2 replies to this topic

#1 Now in Denton

Now in Denton

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:43 PM

I am always one who would love to one up on Dallas. But Dallas pension fund is not one of them for several reasons. And boy oh boy Dallas has a mega mess on it's hands.

But I am asking about this topic for a simple question. How is the Fort Worth Police and Fire pension fund doing ? It is one thing for national media to think Dallas is the only city in Texas. But my frustration spills into our local media as well. Joining several Fort Worth city groups on facebook don't give me answers. Local news outlets love to covers Dallas issues. And if I did call city hall. Or go before the city council. Would I get the flowerly statement approved by lawyers ? Or a real answer a investigative reporter can only do ?  

I understand  a big story will always trump other stories but. But It is like Fort Worth issues has to be on fire to be mentioned in local media. I do remember the pension fund in Fort Worth was covered by the media a while ago. But I think it was more about city employees fund. Are they separate from Fire and Police ? But would it kill Channel 5 and 11 to update Fort Worth citizens on our city employee Police and Fire pension fund ?

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:18 PM

Some discussion here including a Star Telegram story from last weekend:

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=6219

Fort Worth is still dealing with a significant unfunded liability but the situation has improved.  FW is not dealing with the DROP issues that Dallas is fighting because their program is more tightly restricted.  As for the lack of coverage, the situation in Fort Worth isn't as dire as what Dallas is currently facing.  Threats of lawsuits, drastically restricting access to funds, and the possibility of the system running dry in a little more than a decade is a little more dramatic than a planned joint meeting of the pension board and city council in 6 weeks.

#3 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

The pension fund has always been a priority of Betsy Price.  I've heard her discuss it all the way back in her original mayoral campaign.  It's not something that will mushroom out of control if there's anything she can do about it.

My blog: Doohickie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users