John T Roberts's Content

There have been 805 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 23-January 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#108042 Overton Park Plaza

Posted by John T Roberts on 23 December 2017 - 08:21 PM in Commercial

The site plan states that the outparcel is owned by others.  Therefore, it is under a separate development.  I thought I could look at the site plan to see if the whole building had been leased by DXL.

#108032 Southside developments

Posted by John T Roberts on 22 December 2017 - 05:30 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I'm sure someone will renovate and move into their building soon.  The area is up and coming.  The new streetscape has really improved things.

#107971 Cleburne, Texas

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 December 2017 - 03:33 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

Thank you, Austin.  I have relatives who live there and I get down to see them every so often on weekends.  My mother actually graduated high school from the building that has now been converted into a Justice Center.   I normally don't down there on weekdays when everything is open. 

Cleburne has a relatively large downtown for a city of its size.  Even though it may be underutilized, I noticed that there weren't a lot of vacancies, which is good.

#107970 Hemphill/Lamar/Taylor Connector project ?

Posted by John T Roberts on 18 December 2017 - 03:28 PM in Transportation

I believe I pointed the bridge out in the very early discussions on this thread. 

#107950 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 December 2017 - 09:39 PM in Commercial

Yes, I have, and I think a lot of others have noticed.  I think we should all be in the Christmas Spirit and we should celebrate the season and not worry about a tree that leans a little bit.  Nothing is perfect.

#107940 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 17 December 2017 - 10:36 AM in Commercial

They are doing the finish out now.  From Channel 5's tower cam on the Stayton, you could see the Frost floors with lights on inside the tower.  Jetta and Anthracite's floors will be finished out about two months after Frost's, so it won't be long before we will see lights on inside the upper three floors of the building.

#107935 Cleburne, Texas

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 December 2017 - 08:47 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

On Friday, I had a chance to venture down to Cleburne.  I took a few photographs.  My two favorites are of the Johnson County Courthouse.  The first is an elevation view, taken from an alley on axis with the Courthouse.

24238899297_cf51778787_h.jpgjohnsoncourthouse3 by jtrobert, on Flickr

I also had a chance to go inside and take a shot of the center of the building.  Unfortunately, they have placed the Christmas Tree in the exact center and they have the area barricaded.  I could not take a direct photo looking up.  However, I will say one thing, the center of the building is absolutely fantastic.

39099586701_e44de04fe6_h.jpgjohnsonrotunda by jtrobert, on Flickr

A couple of blocks south of the Courthouse is the restored Liberty Hotel.  They have a nice neon sign on the corner of the building.

38217739325_fff3199636_h.jpglibertyhotel by jtrobert, on Flickr

Finally, the old Cleburne High School was converted into a courthouse annex.  The building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and it opened in 1918.  Does this sound familiar?  It was the same architect and year as Trimble Technical High School was built in Fort Worth.

24238900387_7e671a53bb_h.jpgcleburnehigh by jtrobert, on Flickr

#107934 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 December 2017 - 08:13 PM in Commercial

IMO, it's having about the same impact on the skyline as did the old Landmark Tower, even though it is in a slightly different location.  The Frost Tower is 12 feet shorter than the roof of the old Landmark Tower/Continental National Bank.  I feel the Landmark Tower lost a lot of its apparent height when the clock was removed in 2000.  Because of its size, the clock read as a part of the building.

As for the lighting, we will have to wait to see how that appears.  If approved, the Frost logo will affect the building's appearance on the skyline at night.  It will also be interesting to see if the logo will be allowed on the east and west sides of the top of the building.  It is against the Downtown Design Standards and Guidelines to install a corporate logo above the 10th floor (120 feet) on a building.

#107930 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 16 December 2017 - 06:13 PM in Commercial

Yes, there are several skyline photos that I need to retake, soon.  I took yesterday off, and I chose to sneak out of town for an afternoon in Cleburne, instead of taking pictures here in Fort Worth.  It was nice to get away.  I'm going to be off between Christmas and New Years, so I probably will be out taking pictures in town.  However, the weather is supposed to turn cold.  This is always my luck.  Every time I take a week of vacation and I stay here, the weather is bad.

#107917 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 December 2017 - 09:35 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I have seen the building from a distance at the intersection of Lancaster and Throckmorton since they installed the lexan.  However, I was a little far off to really tell what work was done.  From the photograph, it looks as if the lexan sheets were installed behind the windows from the inside.  Therefore, the frames would be in front of the lexan, and would read as the actual windows.

