Photo
- - - - -

River Tower (23 Stories/267 ft./2016)

Upper West Side High Rise Residential Downtown Trinity Terrace Retirement Residential

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

I've been sitting on this for a while, but I thought I would go ahead and post an official thread for it. In November, Trinity Terrace went before the Downtown Design Review Board with Phase 3 of their project, called the River Tower. The addition to the complex basically completes the block bounded by Texas, Penn, 10th, and Fournier Streets. The new building will be taller than both the original Trinity Terrace and the City Tower. The design calls for the main entrance to be common among three buildings; however, some residential "brownstone" units will have entrances directly on West 10th Street. These units will be three levels below the main entrance to the complex. I have found out the heights of the new building, but because there are entrances on two different levels, I have put both heights in the listing. I do believe the "official" height would be taken from the main level, which is the shorter of the two heights. If you take the height from the lobby, the building is 17 floors with three basement levels. If you take it from 10th Street, the building is 20 stories. The height in feet from the main level to the penthouse parapet wall is 206'-4" and the height from the "Brownstone" level to the top is 238 feet. When you download the presentation, you will be able to see floor plans, building elevations, and photographs of the model.

Download Presentation to the Downtown Design Review Board

#2 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

I like it, wow that new tower is going to be close the old tower, but sort of masks the "dated" look of the old tower when looking South from 7th.

Blocking many views from the existing residents. Looks like a skybridge on the 18th floor?

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:29 PM

Yes, there is a skybridge at the top of the original building that goes into one of the upper levels of the new one.

#4 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:53 PM

That is really exciting news. Thanks for sharing this John. As I have stated previously, the new Tower is a fantastic looking building in my eyes. one of the nicest looking buildings in town. (maybe nicest looking.)

As I have also stated, I no longer like the looks of the old tower. I bet they will do something to change the appearance of the old place. I am glad, at a minimum, it will be more hidden by the new tower.

I am guessing they would not shell out millions for a third tower if that second new tower did not sell out quickly or they expect it to. I have heard that anything related to old people is selling well, even in a very challenging economic environment. It will be interesting what changes in society are going to take shape as the baby boom bubble hits their retirement years.

I have requested before from our viewers in TV land, information on pricing of those retirement units. I can't find anything on line.
I can tell you the punch line. I would like to live there. You know, like when I am old. Show me a few good looking nurses in their brochure and I am on their waiting list. wink.gif
www.fortworthview.com

#5 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

--

Kara B.

#6 SurplusPopulation

SurplusPopulation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

I absolutely love these towers! I'm typically more into the traditional or even traditional-esque buildings in Fort Wort. But I have to admit that I love this area, stretching from the Pier One (oops... Chesapeake) building, to the Cash America building, to that little dark gray lawyer's building, to the River & City towers to the church that was just expanded. Nice, modern area of town, IMO.

#7 vjackson

vjackson

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (SurplusPopulation @ Dec 29 2008, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I absolutely love these towers! I'm typically more into the traditional or even traditional-esque buildings in Fort Wort. But I have to admit that I love this area, stretching from the Pier One (oops... Chesapeake) building, to the Cash America building, to that little dark gray lawyer's building, to the River & City towers to the church that was just expanded. Nice, modern area of town, IMO.

I agree, that part of town is looking pretty cool and modern. I've always loved that attorney's office. I love the color and the way it fits into its surroundings. Before the new towers, I've always thought TT was most unattractive. But the first tower and now the second blend in really well with the first and give the entire development a new modern look..IMO.

#8 tjh1

tjh1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

^^^^I agree. I think that City Tower has improved the appearance of TT.

#9 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Running, bicycling, bowling, nightclub life, science, technology.

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:28 PM

Can anyone provide an update on the status of the proposed Trinity Terrace River Tower? Is the project on indefinite hold following the 2008 financial sector crisis or are new plans afoot?

#10 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:40 AM

Can anyone provide an update on the status of the proposed Trinity Terrace River Tower? Is the project on indefinite hold following the 2008 financial sector crisis or are new plans afoot?

Somehow I completely missed this new tower talk 2 years ago. Just as well as I don't see any dirt flying. I posted a pic yesterday of the Stayton and wondered if they are in direct competition with each other. The must be some competition for each other even if they have different themes or whatever. (Buy/rent/pay up front/on cost till death or whatever)

Wanted to make sure you saw this thread.
http://www.fortworth...h=1

I just posted a new photo on that thread. Was going to post it right here but thought it might be better to keep that thread moving and consolidate.
www.fortworthview.com

#11 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:43 AM

Not this new new tower. The old new Tower. No sign of the New New Tower yet.

And here is a TT Tower picture from the roof of the Chesapeake building Thursday night.

