#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

On Friday, I had a chance to venture down to Cleburne.  I took a few photographs.  My two favorites are of the Johnson County Courthouse.  The first is an elevation view, taken from an alley on axis with the Courthouse.

24238899297_cf51778787_h.jpgjohnsoncourthouse3 by jtrobert, on Flickr

I also had a chance to go inside and take a shot of the center of the building.  Unfortunately, they have placed the Christmas Tree in the exact center and they have the area barricaded.  I could not take a direct photo looking up.  However, I will say one thing, the center of the building is absolutely fantastic.

39099586701_e44de04fe6_h.jpgjohnsonrotunda by jtrobert, on Flickr

A couple of blocks south of the Courthouse is the restored Liberty Hotel.  They have a nice neon sign on the corner of the building.

38217739325_fff3199636_h.jpglibertyhotel by jtrobert, on Flickr

Finally, the old Cleburne High School was converted into a courthouse annex.  The building was designed by Sanguinet & Staats and it opened in 1918.  Does this sound familiar?  It was the same architect and year as Trimble Technical High School was built in Fort Worth.

24238900387_7e671a53bb_h.jpgcleburnehigh by jtrobert, on Flickr

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Lovely photos, John. Cleburne has a very underutilized downtown.

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Thank you, Austin.  I have relatives who live there and I get down to see them every so often on weekends.  My mother actually graduated high school from the building that has now been converted into a Justice Center.   I normally don't down there on weekdays when everything is open. 

Cleburne has a relatively large downtown for a city of its size.  Even though it may be underutilized, I noticed that there weren't a lot of vacancies, which is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users