• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Giraffe

Giraffe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

Who here remembers the milkman? I grew up in Wedgwood, the southwest part of Fort Worth, and I barely remember when we would leave an order form for the milkman outside our side door. I think it was Foremost Dairies; does that sound right? I forget if deliveries were made once a week or more often than that. At some point in the early to mid-1970s, home milk deliveries stopped and we were forced to go to the store for our dairy products ever since.

I remember that we were given a pad of blank order forms and we would check off particular items that we wanted for our next order. In my hazy memory that's what makes me think it was Foremost Dairies (Pat Boone once did live TV commercials for Foremost Dairies at Channel 5), because of a swirly "F" logo on the top of each order form. I'd like to see one of those order forms now.

Then again, it _could_ have been Meadow Gold. I saw the logo for Meadow Gold some time ago, after not having seen it in many, many years. Or was Meadow Gold just a brand of milk that Foremost carried?

But during elementary school, at lunch I would always buy a couple of half-pints of VanderVoorts chocolate milk! They made pretty good banana popsicles, too.

#2 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:28 AM

I remember my parents doing the same thing. I can't remember the dairy name but however many empties we put on the porch is how many he would leave. I'm pretty sure they even left the correct change under one of the bottles to pay. At the time we lived on Frazier and was thinking Wedgwood was only farm land at that time, but maybe not.
Can you imagine leaving your money and milk on the front porch now? Not only would the milk and money be gone but they might decide to come through your door to see what else they could get dry.gif

#3 801hme

801hme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

We lived in Meadowbrook, and I clearly remember the Orange and White Foremost truck bringing milk in REAL glass bottles...

#4 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:40 AM

Seems like there were also bread delivery vans when I was a tot in the early 60's. My frugal Mom declined both milk ans bread delivery. For a price, the mid century Mom didn't have to leave the house. Barbara Billingsley or Stepford?

#5 lonnzer

lonnzer

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

I remember our milkman and his name. He'd deliver the milk in the bottles, those bottles with just a cardboard plug in them, butter, eggs, etc. Then he'd let me ride with on his truck with him to the next block to my grandparents house.

#6 empty

empty

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:43 PM

I don't remember us having milk delivered, but I do remember those heavy glass gallon bottles with the wire handle. A gallon of water weighs eight pounds--I wonder how much a gallon of milk in a glass bottle weighed.

I remember a time my mother sent me to the convenience store two blocks away to get milk (Haltom City, at the corner of Haltom Rd. and Stanley Keller Rd.--I think it was called Norman's Grocery). I dropped the damn thing--that wire was cutting into my hand and I lost my grip when I tried to adjust--and left a pool of milk in the gutter. Mom was very calm about it--she got into the car and we went to get more milk. (She was a sweetie.)

I think milk and other dairy products were still being delivered at that time, but Mom and Dad didn't want to pay the premium.

#7 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (801hme @ Mar 23 2008, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We lived in Meadowbrook, and I clearly remember the Orange and White Foremost truck bringing milk in REAL glass bottles...

Truck? I know where the last horsewagon is in Dallas that delivered for the milk company. The horse knew the route and would stop at a customers' house even if there was no order for the day because the horse knew the route.

Not much left but the steel. If someone wanted to recreated an original horse-drawn milk wagon, I could put them in contact with the owner. I just can't imagine milk left out on a 78° night.

AN
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#8 EwingFTW

EwingFTW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

On S. Jennings Avenue in the late 30s and early 40s Boswell, Dairyland and Vandervort's delivered milk in horse-drawn carts in Fort Worth. We used Boswell.

Also, Diamond Ice delivered ice and the driver always would chip off a little for the kids on the route.

#9 cjyoung

cjyoung

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

Man, you guys are old! tongue.gif

#10 headlinesman

headlinesman

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:historical sites and events/football

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

I remember the ice man. It was always a treat in the summer when he would let you have the ice chips. (I guess I am old.) Remember the leather aprons they wore on their back?

#11 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (headlinesman @ Jun 26 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the ice man. It was always a treat in the summer when he would let you have the ice chips. (I guess I am old.) Remember the leather aprons they wore on their back?

I remember the EGG MAN! (Any takers?)

#12 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

On a related note...

When Eddie Vanston of the Carillon Group began the restoration of the LaSalle Apartments in Fairmount on College Avenue, they removed a lot of bad sheetrock and such from various renovations of the past inside the historic 1928 structures. A surprised waited in the hallways of each building under the modern sheetrock - the original milk & ice delivery doors were still there. These opened directly into the kitchen - the delivery man slid the milk through the top doors and ice through the bottom doors. The doors were restored along with the rest of the building.

--

Kara B.

#13 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Architecture (deco, love that we still have a lot! endangered googie, all other historic) FTW's good photography reputation (Blessed Carter Collection) city parks, local history, vegetarian options, green living.