Posted Image
www.fortworthview.com

#12 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

They are now revisiting this project.  It was presented to the Downtown Design Review Board on Thursday.  The building is now increasing in height to 23 stories.  Below is a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article by Sandra Baker.

http://www.star-tele...dd-a-third.html

#13 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'm guessing the S-T meant the project is planned for the SOUTHWEST corner of Fournier and 10th St.

#14 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

They are now revisiting this project.  It was presented to the Downtown Design Review Board on Thursday.  The building is now increasing in height to 23 stories.  Below is a link to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article by Sandra Baker.

http://www.star-tele...dd-a-third.html

Good lord, I COMPLETELY forgot about this... 

Fingers crossed that they actually get some dirt moving. 

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#15 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

I had wondered if the need for an expansion would catch up sometime. Sounds like the wait may be worth it for the extra height to. It should be pushing 250'. With it's additional height on the hill, it'll probably rival Piersapeke1 for dominance on that side of the skyline. 

Great news.

#16 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Really like the idea of brownstones with private entrances on the ground floor.

#17 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:men, reading, music, and development

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

This really would be nice and could get other businesses to want start building taller

#18 Dylan

Dylan

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:16 AM

Since this will be close to the river, I'm thinking this will make a noticeable impact on our skyline from the west and appear to rival our other skyscrapers in height. Here's hoping this tower happens. B)

-Dylan

#19 Jimmy

Jimmy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

Since this will be close to the river, I'm thinking this will make a noticeable impact on our skyline from the west and appear to rival our other skyscrapers in height. Here's hoping this tower happens. B)

I was thinking the same thing as I drove along Forest Park Blvd last night.  And that it might spur even more vertical development on the east side of the river in the 7th Street corridor.

#20 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'm guessing the S-T meant the project is planned for the SOUTHWEST corner of Fournier and 10th St.

Southwest would be on the water treatment facility property.  For a time the EECU property was for sale.  Maybe they have an option on that property?

#21 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing as I drove along Forest Park Blvd last night.  And that it might spur even more vertical development on the east side of the river in the 7th Street corridor.

I think a lot of that will come with Panther Island to. 

#22 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Southwest would be on the water treatment facility property.  For a time the EECU property was for sale.  Maybe they have an option on that property?

Oops, you are right, I should have said SOUTHEAST. The S-T and I use the same proof-reader.  :closedeyes:

#23 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

With the aging baby boomers creating the market demand, I'm surprised there aren't more assisted living projects in the offing.  But this is good news for Trinity Terrace.  Also, I have been wondering where sufficient space is available in that area for a third tower.

#24 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

Would this still not be built on the remaining portion of their property as originally displayed in the models they showed?

--

Kara B.

#25 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

Any news on this? 

#26 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

?????

#27 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

I don't think anyone is holding anything back.  As soon as there's news, it will get posted here.  The developer has been sitting on this project for 5 years now.  They don't appear to be in a big hurry.

#28 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

It's back on the review committee agenda again this month

#29 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

There was also an advertisement in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this week.

#30 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

After spending this week in Austin, I'm excited for some hi-rise action of our own. Lots of fun to document. 

If it does end up being in the 230 foot range, plus the hill, it will be about 70 feet below the top of Pier1/Chesapeake. 

#31 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

After spending this week in Austin, I'm excited for some hi-rise action of our own. Lots of fun to document. 

If it does end up being in the 230 foot range, plus the hill, it will be about 70 feet below the top of Pier1/Chesapeake. 

I agree, I hope this can help with the vertical dry spell ( for lack of a better term)

16atmjd.jpg

#32 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Seems like quite a concentration of aging baby boomers.  Still mobile, disposable income, bored.  You'd think there'd be some businesses to cater to those folks nearby.

#33 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

My guess is that most of the assisted living projects are low-rise, for whatever reason.

#34 Jeriat

Jeriat

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Seems like quite a concentration of aging baby boomers.  Still mobile, disposable income, bored.  You'd think there'd be some businesses to cater to those folks nearby.

All of the Upper Westside should be developed into more than the Suburban-ish area it has become...  

7fwPZnE.png

8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

#35 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

I have seen the new plans, sections, elevations, and renderings of the River Tower.  I don't have an overall height, but the building is 6 stories taller than original building of Trinity Terrace.  There is only one section showing a floor to floor height of 10'-3".  In the section, the upper 6 floors look as if their floor to floor height is taller.  However, that drawing is not dimensioned.  If the 10'-3" height is correct on the upper floors, the building will be 61'-6" taller than Trinity Terrace.  Trinity Terrace is 158 feet tall.  This would make the River Tower rounded up to be 220 feet tall from the lobby level. 

