Fort Worth - Aerial View 1930's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fortworthman

fortworthman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, (esp. Fort Worth History), Texas History.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:09 AM

I have some old photos of Fort Worth industrial area.
Old Farmers Market and Tex Ice Cold Storage along Jones St. next to downtown Fort Worth.
I am new to the forum so be patient with me for some additional photos.
This photo is late 1930's early 1940's. Jones street is left to right in foreground. Santa Fe RR tracks.
Anyone know what that building to the left of Hotel Texas?
I made this photo large enough so viewer can see details of buildings..

FtWorthDwnTwn2-300x241.jpg

FtWorthAerial2.jpg

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#2 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:44 PM

This is the first chance I had today to see this picture. It is a great one.

You asked about the building to the "left" of the Hotel Texas. I'm not real sure to which building you are actually referring, so I will address both structures to the immediate left of the building. The three story "donut" shaped building on the block bounded by 8th, Commerce, 9th, and Main was the Metropolitan Hotel. The seven story "Richardson Romanesque" building across Main Street to the west was The Wheat Building. A small part of this building still remains, has been radically altered several times, and is now Del Frisco's.

Finally, welcome to the forum!

#3 fortworthman

fortworthman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, History, Pop Culture, (esp. Fort Worth History), Texas History.

Posted 02 September 2006 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(John T Roberts @ Aug 31 2006, 06:44 PM) View Post
This is the first chance I had today to see this picture. It is a great one.

You asked about the building to the "left" of the Hotel Texas. I'm not real sure to which building you are actually referring, so I will address both structures to the immediate left of the building. The three story "donut" shaped building on the block bounded by 8th, Commerce, 9th, and Main was the Metropolitan Hotel. The seven story "Richardson Romanesque" building across Main Street to the west was The Wheat Building. A small part of this building still remains, has been radically altered several times, and is now Del Frisco's.

Finally, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome, John. I do have some more photos from my archive to upload to the forum. I have an appreciation of the historic arhitecuture of Fort Worth. I was fortunate to be there in the 1940s.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

#4 FW_brownfields

FW_brownfields

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

Thank you so much for posting all these wonderful photos. They are a treasure!

#5 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:50 PM

At the left edge of this photo, near the top, you can make out the old Federal Building on Jennings about a block south of the art deco old City Hall. The current City Hall now stands on that site. Was the old Federal Building razed specifically to make room for City Hall, or was it gone already by then? I know it still stood in 1958 because it can be seen in this photo in front of the girders for the expansion for the telephone building.

It's a shame to me that this building was lost. It was unique in Fort Worth.

#6 FWgirl

FWgirl

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Dear fortworthman - I'm really curious about this and your other photos photo of Texas Ice. I see you've numbered all the buildings. My father retired from Texas Ice when it was demolishedin the 70's having worked there since the late 30's and we'd be really interested in finding out more.

#7 fortworthman

fortworthman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

Thank you for your comment. The numbers written on the photo were put there probably in the mid 1940's. Since this was a cold storage warehouse site, it was common in the industry to be able to identify each seperate building so as to locate where customer's commodites were stored for insertion and retrieval. The complex had the capability to store commodities at a temperature that was lower than the outside air temperature. The complex even had "blast" freezers than could lower commodities to temperatures below zero degrees very rapidly.

You may notice a small building located in right portion of the complex labled "Out". This building was the Safeways building (photo elsewhere in this forum). It was demolished for a more modern and larger building in the early 1950's titled the "Tex-Egg" building. The architecture of the "Tex-Egg" building was of the Post Modern style. The function was an egg seperation plant for large institutional companies such as bakeries. The famous cornnering of the egg commodities market of the Chicago Stock exchange was done from this site in the early 1950's. People did not know, at the time, that the market price of eggs was controled from little old Fort Worth. However, that is another story.

QUOTE (FWgirl @ Oct 19 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear fortworthman - I'm really curious about this and your other photos photo of Texas Ice. I see you've numbered all the buildings. My father retired from Texas Ice when it was demolishedin the 70's having worked there since the late 30's and we'd be really interested in finding out more.

Forth Worth Man

thguru@earthlink.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users