20 replies to this topic

#1 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

I normally have Mondays off and I found myself with a pretty clear agenda today, so I decided to take the TRE to Dallas and ride the new green line on its first day of service. I rode the TRE on its first day of service out of the T&P station nearly 8 years ago and I thought it might be fun to do the same with the green line.

I rode the TRE from Hurst/Bell to Victory and transferred to the green line. I took the green line to Fair Park, stepped out to take some pics of the new station, returned to the West End for a few pics, and then back to Victory with about 40 minutes to spare before my train back to Hurst departed. The green line trains are running about every 20 minutes and they were mostly empty outside of the short stretch between the West End and Pearl.

Here are some of my pics from the trip:

Hurst/Bell station:

Victory Station:

Victory and fog-shrouded downtown. A pretty crummy day for photography.

Green line train leaving north out of Victory to switch to track 2 for the southbound trip. The green line construction north out of Victory is nearly complete up to the new Market Center station behind the Info Mart.

Awnings at Fair Park station:

#2 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

Looking south from Fair Park:

Looking north from Fair Park. As you can see, the station was nearly deserted.

Baylor station plaza. There's a really nice looking TOD area on the opposite side of the tracks from the plaza. I didn't get off the train there, so I really couldn't get a clear shot of it.

A DMN reporter approached me on the train at the Baylor station and asked me a few questions about what I was doing. He said I was the first non-DART employee that he found on that train. A couple of Downtown Safety Patrol officers talked to me on the train and a friendly fare enforcement employee stopped and asked me if I had gotten some good shots.

The Traveling Man sculpture at the Deep Ellum Station (which didn't really seem like it was very close to where the action is in Deep Ellum, but I suppose that could change.):

A building in Deep Ellum welcomes the green line:

#3 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

TRE train crossing the triple underpass:

Old Red Courthouse and one of the Dealey Plaza pools:

Bank of America tower:

AT&T Plaza at Victory. This area is sadly deserted.

W Hotel:

Hope you enjoyed my pics. I want to try this again some time when the weather isn't so bad. It really turned nasty when I made it back to Victory and I ended up waiting under the cover of the station platform for 30 minutes for the train to leave. The TRE train ran about 3 minutes slow on the east bound trip and ended falling about 2 minutes behind on the west bound between West Irving and Centerport.

#4 UncaMikey

UncaMikey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:34 PM

A lot of great shots, thanks for posting them -- and that Fair Park station looks really nice. I love that Traveling Man sculpture at Deep Ellum.

I am impressed.

#5 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 05:01 PM

Agree with UncaMikey,

A real treat to get such fast shots of the Green Line. Very nicely done. And to me, the weather just added class to all the shots. Bravo!
www.fortworthview.com

#6 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:20 AM

I have to agree with previous posts,
the weather gave the shots charatcer. Lots of folks can shoot on a pretty day- thanks.

The Green Line is a great addition,
running the TRE on Sunday during the State Fair is terrific.
I'll likely go to the fair this year for that reason alone!

Jim

#7 cajunmike

cajunmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Golf, hunting, geneology

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

Very nice. I have not been to that area in a long time.
Mike

#8 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts
  • Interests:Writing, music, photography, games, sci-fi.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

Greatness. I really look forward to going to Dallas (something I don't say much) and giving the Green Line a ride. Transit is one area where Big D definitely has it all over Fort Worth.

- Architecture/urban planning/transit blogger, Fort Worth Weekly

Fort Worth District 9 Zoning Commissioner

#9 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:25 AM

Great pics!
How long exactly would you say the trip from Hurst/Bell station to Fair Park was?and how long from Victory to Fair Park?Trying to get an estimate,to try to talk some relatives into riding rail to the State Fair this year instead of driving.I want to be prepared when they ask how long it takes.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#10 Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:04 AM

Visit Dart's schedule web site at: http://www.dart.org/...s/schedules.asp

I checked and found the following for the 25th of Sept (a Sunday and 1st day of State Fair)

Depart Fort Worth's Intermodal Station at 12:24pm headed east towards Union Station, Dallas
Arrive at Victory Station, Dallas at 1:10pm

Transfer to DART Green Line, departing at 1:20pm
Arrive Fair Park Station at 1:37pm

Total time: 1 hour, 13 minutes!

Oh, and then no charge for Fair's Parking, and no Traffic problems coming or going!
Take a deck of cards , get a table on TRE, and enjoy the ride.

Jim

#11 JBB

JBB

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the compliments. It was a fun day-off adventure. I wish I had more time and better weather to explore West Village and Mockingbird Station.

I didn't pay attention to how long the trip took, but checking the schedules during the time I was riding, it looks like my trip was just a few minutes short of an hour to Fair Park.

