• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Work started Tuesday on a 23-story apartment building near the intersection of Maple and McKinney.  The article below, beyond discussing this project, talks about how developers are quickly moving to build into the sky in the Uptown area.

DMN: Developers break ground for Uptown apartment tower

Could the current success of Dallas' uptown area be the future of Fort Worth's "greater downtown" area including Panther Island, the West 7th corridor/Cultural District and near Southside?

Hopefully without quite so many douche bags, obviously (and I say that as a former resident of Uptown).

#2 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:28 PM

If Fort Worth ever builds more/better central-city transit, it's certainly possible.

--

Kara B.

#3 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

More steam for Uptown:

DMN: Developers eyeing new projects as Dallas' high-rise condo market rebounds

Is "Bleu Ciel" the most Dallas-sounding name for a building ever?

#4 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:53 AM

I think "Crétin Prétentieux" would make for a better name.

#5 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

I feel like Panther Island will bring in quite a few resi high rises. You've all seen the renderings and I think people are rrally gonna want to livr there. Location and surroundings wise it'll probably be better than uptown

I also feel as if developers are waiting for Panther Island to get built before building resi highrises anywhere else. .

#6 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Almost as Dallas-sounding as Le Bijou. 

#7 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Almost as Dallas-sounding as Le Bijou. 

Remember the days when Ken Schaumburg would talk up projects with crazy renderings of black glass towers encrusted with fake Roman ruins and such?  Those were the days.

--

Kara B.

#8 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Is Schaumburg still doing stuff? I'm to young to really remember any of the things he was doing but some of it was very nice.

#9 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

The last project I remember him being connected with was a proposed mix use development near Northside Dr. and I-35. The last post I could find on the forum about it was in 2007.

Edit: His proposals for the "Left Bank" project were probably more recent, but they've obviously been passed off to someone else.

#10 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:32 PM

I think "Crétin Prétentieux" would make for a better name.

:roflol:

#11 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

I remember hearing once that he did the exteriors of the new Phoenix Apartments in the Near Southside, but that may have been an old design that didn't get used.  I really don't know.

--

Kara B.

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think Schaumburg was still involved in the project.

#13 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Four new high-rise towers in the works for Victory Park.  Story from DMN.

-28 story residential

-24 story (approx) residential (by same company that built the Skyhouse Dallas)

-23 story office tower

-20 story (approx) residential w/retail (movie theater specified)

#14 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

I'm sure I'll get shot for saying this here but Dallas's uptown skyline is farrrrr more attractive then Fort Worth's downtown skyline. On its own it looks like a major city. 

14126759937_a8cc1c5076_b.jpgUptown Dallas by Justin Terveen, on Flickr

#15 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

I agree. That's a real flattering angle, too. It captures the near-uniform height of the mid to high rise structures.

#16 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

I'm sure I'll get shot for saying this here but Dallas's uptown skyline is farrrrr more attractive then Fort Worth's downtown skyline.

Really, why the need for a comparison?  But if you must, I will say that I think downtown Fort Worth is a farrrrr more beautiful place.  You say tomato, I say tomaato.

#17 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:12 AM

Eh, I was'nt meaning to compare at first, just throwing a compliment to what Dallas has done. 

#18 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

Eh, I was'nt meaning to compare at first, just throwing a compliment to what Dallas has done. 

Alright, its just that you used the comparative adjective clause "more" + "than".

Yes, Dallas has a striving section in its CBD.  It is interesting to observe the effect development north of the Woodall Rogers Freeway is having on attempts at a rejuvenation of buildings south of that freeway.

#19 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

There are a number of buildings south of the freeway that are under conversion to condos and apartments.  In fact, one of the buildings is getting a central market in the downtown core off Elm Street.  Downtown Dallas is really growing and doing things at a greater clip than downtown Fort Worth. 

#20 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:08 PM

Really, why the need for a comparison? 

Comparisons are a good thing, if you can learn something from them.  We should measure Fort Worth's progress compared to Dallas.  Yep, some good things are happening here in FW, but nothing on the scale of what's happening in Dallas.  No sense in burying our heads in the sand about it.  Residential growth in DTFW is nonexistent.  

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

Number of buildings over 200 feet built in the last 10 years.

Houston-38

-Dallas-27

-Austin-18

-Fort Worth-2

#22 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Really, why the need for a comparison? 

Comparisons are a good thing, if you can learn something from them.  We should measure Fort Worth's progress compared to Dallas.  Yep, some good things are happening here in FW, but nothing on the scale of what's happening in Dallas.  No sense in burying our heads in the sand about it.  Residential growth in DTFW is nonexistent. 

I would respectfully disagree.

Fort Worth and Dallas ought not be compared.  The only thing that might make sense is your perceived quality of life; and if that is not satisfactory where one is, then one ought to go to seek it elsewhere if one feels like it cannot be obtain where one is. 

