1150 replies to this topic

#751 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

The BOA docket was posted, seems to just be half of the block and only an office building.

YkSdhT6.jpg

#752 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

I'm not sure who "they" is, but hotels have always been in the plans.  The Kimbell's issue was not with the Renovo brand or that it was a hotel, but with the fact that the building could be seen from inside the museum space.

"They" as in the Cultural District. 

Just seemed like Renovo did everything they wanted and jumped through every single hoop to make this happen, and it still got canned.  

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#753 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:10 PM

The view from the Kimball was concerning. The view from the Carter was not obstructed at all. I've heard Renovo is looking for another site in FW, glad that we haven't completely run them off.

Maybe they can build in Left Bank where that proposed hotel seems to be struggling to get off the ground.

Hotel Renovos first rendering with 12 stories would be awesome there IMHO.

If not there then maybe the Upper Westside

#754 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

The BOA docket was posted, seems to just be half of the block and only an office building.

YkSdhT6.jpg

Where exactly is this located? Next to Great outdoors or the Hotel Renovo site?

#755 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

Behind/West of Great Outdoors. It only takes up about half the block.

#756 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

The other half of the block (east of Van Cliburn) is now proposed to be a 5 floor hotel. The office is develment is hoping to break ground around years end. Hotel could start summer 2019.

lLlJUD8.png

#757 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:14 PM

...seems like they could have oriented it to where the hotel faces the museums, but I guess it's ok as long as we get a hotel there.

7fwPZnE.png

#758 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

After the recent hotel / museum fiasco, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. There's still time for someone to ruin this.

-Dylan

#759 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:50 AM

After the recent hotel / museum fiasco, I'm not getting my hopes up yet. There's still time for someone to ruin this.

This hotel, while certainly not a guarantee, would not face the same height/view obstacles. This hotel is only proposed to be 5 story in height at this time and the neighboring office buildings have approval to be built up to 9 story (4 levels of parking, 5 levels of office space).

#760 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:53 AM

Also, this phase of the development is further to the northeast and away from the Kimbell.  I feel there won't be as much opposition, if any. 

#761 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

I wish I shared your optimism on that.

#762 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:05 AM

Instead of a decent looking hotel over the Kimball it looks like an awkward parking garage looming over the Modern.

#763 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:10 PM

The Renovo developers did not purchase the land. 

There did appear to be greater concerns about the developer and their follow through on promises made however all people involved were very politely vague so I'm not sure which areas of concern (height/massing, design, something else?) but the concerns must have been significant for City officials to push back, since they had already gone through the econ development process of providing incentives.  The developer, ultimately, dropped this.  The City didn't shut them down.  I don't know any specifics however it does appear that this developer had some challenges carrying out the level and type of hotel that this kind of site really required.  Check out thei Heart of America Hotels web site.  HOA has historically done limited service suburban hotels.  VERY different that what they were talking about for this site.  I do think they were given the benefit of the doubt that they could execute until late in the process.

The hotel on the east side of Van Cliburn is entirely different.  That was proposed as an Aloft hotel a few years back and appears to still be earmarked as something similar.  The office building appears to share a parking garage with the hotel (which would be smaller, limited service - not big enough to have meeting rooms, ballroom, etc that a full service hotel typically requires).

Hopefully a really strong hotel developer will come in and buy the site where Renovo was planned.  A hotel that, like the South Congress Hotel or 21C hotels, that is distinctive and appropriate for its adjacency to such important art and architecture.

#764 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:55 AM

Considering just how important "they" are -- the museums, that is -- they should hold sway in managing the gentrification facing this slice of town.

I don't really get the sense municipal leaders have a handle on how vast the change will be.The pending wave of commercialization, tourism and population growth will render the area unrecognizable from the turn of the century. The universities medical school is going to blossom into much bigger deal and making sure that neighborhood catalyst/motivator rolls over the neighborhood toward Montgomery Plaza in the most polite way is critical and as much fun as pulling teeth. Dickie's Stadium leads the transformation of The Will Rogers Complex hopefully into a year round destination for a greater variety and number of events.

