5 replies to this topic

#1 Fort Worthology

Fort Worthology

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

I've always thought the view of Downtown from the Near Southside is quite underrated, as it's something different from the usual western view and Downtown really looks interesting from the south. Recently, I ascended to the top of the Magnolia Green parking garage just off Magnolia on Alston and took this panorama of Downtown, comprised of 24 photos stitched together.

That's a dramatically scaled-down version of the final image. Here's a slightly larger one:

If you wish to see the full-size version, which measures 15,785 x 2,679 pixels and is something like 3.1 megabytes, click here:

http://fortwortholog...wntownpano1.jpg

--

Kara B.

#2 RD Milhollin

RD Milhollin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Atomic Glee @ Jul 6 2009, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always thought the view of Downtown from the Near Southside is quite underrated, as it's something different from the usual western view and Downtown really looks interesting from the south.

WOW, I have never noticed the massive Zeppelin hanger on the near southwest side! rolleyes.gif

This view would be a great one to use when labeling all the city's taller buildings; most of them seem to be visible from this angle.

#3 360texas

360texas

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • Interests:Digital photography, computers since 1980, Panorama imaging, world travel. After 37 years retired Federal Service 1999.

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

While the image shows an HVAC box on the left and a blank wall on the right and a roof top parapet line across the center.. it is a very good skyline panorama.

I would have used a Canon 10 to 22mm EFS lens in portrait orientation.. tripod set up and over the parapet wall... shot and Photoshop stitched the skyline.

But then I was not there for the event. Maybe next time I can help.

Ill bet the roof top HEAT was almost not great for the photo session.

Dave still at

360texas45x145.png
Visit 360texas.com

#4 cbellomy

cbellomy

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Kevin (and any other photographers with actual skill and talent),

I've been thinking about lugging my camera and tripod over to Hillside Park on East Maddox, where there is a terrific view of the skyline looking straight down the street grid from the south-southeast. Maybe one of you guys would like to give it a shot?

#5 djold1

djold1

Elite Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:28 AM

Kevin.. an excellent pan

Very stark with unexpected spacing between the more vertical buildings. I'm sure you will crop the ends for publication but in a way it's good to see it raw.

You may have come up with the signature shot from that location..

It's a keeper

Pete Charlton
The Fort Worth Gazette blog
The Lost Antique Maps of Fort Worth on CDROM
Large format reproductions of original antique and vintage Texas & southwestern maps

#6 Brian Luenser

Brian Luenser

Skyscraper Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:32 AM

Very nice. Fun to pan around on the largest image. Great job!

The view from the South is very nice. For me, the biggest obstacle to city views from the South are electric wires in the sky. Seems like there is a plethora in the near South area. Sure wish there was a cheaper solution for a sky filled with wires. And from every direction. On my way back and forth to work each day (121 and Carson area) I see lots of nice shots of downtown but would have to work with photoshop for days. And even doctored up, it isn't the same. I see lots of great shots from building tops like your garage shot. I keep thinking I am going to talk to building owners to get on their roof. I am always surprised more people that have access to roof tops don't take shots. At least they don't post them.

One of the nicest views of Fort Worth I have seen was from the blimp over the Colonial when they were having their tournament an month ago. I froze the image on my DVR to look at for quite a while. If I were a super smart guy (Like our own gdvanc) I would have figured out how to transfer that image from my DVR to a print.
www.fortworthview.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users