IMO, more does not equate to a better lifestyle and more does not equate to a better city.  It comes down to being a personal issue.

#23 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

That photo looks really impressive, and that part of Dallas is genuinely impressive in a "look at all that is there now that wasn't there only a short time ago" sort of way.  It's much more impressive than almost any sort of photo of a comparable part of FW would look.  On the flipside, though, that photo doesn't show how many of those new buildings are arrayed around a spaghetti mess of overly-wide, too-fast, too-huge streets and as such lack the ground-level integration of some of FW's urban neighborhoods or other parts of Dallas like State-Thomas or whathaveyou.

That stretch of Uptown is one of the most conflicting parts of central-city Dallas to me for that very reason - the individual pieces are impressive but they don't yet come together into an effective whole, not until the streets issues are addressed.  (This is not any sort of original thought of mine - people like Patrick Kennedy have written more and better than I have about the issues with this part of Dallas on more than one occasion.)

--

Kara B.

#24 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

Overly wide, too fast and too huge streets in Uptown Dallas?  Besides Woodall Rogers, there are no streets there that are any bigger than Hulen or Bryant Irvin and most don't even have a median either.  Please identify the streets that you speak of with these terms.  I work in downtown Dallas and live in FW so I see and appreciate both cities.

#25 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:51 PM

Pearl, Harry Hines, Cedar Springs, Mackinnon, Field are all not fun on foot.

#26 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

If the argument is that walking them is not fun, then yes that is true.  But, those streets are no different than any other street in DFW in size, etc.  The constant beat to have walkable streets in DFW is never going to happen like a New York or Chicago environment.  The local elected leaders will make sure of that.  I am not opposed to it happening either, but knowing the realities needs to also be recognized as well.

#27 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

Houston-38

-Dallas-27

-Austin-18

-Fort Worth-2

Keep in mind that those are larger cities than Fort Worth, so... yeah, they're supposed to have more.

I know Austin isn't that much larger and they are in a smaller metro area, but it also doesn't have to "share" anything with another city. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#28 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

Per this morning's DMN, a new hotel project along McKinney Avenue:

LINK

#29 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

New 14-story office tower directly across from The Crescent:

LINK

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

It looks like someone designed a crown for a 60 story building then forgot the lower 46 floors. I live it, should be taller.

#31 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

Reminds me very strongly of Fort Worth's Pier One/Chesapeake Building. Austin's critique could apply to both buildings...

#32 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

It looks like someone designed a crown for a 60 story building then forgot the lower 46 floors. I live it, should be taller.

Reminds me very strongly of Fort Worth's Pier One/Chesapeake Building. Austin's critique could apply to both buildings...

Seriously, Pier One should have been AT LEAST 30 floors...  

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#33 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Houston-38

-Dallas-27

-Austin-18

-Fort Worth-2

Keep in mind that those are larger cities than Fort Worth, so... yeah, they're supposed to have more.

I know Austin isn't that much larger and they are in a smaller metro area, but it also doesn't have to "share" anything with another city. 

The other factor is critical mass - success and growth tend to beget more success and growth.  It is difficult to directly compete with critical mass elsewhere when one does not have anything of a similar scale going on.   The best bet is just to focus on one's self and not worry about what others are doing - and look for ways to differentiate one's self and create a critical mass of one's own.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#34 Dismuke

Dismuke

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts
  • Interests:Late 19th/early 20th century history, popular culture architecture and music. Collecting 78 rpm records from the 1900 - 1930 era.

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

If the argument is that walking them is not fun, then yes that is true.  But, those streets are no different than any other street in DFW in size, etc.  The constant beat to have walkable streets in DFW is never going to happen like a New York or Chicago environment.  The local elected leaders will make sure of that.  I am not opposed to it happening either, but knowing the realities needs to also be recognized as well.

I try my best to avoid that part of town.  I have been to a few restaurants there and finding parking is very frustrating and time consuming. Otherwise you have to fork over money for a valet - and maybe this is just an individual peculiarity but I have a thing against giving my keys to my vehicle to some random stranger.

A friend of mine pointed out the problem with that part of town:  In terms of congestion, traffic, difficulty finding parking and the overall hassle factor of getting around, it is almost as bad as driving in a northeastern city.  But, unlike northeastern cities,  if you live or work in uptown Dallas, for all intents and purposes, you are likely as car dependent as you would be if you lived in Plano or McKinney.  So, basically, you have the disadvantages of urban and suburban and none of the advantages of either in terms of mobility and ease of taking care of errands and such.

The area is acquiring a density that overwhelms its century plus old infrastructure.  The road grid in that part of town was laid out in the late 19th and early 20th century and was primarily residential/suburban.  Most of the streets were lined with two story single family homes with large yards.  The street grid was simply not designed to accommodate the traffic brought about by current density.  And, while the area is very attractive for walking, it is not walkable in any practical sense unless one happens to work and live nearby or wants to be able to walk to a not-so inexpensive restaurant or bar.    My understanding is that a Whole Foods is going to be built somewhere in that part of town - so that might help.   But I think it would be many, many years - if ever - before it could become walkable in the way that New York City or Boston is.  

