17 replies to this topic

#1 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:42 PM

Last night, on the way home from work, I was going southbound on I-35 passing by downtown and I saw something I haven't seen in forever... the former Radio Shack towers trademark letters were lit up! I dunno who the genius who designed a low/mid rise building with letters spelt out (Can't never see what the thing says unless you right in front of the towers) Anyways, all I could see was on the 1st tower was "CI" and the 2nd tower said "PLAC". "City Place"????? If so who/what is that?
I could of swore I heard somewhere all the bulbs were removed?

John, or anyone with some inside info know why the towers were lit up last night? I though Radio Shack was all moved out.

#2 Y2J

Y2J

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:02 PM

I noticed that too, it was like around 7:30pm

#3 DJASONMILLER

DJASONMILLER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, Sailing, Exotic cars, Aviation, My family, Travel<br />My Personal website www.jasonmiller.com

Posted 14 December 2005 - 02:54 PM

They were on as late as 9:30pm when I drove through downtown.

I sure miss the candles that used to be on the Tandy center during Christmas back in the day!
Let me help you with your Real Estate needs
Jason Miller
Coldwell Banker
817-437-7878

#4 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:00 PM

"City Place" is the name of the new development on the site. The lights have been on for about a week now. It has been reported that the lights will come down when the buildings are converted/remodeled, to make room for more windows and balconies.

#5 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:58 PM

thanks hooked for the info, and to djasonmiller, i miss the candles on them too

#6 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:34 PM

I got to play in the basement yesterday. Talked to the real estate agent about the whole project while touring the subway station and tunnel. I think the north tower has the better views of the river, courthouse and bluff, but I suppose the reason the residential element will be in the south tower is because it is closer to Sundance Square. Most of the subway area and the skating rink are going to be filled in level and used for parking. I imagine they will be getting started early next year.
Www.fortwortharchitecture.com

#7 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

Hey Andy, next time phone a friend, OK? I love to play in basements!

#8 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(hooked @ Dec 15 2005, 11:17 AM) View Post

Hey Andy, next time phone a friend, OK? I love to play in basements!

I think we're actually going back within a week to remove some of the switch engines from the subway track and some signs and stuff. I don't think I can lead a tour down there, but there may be room for some extra help.

#9 safly

safly

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts
  • Interests:Restaurants. Golf. Garlic. FIESTA. Beer ME.

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:16 PM

I'm in! I'll bring lunch.
COWTOWN! Get your TIP ON!
www.iheartfw.com

#10 gdvanc

gdvanc
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:55 AM

City Place? Sweet! I've been secretly hoping more of our new developments would be named for developments in Dallas. You can play funny jokes on your friends like tell them to meet you at City Place, but not tell them which one! (I also think we should call Loop 820 "LBJ" and maybe 183 can be called "Marvin D. Love Freeway". Can you imagine the fun we could have with that?!)

This also avoids that awkward sense of originality.

Whenever someone mentions the City Place in Dallas (or West Palm Beach, or Durham, or St. Louis, or...), I can bring Fort Worth into the conversation by saying something like, "Do you mean the one in Fort Worth? 'Cause, you know, we have one, too."

#11 Call me Arch Stanton

Call me Arch Stanton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(gdvanc @ Dec 16 2005, 11:55 AM) View Post

City Place? Sweet! I've been secretly hoping more of our new developments would be named for developments in Dallas. You can play funny jokes on your friends like tell them to meet you at City Place, but not tell them which one! (I also think we should call Loop 820 "LBJ" and maybe 183 can be called "Marvin D. Love Freeway". Can you imagine the fun we could have with that?!)

This also avoids that awkward sense of originality.

Whenever someone mentions the City Place in Dallas (or West Palm Beach, or Durham, or St. Louis, or...), I can bring Fort Worth into the conversation by saying something like, "Do you mean the one in Fort Worth? 'Cause, you know, we have one, too."

*chuckles oddly*

#12 Urbndwlr

Urbndwlr

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE(AndyN @ Dec 15 2005, 01:34 AM) View Post

I got to play in the basement yesterday. Talked to the real estate agent about the whole project while touring the subway station and tunnel. I think the north tower has the better views of the river, courthouse and bluff, but I suppose the reason the residential element will be in the south tower is because it is closer to Sundance Square. Most of the subway area and the skating rink are going to be filled in level and used for parking. I imagine they will be getting started early next year.

What real estate agency did they hire to market the building? Did they say anything about any retail leases that have been signed? (or about any tenants or types of tenants we should expect to see there?)

#13 DrkLts

DrkLts

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Besides the towers, the sky above downtown lights up as well. Why are spotlights spinning from downtown during the weekend? Any downtown event I might not know about?

#14 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE(Urbndwlr @ Dec 19 2005, 06:19 PM) View Post

QUOTE(AndyN @ Dec 15 2005, 01:34 AM) View Post

What real estate agency did they hire to market the building? Did they say anything about any retail leases that have been signed? (or about any tenants or types of tenants we should expect to see there?)

I don't recall all the details of the conversation, but it looks like I will be back over there this Thursday and/or Friday. I'll get a business card from the REA and pay attention to details this time.

#15 hooked

hooked

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

I heard that Turner Construction has won the contract to do the construction. They also did the re-model on the Tower.

#16 cberen1

cberen1

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

I was surprised to hear that the CEO of my company has either bought a condo or bought the rights to a condo in the Tandy building. I didn't think things were that far along. I heard it second hand, but from a very reliable source. So, I'm not sure what the specific transaction was, but something is moving.

#17 AndyN

AndyN

Skyscraper Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

I think he said they are looking to start serious construction in 2nd quarter of 2006. From the looks of it, there has been some sort of demolition going on. I don't know if it's just from RadioShack pulling out, but there is a lot of junk that's been ripped out and lying in piles.

#18 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:51 PM

This is not RadioShack's demolition. I believe that they vacated the property during the early part of the year. Since then, it has been turned over to PNL. I believe some permits have already been pulled on the site for them begin the conversion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users