• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

ok lets see who can top who , someone that lived here in fort worth went on to become famous , anytyhing goes ! movie star , ball player , politican , bad guy , you get the picture. as for me personal , i weent to school with gary morris country singer.lee harvey was some what famous , john denver, hoarce carswell,pete geren,, ok now lets see who can you come up with . then after each post lets vote on a scale of 1 to 10. be sure and put the candidates name then the score ...........ok you can start

#2 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

ok lets see who can top who , someone that lived here in fort worth went on to become famous , anytyhing goes ! movie star , ball player , politican , bad guy , you get the picture. as for me personal , i weent to school with gary morris country singer.lee harvey was some what famous , john denver, hoarce carswell,pete geren,, ok now lets see who can you come up with . then after each post lets vote on a scale of 1 to 10. be sure and put the candidates name then the score ...........ok you can start

#3 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:33 PM

The Chuck Wagon Gang began in 1936 on WBAP Radio. The group became world renoun, and is still going today, with family tie to the original beginning. Original Member Anna Carter Gordon Davis later became the wife of former Lousiana Governor, Jimmie Davis.

#4 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

The Chuck Wagon Gang began in 1936 on WBAP Radio. The group became world renoun, and is still going today, with family tie to the original beginning. Original Member Anna Carter Gordon Davis later became the wife of former Lousiana Governor, Jimmie Davis.

wow , i didnt know that. ive heard of them , in fact i have some of there memoriablia . i collect fort worth stuff

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

One for the hockey fans out there:

In the summer of 2000, a year after Brett Hull ripped the collective soul out of Sabres fans with a disputed goal to win the Stanley Cup, I met him in at DFW Airport. We were both waiting for our bags so I decided to talk to him. I explained I wasn't expecting to run into anyone famous and had nothing for him to sign, but would he mind signing his boarding card? He said, sure. I told him my nephew plays hockey, so could he address it to him? So he signed it, "To Matt, Good luck in hockey, Brett Hull." So now we were talking, and I finally had to ask him... "Hey, about that goal last year....?"

*Brett rolls eyes* "You know, I still catch **** for that goal! I'll be lining up for a faceoff and the other player shoulders up against me and says, 'That was no goal!' But what can I do? It went in. They called it a good goal. I can't give it back. And besides.... it won the Cup!"

Looking at it from his perspective, I really couldn't hold it against him. So I told him, "Well anyway, thanks for the autograph. I'll take it up to my nephew up in Buffalo when we visit home this summer."

He managed a wry smile.

Even though my nephew graduated college, he still has that boarding card on the wall in his old room in my brother's house in Buffalo. He has it wedged into the frame of his NO GOAL poster.....
My blog: Doohickie

#6 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

hey how about charles tandy , he ent tp paschal high school , graduated in 1935, he started tandy leather , radio schack and pier one imports.

#7 jefffwd

jefffwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Alan Bean (born 1932), astronaut
Betty Buckley (born 1947), actress
Mark David Chapman (born 1955), killed John Lennon
Kelly Clarkson (born 1982), singer, American Idol winner
Van Cliburn (born 1934), famous pianist
Ornette Coleman (born 1930), jazz musician
Kenneth Copeland (born 1936), televangelist
T-Bone Burnett (born 1948), songwriter, record producer, musician and singer
Harriet Sansom Harris (born 1955), actress, currently on TV hit Desperate Housewives
Larry Hagman (born 1931), actor, son of actress Mary Martin
Kirk Franklin (born 1970), famous gospel singer and producer
Rod Roddy (1937–2003), television announcer on The Price is Right
John Roderick (born 1944), professional football player
Johnny Rutherford (born 1938), race car driver
Bob Schieffer (born 1937), journalist, CBS Evening News anchor and Face the Nation host
Lisa Whelchel (born 1963), actress, played in TV sit-com The Facts of Life

#8 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

wow !!!!!!!! i didnt know all those people were born here.

#9 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

how about the bass brothers , and amon carter wasnt born here but he was mr. fort worth !!!!!!!!

#10 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

In high school I took drama, mainly so I wouldn't have to take senior English. One of my classmates was Harriet Harris (later to bcome known as Harriet Sansom Harris because someone else was already Harriet Harris), best known for her role as Bebe Glazer on Frasier. Had he taken the same class a year earlier, another of my classmates would have been Bill Paxton.

#11 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

I don't recall if I've mentioned it here before, but when I was in Arlingtoh Heights High School, one of my fellow schoolmates, who also went with the same church youth group I did, was John Deutschendorf. He was shy and a relative unknown then; you now know him as the late & great John Denver.

#12 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

what year did john denver go to heights ?

#13 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:37 AM

what year did john denver go to heights ?

