• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:24 AM

Well, we're about due for our quarterly wino... I mean wine meeting! I'll throw the floor open for date and place suggestions. Unless there are other ideas, Fridays still work out for me. I would be interested in perhaps finding a new location somewhere that would let us pass without a corkage fee. I'm sure Downtown would be most convenient, but I do know a place here in SW FW.

Feedback?? happy.gif

#2 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:08 AM

Tell me when. Tell me where. I'll be there.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#3 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:56 AM

I agree with keeping it on a Friday and in the greater DTFW area. If we do go back to Sapore we will just have to make a rule that the wine has to cost more than the corkage. smile.gif

#4 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:11 PM

I would love to go!
Seurto, you told me about it a few months ago.
My roommate and I go for wine at least once a week.
Here are a few suggestions....

-Pop's Safari
-Into the glass in Grapevine (My favorite and has great prices)
-Wine bar on Camp Bowie....can't think of the name. Used to be Ridglea and Vine

Keep me posted!

#5 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Interests:FW, TX, history, cooking, party planning/giving (Par-Tays Plus), vino! My dogs, chickens and duck!

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:46 PM

Hey, we'd love to have ya!!

I've not been to Pop's in a long, long time, but really enjoyed it. All of those sound like really great places, but can we bring our own wine in? If we could, I'd be all for Pop's or the Ridglea place; the place in Grapevine would be fine, too, but I'd need detailed instructions - it's a long way from SW FW newlaugh.gif .

Do you have an inside scoop on a BYOB in the DTFW proximity? Hey.... wait a minute; isn't Scampi's BYOB!! I'll check into it. It's on Magnolia just S of downtown in the hospital district.

#6 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:03 PM

I'd be willing to host it at my house if you guys are interested in heading up to Keller. I won't even charge a fee for corkage!

#7 angie013

angie013

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

I don't think you can BYOB at the places I mentioned. But I like a block from Scampi's and it is BYOB. That would be a great place!

#8 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:35 AM

Pops has a small private room to the left of the entry. If we bought wine from him, I bet he'd wave the corking fee.

#9 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(JulieM @ Aug 3 2006, 06:03 PM) View Post

I'd be willing to host it at my house if you guys are interested in heading up to Keller. I won't even charge a fee for corkage!

Hey, JulieM; that's very generous of you to offer, and I'm certainly happy to go along with the group. My main concern is putting you to a lot of trouble-- having this "rowdy" smilewinkgrin.gif bunch over, feeding us, etc. At least at a restaurant, no one has to do the dishes! But, really, thanks and maybe that's something we can consider.

#10 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

I'll try and talk with the lady that owns Scampi's and see if she can accomodate us. It's a relatively small place as I remember and they may be busy on Fridays, so we might need to make reservations or have a pretty firm number, something like that. I know the food is X-L-ENT there!

I do think Pop's is something to look into one day; especially if we could work out a deal on buying the wine there; you know, if we're gonna go through 5 or 6 bottles, maybe getting them at a discount or something. Anyway, it's something we can look into. If anyone has a connection with "Pop" and wants to broach the subject with him, that's great; otherwise I'll look into it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for dates? 8/11 wouldn't be the best for me, but would be doable if it's better for everyone else (wait, that's next weekend, isn't it). Maybe 8/25 or 9/1?? Any thoughts?

O, and AndyN, didn't you have a wine person you might be able to invite? Are they still interested? I'm certainly willing to critique their products! happy.gif

#11 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:56 PM

Well, I finally got around to calling Scampi's, but of course called during off hours in the middle of the day. This is what I found out over the recording however - They are BYOB but there is a $3/bottle cover charge. They are only open for dinner on Fri and Sat nights 5:30-9:30. We'll need to make reservations for sure.

I don't know that this will work well for us. So, I'm once again on the hunt. Did anyone come up with other suggestions?

Is anyone interested in seeing if someplace like Pop's would make us a deal buying the wine there? I seriously doubt it would be as inexpensive as it would be to buy our own, but if I remember right, there is a heck of a selection.

Safly - ya got any more pull with Sapora's? It's a great place, but the $15/bottle corkage was more than we can handle. Maybe a compromise? huh.gif

#12 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:20 PM

I know someone who would be obliged to put a "corkage" in that particular fee. If you all prefer Sapore's for another try. Plenty of LIVE MUSIC entertainment these days. The owner has been wisked away for now, but shall return in anticipation of our timely arrival. EXACTLY how many bottles are you guys talking about here? Let's chat it up some more for now and expect a SAPORE (DTFW's best multi-level classe dining and CHEESECAKE) visit.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#13 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Well it seems the number of bottles has always been dependent on the number of people. I think we've all enjoyed Sapore's in the past, but the last trip was just too much $$. I think we all bought dinner, too. But the location is perfect; the loft is perfect; the food is good, but $94 just to bring in the wine (which we opened outselves) is prohibitive. I'm all for trying it again if something better can be worked out!

