13 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

In the Star Telegram this Morning this big news...

The Shelton Building has been purchased and will undergo a complete remodel. I have always liked this building. Always found it fascinating that this building was completely remodeled originally when it was only 10 years old. (Completely)

Story in the Star Telegram
http://www.star-tele...ovate-fort.html
www.fortworthview.com

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,758 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

For more information on this building, go to The Shelton Building at www.fortwortharchitecture.com.

Here is the text from the building description:

][/size]The original architect for this building is unknown. Throughout its history, the building has been used for retail purposes. In 1910, John Shelton purchased the two story building and added a third floor. He leased the property to the S.H. Kress Company. In 1936, Kress moved to a larger building on Main Street. In 1937, the building was leased to McCrory's Variety Store and was remodeled by Wiley G. Clarkson. This remodel gave the building an Art Deco styling. The contractor for the remodeling was Cain & Cain. The building also has a basement. FedEx/Kinko's operates a copy and printing center on the building's ground floor.

Brian, I think you are confusing the major facade remodel with the addition of the third floor. That third floor expansion was done 10 years after the building was constructed. The remodel didn't happen for another 27 years.

#3 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

My bad John. Sure enough. (Working from my poor memory.)

I do like the building the way it is. But I guess it needs something or it would not be mostly empty.
www.fortworthview.com

#4 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I kinda find the facade change unnecessary....

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#5 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

I like the proposed change. It has more character.
My blog: Doohickie

#6 ladair

ladair

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

does anyone have any pictures of this building in its original state. not 100% sure, but if the building has a historical marker, doesnít that mean it has to be put back to its original state. or close to it.
i have done some restoration work, and i am looking at some things for the building. i would like to see what it looked like originally. i am wondering if the glass block was original or if it was added in a remodel, and when did the remodel take place.
if you look closely at the building both the front and back, you can tell the plaster is not original. i am thinking it was brick, kind of like the back side. i am thinking the glass block was added when the plaster was put on. i also think there was a different awning. there seems to be attachment points on the building for either that or maybe an architectural ribbon or feature of some kind.
Great forum, glad I found it.

#7 ladair

ladair

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

oops!!!! Sorry i just reread. the remodel was done in 1937. so what does that mean for the next remodel. i still think it may have to go back to an original state?????
Still looking for pics. Does anybody have a link to this kind of stuff, or a website??

#8 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

When I get home tonight I will post a picture of what it looked like originally. (Very different) I will also take new shots to start a series for the new remodel.

And I am also curious how the remodel will go down to the ancient layer...
www.fortworthview.com

#9 ladair

ladair

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

And I am also curious how the remodel will go down to the ancient layer...

Bryan, thatís the question I and a few others have. Does anyone know if this building remodel be reviewed by the historical society?
The sign on the 8th street door says it will be ready in 2013. we'll see

thanks for the pics

#10 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

As for official landmark status, the building has a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark designation on it only. With the City of Fort Worth, it is designated Demolition Delay.

The state landmark designation is ceremonial only. For this remodel, all the owners will have to do is notify the Texas Historical Commission that they are remodeling the building. With the City of Fort Worth, Demolition Delay doesn't mean much. If they wanted to demolish the building, the case would come before the Landmarks Commission and they would decide if they wanted to put up to a 180 day delay on the demolition. A building can be remodeled as the owner wishes without going before the Landmarks Commission under Demolition Delay. If it were a higher level of local designation, then the case would have to go before the Landmarks Commission.

As far as restoration goes, the 1937 remodel actually meets the criteria for historic designation, so the owner could choose to restore back to the way the building looked after the remodel is finished, if he wanted to restore it to that point. He could also restore it back to the way the building looked in 1910 after the third floor was added. This addition also meets the criteria for designation. I doubt any owner would want to restore the building to the way it looked when it was first constructed because they would have to entirely remove the third floor. This would mean a loss of size to the building.

I have been looking for original photographs of the building and I was almost 100% sure that I had uploaded some to the Jack White Collection of Historic Fort Worth Photographs, but I can't seem to find them. Maybe Brian will come through with his.

#11 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Ladair, you also asked if the Historical Society would review this case. The actual name of the city's preservation organization is Historic Fort Worth, Inc. I serve on their Board of Directors. Although we are keenly interested in all preservation projects, the organization does not have the authority to rule on any structure that is historically designated on any level. Only the Historic and Cultural Landmarks Commission can hear cases regarding only locally designated buildings. They would not hear the remodel of the Shelton Building because it is designated Demolition Delay. The commission only reviews demolition cases for a DD designation. By the way, ladair, welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us, too.

Brian, please post your new photographs of the building remodel in this thread. We have too many duplicate threads on this forum and I'm always trying to keep it less cluttered.

#12 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

The Shelton Building has had 2 very major renovations. The Third is in process. Here is an old photo of the building after the third story was added. (They sure did a great job adding the third floor, I think... cosmetically.) And also a shot after it last huge remodel. I am guessing the top photo is from the 20's.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#13 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Brian, I see you pulled that out of the Tarrant County Historic Resource Survey books. Thanks for posting.

#14 ladair

ladair

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

thanks for all of the replies. really clears up what i needed to know.
very informative forum, glad i found it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Houston Street, Kress, Art Deco, Hogan Office Supply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users