• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:28 AM

With the River District development ongoing to its south, I've been thinking about what the future may hold for the City of River Oaks, which has been largely bypassed by redevelopment and gentrification, as the River District is in Fort Worth.  In a situation where land values were to start rising in River Oaks due in part to a built-out River District, something should be done to update River Oaks Boulevard and the surrounding area.

The area around River Oaks Boulevard, Roberts Cut-Off, and Ohio Garden just seems ripe for a mixed-use town center, in my opinion, provided a rise in land values were to occur.  Here is what my proposal would look like.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#2 Big Frog II

Big Frog II

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

River Oaks is holding themselves back by not allowing any liquor sales.  No national grocery store will locate in the city limits.  Few restaurants will locate there for the same reason.  It is very puzzling to be a "dry" city in this day and time.

#3 bclaridge

bclaridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

River Oaks is holding themselves back by not allowing any liquor sales.  No national grocery store will locate in the city limits.  Few restaurants will locate there for the same reason.  It is very puzzling to be a "dry" city in this day and time.

True. People here are generally opposed to apartments too, thinking they will just bring problems like crime. If they are nice apartments (like Elan River District) that would not be the case. They need to eliminate the dry aspect to get more economic development, pure and simple. Too many people here are stuck in the past, in my opinion.

I believe Benbrook is also dry and many of your points mentioned would also apply there too if that is the case.

EDIT: though Benbrook is better positioned with Interstate access and the like, including plenty of empty land facing Interstate 20 between Winscott and the Clear Fork Trinity River.  River Oaks would need to capitalize on access to 199 via 183 and/or Roberts Cut-Off road (including 820->199->Roberts Cut-Off), and/or proximity to the River District and NAS JRB Fort Worth.  The base proximity plays into the plans for the area proposed by NCTCOG, though I was not fond of the plans to connect Meandering directly to 183 by having Roberts Cut-Off south of Meandering becoming Meandering by using the curve (and where Roberts Cut-Off north of Meandering would make a T-intersection with this curve) as I thought this would ruin a potential town center development, although this would make East Gate access easier.  I have personally noticed more through traffic using Roberts Cut-Off in my life of living in this area, and to have to turn to continue north or south on Roberts Cut-Off is simply nonsense in my book.  My plan would also address the East Gate access issue by providing a slip lane from westbound 183 onto a new "downtown"-type street connecting with Meandering, and a slip lane for eastbound traffic leaving the base onto southbound Roberts Cut-Off for access to 183.

Sydney B. Claridge

Proud Horned Frog (TCU Class of 2017) and lifelong Fort Worth resident with a hobby interest in urban planning and design.

Please consider following my Instagram page!  I take a lot of pictures of scenery and urban environments, in addition to my interests in fashion.

#4 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

You'd think folks who complain about their property taxes would embrace apartments as an option in the communities. Apartment communities pay more in property taxes per acre and thereby can "subsidize" the rate on single-family homes.

#5 elpingüino

elpingüino

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:43 PM

I believe Benbrook is also dry and many of your points mentioned would also apply there too if that is the case.

Benbrook is ... "damp." Beer and wine are sold at stores and restaurants, but hard liquor sales aren't allowed and neither are bars. Or brewpubs, as described by Fort Worth Weekly: https://www.fwweekly...-free-benbrook/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users