John T Roberts's Content

There have been 806 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 17-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#108350 Linwood Park - New Apartment Complex

Posted by John T Roberts on Today, 02:50 PM in Residential

It's actually kind of funny, but I went out there to shoot on January 6th, but it had not been installed.  I have photos of the pole and the apartments beyond.

#108345 The Sad State of Heritage Park

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 10:20 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I agree with you, Austin.

#108339 The Sad State of Heritage Park

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 07:24 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

The main reason for making the realignment of North Main was to make Heritage Park Plaza more inviting. The plan was to spend quite a bit of money to restore and rehabilitate the Halprin designed plaza. Sine it was secluded and not often used in the past, DFWI and others felt something had to be done to encourage interest and activity. I can see pros and cons for either solution.

#108329 The Sad State of Heritage Park

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 11:32 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

JBB, the Charles Tandy sculpture once was located within the park.  JBB & Doohickie, go back and look at the comments at the bottom of the page from Austin's link.  Andy Taft says that rerouting of Main Street was not a done deal, and two other comments were about the WPA and the preservation of the park.

#108319 The Sad State of Heritage Park

Posted by John T Roberts on Yesterday, 09:13 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

That is the current "plan" but there are hurdles to cross before that work is done.  Some of the preservationists who have been involved in Heritage Park Plaza have also expressed concern that we are sacrificing one park for another.  They are referring to Paddock Park, which sits between those loop roads.  I believe that park was a WPA Project.

#108307 Future downtown skyline photo?

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 January 2018 - 07:58 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I could replace it now and use this photograph.  I was planning to get out to take pictures this weekend, but after being out in the cold for the downtown tour, I lost a lot of energy and didn't do much Saturday afternoon.  On Sunday, I should have ridden bicycles, but I still was draggy, so I went to the store to prepare for the winter weather, did laundry, and cleaned house.  I also had some other things to do, but I did not get to them.  Hopefully, I can get them done later in the week.  I was hoping to get up on the Hulen Bridge and take some shots, along with other vantage points around town. 

#108294 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 January 2018 - 11:18 AM in Public & Institutional

They will probably not make renovations, improvements, the restoration necessary to attract them back at Will Rogers.  There have been several people and groups wanting something done with the facility for years, and it still hasn't happened.

#108280 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 January 2018 - 09:08 PM in Announcements

Yes, it will be very similar.  We also still have to do as much as we can to stay out of the way during the pre-parade happenings.

#108278 Downtown Fort Worth Walking Tour

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 January 2018 - 07:27 PM in Announcements

Yes, the walking tour is still on.  Unfortunately, I can't be in 3 places at the same time, and I had agreed in November that I would be leading a walking tour this month.  So, I will be leading a tour.  However, I might be able to make a cameo at the parade.  It's going to be cold, and I don't look forward to it, but I will tough it out.

#108275 Lancaster Avenue Apartments/Retail/Garage

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 January 2018 - 03:57 PM in Residential

I might hit it up before or after the Downtown Walking Tour tomorrow.

#108265 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 January 2018 - 08:07 PM in Public & Institutional

Here's a current construction photo taken on January 6, 2018.  The building is shaping up and now there are several roof trusses in place.

dickiesconst-02.jpg

#108248 The Photo Challenge

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 January 2018 - 10:30 PM in General Photography

Acorn light fixture.

land3.jpg

#108240 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 January 2018 - 11:11 PM in Commercial

I went back to look at the information that I had on the building.  The signs have been defined by area and type on the design drawings that were presented to the DDRB back in April 2015.  The signs are even described as back-lit flush acrylic letters on a routed metal panel background.  The metal panel areas have already been installed on the building.  I have always thought that the DDRB also had to approve the copy and the style of the signs.  From later renderings, we know that a Frost "snowflake" logo is going at the top of the east and west elevations.  With the installation last week of the ground floor storefront and entrance, it is obvious where a smaller snowflake and Frost text will go on the ground floor.  These areas were also identified in the DDRB package.  What I am saying is that the signage size and location appear to have been approved by the DDRB back in April 2015, but the copy and font were not.

The latest Downtown Design Guidelines and Standards were approved in June 2016, after the building started construction.  I agree with you on the overall intent for the guidelines and standards - form, general architecture, and how the buildings meet the street.  You mention Cowtown Place, the new XTO Garage.  It went through several re-designs in order to be approved by the DDRB.  However, this was as far as the owner was willing to go, and the project was approved.  I would guess that they met the minimum of the standards relating to parking garages.

#108234 Historic A Brandt Co Ranch Oak Furniture in Fort Worth. Early Factory and HQ?

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM in Local History

The Sanborn Maps are also one of my other go-to sources.  It appears that A. Brandt may have been in the Cutting Edge Haunted House building until they built the new facility on E. Berry Street.

#108229 Historic A Brandt Co Ranch Oak Furniture in Fort Worth. Early Factory and HQ?

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 January 2018 - 01:35 PM in Local History

Joel, I was born in 1957 and here is what I remember.  I realize that I am probably not old enough to provide you with the information that you need, but I will give it a shot.  All that I can recall is that A. Brandt was on E. Berry between I-35W and S. Riverside Drive.  That address is 1300 E. Berry.  I thought the building was built in the '50s or '60s, but I searched for Brandt on the UTA Digital Galleries website, and it appears that Brandt's had aerial photographs taken in 1948, and it shows a much smaller Berry Street facility than what is there now.

