John T Roberts's Content

There have been 806 items by John T Roberts (Search limited from 26-April 17)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#109784 Westcliff Shopping Center

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 08:56 PM in Local History

I still shop at Albertson's and Jabo's Ace Hardware.

#109781 State of Downtown FW

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 08:30 PM in City Issues

Gordon Dickson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram raises some questions.

http://www.star-tele...e207801409.html

#109780 Jack in the Box - 2105 W. Seminary

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 08:21 PM in Fort Worth Architecture

Welcome to the forum.  In your comment, I'm assuming that you are referring to the original building that was on the Seminary Drive site.  It was a true box.

#109779 City Nominating Will Rogers for the National Register of Historic Places

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 08:17 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Both fonts are "Art Deco"; however, the font for the new logo is a little closer to the font actually used on the buildings.  I do want to make a note that the new logo font does not exactly match the font on the buildings. 

#109777 Funding transit

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 07:35 PM in Transportation

It would be nice.  I would like to see more money coming into transit.

#109776 The Worth Residences (30 floors)

Posted by John T Roberts on 04 April 2018 - 07:11 PM in Residential

Currently, the Frost Tower is the 7th tallest building at 368 feet.  The Worth Residences is supposed to be 30 stories and 381'-4".  Southern Land Company/901 Commerce is supposed to be 32 stories.  If that building is taller than 368 feet, then the Frost Tower would be pushed down to 9th tallest.

#109755 Ft Worth visions

Posted by John T Roberts on 03 April 2018 - 12:22 PM in Miscellaneous

Doohickie, I have a funny feeling you are correct in your assumptions with the Strava Heatmap.  I did not join Strava until July of 2017 when I upgraded my phone and the health app used the Strava app to keep track of cycling.  I am still not riding often enough to make any kind of an impact on the Strava Heatmaps.  However, I did notice that you had enough activity coming out of your driveway at your old house to make a heat signature.  I also have seen several other friends have heat signatures in their driveways at their homes.

#109745 Sinclair Building Sold

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2018 - 08:17 PM in Commercial

I'm sure the Arts Festival will manage without that space.  Somehow with several new buildings constructed on Main Street, the festival has survived and flourished.  I wouldn't be surprised if next year, the AC Hotel is under construction on that site.

#109741 Southside developments

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2018 - 03:11 PM in Urban Design and Planning

I'm glad you provided a link to an article that gave the address.  I did not know where this was going to be located.  It had been a while since I had been down Jennings.  In leaving downtown, I have been usually heading out on Main to get home.

#109737 South Hills

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2018 - 01:42 PM in Residential

Actually, I recommending purging even when you haven't moved.

#109733 Forum Threads and Commentary Dwindling

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2018 - 12:20 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I will do what I can to keep the discussions fresh and interesting, and I will bring up more projects.  One other interesting things to note is also how people's lives change.  Mine has not changed dramatically, but just slightly.  I still live in the same location, but my work location changed.  My office was located on West Vickery, east of Hulen.  It was close to home and centrally located.  I could just about go anywhere in the center of the city for lunch and photograph a building or two and eat.  I also was out of the office quite a bit during the day.  In late 2011, we relocated to the old Levitz Warehouse at 6913 Camp Bowie.  Out here, I still have time to go home for lunch, but it needs to be ready, or otherwise, my lunch hour is long.  I have also found out that it takes longer to get anywhere in the ciey, except on the far West Side.  It is real hard to drive to a location, take pictures, and eat lunch within an hour.  Things have changed within the office, as well, and I only get out of the office about once every three months.  Summing all of this up, I'm posting about projects less because I am not exploring the city as much.  My little changes have made some difference in what I see around town.

#109728 Forum Threads and Commentary Dwindling

Posted by John T Roberts on 02 April 2018 - 07:37 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I will try to start threads on new projects outside of downtown when I hear about them.  Also, we do have several projects that are nearing completion on the Near Southside that if our photographers get out and photograph them, that will spur some more discussion.  I'm just waiting for the construction fences to clear away on some of them.

#109723 Forum Threads and Commentary Dwindling

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 April 2018 - 10:24 AM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

I try to keep the "trashy" talk controlled as much as I can, but I also don't want to stifle opinions. When the conversations get personal, that's when I draw the line.

