Hurley Building, Fort Worth's Towering Inferno

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:28 AM

The Hurley Building caught my attention so I did some Sanborn research. I noticed that the Hurley Building was destroyed by fire about 1898. I confirmed this on 1898 Sanborn Maps sheet 5 which states that the site was "ruins of fire." I also wondered when it was built. Sanborn 1889 sheet 7 shows it was under construction on the 1889 sheet and is labeled as the Fort Worth Loan and Construction Co. Appears as if the building also had a vault. The Hurley is also contained in the 1893 Sanborns on sheet 10 and shows an elevator on the northeast area of the building. I just thought this might be interesting??

http://www.fortworth...bankinferno.jpg

#2 1963Parade_of_Homes

1963Parade_of_Homes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

What are the Sanborn maps and where are they?

Do any photos exist of the interior of the Hurley building, in particular, the lobby?

-Jim

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:46 AM

WTx, the Hurley Building was the home of the Farmers and Mechanics National Bank, as was the Hoxie Building afterwards, and the now Transport Life Building after that.

Jim, some copies of the Sanborn Maps can be found at the Fort Worth Public Library and at Historic Fort Worth. Maybe WTx can fill you in on his sources.

#4 WTx

WTx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Buildings of the 20's - 40's.

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:49 AM

What are the Sanborn maps and where are they?

They are in many libraries but I view them online. If you have a library card from FTW's or Dallas' libraries you can access them through their online databases. Sanborns are old fire insurance maps that give a block by block detail of a particular city at that point in time. You can find old buildings and their layout along with various other info concerning the properties. Info will vary depending which map and city you are looking at.

#5 dangr.dave

dangr.dave

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I personally saw the cornerstone of the Hurley building yesterday. It is still around, in case you wanted to know.

#6 bburton

bburton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

I personally saw the cornerstone of the Hurley building yesterday. It is still around, in case you wanted to know.

So, where did you see it? :unsure:

Bruce Burton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users