#107914 New Will Rogers Arena

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 December 2017 - 07:54 PM in Public & Institutional

Very nice!

#107893 Skyline Outlined in Lights

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 December 2017 - 08:50 AM in Fort Worth Architecture

I'm reviving an old thread. 

Bud Kennedy has offered an update to the articles he has written about outlining the skyline in yellow lights for Christmas.  Merry Christmas!

http://www.star-tele...e189849994.html

#107888 What's happening with the realignment of Harley, demo of the Health Dept....

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 December 2017 - 07:03 AM in Public & Institutional

Re-routing of any part of Trail Drive to Foch Street will not work because of the extremely low clearance of the Lancaster Bridge over the street.  It is 9'-0".

#107887 Awesome mid-mod interior at 9th & Houston

Posted by John T Roberts on 15 December 2017 - 06:59 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I agree with you, RD.  However, there are two hotels within one block from each other that are planned for sites that have small existing buildings on them.  Other than the parking beneath General Worth Square or working out a deal with a garage, those drawings to not indicate where the parking will be located for those two hotel projects. 

#107850 Awesome mid-mod interior at 9th & Houston

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 December 2017 - 11:31 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

This building is the site of the proposed Canopy Hotel by Hilton.  If built, this building and interior will be demolished.

#107837 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 14 December 2017 - 08:41 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

By orders of the City of Fort Worth, the building is being brought up to minimum standards for a vacant structure.  There are a lot of things being done, but what is visible from the street is the requirement to protect the interior from the elements and from vandalism.  A sheet of plywood over the windows is acceptable.  However, the owner is putting lexan panels over the windows which appears to be glass from a casual observer.

#107829 Confederate Memorials and Names

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 December 2017 - 09:47 PM in Politics

The thread has been split.

I think it would be considered part of the Rosemont neighborhood.  Maybe John Roberts can weigh in; that's not too far from his 'hood.

JDP, now Parque Unidad, is located in an area served by the Rosemont Neighborhood Association, and is considered part of "The Rosemont Neighborhood".  Like Fairmount, Rosemont consists of several additions and/or subdivisions of the city.  The addition or subdivision in which the park actually sits is the Blanton's Addition.

#107817 T&P Warehouse Redevelopment

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 December 2017 - 11:39 AM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

I will applaud the owner and architect for doing more than the minimum requirement for enclosing the building.  The lexan panels look more like real glass is in the windows.

#107811 Confederate Memorials and Names

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 December 2017 - 08:36 AM in Politics

What do you suggest for a new title of the thread? 

#107810 Economic Development Plan

Posted by John T Roberts on 13 December 2017 - 08:34 AM in City Issues

Austin, I want to say thank you for posting the link.  Unfortunately, I will not have a chance to read the report until I finish my architect's continuing education for the year.  I'm trying to do an online course every night until I finish my required hours.  This is the price I pay for procrastination.

#107777 Western Center Tower III

Posted by John T Roberts on 12 December 2017 - 10:41 AM in Commercial

Eddie Chiles' Western Company built those two towers in 1978 and 1981.  The Western Company was sold and moved to Houston, where they still operate.

#107737 "A wilder vision"

Posted by John T Roberts on 10 December 2017 - 01:16 PM in Public & Institutional

Austin, thanks for posting.  It's really fun to see a major contribution of my firm to the urban landscape.  I'm proud to say that I have had a part in this project.  There's more to come.  This is just Phase 1 of four.

#107732 Frost Tower - Jetta Operating to Build Downtown Office Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 December 2017 - 11:27 PM in Commercial

I was watching the action a little bit this morning during the Downtown Walking Tour.

#107727 Project Sundance

Posted by John T Roberts on 09 December 2017 - 12:33 PM in Commercial

As an architect, I had noticed problems with the masonry veneer had started not too long after the building was completed. 

#107713 Future project near Pier 1 building?

Posted by John T Roberts on 08 December 2017 - 03:23 PM in Residential

Johnfwd, I'm sure you meant Henderson and West Peach Streets.  They do intersect, and that is where the new apartment building is scheduled to be constructed.

Jeriat, the Pier 1 property initially had space planned for three office buildings.  Obviously, the market has changed, but two of the three sites now have a building on them.  The remainder of the property sits in the Trinity River flood plain.