seurto's Content

There have been 173 items by seurto (Search limited from 20-April 23)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#41647 Looking for a good retail space in FW

Posted by seurto on 16 November 2007 - 05:00 PM in Commercial

Just to throw out some ideas and completely not knowing if it fits your criteria (other than being on the SW side of town), but on Trail Lake and I-20 there are two shopping centers across from each other, both have smaller spaces available right now. I couldn't guess the sizes, rents, etc., but there may be some dealing room with Trail Lake Plaza (E side of Trail Lake) with the Sonic in the parking lot. That is a very busy corner, there is a Starbucks as well as Subway, CVS, Sherwin Williams, two gas stations and some other things in that general vacinity.

#41402 Al Hayne Memorial

Posted by seurto on 08 November 2007 - 07:36 AM in Local History

QUOTE(cbellomy @ Nov 8 2007, 01:09 AM) View Post

That is an amazing photo!! Thank you for showing that one. As I've said before about the Spring Palace story, I think it would make a good movie -- any indie film makers out there??

#40452 Rahr Gathering?

Posted by seurto on 03 October 2007 - 01:01 PM in Arts and Entertainment

I think something like this would fit very well under the BMOC Banner!! I'm certainly game. I'm not a big beer drinker, but always willing to try anything. Unfortunately, my Saturdays in October are pretty full. If y'all decide to wait until November, I'm definitely in!! Sounds like a lot of fun! happy.gif

#40357 Good Bye to a Ridglea Landmark

Posted by seurto on 26 September 2007 - 06:23 AM in Local History

I, too, am very sad to see this place close. There have been many times I've just gone in to look around and imagine what Cox's was in it's heyday. I actually spent more time in the Cox's off Berry where I took my mother and neighbor lady to shop. I remember when we first moved up here in '67 and going to Cox's with Mom; she picked a dress to try on, the sales lady took her to a huge dressing room, helped her out of her dress and into the new one, then ran back and forth making suggestions, each time helping and being very attentive, like we were the only people in the whole store. Then many, many years later I went in to buy a blouse or dress or something, and 2 or 3 days later, received thank you card from the saleslady for the purchase.

Our generation really missed something. I'm going to miss the old place cry.gif

#40273 Congratulations Fort Worth Forum!

Posted by seurto on 20 September 2007 - 06:50 AM in Arts and Entertainment

I'm ALWAYS ready for a BMOC and Forum Meeting. Unfortunately, I'm tied up 10/12 and 10/19, but if y'all decide on any other Friday, I'm THERE!!!! happy.gif

Congrats on the Forum Honors!! Even us non-architect-in-the-least-types LUV IT. biggrin.gif

#39794 Westside - Green Oaks Hotel to be Demolished

Posted by seurto on 27 August 2007 - 09:43 PM in Commercial

Ditto on the sux part sad.gif

#39687 I'm goin home

Posted by seurto on 20 August 2007 - 06:57 AM in Miscellaneous

QUOTE(JBB @ Aug 18 2007, 10:47 AM) View Post

The Zoo hasn't had any connection to the Forest Park Train in 20 years. If you're not allowed to ride from Trinity Park to Forest Park on the train, that's no fault of the zoo.

I was just being a little smarta$$y - not talking bad about the zoo. s'ok, everything's good.

#39675 Interchange Photo

Posted by seurto on 18 August 2007 - 09:33 PM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

QUOTE(Prairie Pup @ Aug 18 2007, 10:37 AM) View Post

QUOTE(bfg9000d @ Aug 17 2007, 12:21 PM) View Post

...Seems no photos where taken just before the interchange was demolished or prior to 1990 or such.

Part of that original cloverleaf interchange still exists, carrying access road traffic from the south off of I-35W up to the east bound lanes of I-20. I grew up off of that highway between Trail Lake and Westcreek Dr. (used to be exits and entrance ramps there) and still have a hard time remembering to call the road "I-20" and not Loop 820.

Is that the honest-to-God truth!? - Seminary South, TCJC, loop 820! laugh.gif

#39651 I'm goin home

Posted by seurto on 17 August 2007 - 11:08 PM in Miscellaneous

Hey GenE!! How's it going?!

RE: The Zoo train; I don't know for sure, but I think you have to board it in the Zoo and it just loops back around. I 'm thinking you can't ride it into the Zoo (you don't get to pay for parking that way! smilewinkgrin.gif ).