#109719 Fort Worth Daily Digital

Posted by John T Roberts on 01 April 2018 - 07:42 AM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

I have added Mt. Zion Baptist Church on the main site, but I thought I would post the photograph of the building here.  It's located at 1101 Evans Ave., and it was built between 1919 and 1921.  A small education building was built to the rear of the church in 1960.

mtzion.jpg

#109712 Ft Worth visions

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 08:57 PM in Miscellaneous

The rail line down Granbury Rd. is planned for an extension of TEXRail.  The land was cleared in the area just south of I-20 for a station and development.

Thanks for pointing out the "bike lane" on James.  I was not even aware that it was there.  It's been a long time since I have driven down that stretch between I-20 and the merge/split with Crowley Rd.

#109710 Ft Worth visions

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 07:34 PM in Miscellaneous

You covered a lot of ground here, and unfortunately, I won't be able to address everything.  The rail line is the main north/south Burlington Northern Santa Fe route through the city.  With the amount of rail traffic that is on that line, I doubt that it would ever be used for transit.  I'm not even sure there is enough right-of-way along it to build a transit line. 

The ultimate plan for the bicycle routes is to extend the current one southward along Ryan Ave. from where it turns west along W. Devitt St.  Extending that route south would tie into W. Biddison St.  From there, the original plan was to put a bike route along 6th Ave. and take it all the way down to W. Fuller St.  However, if you look at the Strava Global Heatmap, you can see that more people use the Ryan/8th Ave. connection south of W. Biddison.  Unfortunately, this puts you on James Ave., which is a fairly busy street.  I didn't know there were any actual bike lanes or routes on James.  There used to be a better connection through South Hills and Rosemont when W. Gambrell crossed the railroad tracks.

As for the small apartment buildings.  There are several spread out through Fairmount.

I do look forward to CVS opening in downtown.  This is something that is needed.  The new residential buildings and hotels will help to liven up downtown even more.  I really look forward to some of the new projects that are coming.

#109709 West 7th Development

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 06:32 PM in Commercial

I didn't know this was here.  I may have to try it soon.

#109708 City Nominating Will Rogers for the National Register of Historic Places

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 06:22 PM in Historic Buildings and Preservation

Will Rogers needs a little love.

#109698 Ft Worth visions

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 04:06 PM in Miscellaneous

Biddison is one of the newly marked bike lanes.  That was part of the connectivity project to the new Victory Forest Community Center on Hemphill.

#109697 Fort Worth Police Association Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 04:03 PM in Commercial

You have a good point.  I think the biggest disappointment where there is no retail is up on Samuels Avenue.  It would be nice to have a couple of restaurants in that section of downtown between Henderson and the river.

#109695 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 03:43 PM in Announcements

I enjoy the discussions, as well.  It wasn't any big deal to eat alone.  However, I will admit that if I am going to do that, I prefer to go home.  I could have left Benito's and come home, and I even had leftovers that I can eat tonight.  I also had not eaten Mexican Food in a while, so I decided to stay. 

On a completely different matter, I picked up Phil at DFW on Wednesday evening and we grabbed a late bite at NY Style Pizza and Gyros on Race Street.  The stromboli was excellent, and since we closed the place down, they gave us all of the leftover stromboli to take home.  I actually have half of one left for tonight.  It was good, even as leftovers.

#109688 Fort Worth Police Association Building

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 03:07 PM in Commercial

It will be interesting to see what is actually built on this site.  I do think residential would be a good use.

#109687 Forum Threads and Commentary Dwindling

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 03:06 PM in Architecture in Fort Worth Website & Forum

Participation also comes and goes.  Doohickie, I'm going to hold you to it.

I do think that the size of the device does have a bearing on what is posted and replied.  When I'm on my phone, I do tend to be brief and not offer much commentary.  When I'm on a computer, I am more wordy.

#109686 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 03:04 PM in Announcements

Everyone, I wanted to let you know that I had a nice quiet lunch by myself.  I know that you all get busy and can't make every forum lunch.  I have missed a few.  Also, I don't want anyone to think that I was offended by having to eat by myself.  I did not have to stay.  I tried to call my two cycling friends, but they never picked up their phones.

#109664 2018 Forum Meetings - Last Friday of Month at 11:45 AM

Posted by John T Roberts on 30 March 2018 - 09:59 AM in Announcements

It appears that I will be dining by myself.  I may call Phil Moore and Tommy Simmons to see if they can meet me there, so I will at least have some company.