Ranch Style Beans was located on a tract bounded by E. Lancaster, US 287, and Virginia Ave., with an address of 1734 E. El Paso.  Those buildings are still there and Bruce Conti purchased that property a few years ago.  This piece of property is southeast of the Cutting Edge Haunted House.  Waples Platter, their parent firm at the time had a lot of buildings in the area, so that building may have been part of their holdings.  My firm is doing work and leases our office space from Conti Warehouses, and we have done some work at the old Ranch Style Beans factory.  They had mentioned that some of the buildings were about 100 years old.  I also searched on UTA's site and I found that Ranch Style Beans had a water tower on that site in 1933 with their name on it.  I hope this helps.

It's good to have you back posting again.

#108222 Future downtown skyline photo?

Posted by John T Roberts on 06 January 2018 - 09:00 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I have replaced the image in the banner of the Forum with a new skyline shot taken today at the Amon Carter Museum.  There is one issue with it.  The two tower cranes for Elan at Crockett Row show up in the photo, but I decided to use it for a while.  I can always replace it, once the cranes are down.

By the way, here is the full size image:

25677713678_2739cf8f02_h.jpgskyline-01-06-2018 by jtrobert, on Flickr

#108212 Central Library

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 January 2018 - 07:30 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Back in the mid to late '70s, the rage in energy efficient design was underground buildings.  During that time period, two FWISD elementary schools and the Central Library were constructed underground.  Within the last couple of years, the two schools were rebuilt above ground and the underground buildings were demolished, dug up, and filled in.  The library was a little more unique in that it was built underground to be energy efficient and space efficient.  It was designed to have more floors built above grade as the library grew and expanded.  As I had said in an earlier post, the main reason that the building was expanded above grade was to stop the leaks, not to provide for library expansion. For a few years the ground and second floor were basically just "shells" and were not finished out because the City didn't have enough money for the finish-out and the facade and roof were just the method to stop the leaks at the time.  Also, the primary reason Washington Heights and Van Zandt-Guinn Elementaries were placed in the bond was to solve the leaks, not remedy growth of the school. However, I also think over the course of the bond election process, project team selection, and design, the programs for the two schools were changed.  I do know that Van Zandt-Guinn was enlarged to handle the students from the closed I.M. Terrell Elementary School due to the fact that it was selected to be the STEAM academy and converted back to a high school.

#108211 A timeline of Fort Worth hotels

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 January 2018 - 07:23 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

You're welcome.  As far as other hotels are concerned, have you thought about checking the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps? 

#108206 1972 WFAA report on rumors of the Tandy Center

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 January 2018 - 04:13 PM in Local History

Chris, I am hoping there will be a remedy to that issue, soon.

#108205 Central Library

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 January 2018 - 04:01 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Austin, they were separate projects, but since Tandy Tower II & the mall and the library were on the boards at the same time, and both had basement levels, the Tandy Corporation worked with the City of Fort Worth to make a connection between the two projects.  It also made sense because the subway tunnel extension was below Taylor Street.  I also know that this still would have worked with a future subway extension, since the subway proposals have been posted on this forum.  The plan was to route the subway over to Throckmorton to avoid the already blocked area beneath Taylor Street due to the construction of the Fort Worth National Bank in 1974 (The Tower). 

#108185 Central Library

Posted by John T Roberts on 05 January 2018 - 08:13 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Now in Denton is correct about adding the street and second level.  That was done to stop the leaks.  The foundation was designed for an eventual above grade building as expansion was needed.

#108181 Reit plans to demolish Westchester Tower and redevelop as mixed use

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 January 2018 - 09:53 PM in Commercial

Fort Worth Urban's Twitter page has photos of the demolition that was started this week.  The low rise retail portion of the building is being cleared.  This will be the set up for the impending implosion of the building. 

#108177 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 January 2018 - 08:08 PM in Commercial

Oh, no!

#108176 Central Library

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 January 2018 - 08:07 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I'm not coming up with much luck in finding photographs.

#108171 1972 WFAA report on rumors of the Tandy Center

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 January 2018 - 04:48 PM in Local History

The pedestrian passage space is definitely a plus.  The 2004 proposal actually put the street back into place.  From those aerials, it appears the line runs directly down the center of the old 2nd Street right-of-way. 

As an aside, if you look at the closely spaced columns under Throckmorton Street, you can see the only remaining part of the old Leonard's 1963 or earlier construction, except for the remains of the subway tunnel.  Everything of the Leonard's of my youth has been demolished except for the tunnel under Throckmorton Street and the tunnel under Taylor Street for the subway.  Some of the parking lot and stations are still left along the river, as well.  There is a small portion of existing construction left above grade of their first downtown operations (pre-1930).  Their original location was on Houston Street in the block immediately west of the Courthouse.  Three of their buildings are left there, but all three have been radically altered.  Texas de Brazil is one of those buildings.  If you look at the old photographs of the Leonard's empire, you can see those structures.  After Leonard's moved down the street, their old store across from the Courthouse was converted into a store called Everybody's.  It was Leonard's discount store.