actually, Doug, good old Edward was merely a polynominal who used "Dismuke" as his surname. I am mononominal - which means that I have but one name: Dismuke.

As to the story behind my name - well, I guess I can share that with everyone here. That is, if I can manage to choke back the sad tears of self-pity long enough to do so.

You see, all my entire life, people have always commented on the fact that I have a strange name and have made fun of me because of it. Even my own parents poked fun of my name - and they were the ones who gave it to me. I once asked them why they gave me the name if they thought it was so ridiculous and funny. They said that it was because the next door neighbors dared them $25. I think they ended up regretting that dare because the $25 didn't last very long and they spent my entire childhood having to endure all of the questions and comments people made about it. It got to the point that, whenever company came over, they would tell me to go run and hide. I can't tell you how many evenings I was sent to my room with nothing to eat other than a bowl of salt and a glass of vinegar. Needless to say, I was a very skinny child.

Now, my parents never made fun of my evil brother. His name was Fyzicle and he was a classic juvenile delinquent. Fyzicle used to hang out with a crowd of losers who were into such things as drugs, shoplifting, skipping school and rock music. There were a number of occasions when I would return home from school only to find Fyzicle and his worthless gang of friends out on the front yard playing Frisbee with my 78 rpm records. My parents clearly liked Fyzicle better than me - and I suspect that it was on account of my strange name.

As pathetic as my home life was, school was even worse. For years, I was tormented and picked on by the school bully. He was the toughest kid in the whole school. His name was Percival Periwinkle. Everyone was afraid of Percy. He was especially mean towards me. He not only made fun of the fact that I had but one name - he said that only a sissy would have a name like "Dismuke."

Nor was I very successful with the girls. In fact, they wanted nothing to do with me. Except for one. Her name was Frumptygump. That girl thought the world of me - that is until Fyzicle told her about the time that I wet the bed. I tried to explain to her that I was but five years old when it happened. But she wouldn't listen. She just looked at me and said that I had a strange name. Not long after that, she dropped out of high school in order to marry a 53 year old member of a motorcycle gang.

Fyzicle dropped out of school too. Soon afterwards he went to jail - but only after he tried to tell the judge that he was a victim of mistaken identity and that I was Fyzicle and he was Dismuke. The judge bought into it, largely on the say-so of my parents. The only thing that prevented me from being sent up the river was the fact that, just as they were about to take me away, the judge caught Fyzicle trying to lift his watch.

Thus you now know about the torment that I have been through just because I am mononominal and people think I have a strange name. And while I do believe that we live in a cruel society where people are judged by their names and not their character and I feel that I am a victim of the namist, monophobic polynomical bigotry that is so pervasive throughout our society, I do not seek any handouts or reparations. Just pity. :smwink:
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#4 Doug

Doug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth<br>Tennis

Posted 27 August 2004 - 06:21 AM

Thanks, Dismuke, I knew there had to be a simple explanation. :smwink:

#5 normanfd

normanfd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 August 2004 - 04:13 PM

Dismuke, I'm glad you clarified that. I always just assumed you were a retired Brazilian athlete.

#6 mosteijn

mosteijn

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Swimming, Soccer, Spanish

Posted 29 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

Wow, Dismuke is your real name? I always thought it was just your username, and I always wondered how you thought it up. I personally think it's cool and original, screw those people that made fun of you in your childhood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users