3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

I scanned/searched the forum and didn't see this topic so I thought I would start it off for discussion to pull in a broader population's opinion.

Background: In short, we all know the mayor/city has formed a pedestrian/cyclist panel with ambassadors to represent each district in an effort to make the city a more pedestrian and cycle friendly environment. With this being said, the consulting firm for this project has held three open houses to discuss the potential options to put in place here using 2014 bond money.

If you look over the initial assessment I have attached below, you will see three options. After last nights third open house (2/19/16), they have taken the feedback and narrowed it into two designs. Option 2 and Option 3 (from the flyer below) is what they proposed last night, with some additional detail, such as moving the bus stop from the Montgomery Plaza location to Wingate and Carroll on the west side of the street.

The Options: Option 1 (formerly option 2), with no on-street parking, a center turn lane, and one-way bike lanes on each side connecting to 7th street. Or Option 2 (formerly option 3), with on-street parallel parking on the MOGO side, no center turn lanes, and a two-way cycle track on the west side of the street w/no connection to 7th street because of the two left turn lanes.

The issues: 1) Parking in the area. 2) Bike lanes to connect cyclist to the trails. 3) Safe pedestrian cross walks. 4) Traffic regulation.

IMO: As a resident and frequent traveler of the area in all three modes of transportation, the city has set this project up for failure. Anyone who frequents that area with any regularity knows the turn out of MOGO at 5th street is always backed up on both sides, and the stop sign put in at Mercedes does not regulate the vehicle speeds enough to allow drivers to exit the side streets. So I do not support Option 2. Putting cars on the street is going to add an increased level of danger to pedestrians exiting their vehicles, as well as obstructing the view of drivers exiting the MOGO development by putting parked vehicles in their line of sight. With that said, there is obviously a desperate need for more parking in the area. However, the MOGO development was not designed to be street facing. So to further my disapproval for option 3, putting cars on the street (without landscaping and street store fronts) does nothing but make the street more of a parking lot.

The feedback I have given at these open houses is to look at the project from a broader perspective. If the scope of the project is to connect pedestrians and cyclist to the trails through this commercialized area (per Julia), then they need to broaden the scope of the project to include modifications to 5th and 6th street. Including all three streets in the project will aid in what they are trying to achieve here. Thoughts?

6th Street: Look on an aerial shot of 6th street, you will notice there is a very large easement on the south side of the street (maybe 12'). Does anyone know if it is possible if this is a street that can be developed for diagonal street parking?

5th Street: I cannot emphasis enough, the dangers of 5th and Foch streets. There are no stop signs on 5th and motorist continually use this as an autobahn to-and-from MOGO because there are no stop signs. Which is becoming an increasing danger to the residents of Linwood who I often see walking to the gym or restaurants on 7th. There are also an immense amount of potholes, no curbs, and a severe lack of sidewalks. All to come with development, I suppose?

Foch Street: This two block stretch needs to have street parking reduced to one side of the street (maybe relocate it to 6th street?). When vehicles are parked on both sides, two-way traffic is often unable to pass here. Anyone else notice this? I personally cannot imagine adding cyclist to the mix here.

Carroll Street: I would propose elevated cross walks at both Azela, Mercedes, and 5th street (is that excessive?). I believe this would regulate the traffic flow to more of a stop so pedestrians can cross more safely from all parts of the neighborhood.

Kimley Horn Initial Assessment: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Map of the project: https://www.google.c...m24&usp=sharing

Anyways, I hope this doesn't sound like I'm on a personal soap box too much but I can't help but see an opportunity to take a band-aid project and turn it into a productive solution.

#2 Electricron

Electricron

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:32 PM

I've looked at your maps, and I don't understand why bike lanes are needed on streets between the park and cemetery (using either the red or green lines)? I would propose a bike-trail adjacent and parallel to the FWWR, which runs through the park and can join the existing Trinity River Trail which already runs west towards the cemetery.  My trail would only cross city streets and would run under the existing Lancaster overpass, and one could build a bike - trail overpasses at 7th Street, Henderson, and White Settlement. 

A dedicated path should be significantly cheaper than than any street running bike lane.

Along Carroll I would just suggest having wider sidewalks for pedestrians. 

#3 Mr_Brightside526

Mr_Brightside526

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Fort Worth

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

I've looked at your maps, and I don't understand why bike lanes are needed on streets between the park and cemetery (using either the red or green lines)? I would propose a bike-trail adjacent and parallel to the FWWR, which runs through the park and can join the existing Trinity River Trail which already runs west towards the cemetery.  My trail would only cross city streets and would run under the existing Lancaster overpass, and one could build a bike - trail overpasses at 7th Street, Henderson, and White Settlement. 

A dedicated path should be significantly cheaper than than any street running bike lane.

Along Carroll I would just suggest having wider sidewalks for pedestrians. 

It is my understanding that Foch St. provides a "safer" bike path for the concentrated population along W 7th, MOGO and Elan rather than routing those cyclist and pedestrians along busy W 7th st. The population in So 7th and the future Leftbank will have easier access to the trails via the park.

#4 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

Carroll has bike lanes now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Carroll Street, Cyclist, Pedestrians, Montgomery Plaza, Linwood, Carroll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users