1958-1961

#14 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

how about lee harvey oswalt , didnt he go to heights to ?

#15 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

He did, but only for a really short time. He started tenth grade in September 1956 and dropped out before the month was over to become one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

#16 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

He did, but only for a really short time. He started tenth grade in September 1956 and dropped out before the month was over to become one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

#17 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

i have a lot of old year books heights and paschal , but not a 56 heights !darn

#18 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

Oswald would be in the 1957 Yellow Jacket, not 1956, but he's not even in that one, most likely dropping out before class pictures were taken.

#19 Chuck Wagon Gang

Chuck Wagon Gang

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:26 AM

wow , i didnt know that. ive heard of them , in fact i have some of there memoriablia . i collect fort worth stuff

Detail Larry, I am a former stage member of the Chuck Wagon Gang, no longer performing, but work for them. I am working on a Documentary DVD on their 75 years. Would you contact me. I would like to know more about what memorabilia you may have on them. my phone number is 817-944-2538. You may email me chuckwagongang@comcast.net. Thanks.

#20 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Janine Turner, of Nebraska, of the weirdly wonderful Northern Exposure from the '90's, claims Fort Worth as home. As does Alice Walton in all the billionaire lists (according to Forbes she's like the 14th richest person on the planet). I understand though that both of them actually live on ranches outside of Fort Worth. The Julie Newmar Catwoman and Spanky also called either Fort Worth (or somewhere in Tarrant County) home at the time of their trip to meet Jeebus.

#21 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Janine Turner, of Nebraska, of the weirdly wonderful Northern Exposure from the '90's, claims Fort Worth as home. As does Alice Walton in all the billionaire lists (according to Forbes she's like the 14th richest person on the planet). I understand though that both of them actually live on ranches outside of Fort Worth. The Julie Newmar Catwoman and Spanky also called either Fort Worth (or somewhere in Tarrant County) home at the time of their trip to meet Jeebus.

Barry Corbin, also late of Northern Exposure, lives in Handley.

#22 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

wow , there are lots of famous people here

#23 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

George Polk, namesake of the George Polk Awards.

#24 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Actor Morgan Woodward, probably best known for two Star Trek appearences as different characters. S-T had an article a few years ago about him and his brothers, something about returning to visit the family home in Arlington. He was born in FW, though.

#25 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

wow,theres lots of famous people from here. this was a fun post . i wish i could still post on this site , i have lots of interesting things that would be fun to kick around.

#26 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Fess Parker (b. 1925) Actor/Disney "Daniel Boone"

#27 Cowtown Mike

Cowtown Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I always remember actor Morgan Woodard from his part as "man with no eyes" mirror sunglasses from Cool Hand Luke and also Punk Anderson in the T.V. series Dallas.

#28 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

i wish i could still post on this site , i have lots of interesting things that would be fun to kick around.

Uh, isn't that what you just did?

#29 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

oh i can reply to a post, but if i try to start a new post , the moderator wont put it in history , he puts it in photos. so i assume he doesnt want any of my post , which is ok , its his site. i still have fun reading yalls post.

#30 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Here are a few that occur to me off the top of my head:

Movie star and dancer Ginger Rogers. She went to high school in Fort Worth where her mother was a theater critic for the Fort Worth Record. Her big break came in the mid 1920s when she won a local Charleston contest.

Bandleader, crooner, radio star, movie star Smith Ballew. He had a band here in Fort Worth circa 1926 called the Texajazzers. My understanding is that his band performed at the opening of the new Fort Worth Club building and that it had an ongoing engagement there. By 1928 he had left Fort Worth and was playing with the then-famous Ben Pollack band in Chicago. A year later he was in New York City with his own band which typically played at posh, high end venues and built up a big local following. He is best remembered, however, as one of the early "crooners." Ballew did a lot of studio work for the various record labels that were based in New York. In those days, the music business was still dominated by Tin Pan Alley music publishers. When a song became a hit, pretty much every band of the era performed it and every record label put out a version by one of their own artists. In addition to the major labels, there were a lot of bargain priced labels sold in places like dime stores which, instead of featuring famous big name artists, used studio musicians with the artist credit going to a made up pseudonym. Those studio bands often featured some of the best jazz talent of the day. Ballew recorded many hundreds of vocals for such "no name" recording sessions. Tune in to Radio Dismuke or play through a stack of early 1930s popular dance band records and you will very quickly become familiar with his voice. By the mid 1930s he replaced Al Jolson as host of the Shell Chateau network radio program. He then went on to Hollywood where he starred as a "singing cowboy" in a number of B Western movies. By the 1950s, his show business career was in decline and he moved back to Fort Worth where he worked for a number of years at Convair (now Lockheed Martin).