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Prairie Pup @ Jun 27 2008, 12:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll bite-- googoojagoob

#14 Birdland in Handley

Birdland in Handley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:06 AM

Oh, I'll Bite--googoojajoob
I just remembered another delivery service of the early 60's. Dry cleaners. I liked the friendly dry cleaner delivery guy when I was a little girl. I think it was really callled Nobby Cleaners and I'd answer the door and call them Nutty Cleaners. I believe the patient delivery guy was amused.

#15 Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:02 PM

I was born in 1975 and I clearly remember having a milk man. He drove a big white truck and brought juice and milk in the milk crates. I lived in Northside by the Rosen Heights area. So I'm guessing 79-80-ish.

#16 hankjr

hankjr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:55 AM

I remember the horse drawn milk wagon Harveys about 1939 or '40. A popular song at that time was "Sidewalks of New York". We had just moved to Fort Worth and rented a house just off Azle Av. near the current water tower. I was 3 or 4 at the time.

#17 Owen

Owen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, astronomy, cats, classical music, football, Fort Worth, linguistics, religion, Tolkien

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Giraffe @ Jan 11 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who here remembers the milkman? I grew up in Wedgwood, the southwest part of Fort Worth, and I barely remember when we would leave an order form for the milkman outside our side door. I think it was Foremost Dairies; does that sound right? I forget if deliveries were made once a week or more often than that. At some point in the early to mid-1970s, home milk deliveries stopped and we were forced to go to the store for our dairy products ever since.

I remember that we were given a pad of blank order forms and we would check off particular items that we wanted for our next order. In my hazy memory that's what makes me think it was Foremost Dairies (Pat Boone once did live TV commercials for Foremost Dairies at Channel 5), because of a swirly "F" logo on the top of each order form. I'd like to see one of those order forms now.

Then again, it _could_ have been Meadow Gold. I saw the logo for Meadow Gold some time ago, after not having seen it in many, many years. Or was Meadow Gold just a brand of milk that Foremost carried?

But during elementary school, at lunch I would always buy a couple of half-pints of VanderVoorts chocolate milk! They made pretty good banana popsicles, too.

Yes. I grew up on Calmont in Arlington Heights, and Mr. Scribner of Formost came in a creme truck with red trim to deliver bottled milk and other dairy products. I think we stopped that service sometime before we moved out to Ridglea in 1956.

#18 Papaw

Papaw

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (hankjr @ Jul 31 2008, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the horse drawn milk wagon Harveys about 1939 or '40. A popular song at that time was "Sidewalks of New York". We had just moved to Fort Worth and rented a house just off Azle Av. near the current water tower. I was 3 or 4 at the time.

Thanks hankjr, now I don't feel as the only elderly on the forum. rolleyes.gif
Those were certainly the good old days and it was real milk - not mostly water that froze as soon as you poured it over a bowl of REAL ice cream.
There were no tree huggers that protested about the horse poop contaminating the water run off and if your house was like ours, you seldom locked the doors and had very little illegal activity (other than the gamblers on Jacksboro Highway).
And Now your old rent house would have been right in the middle of the metroplex's biggest gang infested area.

#19 JOCOguy

JOCOguy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

When my father was transferred back to TX with Consolidated Aircraft they moved into the Ridglea West addition. Their first Vandervoort's milkman was Lee Harvey Oswald's older brother who lived only about a block away.
That was some years before I was born, but I do remember the milk man at my grandmother's home near Temple. You could buy ice cream and popcicles from him, probably the only reason it stayed in my memory.

#20 sonny 2

sonny 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything.

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (headlinesman @ Jun 26 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember the leather apron AND the wicked-looking ice tongs they carried the ice with. I also recall that we had a card, about 12 inches square that we would put in the window on ice day. It had '25' '50' '75' and '100' which designated how much ice needed for the day......just turn the card so the desired amount is rightside up and put it in the window. Saved the old guy (ours was old) an extra trip. I felt sorry for him, especially on '75 #' day.(and we lived upstairs) His wagon was horse-drawn as well as our milkman's. This was on 7th Ave, just north of Rosedale street. BTW...did anyone besides our gang collect and trade those round cardboard milk-bottle plugs with the company logos?

#21 OfficerWoody

OfficerWoody

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

We moved to Ridglea Hills in 1952. Boswell's delivered our milk. We also had an egg man. The first dog we had misbehaved and my parents gave him to the egg man. I've no idea what the dog's fate was after that. I hope he had a good life.

#22 isshin68

isshin68

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hello,
Foremost came by NS off Jacksboro...1950's through early 60's...remember it well...they would also sell model airplanes, things like that..
TW NS '72

#23 unknowntbone

unknowntbone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Our milkman in Wedgwood would actually come INTO the house--through the garage--and stock up our fridge. No need for locks in the late 60's. Our order form was on the refrigerator door.

#24 malibu65

malibu65

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

The milkman I remember was with Boswell in the mid fifties. We lived on Lorraine st. in north Fort worth. He would let me ride with him to the next stop and give me a free ice cream each time. I remember one time I started to reach into the box to get a ice cream and he accidentaly slamed the door on my hand. Hurt like heck. But survived.
Manor bread was the company who delivered to us in Richland hills in the fifties and sixties. I can still smell the cakes and cookies he delivered each week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users