Photo
- - - - -

What will be in place of the Airporter (transportation center) in downtown Fort Worth?

downtown fort worth architecture development

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 ruthannbeloved

ruthannbeloved

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

We live in Hillside, directly across from the Airporter (is that what the transport place is called?). It is now shut down, and I'm wondering if anyone has insight as to what this space will become? It is directly next to (below) Weatherford, located on E 1st St. 

This may be a topic for commercial too.

#2 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Ruthann, welcome to the Forum.  You live in a cool neighborhood.  

As for the Airporter, I can't recall but not much has been said about it.  I think it might have some potential to become a terminal for the luxury express buses that connect to Houston and Austin, the ones with stewardesses and first class meals.

Keep Fort Worth folksy. :)

#3 ruthannbeloved

ruthannbeloved

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Thanks! I figured it is probably pretty good real estate and wondered if they would build more homes like ours there, especially since Hillside is being sold.  

Ps: we really like living here!

#4 JannaR

JannaR

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi Ruth Ann........Apartments are going to built there and will become part of the Hillside Community but they won't look like Hillside. :smwink:

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:50 AM

Here's your answer. 4 floor 125-175 unit apartment building.

http://www.star-tele...le12296948.html

#6 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

FWBP is reporting 120 units.

http://fwbusinesspre...t-downtown.aspx

#7 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

On the DDRB agenda 

DG16-16 904 E. Weatherford/ Ariston Place Apartments Owner/Applicant: Fort Worth Housing Solutions/ BOKAPowell Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a four story apartment complex.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:01 PM

aristonrendering-600x400_zpsyd6yqwrk.jpg

#9 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

view from above

oFrssS6.png

#10 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:49 AM

Is this deja Vu?... I have seen this design somewhere around the city, but I can't remember where.

All jokes aside. I am glad to see an empty lot bite the dust.

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

On Google Maps, it looks like walking to the heart of downtown may be a little inconvenient from this location.

• JBB likes this

-Dylan

#12 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 10:04 AM

On Google Maps, it looks like walking to the heart of downtown may be a little inconvenient from this location.

Hopefully that will be remedied

http://www.dfwi.org/...estrian-walkway

#13 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

That's great.  This lot does sort of sit out on the fringes.  I'm getting a blank on the images of the plans on that link in both IE and Chrome.

#14 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:14 PM

That's great.  This lot does sort of sit out on the fringes.  I'm getting a blank on the images of the plans on that link in both IE and Chrome.

I did as well. I thought it was because I am on my ipad with no wifi connection.

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

I am to. The article is from 2015, so I'm guessing the links just went bad. 

#16 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Austin, do you know if the plan was going to include a path from first over or under the tracks?... or was it a plan to better connect 1st St. to 3rd St.?

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

I can't remember.

#18 beverlyb

beverlyb

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

The removal of the Airporter parking lot has started.

#19 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:08 PM

Churchill at Downtown. Proposed 122 Multi-family units. 2 buildings of 2 stories and one building which is split between 3 and 4 stories. 30% market rate and 70% affordable housing. 

churchill%20at%20downtown.jpg

Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#20 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:15 PM

I like this layout a little better than the monolithic proposal earlier in the thread. All of the surface parking is a shame, but it could be worse I suppose.

#21 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

I agree; the surface parking is a shame.  The project would be much better with a base of ground level retail and an enclosed parking structure with the residential units above.

The Pinnacle Apartment on Lancaster is a great model.

#22 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:43 PM

I agree; the surface parking is a shame.  The project would be much better with a base of ground level retail and an enclosed parking structure with the residential units above.

Are you sure? Because the road it's fronting isn't very busy, nor does it look like it gets that much foot traffic. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#23 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:13 PM

Interesting that it changed but didn't really lose many units. I don't mind the parking too much, the street parking is nice and the rest is mostly hidden internally.