#14 Daniel

Daniel

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Photography both as hobby and as income. Internet as income and as hobby. Music as soul bending need, but, alas, no income.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:06 AM

Look at that date, oh my, time is flying.... Mention wine and a bunch of people and you've got my attention. First visit to the forum but I'm interested... Have we got a where and when yet? For my vote I'm open to anyplace.

For my edification I sure hope the protocol is posted prior.

#15 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, we better get something together soon or we'll be in the middle of the Holiday/End of Year season. Let's see if we can get something set for the middle of Octoberish?

#16 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Sep 21 2006, 03:46 PM) View Post

Yeah, we better get something together soon or we'll be in the middle of the Holiday/End of Year season. Let's see if we can get something set for the middle of Octoberish?

OK, its after the holiday season and time to begin considering the next BMOC meeting. I suggest the Mama Mias restaurant on Belknap and Riverside. They have no liquor license yet as far as I know so bringing in wine should not be a concern. Who's in?

#17 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

I in!! (what a surprise). Tell me when and give me directions - biggrin.gif Have wine, will travel!!

#18 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:52 PM

I can do that. Lets wait until we ge a high temp above 40. tongue.gif

#19 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

OK. What's the theme? With some unplanned expenses recently and getting into a new house, I would recommend best bottles of wine found for $3.00 or less. smile.gif

Someone find Daniel and put him on alert so we can get some new faces.

#20 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Jan 17 2007, 07:36 PM) View Post

OK. What's the theme? With some unplanned expenses recently and getting into a new house, I would recommend best bottles of wine found for $3.00 or less. smile.gif

Someone find Daniel and put him on alert so we can get some new faces.

angie013, JulieM, plus all our alumni!! Can't wait to see everyone!

#21 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

Woo hoo and when?!

E is in Portland getting to know his new company. He won't be back until the 24th. We have plans the 10th and 17th....I'm so sure you want to plan around me!

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Jan 17 2007, 07:36 PM) View Post

If we go to Mama Mia's I suggest Italian. I have always heard they make LOTS of INEXPENSIVE wine. Should be a wide range to choose from.

#23 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

Gotta date in mind yet?! Next weekend? Any thoughts??

#24 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

January 27th works very well for us!

#25 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 10:15 PM

Works for me!

#26 wren

wren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Great! Count me in as well!

#27 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:01 AM

me in too.

BTW, I know of a dtfw eatery that is willing to create a private party setup for the group. Bring your wine or beer. Possibility of some homebrewers from the area may also like to join. May offer some home brewing tips and SAMPLES wub.gif to taste. The establishment can offer various foods to enjoy.
www.iheartfw.com

#28 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(JulieM @ Jan 20 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post

January 27th works very well for us!

So since that is this Saturday is it official? What time?

Pup, Andy, are you guys in?

I'm going to start looking for some Amarone. smile.gif

#29 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

It's Official!

The First Quarter 2007 Bovine Metropolis Oenocological Conclave will convene at 7:30 PM, Mama Mia's Italian Grill and Pizza, 3124 Belknap St at Riverside "6-Points Intersection" in the historic McAdams Building. Vicki recommended the time and will save tables to the right of the front door, wine glasses will be provided and available on the tables, attendees are free to bring in their favorite bottles, no alcohol is sold yet. A full menu of happy-tizers, zupa, insalate, baked pastas, veal, seafood, classic Italian dishes, chicken, is available, even wings!Prices for entres range from 4.95 for spaghetti with marinara sauce to 14.95 for the seafood combo.

Here is the FW Forum thread on the building, whew... almost lost it!

I hope that Robert Bell and Jason Miller will be in town to attend. Should be fun! ... er, I mean serious (fun)

Safly, you set up the Spring Meeting.

#30 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

Sounds great!! Can't wait to see everyone and taste their wines! biggrin.gif

#31 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Jan 22 2007, 05:48 PM) View Post

It's Official!

The First Quarter 2007 Bovine Metropolis Oenocological Conclave will convene at 7:30 PM, Mama Mia's Italian Grill and Pizza, 3124 Belknap St at Riverside "6-Points Intersection" in the historic McAdams Building. Vicki recommended the time and will save tables to the right of the front door, wine glasses will be provided and available on the tables, attendees are free to bring in their favorite bottles, no alcohol is sold yet. A full menu of happy-tizers, zupa, insalate, baked pastas, veal, seafood, classic Italian dishes, chicken, is available, even wings!Prices for entres range from 4.95 for spaghetti with marinara sauce to 14.95 for the seafood combo.