There is always the Log Cabin Village across University, too. I'm not sure what's really good with a 2 yo.

#39639 Interchange Photo

Posted by seurto on 17 August 2007 - 10:57 AM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

I'm off the Trail Lake Dr exit. We moved up here in '67 so the area had already grown quite a bit by then. My late husband lived in the Greenbriar neighborhood and remembered walking across the freeway when it was being built. It would be very interesting to see a photo from the same spot in '67 and now in '07.

#39633 KFJZ - The old KFJZ

Posted by seurto on 17 August 2007 - 06:58 AM in Local History

Hey DaveS - welcome to the FW Forum! You'll love it. I don't remember when L Shannon came to Paschal (being a former Paschalite myself), but do remember him and Mark E Baby coming to McLean and signing autographs in the gym. Our radio was ALWAYS on KFJZ I think!

#39631 Interchange Photo

Posted by seurto on 17 August 2007 - 06:46 AM in Fort Worth & Dallas Urban Photos

Wow! What a great photo! What year was that? My neighborhood is still west a couple of exits, but it's sooo empty! I drove that cloverleaf many a time!

#39467 Best Fort Worth BBQ

Posted by seurto on 07 August 2007 - 03:19 PM in Arts and Entertainment

Cousin's on McCart, hands down.
Railhead.
The Galleries was another absolute top fav of mine; unfortunately they are nothing but a memory now cry.gif

I luv BBQ cheeburga.gif

#39410 What Was The Restaurant On The Hill?

Posted by seurto on 03 August 2007 - 06:54 AM in Local History

You'll probably get a lot of replies on that question. I believe the last incarnation was The Fort Worth Cattle Co. which was, obviously, a steakhouse. I believe originally it was called Luminaras and had a few changes in between. Considered one of the best views of downtown you had to get to it off Lancaster. It was a cool place and I believe the story goes that the original owners tried to buy out a pig farmer whose land was connected, but he wouldn't sell, so supposedly there was some "ambience" that came with it.

#39405 Bluebonnet Circle Condos?

Posted by seurto on 02 August 2007 - 04:21 PM in Residential

I was wondering about those apartments; when we drove by Sunday, it was obviously they wouldn't be standing much longer; sidewalks torn up, fence up, asbestos signs on the doors. It will be interesting to see what happens.

There is a street, Rashti, that intersects with Trail Lake Drive, northish of Manderly and southish of South Dr.

#39343 Old Clark Mansion

Posted by seurto on 30 July 2007 - 10:02 AM in Local History

We went past the house yesteday after a WONDERFUL breakfast at the Park Hill Cafe. They (someone) has done a TON of work on the house, it's really looking good. They are doing, I guess, foundation work now as there is a mountain of dirt in the front yard and a trench around the house. I sure hope whoever is doing all this work has an open house when they finish. I can't even fathom the amount of $$ they must be spending.

#39307 Cafe Express Closes

Posted by seurto on 26 July 2007 - 07:02 AM in Miscellaneous

Yeah, I'm disappointed, too. My niece worked there a year or so before starting chef school, so we ate pretty often; very tastey and fresh. Apparently it is a Jack in the Box derivative, but I wouldn't have guessed. I didn't realize the Wolf Camera closed, tho; that's too bad.

#39292 Older darkroom equipment

Posted by seurto on 24 July 2007 - 09:43 AM in General Photography

I was cleaning out stuff for a garage sale last weekend and ran across my old darkroom equipment. I really have no place to use it and it's been so long, I don't think I know how any more. In any event, I really, really hate the thought of throwing it out. So, I was going to see if anyone still used this kind of stuff anymore and if they would be intested in giving it a new home.

What I have is a Durst F-30 enlarger, 24x36 mm with a 1:35 50 mm. lens; it is, of course, on the stand with the base. I also have a Gralite timer, 4/1 easel and red safelight, and I may still have a film canister. I don't guarantee any of this works 100%, but the last time I used it ('79/'80 or so) it worked great. I had tons of fun doing darkroom, just no where to put it now.