Do you know a timeline, Andy? I'd heard previous iteration was pushed to back burner by other projects (Katy Station, Hunter Plaza) and the need to relocate Butler residents. This would be a good option for Butler residents though.

#24 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:20 PM

Are you sure? Because the road it's fronting isn't very busy, nor does it look like it gets that much foot traffic.

Oh yeah pretty sure.  The site is part of an established neighborhood and there could be sufficient walkup business to to support retail stores in the complex, particularly along First Street, maybe sidewalk cafes, etc. 

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

The project is absent of any connection with the surrounding neighborhood. Its just there! It would be great if this neighborhood was spared a car lot.

Besides, I thought that the City wanted to discourage more "Woodhaven-like" multi family projects; and this has the potential to turn into just that. 

Compared to this which I believe actually fits into the Rosedale/Jennings Community -

5c19133569702.image.jpg?resize=400%2C225

#25 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

It'd be nice to see a pedestrian and bike crossing of the railroad tracks along the E 1st corridor as part of this project.

The sites potential isolation is certainly an obstacle.

#26 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:13 PM

It'd be nice to see a pedestrian and bike crossing of the railroad tracks along the E 1st corridor as part of this project.

I couldn’t agree more. There needs to be better access to Uptown and Downtown

#27 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

I couldn’t agree more. There needs to be better access to Uptown and Downtown

Again, this project could be greatly improved if it included a retail component fronting instead of a parking lot along 1st Street.  As the map shows, the neighborhood is surrounded by rails and busy roads and it is isolated.  A neighborhood shopping complex would provide the households and apartment residents with a walkable place to do shopping.

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

#28 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

From DDRB Agenda. Maybe another change of plans?

DG20 – 002 904 E. Weatherford Street Owner: Stonehawk Capital Partners, LLC. – Brandon Hopkins Applicant: Kimley – Horn – Sydney Coale Requests a Certificate of Appropriateness to construct a five (5) story apartment building with the following waivers from the setback, parking structure, street grid and streetscape standards and a recommendation to City Plan Commission for a waiver from maximum block length, block face and block perimeter.

Stonehawk are the same developers behind the Bowery in Near Southside and the currently under construction project on Hampton.

#29 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

ae9a9e9c-f34f-41bb-aaf5-b9e8e11c4eaa.JPG

http://cfw.maps.arcg...6f6ab1542fca765

#30 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

Am I alone in thinking that nearly all new residential development being constructed or planned around Fort Worth's urban core consists of apartments, apartments, and still more apartments? I know about the spotty history of condominium developments downtown but the vision of future Fort Worth becoming a huge monolith of block after block of uninspiring apartments is depressing. Developers/builders, because they tend to follow whatever local housing trends seem the safest from an investment prospective, are perhaps unwittingly short-changing our aspirations for becoming a world class city.

An Indiana friend of mine sent me a listing for a downtown town home in Indianapolis that out-class nearly everything I've seen in Fort Worth: https://www.zillow.c...083655113_zpid/    Why can't we have this kind of modern development here? The notion that a Rustbelt city in the Midwest architecturally out-classes what is supposed to be a booming urban destination for newcomers to DFW, is depressing. Fort Worth leaders seem satisfied that we are in the midst of a downtown renaissance by being front and center of the back-to-the-cites movement, but the reality is that the real monied people in our city end up building their multi-million dollar mansions on sprawling estates far from downtown. Adding more and more mid-market level apartments in and around the downtown core will do little to improve our City's image, IMO. I guess the typical downtown resident of the future will decidedly be an apartment dweller because individual/single family residences are so rare here. That said, I do appreciate new construction on formerly underutilized downtown lots but why do all of these new developments have to be so architecturally cookie-cutter like? Worse, imagine what all these apartment complexes are going to look like 25 or 50 years from now? A few may hold their value, longer term, but so many more probably won't because they were not built for permanence.

#31 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

It looks like W7th/Linwood/Monticello is the place to go for condos and town homes.