Here is the FW Forum thread on the building, whew... almost lost it!

I hope that Robert Bell and Jason Miller will be in town to attend. Should be fun! ... er, I mean serious (fun)

Safly, you set up the Spring Meeting.

You've got all the details listed except reconfirming that this is for the 27th. I can be there.

#32 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

I'm going wine shopping tomorrow (Friday, even though the time on the Forum says it's already Friday smilewink.gif ). I'm assuming we're still doing Italian. Looking forward to Saturday nite!

#33 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

I have done my wine shopping and am ready to go! I do have a midnite curfew this time.

#34 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

boo-hoo...we are going to the rodeo--- I can retain my mantle of mystery for another quarter. Ha! Hope you guys have fun...don't know if you'd appreciate my Mogan David anyway.

#35 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

Well I had a great time and I apologize for the party pooperness of my husband...should have let him leave and gotten a ride back from KP.

It was so nice to meet more of y'all and put more names with faces.

When's the next one??????

#36 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,368 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

I'm sorry that I didn't make it. There was a Dallas Legacy Conference at the Old Red Courthouse yesterday and they offered tours of the building along with Dallas History sessions. I enjoyed it and learned a lot, plus had a chance to see the restoration of the 1890 sandstone and granite Courthouse. The day ran longer than I had planned, so I didn't get a chance to attend.

I do want to put a plug in for our official First Quarter Forum Meeting on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM at the Eddleman-McFarland House. The address is 1110 Penn Street.

#37 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Jan 28 2007, 06:22 PM) View Post

I do want to put a plug in for our official First Quarter Forum Meeting on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 6:00 PM at the Eddleman-McFarland House. The address is 1110 Penn Street.

I also had a good time at the BMOC last night, and John, one of the topics we tossed around was the upcoming Forum Meet. Hope to be there.

#38 seurto

seurto

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

Saturday nite was tons of fun!! I agree, JulieM, it is always nice to put faces with names. It was great meeting both of y'all. Don't apologize for the hubby, it's totally understandable if his back was bothering him. Maybe next time he'll feel a little better.

Mamma Mia's is a great place, too. Can't wait until next quarter to see y'all again. Unless I see you at the Forum meeting 2/20!

#39 Keller Pirate

Keller Pirate

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

I agree Mamma Mia's was a great place. I am planning on returning with the Mrs. for dinner in the near future. See y'all at the fourm meet!

#40 wren

wren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:14 PM

I really had a great time Saturday night! The wine was cool, the food was tasty, and the conversations quite interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again at the next B.M.O.C. gathering. I hope to be able to attend the Forum meeting at the Eddleman-McFarland house. If so, I'll see you there.

#41 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

BUMP

Spring is springing.

I found a nice Spanish bottle of something at Central Market to share.

Who's with me?

#42 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

I'm in...

We need to add a beer tasting sect to these gatherings.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#43 Okie-JR

Okie-JR

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

I'm definitely interested. And ditto David's comment...beer works too. : )

#44 redhead

redhead

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

I'm in---if we pick a date when I'm not on the road. Sounds like interesting conversation could be in order.

#45 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

Double DITTO!

I have some good friends who placed their homebrews in the BREWFEST '08 at Irving a couple of weeks ago. They are Keller products, and have quite a passion for this hobby. They should be finishing up their summer brew right about now. So, if you guys are serious about a lil homebrew clinic or taste night, I can pull em in to our FORUM circle.

David, perhaps you know of a great place to have this event. Private residence or public area?

RAHR always works for me. happy.gif

www.iheartfw.com

#46 Bernd

Bernd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

The wife and I might be up for this, depending on scheduling of course. Wine or beer. Or both.
The future "best blog" in Fort Worth.

#47 David Love

David Love

Skyscraper Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, gothic structures, Harley Davidsons, active with Veterans Affairs. Making things out of wood and carbon fiber.

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

I'm checking....

Will post a Poll on dates and times.

Better Business Bureau:  A place to find or post valid complaints for auto delerships and maintenance facilities. (New Features) If you have a valid gripe about auto dealerships, this is the place to voice it.

#48 JulieM

JulieM

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have been having problems with kidney stones and will have another blown up this Thursday so the further out this is the better for me. I look forward to this and seeing all of you.

#49 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

Julie, hate to hear about the stones but I think the Vino will help settle the debris after the explosion.

#50 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:59 AM

Get well JM. Hope for a speedy recovery.
www.iheartfw.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users