So I think it will likely continue to be a part of town that is very attractive but a big hassle in terms of actually getting around and doing anything.   I enjoy driving through and being amazed at just how much it has grown and prospered since I was a kid.  But I think it would be a very frustrating - not to mention very expensive - place to live or work.

Radio Dismuke
1920s & 1930s Pop & Jazz
24-Hour Internet Radio
www.RadioDismuke.com

#35 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:21 PM

After visiting the Perot Museum in Dallas for extra credit last weekend, I took the McKinney Avenue Trolley into uptown.

Living there probably wouldn't work too well if you wanted to rely on the trolley. The trolley runs along the inside lanes, which means you have to cross a lane of traffic to get to/from the trolley from the sidewalk. Not a very good design. The nearby DART light rail subway station was pretty cool.

Uptown Dallas is an interesting place to walk around, though there are some large intersections.

If someone wanted to live in Uptown Dallas, there is a grocery store on McKinney Ave.

-Dylan

#36 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

Question:  is there a height limit on buildings in the Uptown area of Dallas?  They do all seem to be the same height with a few exceptions, so was wondering if that is by city code there. 

Regarding the unfriendly pedestrian environment at the feet of those buildings in Uptown Dallas, I have noticed that.  The buildings are mostly VERY car-oriented, with the main entrance from the sidewalk being accessed via driveway and port cochere rather than front door at the sidewalk. 

And I dont know the width of the street right of way in that part of Dallas, however the streets seem to often bee 6+ lanes wide, many are one way to move cars quickly, and the cars move very fast.  This along with large numbers of relatively blank ground floor walls (many are parking structures under the occupied floors), feels repelling to pedestrian use. 

I hope (but dont know) that Fort Worth's building codes do not allow that same type of unfriendly ground floor building design so that we don't make the same mistake here. 

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:05 PM

I don't know the specific height limit, but the Love Field flight path and runway alignment has something to do with the height of the buildings in Uptown.  It is closer to Love Field than Downtown, so it has to have a lower height limit.  I also know that the further east and west that you go from the runways, the higher you are allowed to build.

#38 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

I know this map exists which clearly shows something something over downtown/uptown, however I don't know what it means. 

#39 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

I believe it's showing the total area where the height restrictions are.  I did a quick search for something specific and couldn't find anything.  I did find the FAA advisory on what their recommendations are.  Looked like the recommendation was a sloped line of one foot vertically for every 20 feet horizontally you go from the end of the runway, to a maximum of 5,000 ft. away from the end of the runway.

This was just a guideline and is not necessarily what the rule is for Love.

#40 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:44 PM

New Hillwood development towers shown off today. 

This one in Victory Park, next to the DART station. 

victoryblock-895x1024.jpg

This one downtown, rendering makes it a bit more obvious. 

hillwoodtower.jpg

Read more here. 

http://bizbeatblog.d...nter-city.html/

#41 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

Maybe city leaders in Fort Worth should sit down with Mike Berry to discuss how to attract large businesses to downtown Fort Worth...

#42 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:44 PM

The big significance of those two projects is that Hillwood now has an urban development branch. Here's hoping they turn some focus towards DT to go along with Alliance.

#43 jsfslls

jsfslls

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

"In the past year, Hillwood has looked at a couple of Fort Worth locations but nothing has come to fruition. Berry said he anticipates it will happen because he predicts Fort Worth will be one of the hottest commercial real estate markets nationwide for at least the next decade."

Well, alright then.

#44 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:44 PM

New Hillwood development towers...Read more....

After reading the DMN story, the nagging questions that I have about Hillwood's goal are the who and the how businesses it plans to woo.  If very recent history is a prologue, the trend, more probable to continue than not, is to see already existing downtown tenants relocate to new properties.  This simply furthers along the process of hallowing out existing older properties.

#45 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:46 AM

Whole Foods opening a "pedestrian-focused" location in Uptown this August, on the ground floor of a new apartment building: LINK.

#46 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:04 AM

This shows that groceries will go into urban areas, once the density is there to support them.  It appears that the Fresh Market store may be a start here in Fort Worth.

#47 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:52 PM

This (and other renderings of the nearby buildings) have been making the rounds lately, not sure just how conceptual they are but impressive as a vision. DallasMetropolis thread

Harwood_Forum_Masterplan_2_.jpg

#48 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

That's awfully urban for an "office park".

#49 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

HUGE news as there has been an appearance of "HI Forum Tower" in the FAA. Height, 1080 ft. Would be the new tallest in the state of Texas and the first supertall outside Houston in Texas. We'll see where this goes, hoping it happens. 

#50 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

Interesting. This shows up in Google Maps as the block bounded by Field, Ashland, and Caroline. About 2 blocks east of the W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users