My blog: Doohickie

#32 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:29 PM

An Indiana friend of mine sent me a listing for a downtown town home in Indianapolis that out-class nearly everything I've seen in Fort Worth: https://www.zillow.c...083655113_zpid/    Why can't we have this kind of modern development here? The notion that a Rustbelt city in the Midwest architecturally out-classes what is supposed to be a booming urban destination for newcomers to DFW, is depressing. 

I'm sorry John, but I don't feel like this condo is anything special or is out classing anything going on here.  To be honest it looks like some of the newish Uptown Condos at Samuel and Belknap.  The finishes are nice but they better be for something that has a $1.6 million price tag.

I do agree with you on what these apartment buildings are going to look like in 20 years though.  A friend of mine lived at Highpoint which is one of the new pancake-plex apartments at S. Main and Pennsylvania and it already looks worn out after 3 years.

#33 John S.

John S.

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:14 PM

"I'm sorry John, but I don't feel like this condo is anything special or is out classing anything going on here.  To be honest it looks like some of the newish Uptown Condos at Samuel and Belknap.  The finishes are nice but they better be for something that has a $1.6 million price tag.

I do agree with you on what these apartment buildings are going to look like in 20 years though.  A friend of mine lived at Highpoint which is one of the new pancake-plex apartments at S. Main and Pennsylvania and it already looks worn out after 3 years."

Thanks for sharing your opinions. I guess I should have put more emphasis on pointing out the smaller footprint of these Indy townhomes.. If the listing data is to be believed, the condo townhouse footprint comes in at  only 1,742 sq. feet.

One of my personal concerns is that on Samuels Avenue, where we've lived for 30 years, all but a couple of the larger multi acre parcels are already built out with apartment complexes. My spouse and I have been trying to market our 20K sq. foot lot along our next door neighbor's same size parcel for a combined 40K sq. feet. (a 200 x 200 feet block) for some time.  The rest of our small block is enveloped around by a new 353 until, four story apartment complex completed early last year. The problem my neighbor and I are running into after speaking to a number of developers, investors, and builders, is that our combined land parcel is now inadequate in size for much in the way of multi-family units. When my Indiana friend shared the townhouse listing in Indianapolis it appeared to be a practical solution for smaller building sites as we have numerous vacant or underutilized lots of less than an acre scattered around the neighborhood that are going to be left over when the last multi-acre tracts are built out for apartments.

Not much of a concern for the general public, I know,  but if you are a homeowner/property owner you get a feeling of being left out while some of your luckier neighbors cashed out for top dollar because their land fit into a multi-acre parcel. Our smaller parcel was artificially created by an apartments developer with the consent and approval of City planning. At this point, there is still zero retail presence on Samuels, and according to several people who claim to be in the know, none will be allowed. Besides cashing out for a fraction of what our former fortunate neighbors realized (which we aren't financially able to do) can anyone share any practical solutions/ideas that could benefit us as well as break up the monolithic apartment complexes that are dominating our streetscape? A few modern townhouses built in the gaps between the apartment complexes would restore a continuous streetscape that our neighborhood once had as well as create visual variety. We feel like the City, in its rush to bring large scale development to our neighborhood, ignored the fate of those homeowners who weren't lucky enough to be included in an apartments tract. Maybe our heirs can cash out 40 years from now when the apartments in our neighborhood are being demollshed for whatever new development takes their place. Perhaps less restrictive City development guidelines for smaller remaining land parcels would also bring solutions. I'm sure our neighborhood is not unique in this situation with all the development going on city-wide. A more intelligent development approach looking at whole neighborhoods is needed in my opinion.

#34 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:44 AM

Am I alone in thinking that nearly all new residential development being constructed or planned around Fort Worth's urban core consists of apartments, apartments, and still more apartments? I know about the spotty history of condominium developments downtown but the vision of future Fort Worth becoming a huge monolith of block after block of uninspiring apartments is depressing. Developers/builders, because they tend to follow whatever local housing trends seem the safest from an investment prospective, are perhaps unwittingly short-changing our aspirations for becoming a world class city.

