John T Roberts's Content

There have been 581 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 30-March 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#149267 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 19 November 2023 - 05:36 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

Austin, you were really out and about on Saturday.  I have been working this weekend, so that's why I haven't been posting as much.

#149168 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 November 2023 - 07:12 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

There are a lot of photo opportunities in Downtown Big D.  It's a fun place to take pictures.

#149501 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 December 2023 - 07:38 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

It was a nice day for photography and it looks like you really captured the fall colors.

#150478 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 28 January 2024 - 09:14 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

It was a beautiful day.

#151471 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 23 March 2024 - 07:26 AM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

The river looks great.  I see you caught some of the wildflowers in bloom.  Did you see any blue bonnets?  A little further to the southwest, they used to grow along the trail.  However, with the construction of the widening of the trail down that way, they may have been disturbed.

#151213 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 March 2024 - 06:31 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

You're welcome, Ramjet.  I enjoyed giving the tour.  We had a good group. 

I agree with you about the juxtaposition of architectural styles when looking up.  You took some very nice photos today.

#148685 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 October 2023 - 06:07 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

I went to the first Fall Fest at Pioneer's Rest Cemetery this afternoon.  I didn't take very many pictures out of respect to our lost pioneers.  In the spring, I took a photograph of the gates, and today I took a photograph of General Edward Tarrant's tombstone.

53261042696_cd975ca518_k.jpgpioneersrest by jtrobert, on Flickr

53261394624_d263e08c1c_k.jpgtarrantgrave by jtrobert, on Flickr

#149119 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 November 2023 - 08:20 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

Both of those signs are new.  The new all capital letters Sheraton sign replaced the older upper and lower case Sheraton signs that were on the buildings.  The Sheraton signs were replaced as they upgraded each facade on their buildings.  I had not seen the Guaranty Bank sign until tonight.  However, I was Downtown today for the DDRB Hearing.

#147704 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 August 2023 - 09:38 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

Nice!

#151531 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 27 March 2024 - 02:57 PM in Commercial

I'm glad they are starting to wrap up this project.  The building looks so much better with most of the missing terra cotta replaced. 

#148742 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 October 2023 - 08:07 AM in Commercial

This move, even though it may be temporary is so ironic.  Reata opened their first Fort Worth location in the top of the Bank One Tower (now, The Tower), it was hit by the tornado, the building shut down, and then Reata moved to Sundance.  Now they are moving back to the first floor of the building where they started here, even if it is temporary.

The old Cantina Laredo is a nice space.  Since the building has changed ownership and our last project is dead, I guess I can spill the beans.  The previous owner hired my firm to measure the old Cantina Laredo Restaurant and we were working toward gutting it and putting in a DGX Store in that space.  If you don't know, DGX is an "urban" Dollar General store. 

#151322 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 March 2024 - 09:14 PM in Public & Institutional

Burnett Plaza is a product of its time.  By the way, in the winter at night when it is outlined, I can see it through the trees from my front yard.

#151325 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 March 2024 - 07:48 AM in Public & Institutional

There are many locations along the north-south streets where you can see the skyline.  I've seen the skyline change over the years from all of these streets, since I grew up in the area.

#151193 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 March 2024 - 01:30 PM in Public & Institutional

Austin, you have been doing a lot of reading.

#149556 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 December 2023 - 08:07 PM in Public & Institutional

I have not seen it, either.  Maybe, I will get up there this weekend.

As for the Paddock Viaduct/Main Street Bridge, after looking at old photographs and maps, I'm pretty sure that before the power plant expanded, the bridge had pedestrian access from Downtown to North Fort Worth (Northside).  Those stairs went down to the Power Plant, which sat at North Main and NE 2nd St.  One more street apparently went under the bridge.  NW and NE 3rd ran under it between two separate spans at the very southern end of Encore Panther Island.  From really old photos, it looks like a sidewalk ran on both sides of the bridge at grade, connecting all of the streets and the stairway to the Northside.  You can see where 3rd ran under Main on Google Maps.  I remember walking down the stairway when it was open, and I could see the street pavement and curbs at the bottom of the stairs.    

#147176 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 July 2023 - 11:46 AM in Public & Institutional

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere on the forum, but the Fort Worth Report has an article on comparing the San Antonio River Walk to our Panther Island.

https://fortworthrep...for-fort-worth/

#148421 Trinity River Vision

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 October 2023 - 05:41 PM in Public & Institutional

I have been involved in several PDCs before they were as common as they are now.  They were great help to the projects.

#146799 TEXRail

Posted by John T Roberts on 28 June 2023 - 07:51 AM in Transportation

This has been my #1 complaint ever since TEXRail was opened.  If I didn't know the airport well before the rail service, and if I had not checked out riding the train, exploring what I could at Terminal B, walking over to the DART Station, checking their connection into Terminal A, and then taking the train back to Fort Worth, I probably wouldn't know what to do or where to go if I rode there to actually take a flight out.  I realize the airport wants to take advantage of the income received from passengers driving there and either entering, or leaving their vehicles, but it shouldn't be so difficult to find the trains to Fort Worth or to Dallas.  In other airports, I have never experienced such a lack of directional signage to other means of transportation.

#150208 TEXRail

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 January 2024 - 09:35 PM in Transportation

It would be fantastic if the extension to Berry was done in the time frame you say.  For the record, I would be much happier if it were extended to I-20/Granbury Rd.

#146158 TEXRail

Posted by John T Roberts on 25 May 2023 - 07:03 PM in Transportation

There's not a lot of vacant land around the Berry Street station.  The density is being increased by tearing down one story, 1,200 square foot, single family homes and building  3 story stealth dorms in their place, where allowed by zoning. 

As for the wayfinding to TEXRail, when the line first opened, I sent in a suggestion to improve wayfinding from the terminals.  On my first trip on the line, it was my sole purpose to see if I could get around DFW Airport by taking the train.  I know my way around the airport fairly well, but I did have trouble getting from the station to Terminal B and to the shuttle busses.  I also checked out the connection to DART and had to walk along sidewalks without wayfinding to get to Terminal A and to the DART Orange Line Station.

#145277 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 31 March 2023 - 01:05 PM in Commercial

The current Wendy's building is 3,198 square feet.  That's not real big for a barbecue restaurant.

#145276 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 31 March 2023 - 01:02 PM in Commercial

My guess is that the Wendy's wouldn't be large enough for that type of barbecue restaurant.  Of course, you could build an addition to it, but then you get into bringing all of the existing elements inside and on the site up to the current building codes.  If you started with a new restaurant, you could locate the building where it would be the most efficient on the site and everything would be up to the current codes. 

#147121 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 07 July 2023 - 09:45 PM in Commercial

I remember when it was an automobile dealership.  It looks like it was several different ones when I was younger.

#148182 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 September 2023 - 10:37 AM in Commercial

Not only a patchwork of parking, but also of concrete slabs where the buildings once stood. 

#146357 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 June 2023 - 01:46 PM in Commercial

I had heard of it, but I've never eaten there.  I believe the original location is in Austin, and they have another one in Dallas.