The museums and cultural entities are the keystone species in the neighborhood environment sandwiched between two others poised for dramatic growth, healthcare and exposition. I don't care if the push back is so hardcore developers get bruised or hustled out of the game; the museums are a constant, "world class" presence and must be treated as such. 

#765 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

Mr. Gattis is closed per Bud Kennedy. It lingered around longer than I thought it would. I went twice for lunch and it was pretty slow both times.

#766 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:42 AM

I'm surprised to see ground breaking STILL hasn't taken place here. It's been over 2months since they were approved at the BOA meeting.

#767 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

Mr. Gattis is closed per Bud Kennedy. It lingered around longer than I thought it would. I went twice for lunch and it was pretty slow both times.

Good concept, good location, terrible execution.  My wife said the first time we went that they needed to have a buffet like Mama's.  6 months later, they finally put one in but it was too little, too late.  The employees never seemed to know what was going on.  But the food was decent and the prices were actually very cheap.  I'll miss having it around.

It's worth noting that the ownership group is the same one that had the recent Dairy Queen franchisee bankruptcy, so you can trace some of the issues to availability of cash.

#768 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:08 AM

I was by there yesterday at lunch and I saw that they had closed.  I had to deliver some drawings to the FWISD Offices.  Since I had not tried it, I was actually planning to eat there.  Instead, I went to Pei Wei at Montgomery Plaza.  I had the $5 Orange Chicken special, and it was very tasty.

#769 panthercity

panthercity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:20 AM

I ordered three times from there and they were always slow and never showed any hussle. My girlfriend wasnt to keen on it said it wasnt as good as Gattis in Austin. She tried it only once. I too am surprised it lasted this long.

#770 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:01 AM

The only saving grace for that place was the very cheap lunch buffet and after trying it once I knew it wouldn't be around long.

#771 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, I'm not surprised.

7fwPZnE.png

#772 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

I've seen some permits for a hotel at 3300 Camp Bowie starting to pop up. Perhaps this will get going soon. More good news, Bennet Benner Partners seems to be the architect. 

#773 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

A quick google search shows that the canceled Hotel Renovo project had a listed address of 3300 Camp Bowie Blvd. The office building and limited service hotel on the next block over are on the 3200 block. So, what are these permits for 3300 Camp Bowie?? 

#774 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

A quick google search shows that the canceled Hotel Renovo project had a listed address of 3300 Camp Bowie Blvd. The office building and limited service hotel on the next block over are on the 3200 block. So, what are these permits for 3300 Camp Bowie?? 

Oooh, good catch. Perhaps this is Renovo 2.0, it is listed as being on "block A" which is where Renovo was proposed. Ya'll might remember one of the architects was among those opposed to the Renovo's intrusion of the Kimball's outdoor space. I'm confidendt Bennet Benner will do this right.

#775 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

The hotel developer should give the design job to Bennett Benner.

They know the area. And their stuff always looks sharp.

BM, apparently, your call was spot on! :)

#776 BlueMound

BlueMound

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

The hotel developer should give the design job to Bennett Benner.
They know the area. And their stuff always looks sharp.

BM, apparently, your call was spot on! :)

Many thanks renamerusk!

#777 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:03 AM

Star-T reporting:

"A hotel developer is resurrecting plans for a boutique hotel near the Kimbell Art Museum, this time with the help of a Fort Worth architect..."

https://www.star-tel...e223203750.html

#778 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:05 AM

Article says construction will begin "early next year" and the hotel will be ready in time to serve Dickie's Arena. Also it sounds like it will be around 6-7 floors and the museum already knows of the plans and aren't fighting it. Looks like this time it will really happen!

#779 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:50 PM

Hopefully a really strong hotel developer will come in and buy the site where Renovo was planned.  A hotel that, like the South Congress Hotel or 21C hotels, that is distinctive and appropriate for its adjacency to such important art and architecture.

Urbandwlr might have called something here too, both the FWBP and Star-Telegram articles seem to think that it will be a 21C.

http://www.fortworth...b903657101.html

#780 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

21C Hotels

https://www.21cmuseumhotels.com/

#781 tamtagon

tamtagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:03 AM

This is reassuring, for sure.