Vocalist,Lee Morse Morse was a 1920s era female vocalist with a unusually deep voice and an extremely unique vocal style. She landed the starring role in the Broadway production of "Simple Simon." But just before the show opened she was fired because of her problems with alcohol and was replaced by Ruth Etting. Etting went on to have a huge hit with her performance of the song "Ten Cents A Dance" in the production - a hit that might well have otherwise gone to Morse. In the early 1930s a throat illness forced her to retire and move in with family in Gainsville. She was told she would never sing again. But she soon recovered and sought to start up her career again in nearby Fort Worth/Dallas. She had a long term and successful engagement at the Sylvan Club which was on old Highway 80 somewhere between Fort Worth and Arlington until the club burned down. She performed on occasion at WBAP in the Blackstone Hotel and at WFAA in their penthouse studios in Dallas and on other stations elsewhere in Texas. During most of her time here in the Metroplex she lived in a house near Lake Worth. When she lived here, she was still very much famous - but her carer was definitely in decline.

Drummer, bandleader Ray McKinley. He was a drummer for a number of bands in the swing and big band era and became a well known bandleader himself near the tail end of the big band era. He lived in Fort Worth and got his start by performing with various local bands - including Smith Ballew's.
Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#31 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nice little article in The New York Times about Van Cliburn and his practice piano up for auction. Reminds me of the old joke - "What's worse than an elephant on your piano...?"

Story about Van Cliburn's practice piano.

#32 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

yea i just thought about van cliburn , also one of our finest businessmen who is not in the best of health, but is in our prayers , Richard Rainwater, paschal high school.

#33 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Norman Alden (Actor)

http://www.nndb.com/.../394/000350341/

#34 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:01 PM

yes my mom went to school with him paschal .

#35 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

Very sad news.

http://www.star-tele...fort-worth.html

#36 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

As it is with many "supporting" actors and actresses, Norman Alden had a face that many remember from one movie or TV show to another but (like me) can't place him with any particular production. But that does not diminish his contribution to the performing arts. He will be missed.

#37 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

hey you know what we forgot someone , who was close to all of us and in our eyes was famous , and he was on the warren commision , for the jfk inquiry. my cousin jack white.

#38 JOHNNY DONUTS

JOHNNY DONUTS

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Windell Middlebrooks is a Ft. Worth native and an actor now living in Los Angeles. He has been seen in shows such as The Suite Life on Deck, Scrubs and Hannah Montana. But he is best known as the no-nonsense delivery guy for Miller High Life beer.

#39 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

i forgot about the Dallas Cowboys , they are the most famous sports team arent they ? 

#40 lcbrownz

lcbrownz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

hey how about charles tandy , he ent tp paschal high school , graduated in 1935, he started tandy leather , radio schack and pier one imports.

Pier One started off a single store in San Mateo, CA  in 1962.

i forgot about the Dallas Cowboys , they are the most famous sports team arent they ? 

The Dallas Cowboys are a corporation like Tandy.

#41 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Seals and Crofts, the 1970's hit-making S/S duo, and their extended family (including "England Dan" of ED and John Ford Coley) came from "just west of here" in and around Comanche. That's probably too far away to count though? 

#42 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

how about elliot roosevelt , but he only lived here he wasnt born here.

#43 ramjet

ramjet

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

What an amazing life lived!  Thank you, Ms. Carter-Stevenson, for your love of art and love of Fort Worth.  Generations to come will reap the benefits of your service and generosity.

http://www.star-tele...fort-worth.html

#44 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

F. G. Oxsheer , he  was a cattle barron and ranch owner. he lived on pennsylvian street. They wrote a book about him ' The Forgotten Cattle King ' . At one time he owned the largest cattle heard in the United States.

#45 Ghost Writer in Disguise

Ghost Writer in Disguise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Dennis O'Neil, actor who is producing and starring in a locally-set TV series that hasn't found a network home yet, Bail Out http://www.bailouttv.com/#

He also runs an acting school here.

#46 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Lon Evans - was our local sheriff , payed pro ball for the packers !

#47 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Milton Brown - started Western swing

#48 FortWorthLowrider

FortWorthLowrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:ROCK ISLAND!!!!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Rapper snow tha product is a female rapper born and raised in cali but now resides in fort worth along with her family. Look her up. Great music and reps FTW
ROCK ISLAND
Fort Worth Texas

#49 detail larry

detail larry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:46 PM

Lets not forget Fred Browning - top o hill terrace - or really the nicest casino anywhere in the u s a during its heyday! And also Bill Camfield was special to me as I grew up watching slam bang theatre !

#50 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

I didn't know famed actress Martha Hyer was born in Fort Worth. 

http://www.cbsnews.c...ess-dies-at-89/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users