• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:37 AM

The two ad valorem tax measures on the statewide 11/3/2015 ballot passed easily; details in the Star-Telegram article.  I know a number of Fort Worth and Arlington residents who have complained about the recent increases in their property taxes, so I wasn't surprised that Tarrant County voters passed these proposed constitutional amendments (a good break for veterans, too!).

Observation about a ballot having only constitutional amendments:  is it just my imaginative thinking, or is there a tendency to just say "yes" to any proposal to amend our Texas constitution?

http://www.star-tele...le42412398.html

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:13 AM

Given that, at least in recent elections, the measures are put on the ballot by majority conservative legislators that were elected by the mostly conservative Texas voting public and those amendments are voted on by that same group, yes, they usually pass pretty easily.

#3 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Given that, at least in recent elections, the measures are put on the ballot by majority conservative legislators that were elected by the mostly conservative Texas voting public and those amendments are voted on by that same group, yes, they usually pass pretty easily.

Oh, I understand maybe there's a political ideological explanation.  I guess I was getting at a deep psychological reason like..."if it's being proposed by smart people maybe I should support it" or..."Anything that amends the constitution must be okay."  I like to consider myself a wise voter, but I myself feel a tendency to support rather than oppose the amendments as a whole, as if the whole package is okay.

#4 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Most constitutional amendments to the Texas Constitution pass regardless of the party in power.    

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

I voted a split ticket.  My thought is that unless I can see the clear benefit compared to the status quo, I vote down.

My blog: Doohickie

#6 Roger_H

Roger_H

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

A lot of the amendments tend to be what are called housekeeping amendments. They are amendments to address outdated provisions in the constitution. Amendments 2, 3, & 5, would fall into this category. When Texas adopted its constitution, the framers designed a state government with very limited powers. That's one reason for the numerous housekeeping amendments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users