#1 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts
  • Interests:Architecture, Photography, Bicycling, Historic Preservation

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

The Jack in the Box, located on Seminary Drive closed down at the end of January for remodeling.  The building was an ugly, low slung, mansard roof screened building.  The building was gutted except for the brick walls and the glu-lam beams making up the roof.  When they remodeled it, they put in a new interior and a partial "box" roof screen, that is a completely different variation of the original box that built on the site in the 1960's.  The remodeled restaurant reopened today and I was out and about with my camera, so I took a couple of photographs of the original product right at sunset.

Before from Google Street View:

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

After from the site:

33869927570_1d677fc716_h.jpgjackinthebox2 by jtrobert, on Flickr

After, more from the front:

34213190306_cc8fdc5885_h.jpgjackinthebox by jtrobert, on Flickr

The design really isn't that special, but the restaurant looks pretty good at night.

#2 Austin55

Austin55

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

That's quite the eyecatcher. The JitB on North Main just outside the stockyards is undergoing renovations right now, I wonder if it will look the same?

#3 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

I don't know, Austin.  I will have to take a look at it, and I haven't been up to the Stockyards since before Christmas.

#4 rriojas71

rriojas71

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Interests:Real Estate, RE Development, Geography, Team Sports, Restaurants, Urban Exploring, Gaming, Travel, History

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:19 AM

That's quite the eyecatcher. The JitB on North Main just outside the stockyards is undergoing renovations right now, I wonder if it will look the same?

I drove by it this evening and it does seem to be following this design as well.

#5 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:21 AM

Even though I haven't been up to the Stockyards, my guess is that it will follow a similar design.  I have two reasons, and they are: 1. The original buildings are both similar with a fairly low roof height and wood roof structure; 2.  Both remodel projects were designed by the same architect.

#6 horticultor51

horticultor51

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:11 PM

That Seminary Drive JitB was the first I ever saw...anywhere. Brings back a lot of memories.

#7 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 08:21 PM

Welcome to the forum.  In your comment, I'm assuming that you are referring to the original building that was on the Seminary Drive site.  It was a true box.

#8 horticultor51

horticultor51

Newcomer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:32 PM

Welcome to the forum.  In your comment, I'm assuming that you are referring to the original building that was on the Seminary Drive site.  It was a true box.

Appreciate being able to participate here.

Yes, that was my reference. It made an impression on me mostly because along with the Sandy's Hamburgers east of the seminary on Seminary Drive and a hamburger place on North Wedgmont Circle (was it a What-a-Burger?), that JitB was the first true fast food place I remember in South Fort Worth. No, it was nothing to look at esthetically.

#9 John T Roberts

John T Roberts

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 08:12 AM

The first Jack in the Box that I remember was the one constructed on S. Henderson, just north of Pennsylvania.  I had my tonsils removed when I was five and I was at Fort Worth Children's Hospital for the surgery.  Jack in the Box had just opened and for my first solid food meal, I requested a hamburger from there.  My mother drove over there and delivered it to me at the hospital.  This was around 1962, and that location was the early 1960's box design.

Sandy's is actually listed over in the main portion of this website under Seminary Laundromat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Seminary Hill, Fast Food, Restaurants, Remodel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users