• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Nice video

#52 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Are there any comments about the maps and layout of the future routes?

#53 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • Interests:running, cycling, geocaching, photography, gardening, hunting, fishing...

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I found an error in the map near where I live and submitted a correction to Julia McCleeary at the City. I found it interesting that the crushed limestone trails that already exist on many parts of the Trinity River levees are not shown on the map at all. Nor in many cases are they slated for upgrade to paved surface.

Overall I think the routes look mostly logical and make sense, but the biggest barrier for cyclists is the river. When it goes up, and the low water crossings are flooded, there are not many options for getting across. Think southwest of downtown between Woodshed and Bryant Irvin. Also downstream from Samuels, there are no options other than 4th St, which would work great if they would get rid of the chains that block riders from re-accessing the trails after crossing. I plan to take some photos of these barriers and forward them onto the City in hopes that this low hanging fruit can be picked!

#54 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,407 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Please forward your issues directly to the Mayor as well as others in the city. She has been very diligent on getting things fixed along her Tour de Fort Worth routes. I don't look at the river being up above the crossings as that much of a barrier. Over on the east side of town, there aren't many bicycle friendly locations to get across the river. I'm lucky that I catch the trail at the bridge on University Drive. Even with the crossings under water, that still allows me a good ride in each direction before I either choose to cross on a busy street, or I turn around. After most rains, the crossings become passable within a few days. The one good news in an area where you reference is that the Clear Fork Main Street Bridge under construction between Hulen and Bryant Irvin will have a dedicated bicycle/pedestrian bridge just for crossing the river. When the Phyllis Tilley Bridge, just south of Lancaster, is completed, that should provide better connectivity from both sides of the river.

#55 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Actually, Julia McCleeary is the correct person to send your info to. She is the city planner in charge of cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. And +1 on John's comment about additional river crossings for bicycles. In the next year or two there should be many more options. When 7th Street is redone I believe that will also have dedicated lanes for bikes.
My blog: Doohickie

#56 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm looking forward to the additional crossings at W 7th, etc. But just to clarify, them problem isn't driving across, it's reconnecting to the Trinity Trail once you do. You can certainly cross on any of the bridges we already have in place (Main, 4th, Riverside) but good luck getting back onto the trail once you do. The denied connections at the west side of the 4th Street crossing is the one I am most familiar with due to my home location, but I'm sure there are many others.

http://tinyurl.com/bmqqn82

The mayor herself is already aware of the lack of connectivity at LaGrave field after her ride there a couple of weeks ago.

#57 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Agreed. Those are little things for me; I'll just pick up the bike and put it over on the other side of the fence. But some people would have trouble with that; I can't imagine my wife getting her bulky cruiser over.

I think telling the mayor is a good contact, but Julia McCleeary is the best contact; bicycle infrastructure is her job, and she's the official city contact (scroll down the page for a link to her email). Her budget is limited, but in the case of providing a bike pass-through past an automobile gate on an existing trail, I think the cost would be relatively low (mostly labor and maybe a few posts). I think that's the kind of stuff she might be able to do something about on a short timescale.

#58 Russ Graham

Russ Graham

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:16 AM

I went to a "PUBlic Knowlege" presentation on Tuesday - these are presented by the FW Museum of Science; typically they cover some scientific topic. This time was a presentation on "What Makes Communities Grow". It was held at Live Oak Lounge, which is a really cool venue by the way. Anyway, long story short, I enjoyed hearing from Bill Smith (FWSI) and Lisa Powers (Camp Bowie Dist), but the guy from my neighborhood in West 7th really worried me. I forget the guy's name [it wasn't Jimmy Jenkins] but he said he was the executive director of the Cultural District Alliance. Somebody asked him how he would improve bike safety along West 7th, and he said the CDA was going to push to move the bike lanes off of West 7th onto Crockett. Of course this is a ridiculous idea; Crockett is only 3 blocks long; then you would have to cycle through La Familia. I guess the point is there are influential people out there that still think they can get rid of the bike lanes on 7th. If that happened it would be really bad publicity for any business associated with the CDA - so I would suggest they find themselves a different executive director that knows the city better than that (in case anybody out there is listening from the CDA).

#59 mmmdan

mmmdan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

I was there as well. It probably didn't help that while he grew up in Fort Worth, he now lives and Arlington, and he made it sound like it was his first time in the south side.

He seemed a bit out of touch with where I feel that Fort Worth is going.

#60 Doohickie

Doohickie

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Burn 'im!

#61 Volare

Volare

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Ugh. Sounds like some letters need to be written and this guy needs to go back to Arlington.

#62 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Here is the link to an article posted to "Grid Chicago" blog about how to get around big cities by bicycle. Grid Chicago is dedicated to issues involving sustainable transportation, projects, and culture in the windy city.

http://gridchicago.c...cities-by-bike/

#63 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Bike lanes are a part of the proposed re-striping of Race Street between Sylvania and Belknap Streets. Bike transportation supporters can attend a community meeting on November 15.

http://fortworthtexa....aspx?id=104252

#64 Thurman52

Thurman52

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Also trail extension along east side of the river along parkview. http://www.fortworth...date=11/12/2012

#65 downtowndweller

downtowndweller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Just a heads up...

The city removed the separated bike lane on 3rd Street between Grove Street and Terry Street and turned it into a sharrow lane. Not sure why.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users