• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Happy belated New Year to all. Yes it's been awhile because... well anyway, strolling downtown I've notice some type of work being done right across the street from the Omni Hotel and next to the St. Patrick’s Cathedral Pastoral Center. I'm assuming this is the Workforce Center, but have anyone notice this? What's in the plan for this spot?

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,742 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

It may be this project, already in a thread over in the Residential Forum.

http://www.fortworth...?showtopic=4478

#3 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Oh ok, I thought it was some type of repair to the building. Well let's get er done...

#4 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Oh ok, I thought it was some type of repair to the building. Well let's get er done...

The other day I noticed some scaffolding on the west side of the Tarrant County college building at Houston and Lancaster. Has the Tarrant County college building been sold to the developers of the major project? If so, then this might be part of the project. If not, then it's probably just some touch-up work on the Tarrant County building.

#5 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Fort Worth Business Press reporting trouble for Lancaster Avenue Project. Yipes!

http://fwbusinesspre...SubSectionID=49

#6 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Fort Worth Business Press reporting trouble for Lancaster Avenue Project. Yelps!

http://fwbusinesspre...SubSectionID=49

Maybe the diocese should try to finish out the bell towers on St. Pat's. Seriously, with the immigration situation in legal flux right now large Catholic organizations should probably be pretty conservative with their long to medium term construction plans. I really have a bad feeling about building in what could be future street-level rail right of way along Lancaster. The "vision drawings" that were circulated last year had a fairly narrow sidewalk facing Lancaster, and there are not that many wide corridors where future streetcars / light rail could pass through downtown from East to west. The plan for the diocese to trade surface parking for permanent parking rights in a multi-level structure is great, that should happen regardless of what else happens now. Maybe the project could just back up a little (from the street that is), and build two buildings now, and another later.

#7 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

I know itís TGIF and usually get too loquacious for my own good and I know this may be crossing a line, no offense to religion intended, butÖyou mean to tell me that a major economic development project concerning a vital area of our downtown is going to be held up for the reasons being stated? Surely there are business investors who would be interested in the Lancaster corridor? Are we having to rely on a religious institution for the development of downtown Fort Worth? Again, Iím Catholic, attended St. Patrickís on occasion and love their new buildings.

#8 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

I know itís TGIF and usually get too loquacious for my own good and I know this may be crossing a line, no offense to religion intended, butÖyou mean to tell me that a major economic development project concerning a vital area of our downtown is going to be held up for the reasons being stated? Surely there are business investors who would be interested in the Lancaster corridor? Are we having to rely on a religious institution for the development of downtown Fort Worth? Again, Iím Catholic, attended St. Patrickís on occasion and love their new buildings.

What Iím trying to say is that I believe the developers of this retail office project are relying too much on religious and government funding. The article mentions the church occupying 60,000 square feet and participating in parking garage funding. That's fine, but when you have to rely partly on fund-raising from parishioners, that can be a stumbling block. If I were the developers I would look for other business investors for this project (if the church can't cut it).

#9 ron4Life

ron4Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well hopefully Im in the right section for this awesome news to report from ST "Fort Worth buys land for parking garage on Lancaster Avenue". Its about time, geeeeeez

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Downtown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users