#1 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Star Telegram story

The Land Title Block will be remodeled as part of the plaza project and reopen later as a restaurant.

#2 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

8.0 is owned by Shannon Wynne, who also owns the Flying Saucer, Flying Fish and Meddlesome Moth (in Dallas only). The current Saucer is going to move to the current 8.0 building, and Wynne is going to put another "concept" in where the Saucer is. That would be awesome if he brought Meddlesome Moth to Fort Worth (it's a beer place too)

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,752 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

We have already been discussing the bigger project of the three new buildings in Sundance here on the forum at http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=4460

#4 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I like the concept of the Flying Saucer, and I have several friends that are regulars there, but for the life of me, EVERY time I've ever been in there, the service has been ridiculously slow. At this point, I will only go there with a group, and lower my expectations for the table service to dismal to keep my blood pressure in check.
My blog: Doohickie

#5 Joshw

Joshw

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

I love the Saucer. I'm a UFO club member, at around 103 of 200 before I get my plate on the wall. Looks like my plate will go on the wall at the new place.

As far as the service, it is slow. But I don't go there for the fast service. The beer is good, and conversations are good. I wouldn't use it for a lunch place, but dinner/evening out = perfect.

#6 pmburk

pmburk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I like the concept of the Flying Saucer, and I have several friends that are regulars there, but for the life of me, EVERY time I've ever been in there, the service has been ridiculously slow. At this point, I will only go there with a group, and lower my expectations for the table service to dismal to keep my blood pressure in check.

ITA. Also the last several times I've gone, the bar staff has had wretched attitude. Combined with the already slow service, I've pretty much written the Saucer off for the time being.

#7 Ron Payne

Ron Payne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Music, photography, architecture, hot rods, stormy weather

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

I've never been there, but based on this info on the service and attitudes, it sounds like I never will. Plenty of 'fast and friendly' places out there!
"People only ask you how you're doing, 'cause it's easier than letting on how little they could care" - Jackson Browne

Hear my original music (and other stuff) at RPQx2 Music

#8 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

And now 7th Haven is closing the same day. Okay, it's a bit a dive, but still.

#9 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

So.

I went to the new Flying Saucer. It was fine. We slammed them with maybe 50 or 60 thirsty bicycle riders Sunday night and they got us served pretty quick. I also found out I know one of the waitresses there; they were doing a Beer 101 class for new hires, and one of the new girls, well.... I taught her in Sunday School at our church....

The place itself is pretty nice and welcoming. Big open space, nice pubbish decor.

Not sure what they did with the old plates, but the walls were lined with regular plates (not the ones you get for beer consumption).

#10 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:09 AM

The plates are in storage for 67 days. Apparently they have a rule where a plate can't be hung until the 67th day because that is the scientifically determined amount of time it would take to safely consume 200 beers.

http://www.fwweekly....r-takes-flight/

I was there this past Friday, and have mixed feelings. I liked the decor. The wife thought that they didn't make enough changes to the inside. Looked too much like 8.0 for her. The last time I was at 8.0 was probably 5+ years ago, so I couldn't tell.

Our server wasn't very good. We didn't see her enough, and one time she took part of our tables order and then walked away without taking everyone's order.

We also aren't sure how we feel about the addition of liquor. If it loses too much of the beer hall crowd/feel, we won't be back much.

i will be waiting a few months before I pass my final judgement to see what the crowd ends up being like. It might be a place to go during the week, but avoid on the weekends.

#11 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

Was there last week for the first time. It looked exactly like all the other Flying Saucers to me. Really lacked the charm and intimacy of the old one. That was just a stellar location. Half acre hall was the best.

What I determined to be the biggest change, apart from a nice petina, is the concrete floor instead of wood. It kind of gives all the wall decor an insterted feel instead of an authentic feel. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Also the windows. But I really like the patio. Always have.

#12 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

Looked too much like 8.0 for her.

I never went to 8.0, so not an issue for me.

Our server wasn't very good. We didn't see her enough, and one time she took part of our tables order and then walked away without taking everyone's order.

See, that's my issue with the place going back to the old location. Service like that has been my typical experience, like, EVERY time I've been in there. When I was there this past Sunday, we just went right to the bar for our drinks, so we bypassed that issue.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown, Sundance Square, Knights of Pythias, Outdoor dining

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users