The building will look similar to the City Tower.  There will be some changes to the signage on the complex and the metal screen on the penthouse of Trinity Terrace.  The metal panels on the screen on Trinity Terrace will be removed and replaced because it is weather damaged.  Both signs on Trinity Terrace will be removed.  The one on the east side will not be replaced, but the one on the west side will be.  A new sign will be placed on the penthouse screen on the north side of the River Tower.  It will read "Trinity Terrace".  The letters match their new font style for the complex.

#36 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

I have seen the new plans, sections, elevations, and renderings of the River Tower.  I don't have an overall height, but the building is 6 stories taller than original building of Trinity Terrace.  There is only one section showing a floor to floor height of 10'-3".  In the section, the upper 6 floors look as if their floor to floor height is taller.  However, that drawing is not dimensioned.  If the 10'-3" height is correct on the upper floors, the building will be 61'-6" taller than Trinity Terrace.  Trinity Terrace is 158 feet tall.  This would make the River Tower rounded up to be 220 feet tall from the lobby level. 

Architecturally speaking, I'm assuming that we should expect a continuation of the design established by the most recent tower now standing or are there any significant departures?

#37 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

I was editing my post when you were posting.  Please check the edited version of my earlier post.  The River Tower will more or less match the City Tower.

#38 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Any news on start of construction?

#39 youngalum

youngalum

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

It is Fort Worth--so construction will start on time in 2020--JK!!!

#40 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

They are going before the Downtown Design Review Board on Friday.  I don't know if that is the only public hearing that is needed for the project or not.  They can't start construction until all applicable regulatory boards have reviewed and approved the project.  Then, there is the building permit.

#41 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

It is Fort Worth--so construction will start on time in 2020--JK!!!

Heh, this one's been delayed several years already! I think it's used up its obligatory 5 years delay. Time to get going.

aaw I double posted :( Sorry for the mess, mods. 

#42 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

Perhaps in fairness to Trinity Terrace, my guess is the third tower was delayed by the national financial crisis which practically froze the lending industry in its tracks for a time.  Now that the economic recovery has loosened the lending practices of banks, etc., Trinity Terrace (among other assisted living entrepreneurs) is back to responding to baby-boom market demands.

#43 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

I saw an ad in the Wednesday news paper about the new tower. They are going to be starting on this building really soon. I am happy to see this because We need more height downtown even if its residential.  

#44 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

img-rendering-building2.jpg

img-rendering-building.jpg

img-rendering-dining.jpg

#45 renamerusk

renamerusk

Skyscraper Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

Great post (#44), Thanks for sharing it with us Austin.

#46 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

I would be angry if I lived on the east (I think?) side of the exisiting building and my new view was going to be the side of the new building.

#47 johnfwd

johnfwd

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

I would be angry if I lived on the east (I think?) side of the exisiting building and my new view was going to be the side of the new building.

Good point about the view, but I suspect the Trinity Terrace owners want to remain competitive, given the increased market demand for senior citizen occupancy.  Maybe they could have purchased some tract elsewhere to build on, but it was their decision to utilize the space they already have.

Austin, thanks for the artist's rendering.  I was  taken aback when I saw it because we seldom see tall buildings on this Forum these days (in light of the Fort Worth fetish for 4-6 story structures lately).

#48 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

(in light of the Fort Worth fetish for 4-6 story structures lately).

Fort Worth's just making up for lost time after suddenly realizing that there are options available beyond either the 1-2 story residence or shopping center and the 10-35 story high rise. Good urbanism consists of a good and gradual gradient between low heights / low density and large heights / high density. W7 and similar developments citywide in the 3-7 story range are just filling in a much needed gap. Doing so gives you more options in the type of Fort Worth you want to live in or visit.

And don't worry... Ordinarily as 4-6 story areas increase in value over time, they are often replaced or joined by 10+ story buildings (with new 4-6 story developments nearby). No sense in limiting ourselves to choosing between only two types of development... that's how so many cities got into such a sorry state to begin with after WWII.

#49 FWFD1247

FWFD1247

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

(in light of the Fort Worth fetish for 4-6 story structures lately).

There is a reason for all of the 4-6 story structures. Due to building and fires codes, buildings using a type 5 construction (light weight wood construction) can not exceed 5 stories. Anything more than 5 stories pretty much has to be type 1 ( Fire-resistive) which is reinforced concrete like high rises and hospitals and such. So simply by building with lightweight wood structures, like most single family residences, is much more cost efficient.
One point to make on how builders cut cost is the use of finger joints to hold to scrap pieces of wood together or wooden I-beams which are essentially particle boards and 2x4's that are used in place of the sturdier 2x12's used as main structural supports, and the use of gusset plates. All of which make the dangers of interior firefighting much more dangerous today due to the heightened risk of structural collapse.

16atmjd.jpg

#50 prideftw

prideftw

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

Is there any current news on this.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Upper West Side, High Rise Residential, Downtown, Trinity Terrace, Retirement Residential

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users