#782 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:57 AM

Just waiting for the renders... 

7fwPZnE.png

#783 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

I am hopeful that all of the issues will be addressed by BBP and that we will have a wonderful Cultural District Hotel that will be liked by everyone. 

#784 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:40 AM

Interesting, 21C was in town back in March and while I was out of town and could not attend I sent them a letter expressing how great I thought their concept was of merging the arts with a hotel and suggested they look at this site, I wonder if they already were back then. 

#785 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

Can someone remind me, again, why a 60-foot height restriction is necessary in this area?

#786 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:01 AM

View preservation. Controlling what visitors can see from inside the museums.

#787 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:08 AM

Also, it's not specific to this area, but applied to mixed use districts citywide. You can build higher, but need to hit a few requirements or get permission from the board of adjustment.

Page 14 has a lot of past disscusion on the subject.

#788 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

I am hopeful that all of the issues will be addressed by BBP and that we will have a wonderful Cultural District Hotel that will be liked by everyone. 

I haven't seen anything quite like 21C; I suspect that the museums hadn't either and might imagined that if they were to become a museum/hotel hybrid, this is what they would be.  Likely, the museums were quickly on board.

If any one can, BBP can.

#789 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:06 PM

First floor plan from the UDC docket. Includes multiple galleries and a sculpture garden. No mention of a brand, however.

QTr0ho7.jpg

#790 txbornviking

txbornviking

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:40 AM

I wish them luck, and my current critic is a small thing but I'd prefer the lobby to be off Van Cliburn and the Gallery to face Camp Bowie.

I'm simply not a big fan of the porte-cochere being off Camp Bowie and providing primacy to auto traffic where that sidewalk space currently is.

#791 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

I agree with your criticism of the porte-cochere being off Camp Bowie and spare CB of more frontal street parking lots.  I would prefer that parking be both in the rear (along Darcy Street) and below grade.  One of the few things I liked about Hotel Renovo was that the parking was oriented to the rear of the hotel.

Which begs the question; where is parking for this hotel?

A nice piazza could be designed above an underground parking corral.

https://www.google.c...m/data=!3m1!1e3

#792 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:39 PM

Here's how the new hotel will fit in the block. The remainder will contain a garage, offices and apartments. Very mixed use.

xv3j3Jf.png

#793 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

So are they saying that the hotel and all the other components to this property would be built in one phase all at once? If not, then like someone said in an earlier post, where is the parking?

#794 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

If I were Renovo, I'd be pretty irritated right now.

-Dylan

#795 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

If I were Renovo, I'd be pretty irritated right now.

Makes you think that maybe the reasons why it fell through weren't the actual reasons, huh...? 

7fwPZnE.png

#796 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

The hotel now proposed is 5 levels; the Renovo Hotel was 8-10 levels.  The height of Renovo Hotel was actually the most cited reason for its demise.

#797 arch-image

arch-image

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Gary Morgan - Historical preservation, zoning and growth issues, Serious but not professional photographer, been in construction and design since late 70's

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:31 AM

Personally I am very excited for this project. While I think the Renovo would have been more than fin on this site, In my eyes, the smaller more boutique style with an art influence and seeing what they have done in the past I think makes this project a home run. Really anxious to see more of the plans and exteriors. 

#798 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

Personally I am very excited for this project. While I think the Renovo would have been more than fin on this site, In my eyes, the smaller more boutique style with an art influence and seeing what they have done in the past I think makes this project a home run. Really anxious to see more of the plans and exteriors. 

I agree.  I just want that empty lot to be developed into something functional...  it is such an eyesore have 2 huge empty lots directly across from the Kimball

#799 george84

george84

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

Is the plan for the office building and limited service hotel off? It isn't labeled on that site plan for the lots east of Van Cliburn. 

#800 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

I agree.  I just want that empty lot to be developed into something functional...  it is such an eyesore have 2 huge empty lots directly across from the Kimball

And that is an unique interpretation of open space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users