263 replies to this topic

#251 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:01 PM

My comment is actually on topic (in that it mentions Amazon).  Yours, on the other hand, is more meta-discussion.

My blog: Doohickie

#252 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

My comment is actually on topic (in that it mentions Amazon).  Yours, on the other hand, is more meta-discussion.

So from a discussion about piranha fish that live in the Amazon can be actually viewed on topic with a discussion about a company seeking a second headquarters location is somehow on topic; but if not seeing any tangible correlation between a fish and a corp-relocate means that one is being meta-discussive, then yeah I'm M-D.

Discouraging  "topic drifting" seems to be too much to hope for in the pursuance of organization.

#253 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,751 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yes, this topic is drifting, so let's keep it back to Amazon searching for their second headquarters.

#254 hannerhan

hannerhan

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

Clicking on the thread expecting to read about a topic and finding something unrelated instead....nope, it isn't okay.

Sorry you had to get through six whole posts that were only tangentially related to the topic. 

Back to the subject at hand, I remain interested in seeing the results of Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location.

#255 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Clicking on the thread expecting to read about a topic and finding something unrelated instead....nope, it isn't okay.

Sorry you had to get through six whole posts that were only tangentially related to the topic. 

Back to the subject at hand, I remain interested in seeing the results of Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location.

Its okay. Suggesting that we as posters should avoid topic drifting was my objective and it was affirmed. 

I read all posts as a courtesy to all who take the time to contribute to The Forum. It is a challenge to have to sort through different posts scattered among multiple threads to post a reply.

I too am interested in Amazon's search for a 2nd corporate headquarters location. I am also interested in following the discussion about self-driving cars that has in the thread that has already been started.

#256 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Dallas has a good shot, ST article

http://www.star-tele...e184541388.html

#257 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

So, is Gordon's and his newspaper saying that Fort Worth does not have a shot?  The impression given by this article is Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?

For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

#258 tamtagon

tamtagon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:31 AM

So, is Gordon's and his newspaper saying that Fort Worth does not have a shot?  The impression given by this article is Dallas/(whatever). What do Gordon and the newspaper mean?

For me, it is further evidence that Fort Worth is the largest city in Texas without a hometown paper.

I just think it means The Star Telegram agrees Dallas has a better chance of answering Amazon's questions. Fort Worth is a long shot... (When ST considered Fort Worth's Wendy Davis unlikely to become the Governor of Texas, did that mean Fort Worth has no hometown paper?). I think Downtown Dallas is far more suitable for Amazon.

If Fort Worth becomes the big city people visit for relaxation instead of gigantic corporate work space, that's good, preferred even. 

#259 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

I just think it means The Star Telegram agrees Dallas has a better chance of answering Amazon's questions. Fort Worth is a long shot... (When ST considered Fort Worth's Wendy Davis unlikely to become the Governor of Texas, did that mean Fort Worth has no hometown paper?). I think Downtown Dallas is far more suitable for Amazon.

If Fort Worth becomes the big city people visit for relaxation instead of gigantic corporate work space, that's good, preferred even. 

No!. You are reading your own bias into the article.

I read the article.  It really is about North Texas; and no where does it suggest that Downtown Dallas has a better chance than any other part of the region.  Where in Downtown Dallas is there a suitable location for a 400 acres project that is ready to go? Tell us.

The S-T simply used the "Twitter" rule, 40 characters or less, to make a quip. Maybe the S-T is thinking that an audience beyond North Texas will read it and be unable to place Fort Worth and will be able to place Dallas, you know "Cowboys" "Kennedy Assassination"  - The S-T is simply attempting to get more eyeballs to read the article. IMO, it is foolish.  The problem is as the S-T tries this approach it creates a backlash among the core readership of its paper when it shuns Fort Worth.

Back to the topic; the quest for Amazon is only in the first stage: Regional Bid.  When or if North Texas becomes a semi-finalist, Fort Worth will get its opportunity.  Step for step, Fort Worth will be able to match anything that any other city in the region can offer.

#260 tamtagon

tamtagon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:30 AM

I must have read a different article; the one I read cited places called Dallas-Fort Worth Region, DFW, North Texas, Fort Worth, Grapevine, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta and specified Dallas several times.

The article didn't mention the Perot-Hunt proposal to spread HQ2 across Victory Park to Ross Ave, but that 250-ish acres has been widely noted as the strongest candidate from the region. 

Access to labor, cost of living, college population and state tax rank being equal for all North Texas sites, Dallas falls behind fiscal health, more than makes up with culture fit...  and there's multiple existing train stations nearby with at least two more on the way.

I'm not attempting a flame war Dallas over Fort Worth with my own bias, I'm making an observation, the same one I've made here before. 

I will add, the dedication to Fort Worth revealed by individuals like renamerusk is a big part of what will keep downtown Fort Worth step for step in the running as the bidding process labors on, bias or not!

#261 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

Yes, we are reading the same article;  and yes, the article is heavy on regionalism.

The problem that I have with the piece is its headline - "Why Dallas may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" by Gordon Dickson

Gordon's article immediately mentions North Texas, then DFW and then pivots back to Dallas before ever properly referencing Fort Worth.  It is not until seven stanzas down into the article does he actually properly singled Fort Worth as being a possible choice.  For a hometown paper, the S-T was derelict for not positioning Fort Worth at the top of the story as any "good" hometown paper would do. Imagine for just one insane moment if in the DMN, it had published a headline "Why Fort Worth may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" while really meaning North Texas, DFW..etc

At this point, these particular comments are beginning to topic drift and might be better if it is steered to the thread "Fort Worth Going, gone, gone?.." for further discussion about the shrinking image of Fort Worth.

The topic about the best location for Dallas is over in the Dallas Forum where the reading of that forum is filled with stories of the several bidders in Dallas and is where greater interest about Dallas is discussed. To my knowledge none of the Dallas proposals has a leg up or even leads the pack at this stage.  One thing is true about Dallas, it could have a potential site, the Trinity River Park, but that location is only a pipe dream at this time; it will not be ready to go in 12-18 months.

#262 PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

The headline "Why Dallas may be the best place for Amazon's second headquarters" is inappropriate for a Fort Worth newspaper.

- Dylan

#263 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

IS it still a "Ft. Worth newspaper" these days...?

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#264 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:40 PM

....I will add, the dedication to Fort Worth revealed by individuals like renamerusk is a big part of what will keep downtown Fort Worth step for step in the running as the bidding process labors on, bias or not!

Thank you Tamtagon; those are kind words. The great thing about Fort Worth is that there are many individuals beyond myself that are genuinely dedicated to Fort Worth. I am glad to be among them.

I agree with your intention to avoid a "flame storm" between Dallas and Fort Worth.  I try to remember that the two cities are not enemies; but that they are fierce and proud competitors.  Dallas is blessed with having such a bountiful supply of developers and big time dreamers.  Perhaps someday, Fort Worth will be similarly blessed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users