No, you are not alone in your critical observation.  I have voiced the same criticisms of the city, particularly for allowing a developer to build the six-story Burnett Lofts on the south side of downtown.

#35 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Good points about durability.  Need better way to regulate/incentivize better design, more durable methods so is in apartment developers interest to do that.

The thing about THs is that they are lower density vs apartments, so we can get more population density into the central city with 4-7 story apartments vs 2-4 story town houses.  They serve different audiences.  Also  apartments work so well for young people, who are critical to a thriving downtown/central city. 

And with condos, we have that legal issue where enterprising attorneys can inspire owners to sue the developer 9 years after development and essentially extort them.  (just like CA).  That's another reason people favor building apartments over condos. 

#36 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:09 AM

Permits are in for The Huntley. Expected to start within the next month or so, completed December of 2021. $20,000,000.

New construction of 5-story Multi-family building, 296 units, including Leasing office, Clubhouse, Fitness, Mail rm, Pool Courtyard & 7-story Parking Garage. 

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2020019388 

#37 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:27 AM

Permits are in for The Huntley. Expected to start within the next month or so, completed December of 2021. $20,000,000.

New construction of 5-story Multi-family building, 296 units, including Leasing office, Clubhouse, Fitness, Mail rm, Pool Courtyard & 7-story Parking Garage. 

https://www.tdlr.tex.../TABS2020019388 

296 units for $20M is one helluva bargain at a construction cost of under $68k per unit

knowing also what we know about the cost of construction for parking garages I'm really curious how they're able to keep the construction cost so darn low!

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:10 PM

I was thinking it seemed very low too. Might not be correct. 

#39 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:51 PM

Maybe prices on concrete have come down worldwide due to several projects cancelling or going on hold due to Covid

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

DFWI has page up for the project with a new rendering.

https://www.dfwi.org/go/the-huntley

#41 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:00 PM

With all of the residential apartments being squeezed into epicenter of Downtown, it seems problematic not to have a full service grocery store to served this growing population.

I think  DFWI should develop a RFP with incentives to bring a grocery store to Downtown.

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:27 PM

This appears to be underway.

#43 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

That is a good sign.  I wish they would put in a way for residents east of the train tracks to cross over.  Just a simple past through would work but I think a pedestrian bridge alongside the existing bridge would work as well; albeit a much more costly option.

#44 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • Interests:Biking, Photography, Music, Bass Guitar, Architecture, Construction

Posted 27 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

I had to get my bearings straight on which site we are talking about.

dMT7YAP.png

M9Yg87W.png

#45 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:10 PM

JGE9KcL.jpg

#46 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 08:40 PM

One of the stairwell/elevator cores is up.

1gNipo3.jpg

#47 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 10:13 PM

I've noticed a considerable percentage of apartments neighbor railroad tracks.  I'm curious to know how significant the noise pollution is.  At least in Texas we have our windows closed half the year but that could take some getting used to.

By the way Austin, you picked a pretty hot day to fly the drone....hope you started early.  Judging by the angle and length of the shadows it looks like you were out past high noon.

#48 Crestline

Crestline

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:24 AM

Would be nice if they could do an at-grade pedestrian-only crossing of the tracks at 1st street for easy access to downtown. I get that this wouldn't save residents here much walking time versus the nearby 3rd street crossing, but still!

#49 Nitixope

Nitixope

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:38 AM

Would be nice if they could do an at-grade pedestrian-only crossing of the tracks at 1st street for easy access to downtown. I get that this wouldn't save residents here much walking time versus the nearby 3rd street crossing, but still!

Ah the elusive at-grade pedestrian RR crossing discussion.  No comment from me.

#50 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:39 AM

I totally agree.  I mentioned this previously as well.  It just makes sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users