The Fair Park station is really sharp looking. The neighborhood surrounding the station looks to have a lot of potential.

#12 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

Surrounding Cities Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (JBB @ Sep 15 2009, 12:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Fair Park station is really sharp looking. The neighborhood surrounding the station looks to have a lot of potential.

Hats off to Dallas for taking the lead in developing and implementing the only true urban rail transit system in the region. Could this be a future Fort Worth Forum field trip? I nominate JBB as tour guide.

#13 texastrill

texastrill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info.Even if no one i know wants to take the ride on rail to the SF,I know I will.The years TX/ou game will be my fifth in a row,so the trip will be a gift to myself.
T E X A S T R I L L - G O C O W B O Y S

#14 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

Here are my own random views from the Green Line:

#15 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:05 AM

Really excellent pictures..

While the two cities have somewhat different transit requirements I think think that the Dart concept is much more integrated and makes much more sense than the rather pathetic fumble that constitutes the current Fort Worth plan which is just a jumble of unrelated elements clumped together for mostly political purposes. If nothing else, the Dart light rail system is professionally done with rational destinations and good integration into the communities. In contrast to the Tarrant County area plan, Dart has communites clamoring for their service.

While the equipment pictures are impressive and possibly alluring to the potential rider, the real importance lies in where Dart goes and why it goes there. Light rail in the Dart sense may be overkill for Fort Worth but the underlying conceptual thinking that Dart is using is something that is badly needed in the Fort Worth transit mix.

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#16 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (djold1 @ Sep 20 2009, 06:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the equipment pictures are impressive and possibly alluring to the potential rider, the real importance lies in where Dart goes and why it goes there.

I still don't get why you think that the Fort Worth plan is going to the wrong places - what exactly is so different about Fort Worth linking, for example, Downtown and the Near Southside compared to Dallas linking Downtown and Deep Ellum? They're both destinations, they both have a residential population...the Near Southside has an even greater number of employees.

The Fort Worth plan makes perfectly good sense. It's designed not just for tourists, but for residents (primarily, I'd even say, which is a good thing). For our initial system, I really don't see any better set of destinations than Downtown, the Near Southside, and the Cultural District, unless you just want to build some kind of glorified tourist trolley - which would be exactly the wrong thing to do. You have yet to demonstrate convincingly to me why "where it goes and why it goes there" is so wrong with the Fort Worth system. Connecting our redeveloping neighborhoods with an effective transit circulation system (ie, not what we have with The T) is more important to the future of this city that shuffling tourists off to the Stockyards and leaving 7th Street as a car-reliant mess. And it's no more "political" than DART's system surely has been.

#17 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Photography, American History

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

I find the Traveling Man sculpture interesting, so I made trip to Dallas to get my own photos on Thanksgiving Day. Some of the reviews I read showed mixed feelings about the sculptures.

Traveling Man awakening:

Waiting for the train:

Walking Tall:

#18 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:53 AM

Great pictures Brian!

I am thinking you caught one of very few really clean air days lately. Be it humidity, pollen, pollution, fog or cosmic dust, it seems like there are few such pretty days lately. My whole day is pretty much wrapped up in the atmospheric conditions. (with my hobby of pretty exclusively photographing the distance, be it distant cities or Stars) I always wish I could find a source on air quality. As far as visibility. I find nothing. The national weather service only states visibility to 10 miles. (which we achieve on some of the ugliest of days)

I want to know HOW clear the air is. And why it is not more clear. (like a brief description of "fires burning in South America" or "Pollen combined with high humidity" or "heavy fireplace usage"or "Hillbillies South of town burning tires in their back yard" or whatever.) And as long as I am dreaming, I would love predictions, if possible in advance, of viewing conditions. That may be something I need to ask Santa for. You know... along with World Peace and loud motorcycles evaporating.

Any way, all this ranting is a result of you posting pics that include a really clean sky. Very nice shots. I guess as it was Thanksgiving day you were not riding the green line.
www.fortworthview.com

#19 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

Great blue's in your images. Looks like you might be using a filter

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#20 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Photography, American History

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the comments. I did use a polarizer on the lens to enhance the blue in the sky. The weather was great that day. I took some photos at Fair Park as well. Surprising, DART was operating that day. I assumed since it was a holiday, they would not and never bothered to look at the operating schedule.

#21 Art Cooler

Art Cooler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:photography, chess

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

Nice pictures from all who contributed here!

My wife and I did the TRE/Green Line trip to and from Fair Park for the state fair this past week...it's excellent! No hassles, DART delivers you right to the main gate of the fair. You can't beat it.

Didn't want to double post so I put my pics of the trains and stations up in the State Fair thread I started.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users