I know this is dinosaur equipment, but maybe someone is interested in "antiques." It will be their's for the taking. cool.gif

#39279 Flying Fish Restaurant

Posted by seurto on 23 July 2007 - 01:19 PM in Arts and Entertainment

I've not been there yet, but believe it is on Montgomery just south (?) of 30 and across the street from Railhead BBQ, just north (?) of Vickery.

It seems like there was a "Flying Fish" way back in the days of Zuider Zee. Am I remembering that right or off on a whole 'nother plane as usual? Does anyone know? Couldn't even guess where it was or anything else about it, just sounds familiar.

#39223 Redeveloping The Masonic Home Property

Posted by seurto on 19 July 2007 - 06:11 AM in Residential

I'm curious about whether anyone remembered to unchain FireEater from the K of P bldg? He seems to be missing from this discussion. cool.gif

#39147 Redeveloping The Masonic Home Property

Posted by seurto on 17 July 2007 - 06:16 AM in Residential

I have to say, I'm really surprised there isn't more opposition to this. These buildings seem much more significant historically than the Knights of Pythias building, and yet no hoo-ha. I guess historical preservation is very subjective, and maybe it should be; it just seems strange that the world could end over a small structure that is very limited in it's use and will require great renovation, while here are larger structures with more significance to more people. I have no idea what kind of shape they are in, what they could be used for (weren't they a seniors' home for a while?); I do understand they are in a very valuable location. I just think it's interesting. huh.gif

#39039 Lady Bird Johnson

Posted by seurto on 12 July 2007 - 07:14 AM in Miscellaneous

I just want to comment on the loss of Lady Bird Johnson--she is someone I have greatly admired, a true Texas icon, although she probably would not believe so. This woman was the best example of a 20th Century Texas southern belle. She was strong, determined, of her own mind, yet always gracious and humble. She put up with a lot of "abuse" from a very strong minded (and also admirable-IMO) man, but held her own with him. She didn't whine, she didn't air dirty laundry, she went about her life and business with a quiet dignity and grace. Of course, Lady Bird started the Highways Beautification Project and promotion of wildflowers at a time when a lot of people thought it was trivial poppycock and just something to keep her busy. And yet this has evolved into so much of the conservation movement that is at the forefront right now. From East Texas beginnings to a truly great person, we were very lucky to have her as an example of a true Texan.

#38880 Hulen Roaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by seurto on 06 July 2007 - 11:40 AM in Miscellaneous

Y'know, I'm not defending Bennigan's or anything, but you gotta imagine that keeping roaches (or critters of any sort) out of a food based establishment is really tough right now. They've got no where else to go!! Maybe the ark the guy's building down the street.............. cool.gif

#38847 San Antonio and the Hill Country

Posted by seurto on 05 July 2007 - 07:02 AM in Urban Photos

QUOTE(safly @ Jul 5 2007, 02:09 AM)  

Anaheim is just a big ha$$$le and Orlando, from what I hear, is in the middle of nowhere.

Just to jump in - I think Orlando being in the middle of nowhere was the impetus for DisneyWorld. They basically had all the room they wanted/needed without worrying about space restrictions, zoning restrictions, etc., etc. They literally built their own city/empire. Unless there is a huge piece of land available far enough away for to keep from having a roller coaster buzz over the Alamo, I wouldn't expect there to be a Disney there any time soon. And I may be mistaken, but I'm thinking Anaheim, too, grew up around Disney, not Disney fitting into the city.

#38780 Cafe Chadra

Posted by seurto on 02 July 2007 - 06:13 AM in Arts and Entertainment

QUOTE(concretist @ Jun 30 2007, 06:51 PM) View Post

This hole in the wall came as a big shock to me. Located just south of John Peter Smith Hospital at the intersection of W Allen and Galveston is Café Chadra. They’re moving in August to a 3500 s.f. space on Park Place Ave across from where Rick Locker Room once was, it’s the space that was a dance studio. The Mediterranean food they’re serving up is very authentic, Lebanese and Italian dishes. My wife is Lebanese so I don’t praise this cuisine lightly. Check it out!

http://www.cafechadra.com/

My sis, bro-in-law and I ate there a year or so ago. The food was really, really good! Much better than Byblo's IMO. It was/is a tiny little space and got a little uncomfortable when a patient from JPS came over in his hospital gown. I'm really glad to hear they are moving to a better location. I'm sure we will frequent it more now!! cheeburga.gif